• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP05: A Race for Home!

re: S18 EP05 "A Race For Home!"

Nice episode with Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont being the main source of entertainment for me.

First of all, I was surprised to hear Skiddo’s true pronunciation. That’s going to take some getting used to. Now, the proposal gag. Every time see Bonnie do this, I always feel like it’s been a while since the last time she's done it. And I like that, it doesn't seem nearly as overdone as other gags and that's great. Aw, I thought it was cute that Serena got some ice cream for Bonnie...just Bonnie and not the boys; lol. Bonnie and Clemont were the best parts of the Skiddo riding scene. Bonnie was adorable as always and Clemont...hilarious...as always. It's so funny that he's so un-athletic in almost all aspects of life. I also loved how Bonnie was so much more skilled than Clemont at riding (as expected) and how she kept dissing him. Oh, and I loved how Bonnie was talking about how she might want to become a Ryhorn Racer someday.

Ugh, and Chespin continues to be a dick as usual. Wish the other Pokemon would have let Pancham attack him for it since Clemont didn't do a damn thing. Well, at least Serena took the time to do some Showcase training. I was surprised to see them struggle with how well they performed for Nini earlier. OMG is TR really stealing cheese? Ok, this episode wins the "dumbest TR plan" award. At least we got to see Serena bring back her knowledge of Ryhorn racing and not only catch up to and pass up Ash, but also to slam into TR's truck and fight them off. And really, Rhyhorn are faster than Skiddo? That’s…interesting.

I know Grace was obviously trying to get Serena to prove how serious she was about her dream, but I didn't really get her “strategy” so to speak. Saying Serena might quit when it became too hard could also be applied to Ryhorn Racing, especially since she likes that less than Performing. But regardless, I am glad that she wanted Serena to “prove her worthiness”. Now for the race itself. I'll be honest, I hoped for more. I would have preferred for it to be a bit longer than one lap around that small racing track. Well, it was nice to see how Serena was so focused on winning and how her Skiddo helped her out. It was also interesting to hear Serena admit that she left home just because she didn't want to Ryhorn Race. Serena's moment with her mom was very sweet. Also Skiddo is the cutest thing ever:)

So overall, I thought this was a good episode. Again, mainly because of Serena and the siblings which I liked since Ash is usually the star, like in the last episode. It's nice to see them get the bulk of the screen time. I'm giving this an 8/10.

I was kinda expecting one of Grace's questions to be about why Serena hadn't captured a Rhyhorn yet. Surely that's the first step to being a professional Rhyhorn racer?

Also, wouldn't there still be plenty of travel anyway - going around Kalos for race meetings would be just as achievable on a journey with Ash as it would be based at home, and she'd already acknowledged how much she had grown from the experience so far.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit bugged at how Serena's cooking skill was marginalised - she nearly won that Pokepuff competition and making those kind of things seems way more difficult compared to preparing a few sandwiches or whatever Clemont does off screen. Making the table look nice? Why sell her short?

Future episode spoiler:
And no doubt everyone will keep getting fed while Clemont is gone, but if the first episode is anything to go by we will just have the episodes showing them eating together skipped until he can step back in, because we can't give the impression she's capable of feeding people the main course.

I wonder how Skiddo products compare to Miltank? You'd think the Johto based Miltank interests would be able to pay a certain regional villainous team to disrupt the business of their competitors...

They should have shown a Skiddo jumping up a small ledge while everyone else stood around being confused.

First of all, I was surprised to hear Skiddo’s true pronunciation. That’s going to take some getting used to.
Tell me about it - the pronunciation sounds like how you'd say 'Skidoo'. Wasn't expecting it to sound like that at all.

Would you look at that. Serena became an engaging character. This was a pretty good episode, with a meaningful lesson. Even the voice acting stood out here for me.

Although I haven't really been watching the show regularly, so.

Ditto on the Skiddo (unintentional rhyme and Pokémon reference FTW!); I always thought it was pronounced "Skid-oh". And is that Kayzie Rogers voicing Skiddo? If so, good to know she's still around and they're not just reusing voice clips for Wobbuffet.

Haven Paschall did a good job on Serena in this episode, we haven't seen her really angry or determined before in the dub, and she does a good job matching up with her emotions.

I found Serena hugging her mom to be really cute, by the way.

I kind of thought TPCi would correct the "Rhyhorn using Tackle" error like they usually do, maybe with something generic like "ram into that truck", but oh well.

There was one out-of-character moment that I noticed though, why did Serena snap at Ash when he mentioned Rhyhorn racing with her? And why did she drop it so quickly?

Ski-doo?

Yes because when some parents talk to their children they've always said "Ki-doo" as opposed to "Ki-doh"

How does Serena plan to stop thieves when she just returned her Pokemon, surely they'd be the only thing to actually help her to stop them...

"Rhyhorn are faster than Skiddo"

g1Ji24f.png

I call BS!

The parents shouldn't decide what the kids do, so I'm glad Serena managed to sort it out.

It was a little bit too much of a rehash of older episodes (characters convincing their parents to let them pursue their dreams) but as Ash regularly gets new companion, it seems reasonable to have this kind of plot appear every once in a while.

As for Team Rocket's appearance, I've got to say that this must have been one of their most uncreative plans. Felt like they needed some kind of filler.

The race at the end was good, though. I always love when people give it all they've got and rise above themselves. Great that Serena finally got what she fought so hard for!

"Rhyhorn are faster than Skiddo"

g1Ji24f.png

I call BS!

Actually not BS enough, this is what I call BS.

Pidgeot: "This Pokémon flies at Mach 2 speed, seeking prey. Its large talons are feared as wicked weapons."
Base Speed: 91 .... Mach 2? really?

Magmar, Leavanny, Gliscor, Elekid, freaking Luvdisc, some Dedenne on 101 base Speed, there are way more faster than Pidgeot but I just want to list those which are never considered by look to be fast.

So I guess that Speed in stat is reaction speed and not movement speed. Like Haste rating in WoW, faster means getting the spell out faster.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom