• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (XY Edition)

New Question: Does the region a Scatterbug/Spewpa was caught in determine what sort of Vivillon pattern it has when it evolves? Like, if I get a French Scatterbug via Wonder Trade and evolve it to Vivillon, will it have the French pattern or my local pattern?

I asked something similar to this before but I heard something recently that throws this into question. See, I'm trying to find all the Berry Mutations on my own. It's fun growing Berries, I always like Harvest Moon-esque stuff.

Anyway, here's my question -- does every Berry have another Berry it can mutate with? Or are there some Berries that don't contribute to any Mutations?

Many berries do not participate in mutations. In fact, only 26 berries take part in any sort of mutation, for a total of 13 mutation pairs.

Ah, alright, thanks. Do any of the Type Reducing Berries participate in mutations? There's so many, it'd aid my figuring-out-combos efforts if I could skip that whole swath.

A few of the combinations do use type-reducing berries. I don't know how much of a hint you would want, so I won't name any names, but if you want a bit of a hint:
The particular type-reducing berries you are looking for happen to be the only type-reducing berries that grow on the berry trees scattered throughout Kalos. There are 5 of them.

So I have a question concerning STAB and Technician. Technician powers up moves with a BP of 60 or less by 1.5x, correct? So my question is: For a move affected by both STAB and Technician do they affect the BP separately or do they stack together? For example:
Scyther uses Wing Attack(60BP)
Technician boosts it to a BP of 90.
Now, does STAB boost it by 1.5x the Technician boost(giving it an extra 45 points) or by the Base Power(giving it a 30 point boost)?

So I have a question concerning STAB and Technician. Technician powers up moves with a BP of 60 or less by 1.5x, correct? So my question is: For a move affected by both STAB and Technician do they affect the BP separately or do they stack together? For example:
Now, does STAB boost it by 1.5x the Technician boost(giving it an extra 45 points) or by the Base Power(giving it a 30 point boost)?
They stack as far as i'm aware of. So Wing Attack will have 135 BP. It's 60*1,5*1,5= 135

Last edited:

Wait, what? That...can't possibly be.

*runs off to test*

That's how time machine breeding happens and believe me it is real and I abuse the heck out of it. Once an egg is received new values are loaded for the next egg.

However if you save the game before generating an egg and the next egg created hatches a shiny pokemon then you can actually reload the game and put in something else to get a different shiny of your choosing. At least that's what a very fortunate friend of mine told me.

If I ever breed a shiny, I'll test that too.

An easier way to think about it is this. When you receive an egg from the daycare the values for the next egg are loaded and stay set until it is made and received/rejected. When I say values I mean nature, gender, ability slot, shiny (haven't tested) and which IVs are inherited from which parents and exactly what value the random IVs are.

This trick works for XY and ORAS. Because of this it's a good idea to have multiple breeding projects at once so if one spread doesn't fit someone then it can go to a pokemon that id does go well on

I guess they did that to curb soft resetting, but they had to realize we'd figure this out.

Do you HAVE to start with Magikarps?

No but Magikarp has the fastest hatch speed by a large margin. With flame body and hatch power 3 and an egg will hatch a bit after one round on the battle resort.

Holy...

I am trying this out. So to sum it up

1. Leave Magikarp couple
2. Save immediately after receiving every egg, before the Breeder gets the next one.
3. If one of them appears a shiny, reset and replace the parents with a different couple of your choice
4. Shiny pokemon of your choice GET☆??

Am I right?

I don't think so. You need to reject an egg (say "no" when the breeder asks you if you want the egg he found) at the beginning of the process.

Here's a good explanation of the general process...
Time Machine Breeding Method - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

Wait, what? That...can't possibly be.

*runs off to test*

That's how time machine breeding happens and believe me it is real and I abuse the heck out of it. Once an egg is received new values are loaded for the next egg.

However if you save the game before generating an egg and the next egg created hatches a shiny pokemon then you can actually reload the game and put in something else to get a different shiny of your choosing. At least that's what a very fortunate friend of mine told me.

If I ever breed a shiny, I'll test that too.

An easier way to think about it is this. When you receive an egg from the daycare the values for the next egg are loaded and stay set until it is made and received/rejected. When I say values I mean nature, gender, ability slot, shiny (haven't tested) and which IVs are inherited from which parents and exactly what value the random IVs are.

This trick works for XY and ORAS. Because of this it's a good idea to have multiple breeding projects at once so if one spread doesn't fit someone then it can go to a pokemon that id does go well on

I guess they did that to curb soft resetting, but they had to realize we'd figure this out.

Do you HAVE to start with Magikarps?

No but Magikarp has the fastest hatch speed by a large margin. With flame body and hatch power 3 and an egg will hatch a bit after one round on the battle resort.

Holy...

I am trying this out. So to sum it up

1. Leave Magikarp couple
2. Save immediately after receiving every egg, before the Breeder gets the next one.
3. If one of them appears a shiny, reset and replace the parents with a different couple of your choice
4. Shiny pokemon of your choice GET☆??

Am I right?

I don't think so. You need to reject an egg (say "no" when the breeder asks you if you want the egg he found) at the beginning of the process.

Here's a good explanation of the general process...
Time Machine Breeding Method - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

You don't have to reject the egg. If you save before picking up the egg and it turns out to be shiny it will stay that way if you swap out the parents as well as everything else about the baby. They tell you to reject the egg to load the new values to get things going. It's a bit overly complicated but it's for people who don't have much breeding material to start with. It is much easier to perform and understand if you have a 6iv ditto.

Then, by that logic, is it possible to control the gender?
Like, for example, I want a shiny Gallade, but it's 50/50 to hatch a male Ralts.
So going by that time machine beeding method, if I used a male-only species (like Braviary) to check for that, would it mean I'll be guaranteed a shiny male ralts?

Re: Simple Questions + Simple Answers: ORAS Edition

I just saw that Brawley one.

So is there a way to actually have more than Lisia in terms of sheen or whatever? she still starts first with my Pokemon being maxed out whist holding the scarf.

And is there any more chats with Lisia now I've just beaten her the first time? outside of meeting
Wallace which I don't actually know what to do I just imagine you have to beat her in all 5?

I just saw that Brawley one.

So is there a way to actually have more than Lisia in terms of sheen or whatever? she still starts first with my Pokemon being maxed out whist holding the scarf.

I'm confused....Lisia has never had better sheen than me. Do you only have one stat maxed or all of them? I recall someone mentioning that having the adjacent stats maxed also affects your performance since those stats are well received during the Talent portion (but I thought that would be countered by having the opposing stats maxed).

Oh right, I only had the one maxed on the two Pokemon I used against her. There's two on my Manetric but I dunno if they'd be the right ones xD

I didn't know you had to have stats on those other ones too, weird

I'm going to guess that the opposing stats (i.e., the two stats directly opposite from the contest you are in) don't negatively impact your score (or at least not to the degree that the adjacent stats increase it), or else it would have hindered my performance.

I usually just go for the Rainbow Pokeblocks so I've never encountered a scenario where Lisia had better sheen than me (even when it wasn't fully maxed out)

1) I read that the Eon Ticket distribution ends January 9th. Does that mean that after January 9th, if I Streepass someone who has an Eon Ticket, I won't get it?

2) Also, do you have to have an ORAS game to get the Eon Ticket? I've never Streetpassed anyone, I have absolutely no idea how the system works -- does the data sort of just passively download and then you activate it somehow?

3) If I get the Eon Ticket via Streetpass and don't collect it in-game, and then re-start my file, will I be able to get it in the new save file? Or does it automatically like, download and whatever as soon as you get it? (I ask 'cause I don't have ORAS yet and want to re-start my file several times to get a few extra Shiny Beldums before the distribution runs out).

You don't have to reject the egg. If you save before picking up the egg and it turns out to be shiny it will stay that way if you swap out the parents as well as everything else about the baby. They tell you to reject the egg to load the new values to get things going. It's a bit overly complicated but it's for people who don't have much breeding material to start with. It is much easier to perform and understand if you have a 6iv ditto.

Oh, cool. Kyriaki, take note. You CAN just soft-reset if you get a shiny.

Like, for example, I want a shiny Gallade, but it's 50/50 to hatch a male Ralts.
So going by that time machine beeding method, if I used a male-only species (like Braviary) to check for that, would it mean I'll be guaranteed a shiny male ralts?

Nobody is 100% sure, but from what I hear, the general thinking is, gender is randomized independently of all this Time Machine razzmatazz. So you'll still have to save scum to get the gender you want.

1) I read that the Eon Ticket distribution ends January 9th. Does that mean that after January 9th, if I Streepass someone who has an Eon Ticket, I won't get it?
Its referring to the original distributions in places like Play!Pokemon locations, so if you want to be an original carrier, you have until then.

2) Also, do you have to have an ORAS game to get the Eon Ticket? I've never Streetpassed anyone, I have absolutely no idea how the system works -- does the data sort of just passively download and then you activate it somehow?
You don't need to have the game in your 3DS, but you won't get the data unless you have enabled streetpass for ORAS for the first time (meaning that you have to own the game). There is a single "folder" created in your SD card to store streetpass data for ORAS. It is shared amongst all versions of the game, so if you have multiple versions and claim street passes in one game, the same streetpass tags are not available to be obtained in another.

3) If I get the Eon Ticket via Streetpass and don't collect it in-game, and then re-start my file, will I be able to get it in the new save file? Or does it automatically like, download and whatever as soon as you get it? (I ask 'cause I don't have ORAS yet and want to re-start my file several times to get a few extra Shiny Beldums before the distribution runs out).
I'm not entirely sure how this would work out for street passes, but I'd imagine so, as long as you haven't claimed your street passes via DexNav, since it means that your 3DS is collecting ORAS street passes since it was previously enabled to do so. However, it is very important to note that you don't know whether you have the Eon Ticket unless you've claimed it via DexNav. If you've done that, it is no longer stored in your SD card since those street passes will have been cleared. Just because you haven't claimed the ticket from the PC Lady, doesn't mean you haven't claimed your Eon Ticket for your game.

Related to this, I've seen one instance of a person claiming their street passes and then losing their Eon Ticket because they didn't save afterwards. This is because the street pass is cleared, but the game wasn't saved after receiving the street pass, meaning that the game doesn't remember getting the ticket. Once you claim your street pass via Buzz Nav and get the Eon Ticket notification, save the game.

They stack as far as i'm aware of. So Wing Attack will have 135 BP. It's 60*1,5*1,5= 135

Okay, cool! Thanks!

Its referring to the original distributions in places like Play!Pokemon locations, so if you want to be an original carrier, you have until then.

You don't need to have the game in your 3DS, but you won't get the data unless you have enabled streetpass for ORAS for the first time (meaning that you have to own the game). There is a single "folder" created in your SD card to store streetpass data for ORAS. It is shared amongst all versions of the game, so if you have multiple versions and claim street passes in one game, the same streetpass tags are not available to be obtained in another.

I'm not entirely sure how this would work out for street passes, but I'd imagine so, as long as you haven't claimed your street passes via DexNav, since it means that your 3DS is collecting ORAS street passes since it was previously enabled to do so. However, it is very important to note that you don't know whether you have the Eon Ticket unless you've claimed it via DexNav. If you've done that, it is no longer stored in your SD card since those street passes will have been cleared. Just because you haven't claimed the ticket from the PC Lady, doesn't mean you haven't claimed your Eon Ticket for your game.

Related to this, I've seen one instance of a person claiming their street passes and then losing their Eon Ticket because they didn't save afterwards. This is because the street pass is cleared, but the game wasn't saved after receiving the street pass, meaning that the game doesn't remember getting the ticket. Once you claim your street pass via Buzz Nav and get the Eon Ticket notification, save the game.

I had a similar thing happen back in Platinum with the shiny beasts distribution. I got the Entei, and then I shut off my game without saving. Later when I turned the game on I couldn't find it anywhere, and the delivery person was gone. You just have to remember to save every time you get something out of a distribution.

I regret to inform you gender is pre-set along with everything else. No amount of soft resetting will change the gender. Believe me I tried it to get my female HA Sylveon with no success. It's not so much as the gender itself being pre-set but more like the value that determines it. Pretend the value that determines gender is a number from 1-100 with the 1-50 giving male and 51-100 giving female. If the number picked is say 60 then a 50/50 gender ratio (like ralts) will be female, if it's a 75/25 gender ratio like growlithe it will be male and obviously if it's a 100 gender ratio for male it will be male. Sorry just telling it like it is. Ability slot determination works similarly.

Last edited:

I regret to inform you gender is pre-set along with everything else. No amount of soft resetting will change the gender. Believe me I tried it to get my female HA Sylveon with no success. It's not so much as the gender itself being pre-set but more like the value that determines it. Pretend the value that determines gender is a number from 1-100 with the 1-50 giving male and 51-100 giving female. If the number picked is say 60 then a 50/50 gender ratio (like ralts) will be female, if it's a 75/25 gender ratio like growlithe it will be male and obviously if it's a 100 gender ratio for male it will be male. Sorry just telling it like it is. Ability slot determination works similarly.
? I don't know why you're apologizing?? If I used a Braviary and a Ditto instead of a couple of Magikarps, then it's obviously going to guarantee an egg that will always hatch as male, right? Then if I replace the parents when the next egg is a shiny, I'd be able to get a guaranteed male shiny, right? I'm planning to get my shiny male Ralts that way instead of just blindly hatching eggs, hoping for the 50% chance of getting a male one.

Or will it not work that way?

Ah, okay, good. Thanks.

I guess that explains why there's a separate Street Pass thingy for OR than from AS, since they share data.

Hmm...I wonder if you could copy the Eon Ticket data from one SD Card to another...nah, there's probably a system in place to prevent that sort of thing.

Alright, cool. Then I'll avoid the DexNav and just rush through the game until I can trade, download a Shiny Beldum, trade it away then re-start the game. I actually got multiple Event Torchics in X like that, heh.

!!

That seems like a major oversight! I habitually save all the time in any game I play that lets me save whenever I want, but kids won't know any better and might lose their tickets!

I appreciate Nintendo trying to make use of Street Pass, and this is kind of neat, but for a rare, limited-time thingy, an esoteric system like this is only gonna cause some people to be unable to get the item. They should've just released a reusable download code like with the upcoming starters they're releasing.

Thanks for all the help :)

? I don't know why you're apologizing?? If I used a Braviary and a Ditto instead of a couple of Magikarps, then it's obviously going to guarantee an egg that will always hatch as male, right? Then if I replace the parents when the next egg is a shiny, I'd be able to get a guaranteed male shiny, right? I'm planning to get my shiny male Ralts that way instead of just blindly hatching eggs, hoping for the 50% chance of getting a male one.

Or will it not work that way?

Not quite. Basically, using the above scenario, say you got a egg with a gender value of 75. For Braviary, since it's only male, that would result in the hatched Rufflet being male. But a Ralts hatching with that same value would end up female. With different numbers (because powers of two), that's essentially how the game works.

I have a Pokemon that has max sheeness in all aspects and when I entered it into a master rank competition against her my Pokemon had 1/4 more appeal then hers.
So I'd say max out all aspects to have a greater chance of winning.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom