• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dento/Cilan as a companion

Dento is one of my personal favorite traveling companions; he had a fun personality with many interests and a few memorable Pokemon. However, that's not to say that there are things that could have been improved about him.

Why was he so afraid of Choroneko, anyway? Do you think his goal of wanting to pursue fishing in the end was odd? Do you think his general goal of pursing being a Sommelier was handled well? Do you think he was a good traveling companion for Satoshi?

Personally, I heard that the reason Cilian was afraid of Choroneko was supposed to be explained in the Plasma Unaired Episode.

Good potential, poor execution. His Sommelier goal should have been an actual quest but they made it just another gag. They should have given him an actual rivalry with Burgundy, but didn't - I liked her introduction episode, but they never went anywhere with it. And his reason for leaving was as flimsy as it gets, he might as well have said "My contract with this show is up now kbye."

He said he wanted to travel with Ash to study his "unique battling", but I don't recall him ever using any of Ash's techniques in battle. I also don't feel that he made much of an impact on either Ash or Iris during the journey.

It didn't help that Ash didn't use his head much in BW, so his "unique" battling was more like generic battling.

I thought the episode with his brothers and Morana showed what could have been an interesting subplot. It was nice to get some backstory, and Cilan with his brothers is more interesting than Cilan by himself. They should have appeared more often. Morana could have been an interesting villain if she wasn't just a one-shot - they could have introduced her early and had an ongoing story about her trying to take over gyms. Cilan could have traveled with Ash to get stronger at battling and defeat Morana.

Cilan was a very disappointing traveling partner, as well as character as a whole in the series. And that’s saying something.

To start, his reasoning for traveling with Ash made no sense. Just because he saw an Oshawott be commonly innovative with its scalchop, which isn’t surprising given the myriad of functions the Pokedex list that it can do, he decides that traveling the entire Unova region (as well as an archipelago later on) with its Trainer and outright abandoning his gym leader responsibilities is an enriching and plausible thing to do…Right. Not to mention, he had a goal already. That he had accomplished by the way. He wasn’t like Brock who developed his goal and eventual dream through his journeys with Ash or Tracey who decidedly settled down and found his calling at the end of his respective journey with Ash. Cilan was already a Sommelier as well as an accomplished Gym Leader! He literally gained nothing throughout his adventures with Ash.

His career itself was pointless to me. Not only did it not help Ash or Iris at any point of their journey, it also made no sense. If a Trainer wants to raise a Pokemon, they are going to do it regardless of the Pokemon’s feelings. So, what would he have told Ash and Charizard, Misty and Psyduck, Dawn and Mamoswine earlier when they were each experiencing difficulty in raising their respective Pokemon? You aren’t compatible, so go catch another one? There is a reason there are no Sommeliers in the games. Are you going to release that Giratina you just took over 30 Timer Balls to catch because some random stranger deems you incompatible? Right.

His outfit annoyed me too and took me a while to get over during the initial phases of BW. I mean, who travels in a waiter outfit? Wouldn’t you get hot? Why was this never questioned? And wearing all that white, shouldn’t it have gotten dirty? I never considered him a true traveler/adventurer.

The male-member-that-can-cook trope was established by Brock, so that didn’t add to his character. Nor did his annoying food references and puns. Especially in the dub version. If anything, it became overbearing and only hindered his character. It really felt as if he would use the same phrase or a variation of the same phrase to describe the same thing said by other people. And this ladies and gentlemen makes up 67% of Cilan's dialogue during his entire run in the anime!

His TASTING TIME routines roughly equaled: Cilan boastfully telling his opponent why he is going to win and they will lose OR Cilan boastfully praising himself and his Pokemon (both amount to him being an annoying douche). This is even lampshaded by Iris and her annoyed expressions/reactions.

His Pokemon party was disappointing. Pansage was his painfully clear favorite as well the one he actually interacted with/had a bond with. His other two experienced no character development during their time with Cilan, and barely any screentime. You would think the opposite given his small party. He also never acquired another grass type nor expressed any remote interest in the other grass types that he encountered. Which is something to be expected because…you know…him being a grass type gym leader and everything. Now if Cilan was the meek and shy character from his in-game counterpart, that would be understandable. But instead, he was the total opposite.

Yes he did have that skeptic, scientific aspect of him when the gang was in Nacrene City, but that was it. Never again was it substantially featured. I was very disappointed with this on writer’s part as well; they could have had the Skeptic Cilan vs. Superstitious Iris be a funny, key element/routine to the show as well as bond/feature between them as well as character development for Cilan.

And Cilan’s random myriad of Sommelier types as the plot called for were also ridiculous and pitiful (as someone mentioned earlier). They really did look like shallow attempts to give him characterization and depth. But alas, they were generally one or two episodes each and thus meaningless/unmemorable.
All in all, the most forgettable and unimportant member of Ash’s friend troupe.

Oh.

Did I mention he got a shafted farewell and was randomly sent to Hoenn of all places? For a randomass, never mentioned before fishing tournament? What does that say about his overall legacy?

Shouldn't he be being an Unova gym leader?

Seriously, the writers could have handled him much better and especially articulate the opposite relationship he supposedly had with Iris (at the end of the day, they both resulted in being Ash's cheer duo) a lot more.

Last edited:
I didn't like him, he was a poor replacement for Brock, and he was annoying like many others have said before. He had an interesting backstory but they didn't execute it well, they focused much more on unfunny gags.

His gags were annoying. I can only think of a few that actually made me laugh. He was a fun character in the beginning but the writers kept making him say and do the same crap repeatedly throughout the series and it soon got tiresome.

also his Pansage is adorable and amazing and it's great I love Pansage

I liked Cilan. He added spice to the group that Brock didn't really have by the time he left. He had a lot of potential but he kind of fizzled out. It seemed like by the end he was just reduced to playing detective in rather uninteresting fillers and being really flamboyant (which is a not a bad thing by any means, he just kinda stagnated). garrison-san, Hidden Mew and Johtohfiller already said everything I was thinking on the topic. I really wish he had a bigger party, though.

Having him strive to be an S-class Sommelier kinda seems like a no-brainer but it never was shown. Oh whale.

lol, you're ranking Tracey above Cilan? I've going to assume that in the midst of your burning anger you completely forgot that Tracey existed, which is perfectly fine, because you can't be more forgettable than Tracey.

Last edited:
I liked Cilan. He added spice to the group that Brock didn't really have by the time he left. He had a lot of potential but he kind of fizzled out. It seemed like by the end he was just reduced to playing detective in rather uninteresting fillers and being really flamboyant (which is a not a bad thing by any means, he just kinda stagnated). garrison-san, Hidden Mew and Johtohfiller already said everything I was thinking on the topic. I really wish he had a bigger party, though.

Having him strive to be an S-class Sommelier kinda seems like a no-brained but it never was shown. Oh whale.

lol, you're ranking Tracey above Cilan? I've going to assume that in the midst of your burning anger you completely forgot that Tracey existed, which is perfectly fine, because who you can't be more forgettable than Tracey?

Good point! Sorry, was just on a tangent at the time. Really don't like his character.

And p.s.

I really like your ideals for how Best Wishes should have gone about.

I probably didn't watch enough of BW to form a solid opinion on him, but from what I did see, there was really nothing memorable about him. He had some cute moments, but overall, may be the least memorable traveling companion to date. IMO.

I dislike him i dislike him. He is annoying. What things smell is so not relevant. Cause of him I could never compete ep of bw.

Cilan bugs me. A lot. His attitude, his actions, his voice, they all annoy me....and those eyes are really, REALLY creepy. ><

Along with Dawn, he's probably my least favourite protagonists of the Pokemon anime. They could have done something maybe with his fear of Purrloin, but it wasn't really expanded enough. And half the time, I lost interest in the things he said....I swear, if he says "It's Evaluation Time" just once more....><

I commend the writers for bringing some fresh blood into the field, but Cilan just didn't do it for me.

As Dr Robotnik would probably say....

"CILAN-CE!!"

I'll get my coat.

Cilan was really amusing. He was one of the things I actually liked about Best Wishes.

I didn't care about his "bad development" since that obviously isn't his role in the show. His roles are making sure the kids don't starve, and to be comedy relief.

I disagree with you there. Misty lost any personality she had in Kanto the minuet she got Togepi. Togepi literally sucked the life out of Misty and it showed. Johto was a terrible arc in the anime. I believe anyone who liked Johto was blinded by nostalgia. May served the role as the female lead nicely in AG.

Having him strive to be an S-class Sommelier kinda seems like a no-brainer but it never was shown. Oh whale.

lol, you're ranking Tracey above Cilan? I've going to assume that in the midst of your burning anger you completely forgot that Tracey existed, which is perfectly fine, because you can't be more forgettable than Tracey.

Tracey was more memorable than Cilan because he actually did something in the series and his drawings and personality weren't too bad. Plus he caught a really old but still really cool Sycther. I think his addition to the Orange islands Arc instead of Brock gave viewers a break from seeing the same trio over and over again.

What to say about Cilan? He was first well accepted male companion after Brock was replaced to both someone joy or others sadness.

To me while Brock will always have special place in my heart because of strong support, balance and certan level of depth he portrayed as character being my favorite Ash traveling friend from males.

I have to say that level of entertainment, comedy and variety put into storyline Cilan presence brought during his reign in BW series wasn't disappointing in slightest. Cilan was well rounded character liking his arrogance and tendency to tease along with showing his caring side and admiration for Ash strategy. It was Ash unorthodox out of boy thinking which induced his character to start reconsidering his own battling style and choice of attacks realizing how little he knew, despite posessing big knowledge. Ash strategy made Cilan realize how there are trainers, challenges and competition you wont face as gym leder. Dangerous situation on road where you have to think on fly innovating, as well encountering all kind of dffferent use of pokemon in batles improving his battle style.

Which brought fruits on table when defeating several opponents like Trip, Morana or Bianca and Juniper in tag battle by himself and smart combination of shell smash/rock wrecker. Cilan qualities were that he was quick thinker, came up with good deducting reasoning and expertize in several fields which he wasnt afraid to show.

We can notice that in posessing very good skills at fishing, playing role of detective in helping on multiple occasions to find missing things like that Audino and stolen gems. Or his flamboyant and hilarious fondness for trains, science, mysteries like UFO making him act like fangirl which brought lot of flavor and synergy to his character.

His fear from paranormal and skepticism of someone relying on nature and spiritualism believing how there exist logical explanation for everything and liking to rely on science is also another trait of character i admired, especially in quarrels he used to had with Iris over it bringing best out of characters he interacted with.

Freshness to his character was like wind which never stops and can change direction at any moment adapting to new clime and environment, preventing monotony and staleness.

If anything than because just about we thought everything was showed from character interests and personality, something completely unexpected appears on surface bringing new admiring note to Cilan character . Showing how behind that confident, on first glance brave exterior does lie insecure and freightful person if he cant explain something adding more dimension to character in sweet, fun way.

Cilan didn't caught many pokemonm, but out of those he did all proved more than enough that they arent pushovers and can hold their own in battle. Through prideful and intelligent Crustle. Forgiving and tender Pansage which proved to be both good fighter and medical aid when needed through its grass characteristics. Or downright most amusing in my personal opinion pokemon he had Stunfisk, Who didnt hesitated in pulling up jokes on others, hold grudge when you step on his "toes" and be fiery when unsatisfied.

Now on Cilan negative sides:
One of thins which definitely bothered me the most was how little Cilan dream of becoming top connoisseur was focused on which is shame because i thought it was unique and interesting kind of profession connected to pokemon. Because it was pokemon equivalent to vine sommeliers in real life being decanted on pokemon world.

In sense of there existing certified pokemon experts which can evaluate characteristics and qualities of pokemon, their compatibility with pokemon trainers. What type of pokemon would suit some person based on their personality, interests, design and potential in developing firm connection.

But idea alone isnt enough to carry on elements of story or character itself, because there needs to exist follow up. Cilan entire career of wanting to become S class connoisseur while having its comic elements was treated as just that. Nothing more substantial and content based than joke which we as viewers could not take seriously. Aside from only informing us how there exists ranking system for connoisseurs, how there exist tests he would need to enter and evaluators to pass to earn recognition and positive result in reaching highest rank you can as pokemon evaluator.

We never really saw Cilan focusing on this dream, there were not many episodes focused on other people from same branch and most of all there wasnt present even attempt to try to qualify for S-class position he expressed desire to becme.

Resulting in character which fulfilled only half of purpose behind journey in developing more profined and diverse battle style, stronger conbination of attacks and more diverse strategies in combining strength and weakness of his pokemon making best use of it thanks to observing Ash battles, Meeting champions, E4 members, other gym leaders and strong trainers he competed in tournaments forging his skills as trainer.

But his life calling, connoisseur career and dream he passionately cherish and value wanting to become influencing figure in life of other people and their pokemon was stopped in its tracks .Even Brock goal of beng breeder gained more attention in exchanging experience with other breeders, focusing on his knowledge and caring, thoughtful traits when healing sick or injured pokemon, helping them about issues and learning to prepare new types of food.
Being big blow for Cilan.

But what disappointed me even more was wasted rivalry with Burgundy never getting any closure, how sad. Her sweet and insecure side mixed with flaming attitude was endearing and vertiginous complimenting Cilan personality well,and whether its battle or connoisseur showdown commenting other pokemon and relationship with trainer, it was fun to watch them compete against each other with their rivalry having tension,charm and lot of clever humor wishing ti see them face of each other in final confrontation.

But instead Burgundy lost every single battle and to add insult to injury she never received any closure, any ending, resolution with everything about her and Cilan ending like book which you start writing but after some time stop because iof be9ing tired leaving it open.

Cilan had lot of unexplored things about character and unfinished story deserving to get more exposure not just in connnoiseur career and his rivals. But fact how we barely got much exposition of Cilan past aside from his brothers. Little to no focus on his fears. Only fear and discomfort from Purrloin was brought up, but even that was never resolved with Cilan not getting over his bad experiences from past withg this pokemon. Which how conveniently wasnt even explained, therefore left unresolved as well.

Or shaking up core of character in expressing vulnerability, weakness, genuine sadness and disappointment in exposing more his softer side so that viewers could develop bigger sympathy and compassion for character. As well give Cilan actual emotional personality development which could have been achieved through exploration of unknown obstacles and flaws brought from his past starting to represent problem, receiving degradation because of small activity and success as connoisseur dropping from A- class to B-class bringing selfdoubts and blaming for neglecting his duties. Or diving more into his own thoughts, decisions and plans on how he intents to accomplish his dreams.

Therefore i have to say that i did not liked that Cilan who could have brought more on table and had potential as character was underutilized like that and warranted his stay for longer period of time on default of being denied to live up to full potential(not only one, in this category i can also include Misty, Tracey, May to smaller extent).

Possibly continuing on Kalos series which would if anything as land based on France fit his flamboyant, enthusiastic personality. Wishing that he stayed because so many things which werent told, could have been and developed if BW wasant beginning and end for him.

In end Cilan was enjoyable character who had its qualities. But also quite forgettable for me not having that imposing charisma, steadfastness and impact left on series on which he could be remembered in more relevant light leaving long lasting legacy behind himself.

Cilan role was in essence like cherry blossom. Fervent and passionate which can shine brightly, but also flower which just as quickly fades away.

I disagree with you there. Misty lost any personality she had in Kanto the minuet she got Togepi. Togepi literally sucked the life out of Misty and it showed. Johto was a terrible arc in the anime. I believe anyone who liked Johto was blinded by nostalgia. May served the role as the female lead nicely in AG.

Im not sure with who you disagree since no one even mentioned Misty. Not that i agree either because Misty after Togepi still brimmed with lot of personality being one of most emotional characters in this show imo. If anything Togepi helped to explore more of her personality traits being step toward maturing.

As for someone liking Johto,. People have different preferences and taste in what they find to be entertaining or creative. You dont have to be nostalgic to like something.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom