• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY074: Kunoe Gym Battle! The Beautiful Fairy Trap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how there is no VS in the title, nor any Pokemon names either. It's just like the episode title when Ash lost to Viola.
Previous series show that no such rules exist.

Zugaidos VS Pikachu!! - Lost
Mio Gym Match! Steel Battle!! - Won
Kissaki Gym! Ice Battle! - Won
Electric Shock Battle! The Final Badge!! - Won

Shippou Gym Battle! VS Gym Leader Aloe!! - Lost
The Hiun Gym Match! Purehearted Bug Pokémon Battle!! - Won
Raimon Gym! Magnificent Electric Shock Battle!! - Won
Sekka Gym Battle! Ice Battlefield!! - Won

Notice how there is no VS in the title, nor any Pokemon names either. It's just like the episode title when Ash lost to Viola.

This also reveals a pattern. In previous series, when there was a VS, Ash lost.
I hope Ash loses and takes a while to train. Maybe Valerie has to travel some place and can only battle Ash again when she comes back.

I don't understand why people are immediately assuming that Ash will lose here.

Yes, Valerie may be using 2 pokemon here as far as we know, and the three previous gym leaders have all used 3. But this may very well be because the members of Valerie's in-game team may not be compatible for the anime. A Mawile that can Mega Evolve has been used in battle by Mabel earlier in XY, so it wouldn't really make sense to feature the species again in a gym battle. As for Mr. Mime, well, the episode title does indicate that Valerie uses "beautiful" Pokémon, and perhaps the writers feel that Mr. Mime doesn't fit with that theme. Maybe the anime writers couldn't find a third Pokémon to fit Valerie's theme and settled with her having just Spritzee and Sylveon?

And even though Valerie is using 2 Pokémon, remember in BW that two of the penultimate gym leaders fought in that series- Drayden and Marlon - have both used 2 pokemon. Also, both trainers were fought relatively late into their respective episodes, which may indicate that Ash may also fight Valerie during a similar point in this episode.

Until we get more information about this episode, we shouldn't just say right off the bat that Ash will lose. The titles and the opponent using Trick Room don't mean crap. Remember that DP185's Japanese title, "Trick Room of Terror! Ash vs. Conway!", sounds much more ominous and depressing than "The Beautiful Fairy Trap!", and Ash still won that battle. Finally, the data broadcast of XY075 involving Treecko doesn't indicate that Ash will re-challenge Valerie in that episode.

As for Mr. Mime, well, the episode title does indicate that Valerie uses "beautiful" Pokémon, and perhaps the writers feel that Mr. Mime doesn't fit with that theme. Maybe the anime writers couldn't find a third Pokémon to fit Valerie's theme and settled with her having just Spritzee and Sylveon?
Aww no way could anyone think that Manene is less beautiful than the monstrosity that is Shushupu!! :p

I guess this is also the point to mention that I'm also disappointed that they seem to be steamrolling through the badge quest like this. I have very little faith in the writers' abilities to create a good second arc...

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like Ash could potentially lose this match. Primarily because the number of Pokemon supposedly used in this battle had suspiciously dropped to two according to the info on Bulbapedia. It could be that Valerie may wipe out Ash's team without having to use all of her Pokemon.

I hope Ash loses and takes a while to train. Maybe Valerie has to travel some place and can only battle Ash again when she comes back.

In the recent Ash vs Citron battle, Ash won despite there being a VS in the title.

I only listed four titles for each series. All the others used a VS title and Ash won those battles, so there was no pattern in those series, nor should there be one now.

The only time a rematch was delayed was for Brawly, and in that case the reason was Ash exploring the rest of Dewford island. He didn't stay in the same city for several episodes, nor did he need to backpedal. If Ash even loses to Valerie, chances are the rematch will happen in XY075 (with Shota helping Ash train for a bit just as Alexa did), with no one arbitrarily leaving the city.

Pokeplayer150 said:
Primarily because the number of Pokemon supposedly used in this battle had suspiciously dropped to two according to the info on Bulbapedia. It could be that Valerie may wipe out Ash's team without having to use all of her Pokemon.
Why would she save Mawile/Mr. Mime for last? Her ace is Sylveon in the games, and most likely Spritzee here. I find Ampharos King's explanation more logical, and we can't even be sure that Pokémon Fan didn't simply neglect to mention the third Pokémon due to its relative insignificance (as they did for Korrina's Mienfoo and Machoke). Let's not forget that the writers made the Grant battle a 3vs2, so this might be similar.

Last edited:
I only listed four titles for each series. All the others used a VS title and Ash won those battles, so there was no pattern in those series, nor should there be one now.

The only time a rematch was delayed was for Brawly, and in that case the reason was Ash exploring the rest of Dewford island. He didn't stay in the same city for several episodes, nor did he need to backpedal. If Ash even loses to Valerie, chances are the rematch will happen in XY075 (with Shota helping Ash train for a bit just as Alexa did), with no one arbitrarily leaving the city.

Pokeplayer150 said:
Primarily because the number of Pokemon supposedly used in this battle had suspiciously dropped to two according to the info on Bulbapedia. It could be that Valerie may wipe out Ash's team without having to use all of her Pokemon.
Why would she save Mawile/Mr. Mime for last? Her ace is Sylveon in the games, and most likely Spritzee here. I find Ampharos King's explanation more logical, and we can't even be sure that Pokémon Fan didn't simply neglect to mention the third Pokémon due to its relative insignificance (as they did for Korrina's Mienfoo and Machoke). Let's not forget that the writers made the Grant battle a 3vs2, so this might be similar.
I also think it's because it's happened in the anime before: against Fantina. She opened up with her ace Pokemon and even prior to evolving took out 2/3 of Ash's team before defeating him. I don't see why it can't happen here.

I also think it's because it's happened in the anime before: against Fantina. She opened up with her ace Pokemon and even prior to evolving took out 2/3 of Ash's team before defeating him. I don't see why it can't happen here.
That was an unofficial battle, and at that point Drifloon was probably not her ace. They gave it a lot of screentime to justify its evolution.

I have a feeling Lumiose and Laverre are so close together to make up for how long it took to get to Coumarine.

Yes, Valerie may be using 2 pokemon here as far as we know, and the three previous gym leaders have all used 3. But this may very well be because the members of Valerie's in-game team may not be compatible for the anime.
This doesn't make sense. I would think the creators of game would decide what fits a character or not, noting how Valerie doesn't even have a Spritzee in the game.

A Mawile that can Mega Evolve has been used in battle by Mabel earlier in XY, so it wouldn't really make sense to feature the species again in a gym battle.
This make less sense given that Grant had an Onix and Mawile never had a gym before. Plus we already saw Sylveon before and yet Valerie does have one.

As for Mr. Mime, well, the episode title does indicate that Valerie uses "beautiful" Pokémon, and perhaps the writers feel that Mr. Mime doesn't fit with that theme. Maybe the anime writers couldn't find a third Pokémon to fit Valerie's theme and settled with her having just Spritzee and Sylveon?
Well then its their fault for ascribing Valerie with a personality that was detrimental to her Pokemon team, but I highly doubt that would explain no Swirlix/Slurpuff unless those Pokemon are "ugly" in some fashion or not fashion queen beautiful (since Sylveon and Spritzee are likely female, and maybe they can't imagine a female Swirlix/Slurpuff).

I think the real reason Valerie is a 2 vs 2, is because they realized their mistake by releasing Goodra, when Ash didn't have a full team, causing a severe imbalance on his team, seeing his Pokemon to death in gyms, so therefore they are using less Pokemon to make it more unique.

Of course this reason goes out the window if his second Pokemon is Pikachu.

You assume too much that it would that simple, there are reasons why Ash could lose and take awhile before he's allowed a rematch.

1. Gyms can be challenged at any time, unlike say Pokemon Contest or Pokemon Showcases (as it is relevant to Serena), Ash could afford to sacrifice a few days of challenging to go to Serena's Showcase which is on a time constraint

2. Valerie may not want to have a quick rematch with Ash, maybe Valerie has other priorities and needs more than just half an episode of Ash training.

3. Ash himself may not feel ready and wants to do some serious training and decides to wander about for a few episodes. Resulting in the capture a Noibat, to throw off Valerie giving her a false sense of security.

4. Perhaps there is some villain/antagonistic reason for keeping Ash from Valerie.

Granted Ash is likely to get his badge here, but it doesn't have to be as simple as Ash training for half an episode and doing a rematch.

1. Gyms can be challenged at any time, unlike say Pokemon Contest or Pokemon Showcases (as it is relevant to Serena), Ash could afford to sacrifice a few days of challenging to go to Serena's Showcase which is on a time constraint
There are no time constraints, as the writers decide when and where the Showcases happen (the last Showcase was coveniently in a gym city). I doubt that they would construct an excuse for Ash to leave the city prematurely.

2. Valerie may not want to have a quick rematch with Ash, maybe Valerie has other priorities and needs more than just half an episode of Ash training.
See above.

3. Ash himself may not feel ready and wants to do some serious training and decides to wander about for a few episodes. Resulting in the capture a Noibat, to throw off Valerie giving her a false sense of security.
How would Noibat throw off Valerie? I can't imagine how it would be the key to winning a rematch, seeing as it is a speedy Dragon type.

4. Perhaps there is some villain/antagonistic reason for keeping Ash from Valerie.
Such as? It's clear that Ash is going to have time to catch a Noibat.

but it doesn't have to be as simple as Ash training for half an episode and doing a rematch.
I am not saying that it has to be this way, but I don't understand the speculation that not only Ash will lose, the rematch won't happen for a while. Kalos has a linear path, making any backpedaling (outside Lumiose) pretty forced. Drawing out the way to Laverre would have made more sense.

There are no time constraints, as the writers decide when and where the Showcases happen (the last Showcase was coveniently in a gym city). I doubt that they would construct an excuse for Ash to leave the city prematurely.
I was speaking of within the universe for an excuse, you're acting as if the writers are FORCED to only give Ash half an episode of training and then do the rematch or if NOT you're acting as if Ash has to train and do a rematch in a very short period of time. Either of those thoughts are countered by the reasons, by making it so Ash does NOT have to train in a day and then do a rematch the following day, or allowing the writers to not force a quick win over a gym leader from a rematch.

Furthermore, what about the 4th generation in regards to the Grand Festival. The writers made a pathetic excuse about how badly the gym was damaged (though anime logic could only take a few days) and yet Ash and Dawn went to the Grand Festival, SURELY that is considered a time constraint seeing as how the gym was "fixed" conveniently only after the Grand Festival concluded.

Not to mention that Ash and Clemont only started talking about their gym battle in the episode with Serena's first showcase, which is unusually odd, since it often occurs at the end of said episode or during the following episode. But conveniently after Ramos, it took a full episode and a half(?) later for the mention of Ash's next gym battle. Had Ash lost his gym match with Ramos, I'm pretty sure Ash would sit back until after Serena's showcase.

Or Fantina not being at the Hearthome gym for a very long time. Or even the excuse that Valerie needs to go some fashion show and doesn't want to battle Ash.

Further more by time constraint, I mean Serena can only go to a certain showcase at a certain date and time, if she's late she won't be able to participate, unlike Ash who basically can challenge a gym leader whenever the gym leader feels like it.

How would Noibat throw off Valerie? I can't imagine how it would be the key to winning a rematch, seeing as it is a speedy Dragon type.
Fletchinder is fast and resists fairy type moves, therefore trick room gives Spritzee the advantage over Fletchinder. Spritzee outright has the advantage over Noibat, so Valerie might conclude that Noibat will not be a threat and not bother with Trick Room, thus allowing Ash to quickly overpower Valerie, forcing a possible late trick room, but even though that gives Spritzee a greater advantage, it's too little too late.

Such as? It's clear that Ash is going to have time to catch a Noibat.
There might be some announcement of something happening in another location, and Ash and co want to be there, because I doubt Ash and co are just going to a gym battle while the fate of the world depends on their interference (as seen in any other antagonistic story fashion of Ash and co's inclusion), as for Noibat, I highly doubt it would be hard for Ash to catch a Noibat just because they are trying to stop an antagonistic force of some kind.

Because who knows maybe Noibat is in immediate trouble from some poacher that Ash and co happen to stumble upon, do you really think Ash and co would be able to ignore something like that, and then Ash rescues Noibat, and they bond, and maybe there's a battle or maybe Noibat just decides to travel with Ash. Or maybe Noibat is from the antagonistic force episode, and Ash saves Noibat from said hypothetical antagonistic force, the antagonistic force is resolved in THAT episode, and Ash also then catches Noibat. Kind of like for a moment imagine Ash actually catching (if he did) the Riolu from the Riolu Ranger special. Antagonistic force, but in the end could of had a capture scene.

Regardless there doesn't need to be an insane amount of time for Ash to get Noibat that by catching Noibat dooms the world. Regardless I was only speaking hypothetically, that unless Episode 78 revolving around Meowth just so happens to be that antagonistic force episode, its unlikely that this storyline could be happening, but I only proposed it as a possibility that could've been the case, and who knows we only know 4 episodes

I don't think Noibat's capture was the best example to use however, the Treecko/Shota episode seems more likely to confirm there isn't an antagonistic force that interrupts Ash from having the rematch.

This make less sense given that Grant had an Onix and Mawile never had a gym before.

Onix may have been used in past gyms before, but the species as a whole was not seen recently. The writers really love to showcase Pokémon that haven't been seen for a while. If I recall, the last Onix that were seen on screen were in BW087, which aired a little less than a year and 8 months prior to XY020's airing.

Mawile, conversely, was focused on in XY034, which would have aired 11 months ago at the time of this episode's airdate, and may have been viewed as being "too frequent" to appear in this gym.

As for Sylveon, yes, it was seen in XY before. However, it is also Valerie's strongest Pokémon in the games so the writers probably gave it to her here for that reason.

I think Spritzee was chosen because, prior to XY073, the species was only seen briefly in XY001.

Well then its their fault for ascribing Valerie with a personality that was detrimental to her Pokemon team, but I highly doubt that would explain no Swirlix/Slurpuff unless those Pokemon are "ugly" in some fashion or not fashion queen beautiful (since Sylveon and Spritzee are likely female, and maybe they can't imagine a female Swirlix/Slurpuff).

Well, Swirlix and Slurpuff as a whole may not be considered "beautiful" enough to fit Valerie's team.

I think the real reason Valerie is a 2 vs 2, is because they realized their mistake by releasing Goodra, when Ash didn't have a full team, causing a severe imbalance on his team, seeing his Pokemon to death in gyms, so therefore they are using less Pokemon to make it more unique.

Fletchinder and (presumably Pikachu) wouldn't be too unique since both were used alongside Hawlucha in the Shalour Gym Battle. If Pikachu were paired with Frogadier, the battle may have been more unique imo.

I don't think Goodra's eventual release has any bearing on the writers' decision to give Valerie 2 Pokémon.

New image from the official site:

img_next150528.jpg

Doesn't show anything new, except Ash in one of his "getting pumped" poses.

So does Ash know what Fairy is weak to yet?

oh and she looks hella cute.

So does Ash know what Fairy is weak to yet?

oh and she looks hella cute.
Well he knows it's immune to dragon as that was shown in the anime. Not that it matters to much.

They've glossed over fairy so hard in the anime. I know why but it still makes me angry. Somebody explain how we thought Clafairy was a normal type until just now please Oak get on that.

I hope Ash loses this match so he can have time to learn about Fairy types.
Maybe have Serena's Showcase and a few more episodes in which he is eager to learn the weaknesses of the Fairy types.

Is Valerie using only 2 Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom