• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Undone type combinations

There are only a few typings that I think we shouldn't see. I wouldn't like to see an Electric/Poison pokemon, for instance: these elements are unseemly and make no sense together. Others, like an Electric/Ice pokemon, would have to be done in a very specific way: an Electric/Ice pokemon has to have a connection with the aurora I say, even though the northern/southern lights don't have anything to do with cold per se (both phenomena can be regionally connected, so they can only in that sense be connected). I think a Primal Reversion Amaura/Aurorus could be Ice/Electric. (It could also be Ice/Ground, but that wouldn't be an egregious typing.)

For all other typings, go ahead.

There are only a few typings that I think we shouldn't see. I wouldn't like to see an Electric/Poison pokemon, for instance: these elements are unseemly and make no sense together. Others, like an Electric/Ice pokemon, would have to be done in a very specific way: an Electric/Ice pokemon has to have a connection with the aurora I say, even though the northern/southern lights don't have anything to do with cold per se (both phenomena can be regionally connected, so they can only in that sense be connected). I think a Primal Reversion Amaura/Aurorus could be Ice/Electric. (It could also be Ice/Ground, but that wouldn't be an egregious typing.)

For all other typings, go ahead.

I think Electric/Poison could work. It would be a hard one, but if you think about a battery: It has acid inside it if it breaks, so one could build upon that concept I suppose.

I really don't understand why a Dark/Electric doesn't exist yet. Dark has been used with every elemental type, and every type besides Normal, Bug, Fairy.

Ghost/Rock is also something that should be done with soon. We have haunted candles, swords, coffins, dolls, lawn motors, and suits of armor.

There are some combinations that don't seem feasible, such as Psychic/Poison and Fire/Ice.

I want a Fighting/Ghost, maybe a ghost with some elements of a kung fu master.

I want Fighting/Ground, a troll-like pokemon would be a good base for this.

I really don't understand why a Dark/Electric doesn't exist yet. Dark has been used with every elemental type, and every type besides Normal, Bug, Fairy.

Especially when Luxray fits that type combination pretty well. Maybe it'll get it in a Mega Evolution.

But yeah, Electric doesn't have a lot of interesting type combinations, and most of them are through Rotom's forms. I would've hoped we'd see at least one of Electric/Fighting, Electric/Psychic, or Electric/Dark by now. Other than that:

Normal/Ghost
Grass/Fire
Fighting/Ghost
Bug/Dragon

I have ideas for all of these except Bug/Dragon too. Grass/Fire could be Mega Sunflora, Normal/Ghost could be a zombie, and Fighting/Ghost could be some kind of samurai spirit.

I have ideas for all of these except Bug/Dragon too. Grass/Fire could be Mega Sunflora, Normal/Ghost could be a zombie, and Fighting/Ghost could be some kind of samurai spirit.
Honestly, Yanmega could have been Bug/Dragon and may potentially get it in a mega evolution. Lord knows how many Bug/Flying types we already have.

Personally, I always wanted a Water/Fire pokemon, but we got that in Volcanion (when will you be mine....). Other than that Rock/Dragon, Ghost/Fairy, and a Fire/Grass pokemon that specifically isn't a mega or legendary.

On a side note: Starters that eventually evolved into Grass/Fire, Fire/Water, and Water/Grass respectively would be interesting.

Ghost/Rock is also something that should be done with soon. We have haunted candles, swords, coffins, dolls, lawn motors, and suits of armor.

There are some combinations that don't seem feasible, such as Psychic/Poison and Fire/Ice.

Fire/Ice would be an igloo. Rock/Ghost would be interesting. Probably a pyramid Pokemon? Psychic/Poison might be some sort of leech? Really not sure on that one. Steel/Poison would be equally difficult to design. I suppose it could be garbage can but I don't think that would go over well with people.

Definitely a Fire/Electric DDancer.
And a Ghost/Fighting Technician Pokemon with Shadow Sneak and Mach Punch...
and an Electric/Ice with Adaptability...
and a Steel/Poison with Levitate!

EDIT:

Fire/Ice would be an igloo. Rock/Ghost would be interesting. Probably a pyramid Pokemon? Psychic/Poison might be some sort of leech. Really not sure on that one. Steel/Poison would be equally difficult. I suppose it could be garbage can but I don't think that would go over well with people.

Steel/Poison could be something related to mercury.

I think Electric/Poison could work. It would be a hard one, but if you think about a battery: It has acid inside it if it breaks, so one could build upon that concept I suppose.
I don't want to see anything built upon such a concept though. Batteries don't primarily spit acid.

I didn't say such a pokemon with such elements couldn't be contrived (and any such pokemon I think would very much be contrived): I said such elements are unseemly. I am open to being proved wrong: Fridge-Rotom is Electric/Ice (which I declined to priorly remember) and it's debatable as to how good or bad a design that is, especially as not all Rotom appliance-forms make equal sense (an oven only produces heat: it isn't composed of heat or fire; a lawnmower likewise isn't composed of plant material, et cetera).

Anywaysssss, I've dreamt up more than enough fakemon to fill up a regional Pokedex, and many of those new pokemon would be typings we've not yet seen. I'd like to see all Normal/ pairings for one, Normal/Poison and such being good combinations. Certain other of typings I had thought up have been made in the time I was away from pokemon in Gen 6, like Dragon/Poison (my design was for a komodo dragon) and Fire/Water (my design was for a black smoker or some oceanic vent-feeder).

The Fairy type hadn't been around during the time of my last pokemon production: a lot of Fairy/ typings readily make sense. A Fairy/Dark pokemon could be some sort of dark witch queen as is popular in fairy tales, or it could suit for any of various kinds of imps. A Fairy/Ice type could be... nah, I'll let that typing go. A Fairy/Poison type could be a red, red apple.

The Fairy type could probably be paired with anything.

Last edited:
Honestly, Yanmega could have been Bug/Dragon and may potentially get it in a mega evolution. Lord knows how many Bug/Flying types we already have.

Eh, they probably won't make Yanmega Bug/Dragon, dragonflys aren't associated with dragons in Japan and there's nothing else connecting it to the Dragon type.

Rock/Dragon

Tyrantrum says hi.

Anyway, here's more of my ideas for the new type combinations:

Normal/Dark- Mega Persian (frankly the Persian line should've been retconned to this when Dark was first created).
Fire/Poison- Mega Magmortar
Fire/Fairy- Maybe Mega Rapidash?
Electric/Fighting- Mega Electivire
Poison/Psychic- A rattlesnake that uses its rattle to hypnotize its prey
Ghost/Fairy- Mega Mismagius (also should've been retconned)
Bug/Fairy- Either a typical Disney fairy or a butterfly that resembles one (the latter would probably be a regional bug)

Last edited:
Now I've thought of what Poison/Steel could be. Some sort of metal Hedgehog like Pokemon with Poisonous Barbs. Grass/Fire would be a chili pepper or if Pokemon were rated M it would be weed.

• Poison/Fire would be a Manticore Pokemon.
  • Rock/Electric should have been Nosepass, Probopass, and Gigalith.
  • Bug/Dragon would probably be inspired by Mothra.
  • Ice/Fighting would probably be a boxing Snowman
  • Fairy/Ice would make sense for a Frost Giant Pokemon
  • I imagine Ground/Fighting would be a Kangaroo. I mean it makes a lot of sense.

There are a lot of other neat type combinations out there but most of them would be very difficult to design. Poison/Fairy, Poison/Rock, Poison/Ice, Fairy/Fighting, and a lot of the Normal types would probably be nearly impossible to come up with a design for. It's a shame because Normal and Poison need more good Pokemon.

I don't want to see anything built upon such a concept though. Batteries don't primarily spit acid.

Ever had a battery explode or corrode real bad on you? (it was pretty common with the old TI-83's when I was in highschool, the darn things would just pop all the sudden and get battery acid and junk all over the inside of the calculator)

I'm not a huge fan of object type pokemon but a battery that starts as electric and becomes poison/electric via evolution into an old beat up battery leaking acid, and getting corrosion everywhere sounds like it'd work to me.

What do you even mean by "elements are unseemly"?

I'd like to see some interesting types combo'd with fairy, steel, and ground personally.

Ice/Fighting would probably be a boxing Snowman
Nah, when I think of Ice/Fighting, glass cannon comes to mind. A snowman is too bulky :p

None of the individual strengths overlap. Only one of the weaknesses are cancelled out(Rock)

Strong against:
  1. Normal
  2. Ice
  3. Steel
  4. Rock
  5. Dark
  6. Grass
  7. Flying
  8. Dragon
  9. Ground

Weak against:
  1. Psychic
  2. Flying
  3. Fairy
  4. Fire
  5. Fighting
  6. Steel

I'd love to use something of this typing...STAB SE attacks against 9 types :awww:

[Quotes, League, Ellron]

Ever had a battery explode or corrode real bad on you? (it was pretty common with the old TI-83's when I was in highschool, the darn things would just pop all the sudden and get battery acid and junk all over the inside of the calculator)

I'm not a huge fan of object type pokemon but a battery that starts as electric and becomes poison/electric via evolution into an old beat up battery leaking acid, and getting corrosion everywhere sounds like it'd work to me.

What do you even mean by "elements are unseemly"?

I'd like to see some interesting types combo'd with fairy, steel, and ground personally.
Again, batteries don't primarily spit acid.

With the broken battery idea, you're making a pokemon based off of a broken battery. It would typify worse than obsoleteness, it would typify decrepitude. It wouldn't make sense as an enduring pokemon: why would such an unnatural chemical hazard be allowed to persist, or be carried around by a ten-year old kid? As well, if it is an old battery characterized by the hazard it presents, there's no logical reason that the hazardous object wouldn't be disposed of, or else itself or whatever the source of the hazard be contained, or whatever the source of the hazard be removed. If it was decided that this pokemon's acid couldn't be removed, because, say, "this battery pokemon has powerful acid in it like many animals do in their stomach," then it would be the case that the process of restoring the pokemon's health would indeed return it to health, and likely make it a pokemon that no longer spews acid. No one is going to replenish the acid an acid-spewing battery spews save in the process of repairing it. If such a pokemon existed with such a form as its finalized and settled state, it'd be a pokemon perpetually wounded. Its pre-evolution would have more function than it.

I guess that's what I mean by "such elements are unseemly."

It may be the case that we already have pokemon like Grimer, Muk, Trubbish, Garbodor: nothing changes the facts that these pokemon are walking crimes and the most abominable pokemon after Abomasnow ever conceived (although Abomasnow's abominable nature is a feature, not a bug). Trubbish and Garbodor are particularly the worst, and they are the worst for these same reasons in the same or perhaps greater degree.

(Eelektrik gets Acid Spray: that may be the degree to which the Electric/Poison battery connection may be drawn in the pokemon world.)

Last edited:
I'd like to see an Ice-Dark Snow Leopard, just to get a really fast physical ice poke.

Steel/Poison would be equally difficult to design. I suppose it could be garbage can but I don't think that would go over well with people.

Steel poison could be something related to industrialization and pollution. It could be a robot thing that gives off heavy exhaust fumes.

Is there any Ghost/Steel type pokemon? If not I'd be interested to see what one could be like.

Honedge line.

Hmmm
Fighting fairy?
Water/bug?
Bug/ghost (even though there is Shedinja but I don't like the design) - Ghost dog with 3-4 some stinky flies flying around him.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom