• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of that, there are still 6 Mythical pokemon left to distribute, 2 of which haven't been officially revealed and one of those being implied due to those hoops in ORAS, as well as the fact that GF had surverted expectations before (Show of hands, how many of you epxted ORAS in Gen V? okay, 1...2...3...4... what that;s a lot of hand, now how many of you expected sequels instea dof a third version? Un-huh, yeah) We can;t really rely on precedents that Gens 3, 4 or even 5 have set any more. They might be throwing a curve ball with this.

Unless you were swept up by Hoenn nostalgia, you would've seen that coming a mile away actually. There was a lot more evidence against 5th gen Hoenn remakes than for it (a better example would be BW2, which didn't have as much evidence pointing towards it). Here it's closer to 50/50, there's a lot of conflicting evidence that makes it difficult to predict what's next.

Unless you were swept up by Hoenn nostalgia, you would've seen that coming a mile away actually. There was a lot more evidence against 5th gen Hoenn remakes than for it (a better example would be BW2, which didn't have as much evidence pointing towards it).

It wasn't just nostalgia though. By the time BW rolled around, people took for granted that there would be a remake every generation because FRLG and HGSS were in concurrent gens. Just saying.

Unless you were swept up by Hoenn nostalgia, you would've seen that coming a mile away actually. There was a lot more evidence against 5th gen Hoenn remakes than for it (a better example would be BW2, which didn't have as much evidence pointing towards it).

It wasn't just nostalgia though. By the time BW rolled around, people took for granted that there would be a remake every generation because FRLG and HGSS were in concurrent gens. Just saying.

Except 5th gen threw a monkey wrench into that by launching on the same handheld as 4th gen, and right around the launch of its successor no less. Common sense should've told you that they wouldn't drag that out with a remake that would be more suitable for the next handheld anyway.

On the one hand Bolt might have a point with the intentionally planned part. On the other hand, there are other reasons beside "eh, screw it, lets move on to next gen already!". That aspect might had been done to make it easier for the pokedex to be completed like the other streamlining in the games (such as the Exp. Share).
Games are, surprisingly enough, planned. It should also be noted that XY contains the bulk of the Pokemon, not ORAS. We've also seen this with the Battle Frontier. "Oh GF knows how badly we want it! It must be coming as DLC!" *GameFreak remains relatively silent on ORAS DLC* "It must be time released then! The demo showed us that they can do time released!" And what was the fate of the Battle Frontier? It wasn't released and it was confirmed that it would not be returning for ORAS and potentially the future.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is that no one knows what GameFreak will really do. We can sit around and have a circlejerk about what "hints" are in XY and ORAS but at the end of the day, we have no clue what's happening next until the game is announced.

On the one hand Bolt might have a point with the intentionally planned part. On the other hand, there are other reasons beside "eh, screw it, lets move on to next gen already!". That aspect might had been done to make it easier for the pokedex to be completed like the other streamlining in the games (such as the Exp. Share).
Games are, surprisingly enough, planned. It should also be noted that XY contains the bulk of the Pokemon, not ORAS. We've also seen this with the Battle Frontier. "Oh GF knows how badly we want it! It must be coming as DLC!" *GameFreak remains relatively silent on ORAS DLC* "It must be time released then! The demo showed us that they can do time released!" And what was the fate of the Battle Frontier? It wasn't released and it was confirmed that it would not be returning for ORAS and potentially the future.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is that no one knows what GameFreak will really do. We can sit around and have a circlejerk about what "hints" are in XY and ORAS but at the end of the day, we have no clue what's happening next until the game is announced.

This is what I was getting at in the other part of the post you quoted. GameFreak has became unpredictable. For all we know they might have even planned the loose ends to establish a Kanto/Johto dynamic with kalos and a future region. It is equally possibly that they might release another game in Gen VI to type them, ot make them exclusive to the new 3ds, or other variable and factors that we cannot organize in a neat pattern of predictable moves. Game freak is making them chaotic, subverting expectations and conventions with each new Generation now.

At this point, I don't know what to believe or expect. I just want whatever it is now. I'm bored with ORAS and bored with XY.

But I do like some people's assumptions that R/G/B/Y/G/S/C will all be uploaded to the Nintendo E-Shop during their respective 20th anniversaries.

Here's my current prediction for the future:
Late 2015 - Z if it happens at all, or a year off from main series game if it's not happening
Early 2016 - Red/Blue on the eShop for the 20th anniversary
Late 2016 - Gen 7 games, alongside Origins 2 (based on the Johto games)
Late 2017 - DP remakes
Late 2018 - Gen 7 third version or sequels or a year off from main series
Late 2019 - Gen 8 games
Late 2020 - BW remakes, possibly followed a year later by BW2 remakes

Now, to get more in-depth:
I used to say I don't want Z to happen cause third versions are a lame way to get money out of us by putting extra content that should've been there in the first place, and then I agreed with many that the fact they made sure we can complete the dex just with XY and ORAS is hinting there's no Z. I still mostly stick to all of that, yet I also still think Z is a possibility due to Masuda seeming to favor the pkmn series having yearly releases and also due to me wishing they fix some continuity issues (removing Sycamore's line saying mega evo only happened in Kalos so far, and some other things) and generally improving XY because it felt really lacking... here's some things I could see/would love them to do in a potential Z:
- obviously having all ORAS megas + new megas too
- Zygarde's new forms/megas/whatever it is
- AZ's Floette being given to us in-game
- do something with the fact Mewtwo is there, like maybe give us more backstory and lead us to catching Mew in-game considering now event pkmn can lose their event status
- do something with Lugia and the Sea Spirit's Den
- improve all the lacking things like the boring friends trio and the Team Flare plot. I vaguely remember them saying Flare obtained Xerneas/Yveltal from some forest, right? we never even got to see the place! I'd like to visit it this time...
- improve on the Looker/Emma story maybe... I felt like it should've been longer
- let the Elite Four get better when redoing the league + maybe have gym leader rematches
- upgrade the Maison to a more BF-like place but that's probably not happening considering Masuda's claims about the BF recently...

As for gen 7, I think/hope that it will bring with it Origins 2 (this way Origins + the potential Origins 2 would give us the Mega Evo universe version of Kanto and Johto while all other old regions are getting remade for this) and mega evos for the Johto starters, and hopefully for Celebi too (I want it to be grass/fairy) which could be given to us in-game maybe similarly to Deoxys in ORAS. GSC getting on the eShop sometime around then could also happen, this way other than Origins/Origins 2, at least the Kanto/Johto games would be available on the 3DS eShop in some form.

I could be way off, but that's what I'm gonna go with for now.
Honestly, I don't see remakes getting a 3 year gap between each other unless they really do have a plan to join everything in a mega-evo overall plot. In that case, then yeah, DP in 2017 would be perfect, still close enough to Kalos' generation, especially if Gen 7 has the strange souvenir region. But I disagree with Z completely, Epilogue chapters for both games with significant content would be more then enough. I was wondering in the case of the legendaries, perhaps Hoopa was wrangling them all up for some mega-evolution plot, and suddenly Primals are all over the place? Bah, I wouldn't expect them to rush em out, but who knows....

Nah. I said this before, but like I said above, the remakes so far have a 5 year gap, I never expected them to rush em out, especially that close to each other. If gen 5 was say, released 2 years later on the 3DS much like DP were 2 years after emerald, and the series had a gap, sure I could have seen ORAS happening in gen 5, this year at the coat-tails of the gen. But since the gens have been condensed and there is no development gap like gen 3->gen 4, its obvious we aren't gonna get remakes every gen.

A 3-year gap between remakes is a pretty bad idea. DP remakes should be as different from ORAS as the original games were from RS, and that won't be possible by 2017.

Discussing BW remakes at this point is rather silly. I will say that I don't see Game Freak leaving Kanto and Johto behind even if they do the sensible thing and avoid re-remakes. If anything, they should use the Virtual Console to familiarize new players with old games before they expand them via sequels. I don't see them just re-releasing obsolete games and calling it a day.

How was that confirmed?

How was that confirmed?

In the interview with Masuda that said why the Battle Frontier didn't come back, he said that they didn't put it in because only the minority of the fanbase would use said feature. This is jsut an extension of the "people don't have time for video games" shtick Masuda has been pulling out of his ass this entire generation. Due to the wording of this interview, people assume that we will never get good post-game features like the Battle Frontier ever again. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Masuda eliminates the post-game completely come Gen. VII.

In the interview with Masuda that said why the Battle Frontier didn't come back, he said that they didn't put it in because only the minority of the fanbase would use said feature. This is jsut an extension of the "people don't have time for video games" shtick Masuda has been pulling out of his ass this entire generation. Due to the wording of this interview, people assume that we will never get good post-game features like the Battle Frontier ever again. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Masuda eliminates the post-game completely come Gen. VII.

This I know, I hope the case of BF will be like I said in this post.

This is what I was getting at in the other part of the post you quoted. GameFreak has became unpredictable. For all we know they might have even planned the loose ends to establish a Kanto/Johto dynamic with kalos and a future region. It is equally possibly that they might release another game in Gen VI to type them, ot make them exclusive to the new 3ds, or other variable and factors that we cannot organize in a neat pattern of predictable moves. Game freak is making them chaotic, subverting expectations and conventions with each new Generation now.
On the bolded portion: This is the same "GameFreak-ology" I was referring to. To say that they've unpredictable does not necessarily reflect what they've done. They've only had one generation of breaking "tradition." Arguably they didn't even break tradition since BW2 are in essence still a third game, just done differently. GameFreak is still a very predictable company.

If Nintendo reveals a new console this year odds are we'll Gen VII in title only plus a new pokemon that'll appear in this years movie.

Keep in mind this was the situation when Nintendo first revealed the GBA and DS, Generation V & VI are the exceptions since the DS' lifespan was so long.

Whatever happens, I hope that Zygarde is involved. I'm almost positive that they'll be doing something with Zygarde, it's just a matter of what it is, I think. Also, I think I'm in the minority when I say that I hope it's not some DLC-event thing that I would have to go transfer some kind of data onto my game. I don't have that kind of accessibility, and I highly doubt that I'm the only one in the entire fandom that has this issue.

Last edited:
If Nintendo reveals a new console this year odds are we'll Gen VII in title only plus a new pokemon that'll appear in this years movie.

Keep in mind this was the situation when Nintendo first revealed the GBA and DS, Generation V & VI are the exceptions since the DS' lifespan was so long.

Usually it takes 2 years for the next Pokemon game to launch on the new handheld, and by the time the handheld launches we usually have a handful of new Pokemon hinting towards it but not the new game announcement. Not saying that will be the case here because I expect Nintendo will probably pressure Game Freak into having a new generation out within 1 year of the handheld's launch, but what you're describing would not exactly be typical of a new generation.

I'm not sure if anyone else thinks this (too lazy to read through over 300+ posts), but the fact that Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves are both potential signature moves for Zygarde makes me think there will be dual-Kalos installments. The plot of XY was really bare-bones though, so instead of sequels, I'm thinking we'll get two "Z" versions, with one having Xerneas and the other having Yveltal, and one having a Zygarde forme/Mega Evo that learns Thousand Arrows over Land's Wrath (like how Freeze Shock/Ice Burn replaces Glaciate), while the other has one that learns Thousand Waves. I'm thinking that Zygarde will "reveal its true power (as its X 'dex entry mentions)" in the climax of the stories of these games when Team Flare pisses it off by upsetting the balance of life and death, involving Xerneas/Yveltal, and it responds by transforming into an alternate forme/Mega Evo. In this case, I think the move tutors would also return, but accepting shards instead of BP.

Since the Delta Episode and the whole Multiverse thing came out, I've been toying around with the thought of multiple universes and it really just hit me today. What if since X/Y established the Mega Verse's version of Kalos, we get the main timeline's version of Kalos (as in, an AZ-less, Mega-less Kalos) in the upcoming games, with new Pokémon to replace the Mega's (since in a timeline where AZ never fired the Ultimate Weapon, plenty of Kalos-native species wouldn't have presumably gone completely extinct due to the blast)? The retcon of fairy-type would still exist, however. But since Kalos is at the very end of the timeline, I'm sure that doesn't really matter right now lol

And apparently Project Pokémon confirmed that the coding of the games states there'll be two more games with the blue pentagon symbol, but I've yet to see where they made their statement. I heard about it from YouTube comments, so if anyone has proof of this statement, I'd love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom