• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen V remained on the DS for much of the 3DS' lifetime before they made the jump to the system with Gen VI, so it's not impossible that they'll do the same here with the New 3DS.

I think they'll probably try to avoid that this time. IIRC Nintendo wasn't too happy that the 3DS went 2 years without a main series Pokemon game.

Gen V remained on the DS for much of the 3DS' lifetime before they made the jump to the system with Gen VI, so it's not impossible that they'll do the same here with the New 3DS.

I think they'll probably try to avoid that this time. IIRC Nintendo wasn't too happy that the 3DS went 2 years without a main series Pokemon game.

That doesn't mean it won't be compatible with the 3DS (Especially considering Bank and the fact that 3DS accounts can't be shared with other handheld units meaning that you'd need Bank on the New 3DS to use it on the new 3DS, limiting the streamlining of generational migration that was promised). Also with what I've seen so far, the New 3DS feels more like a DSi than an actual new platform

That doesn't mean it won't be compatible with the 3DS (Especially considering Bank and the fact that 3DS accounts can't be shared with other handheld units meaning that you'd need Bank on the New 3DS to use it on the new 3DS, limiting the streamlining of generational migration that was promised). Also with what I've seen so far, the New 3DS feels more like a DSi than an actual new platform

That's not what I mean. I mean they probably want to avoid having the 8th gen games launch 2 years into the next handheld's launch like XY did on the 3DS. It hurt Nintendo in console sales because there weren't a lot of 3DS games in 2011 and 2012.

But why would they wait until 2017 to start pushing the New 3DS? It honestly wouldn't make any sense. It would be one thing to release the Generation VII follow-up versions in the same year as the successor, but the initial versions should be released in 2016 when the New 3DS is still Nintendo's focus.

It's also pretty obvious that Masuda is more worried about time constraints than he used to be. 4-year long generations are most likely a thing of the past.

As for the whole "No DLC" thing, this is what Masuda said upon X/Y's release:
"We like the idea that through Pokémon people can make conversation or you can become friends and that Pokémon can be a safe environment for that. In terms of DLC specifically, I don’t know what shape DLC can take in the future. But at the moment I don’t feel it’s a safe enough mode – so to speak – appropriate for Pokémon.

"There’s no download content or microtransaction content developed specifically for Pokémon X & Y. We’ve not come up with any ideas on that yet. I like the idea that Pokémon can be enjoyed with just one piece of software. You buy the game and it can be enjoyed just with that one software that you buy. That’s a key point for Game Freak."

Granted, he may change his mind, as he didn't announce how he could tie up this generation without either resorting to DLCs, third versions, or sequels.

As for the whole "No DLC" thing, this is what Masuda said upon X/Y's release:
"We like the idea that through Pokémon people can make conversation or you can become friends and that Pokémon can be a safe environment for that. In terms of DLC specifically, I don’t know what shape DLC can take in the future. But at the moment I don’t feel it’s a safe enough mode – so to speak – appropriate for Pokémon.

"There’s no download content or microtransaction content developed specifically for Pokémon X & Y. We’ve not come up with any ideas on that yet. I like the idea that Pokémon can be enjoyed with just one piece of software. You buy the game and it can be enjoyed just with that one software that you buy. That’s a key point for Game Freak."

Granted, he may change his mind, as he didn't announce how he could tie up this generation without either resorting to DLCs, third versions, or sequels.

It does feel a little hypocritical considering that you can't complete the pokedex without both games. On the other hand trading is a big factor in this series, probably to ensure that the pokedex can technically be completed with one piece of software.

I'm betting that 7th Gen is going to be a retelling of XY in this case. Basically, it'll be Gen 6.5 with new Pokemon with a compatibility patch for battling, an overhaul of the Kalos storyline, and a new side-region that was hinted by the Strage Souvenir. Is it lazy? Yes. Is it a slap in the face to XY players? Yes. Would I put it past Game Freak to pull this off instead of DLC? Definitely. At the very least, if the whole new3DS generation isn't a reboot of the Kalos story, I expect this to happen right after the main pair of games.

But why would they wait until 2017 to start pushing the New 3DS? It honestly wouldn't make any sense. It would be one thing to release the Generation VII follow-up versions in the same year as the successor, but the initial versions should be released in 2016 when the New 3DS is still Nintendo's focus.

It's also pretty obvious that Masuda is more worried about time constraints than he used to be. 4-year long generations are most likely a thing of the past.

I'm speaking mostly in hypotheticals, the thing is, while they have talked about the games on the New 3DS, there is still a precedence for them to focus on what's current with the systems and not immediately jump to the next. Similarly, as mentioned before, the New 3DS is not a completely new system, so they may not take complete advantage of it. Potentially, they could also even make a mixture of it and either have the new games take advantage of the new update without completely leaving the 3DS behind like how Gen 5 had DSi features, or follow Kallyle's idea and have the "third version" be a complete overhaul on the New 3DS.

the New 3DS is not a completely new system, so they may not take complete advantage of it. Potentially, they could also even make a mixture of it and either have the new games take advantage of the new update without completely leaving the 3DS behind like how Gen 5 had DSi features,
They would still be considered New 3DS games just as was the case for Gold and Silver despite being playable on the Game Boy. The DSi isn't a good example as it had little effect on graphics and gameplay.

or follow Kallyle's idea and have the "third version" be a complete overhaul on the New 3DS.
Except Masuda said that he didn't want to use the New 3DS for games compatible with XY. I don't see how a compatibility patch is remotely more likely than DLC.

They would still be considered New 3DS games just as was the case for Gold and Silver despite being playable on the Game Boy. The DSi isn't a good example as it had little effect on graphics and gameplay.

That's beside the point though, Gen 5 still had those DSi features, but could be played on the regular DS. So I think whatever new games are on the New 3DS will not be completely exclusive to that updated system, just take advantage of some of those features while allowing playability on the regular 3DS.

Except Masuda said that he didn't want to use the New 3DS for games compatible with XY. I don't see how a compatibility patch is remotely more likely than DLC.

I'm more inclined to believe that GF will end this generation off in the same way they have for others, via some type of "third version," then I am for DLC. While DLC is definitely possible, we do still have data for two more games that this generation could support, and I can easily see GF not changing their habits with that and still maintain that old method, whether it is Kallye's idea or the like.

What I really hope for the next year or so is to get some DLC for XY and ORAS rather than pumping out another game after only one year. It is rather tiresome to have to get a new Pokemon title every single year when I barely have the time to explore the postgame of the last title. I don't have as much time as I used to for video games.

What do I think will happen though? I think that they will release a new game, possibly with a new region/Pokemon just in time for Holiday Season 2015 so that they don't miss out on the chance to milk their cash cow.

Here's my current prediction for the future:
Late 2015 - Z if it happens at all, or a year off from main series game if it's not happening
Early 2016 - Red/Blue on the eShop for the 20th anniversary
Late 2016 - Gen 7 games, alongside Origins 2 (based on the Johto games)
Late 2017 - DP remakes
Late 2018 - Gen 7 third version or sequels or a year off from main series
Late 2019 - Gen 8 games
Late 2020 - BW remakes, possibly followed a year later by BW2 remakes

Now, to get more in-depth:
I used to say I don't want Z to happen cause third versions are a lame way to get money out of us by putting extra content that should've been there in the first place, and then I agreed with many that the fact they made sure we can complete the dex just with XY and ORAS is hinting there's no Z. I still mostly stick to all of that, yet I also still think Z is a possibility due to Masuda seeming to favor the pkmn series having yearly releases and also due to me wishing they fix some continuity issues (removing Sycamore's line saying mega evo only happened in Kalos so far, and some other things) and generally improving XY because it felt really lacking... here's some things I could see/would love them to do in a potential Z:
- obviously having all ORAS megas + new megas too
- Zygarde's new forms/megas/whatever it is
- AZ's Floette being given to us in-game
- do something with the fact Mewtwo is there, like maybe give us more backstory and lead us to catching Mew in-game considering now event pkmn can lose their event status
- do something with Lugia and the Sea Spirit's Den
- improve all the lacking things like the boring friends trio and the Team Flare plot. I vaguely remember them saying Flare obtained Xerneas/Yveltal from some forest, right? we never even got to see the place! I'd like to visit it this time...
- improve on the Looker/Emma story maybe... I felt like it should've been longer
- let the Elite Four get better when redoing the league + maybe have gym leader rematches
- upgrade the Maison to a more BF-like place but that's probably not happening considering Masuda's claims about the BF recently...

As for gen 7, I think/hope that it will bring with it Origins 2 (this way Origins + the potential Origins 2 would give us the Mega Evo universe version of Kanto and Johto while all other old regions are getting remade for this) and mega evos for the Johto starters, and hopefully for Celebi too (I want it to be grass/fairy) which could be given to us in-game maybe similarly to Deoxys in ORAS. GSC getting on the eShop sometime around then could also happen, this way other than Origins/Origins 2, at least the Kanto/Johto games would be available on the 3DS eShop in some form.

I could be way off, but that's what I'm gonna go with for now.

I think there will be a third Gen VI game. Maybe in a year or so. Spring 2016. With Gen VI megas and some new game play.
Make Clemont the 2nd gym leader and give him an anime alike team with Luxray, Dedenne and maybe a Helioptile.

Eventually with the 20 years from Red and Blue it could be Pokemon Red Z and Pokemon Blue Z with 2 "Mega Zygarde" Set between the 2 regions. Something like HeartGold and SoulSilver. First travel through 1 region and than head towards the other. Choose a Kanto starter and get a Kalos starter after completing a mission with Alexa.And finally an Anime appearance of Leaf! This B needs to go and kick Ash's as*

Than Gen VII in spring 2017. Region Based on Belgrade, wonderful city.

Last edited:
I'm predicting

2015: Z or x2/y2 or xz and yz (or az a prequel where we play as AZ After he fires the ultimate weapon)
2016:pokemon yellow remakes
2017: Gen 7
2018: gen 7 third version
2019: d/p remakes
2020: gen 8
2021: 10+19 will finally equal 21 and b/w remakes
2022: sun blows up
2022 1 week later: we all die

I think there will be one more Gen VI game that will wrap up Kalos in some fashion. I'd like for it to be a third-game type of game because Kalos is my favorite region, however I'll take just about anything. If we do return to Kalos, I would like for them to expand the region beyond the northern half of France at least (similar to how BW2 expanded Unova).

I honestly think people are reaching too much with some things. You can complete the Pokedex* with Red and Blue (and Green) and yet we got Yellow. You can complete the Pokedex with Gold and Silver (to my knowledge), but we got Crystal. I don't think the fact that you can complete the Dex between ORAS and XY is an indicator that the Kalos arc is done or even that Gen VI is over. I also doubt it'll be for the new console given how the New 3DS is largely just an internal hardware upgrade. What could they add? Player camera control? That would alienate non-New 3DS users. To top it off, it's not even announced the US (one of their biggest markets) yet.

* - barring event legendaries, of course

Last edited:
I personally think there will be a Z in the VI Gen, mostly because of Zygarde and the unfinished areas in X and Y

I honestly think people are reaching too much with some things. You can complete the Pokedex* with Red and Blue (and Green) and yet we got Yellow. You can complete the Pokedex with Gold and Silver (to my knowledge), but we got Crystal. I don't think the fact that you can complete the Dex between ORAS and XY is an indicator that the Kalos arc is done or even that Gen VI is over. I also doubt it'll be for the new console given how the New 3DS is largely just an internal hardware upgrade. What could they add? Player camera control? That would alienate non-New 3DS users. To top it off, it's not even announced the US (one of their biggest markets) yet.

1st and 2nd gen aren't really the same situation though because the Pokedex was handled differently. All of the Pokemon in existence in those games could be caught in any game (minus version exclusives), so it didn't really matter. But from 3rd gen on when they had only a fraction of the full National Dex available, it's a lot more significant when all of the Pokemon are available in two games, that has to be intentionally planned.

it's a lot more significant when all of the Pokemon are available in two games, that has to be intentionally planned.
see: grasping at straws

On the one hand Bolt might have a point with the intentionally planned part. On the other hand, there are other reasons beside "eh, screw it, lets move on to next gen already!". That aspect might had been done to make it easier for the pokedex to be completed like the other streamlining in the games (such as the Exp. Share).

On top of that, there are still 6 Mythical pokemon left to distribute, 2 of which haven't been officially revealed and one of those being implied due to those hoops in ORAS, as well as the fact that GF had surverted expectations before (Show of hands, how many of you epxted ORAS in Gen V? okay, 1...2...3...4... what that;s a lot of hand, now how many of you expected sequels instea dof a third version? Un-huh, yeah) We can;t really rely on precedents that Gens 3, 4 or even 5 have set any more. They might be throwing a curve ball with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom