• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Detective Pikachu has been in development for almost two years now. They wouldn't spend that much time on it if it weren't special.

From what we know the game seems to rely more on motion controls, which would explain why it's taking a while. I doubt the attention it would receive be close to a main series game with plenty of advertisement. Maybe if we knew more information I'd agree, but so far from the little we know it looks like a simple point and click game that involves catching Pokemon in a gimmickish way. Hopefully they release some information about it this May.

You expect them to introduce a new region for the tail end of a generation? They have more to gain from treating it as a new generation with new mechanics and Pokémon. Even a simple Kalos game would divert resources from Generation VII, not to mention that Movie 18 doesn't hint at it any main series release this year.

It doesn't have to have a badge quest, like I said earlier it could have similar but different gameplay. I agree, but I doubt they'll go that route when Zygarde still hasn't gotten any attention, and while they could just be done with its hidden moves by having them be released in a Wi-fi event Zygarde for the 2016 movie it would feel like a cop out. That is, unless the special moves activate something in the next generation like how they did with the three legendary dogs for Zoroark.

The 3DS was showcased at E3 2010, and it seems likely that the NX will be showcased next year. I agree that there shouldn't be a problem if they choose to release it in late 2017, but it may be released in March 2017 much like the 3DS in 2011.

The DS was released in 2004, which makes the 3DS being showcased 6 years after its released. A 2016 showcase would only be 5 years after the 3DS's release which has been only picking up plenty of steam in its third year, I think it's too early and I doubt Nintendo would already have put in enough development for a proper showcase for it. They only announced that they started working on the NX a month ago didn't they? I really doubt they'd have a console ready to show in just a bit over a year. Of course they could just show an incomplete console, but I doubt they'd be able to manage that. Maybe just unveil how it looks like and a bit of what it may do, but I don't think that would be too much information to make people sway from the 3DS, which is a really good console with a large variety of good games to play with.

I agree with that, but making it shorter would have meant cutting Platinum (or HGSS, but that would have been silly given the demand for them). Releasing a new game every year is not feasible with Game Freak's small staff; they need a gap year to prepare a new generation.

GameFreak's staff has worked on making two main series games at the same time, working both on XY and ORAS simultaneously. While Platinum had many new features and redesigns as well as some new areas, it probably wasn't too hard to work on it and we know 4 years were spent on developing BW's Xtranservier since DP's release so we know GameFreak is capable on at least working on 3 main series games with them having priority in the planned order of which they'll release first. The XY staff may have started working or continued the base 2015 game when its development was finished. The ORAS staff might be working on Gen VII now. Remember that GEN V only lasted 3 years and had its two main series games last 1.5 years before a new main series game. XY only lasted a year, so I believe ORAS will last that much time as well. Actually, Gen IV lasting as much as it did may have been more because of the amount of new Pokemon needing to be made.

Honestly I think at this point I think it's better from a creative standpoint (not necessarily from a sales standpoint) to just make 4 sets of games per generation, there's a lot of different possibilities for remakes and sequels that they can do now, and once we get to the NX they'll have even more possibilities with Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova all going out of date at the same time. If need be throw some new Pokemon in the third version/sequel, but with XY and ORAS already having a separated online environment, there's no real need for a new generation. Having another stopgap generation like 5th is just too inflexible.

I don't know Bolt, I suppose if you wanted all of the mysteries to be solved and all the plot points followed then yes this would be a good way to explore all that could be explored about a region. I kind of like it that some things are left unanswered though. Some mysteries are better left unanswered. And that seems to be the more realistic approach, conservation of detail is nice, but you wouldn't be able to get the answer for the life the universe and everything no matter how much you adventured. Some of a regions mysteries would realistically not be solvable. And I kind of like that, keeps us guessing and having these conversations.

I guess if they did one Kalos squeal and one remake but I'm not sure how exited I would be for another remake even if it would be gen 4 remakes.

Why should Zygarde's coverage be limited to a mere app and some sort of anime special? If that's the case, then perhaps it should be fair if Game Freak travel back in time and make it to where Emerald, Platinum, and B2/W2 never existed. Seriously, you guys... the more I see it being suggested that Zygarde get shafted, the more I start to think those suggestions are based on nothing but personal biases against that certain Pokémon. Do I have to start making fan-drawings and image macros parodying a lonely Zygarde being the last kid to get called on in the classroom while Audino plays a tiny violin in the background?

I have to agree about Detective Pikachu and Pokken... we barely know anything worthwhile about Detective Pikachu, and Pokken may just end up being a Japan-exclusive arcade game and not see the light of day on a console outside of Japan. However, I have thought of the possibility of the Famitsu announcement for next month being that Pokken will be released for Wii U and the 3DS worldwide... and if it isn't, oh well.

Why should Zygarde's coverage be limited to a mere app and some sort of anime special? If that's the case, then perhaps it should be fair if Game Freak travel back in time and make it to where Emerald, Platinum, and B2/W2 never existed. Seriously, you guys... the more I see it being suggested that Zygarde get shafted, the more I start to think those suggestions are based on nothing but personal biases against that certain Pokémon. Do I have to start making fan-drawings and image macros parodying a lonely Zygarde being the last kid to get called on in the classroom while Audino plays a tiny violin in the background?

Yeah, although I don't think personal biases have anything to do against Zygarde, I haven't gotten that impression from all the reasoning given at least. As someone mentioned earlier, Zygarde even has lower base stats than Xerneas and Yvetal, who both have 680 BST while Zygarde has 600 BST. It's like it's asking for something like a Mega Evolution to help raise it. There's also the fact that GameFreak would do two years without releasing a main series game. If they had no plans for a Zygarde game, it would be better if they released ORAS 6 months later to help give XY a year and a half without a new game instead of just one year, like how they did with GEN V filling 3 years by having its games have around a year and a half before a new main series game. It would have been better for them because they would have had more time to work on ORAS, maybe decide to put a Battle Frontier, put in more Mega Evolutions like Mega Flygon, and have (mostly)Zygarde and Volcanion get some more backstory instead of just Diance and Hoopa. They probably didn't do any of that because of the 2015 game, potentially saving ideas like Mega Flygon for it.

If they do release a new 2015 game, I'd love if they gave Mega Evolutions to the Kalos starters's final forms if they're the starters again. It would help hype the game a lot as well as help make players be okay with using them again.

Detective Pikachu has been in development for almost two years now. They wouldn't spend that much time on it if it weren't special.

It was announced nearly two years ago and there's been no information since then. It's best just to assume the game has been cancelled or is in development hell. We don't even know if the game is even in development anymore. A two year development time is hardly special. That's pretty standard for games.

It was announced nearly two years ago and there's been no information since then. It's best just to assume the game has been cancelled or is in development hell. We don't even know if the game is even in development anymore. A two year development time is hardly special. That's pretty standard for games.
^ This.

There's been nothing about it to my recollection. The last thing I remember about the game was the screenshot of the uber-creepy Pikachu face, which made me not want to buy it. But since then there's been nothing and for all I know, this game may end up going the Duke Nukem Forever route. (And if that's the case: hang on to those pre-order slips for the next decade or so. Some stores may end up honoring them anyway.)

I don't understand this at all. They foreshadowed a new region as early as 2013 and I, for one, don't want to wait until 2018 to see it. Relying too much on old regions is not the way to go.

2 years is starting to get to be too long for the new handheld to wait to get its first main series Pokemon game, the earlier Pokemon makes the jump, the faster Nintendo gets a sizable userbase for its handhelds. Releasing XY in 2013 really hurt Nintendo's business. So that creates a problem where Game Freak has to play a guessing game and predict when Nintendo is releasing their next handheld, and if they guess wrong, we get a stopgap generation like 5th gen that cuts into the next handheld's lifespan. What I'm saying they should do is sync up their generation schedule with Nintendo's and make it as long or short as they need to, and there's enough ideas for them to play around with to have 4 or even 5 sets of games per generation if need be.

Honestly I think at this point I think it's better from a creative standpoint (not necessarily from a sales standpoint) to just make 4 sets of games per generation, there's a lot of different possibilities for remakes and sequels that they can do now, and once we get to the NX they'll have even more possibilities with Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova all going out of date at the same time. If need be throw some new Pokemon in the third version/sequel, but with XY and ORAS already having a separated online environment, there's no real need for a new generation. Having another stopgap generation like 5th is just too inflexible.

I don't know Bolt, I suppose if you wanted all of the mysteries to be solved and all the plot points followed then yes this would be a good way to explore all that could be explored about a region. I kind of like it that some things are left unanswered though. Some mysteries are better left unanswered. And that seems to be the more realistic approach, conservation of detail is nice, but you wouldn't be able to get the answer for the life the universe and everything no matter how much you adventured. Some of a regions mysteries would realistically not be solvable. And I kind of like that, keeps us guessing and having these conversations.

I guess if they did one Kalos squeal and one remake but I'm not sure how exited I would be for another remake even if it would be gen 4 remakes.

This has nothing to do with them solving mysteries. I'm saying they should have more games per generation.

I have to agree about Detective Pikachu and Pokken... we barely know anything worthwhile about Detective Pikachu, and Pokken may just end up being a Japan-exclusive arcade game and not see the light of day on a console outside of Japan. However, I have thought of the possibility of the Famitsu announcement for next month being that Pokken will be released for Wii U and the 3DS worldwide... and if it isn't, oh well.

The DS+Wii announcement teasing a game that could give the 3DS and Wii U a boost?

That's already come and gone, and no new game was announced sadly.

Scans roundup - Bravely Second, Puzzle & Dragons, Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Everything

Also, I don't think they're going to limit the game to Japanese arcades. There's plenty of interest in the game internationally, a Wii U version is probably happening.

If the XY series lasted two more years, what would the content even be about? Even the Mega Evolution mini series is said to be approaching its climax, which should also mean that Lysandre's resolution isn't too far off.
I wonder what kind of episodes they would be making post-League to stall for time until the next installment of games comes out.
Can't there be something from the games that can provide a decent amount of episodes - or would we have to wait for a new game?

Team Flare? AZ and Eternal Floette? Emma and Looker? Some 4-6 episode mini-arc involving the Battle Chatelaines? Heck, some NPC in Lumiose said Blue Oak studied in Lumiose (probably Lumiose University as he'd be around 21 at the time of X/Y) so maybe even Serena, Bonnie and Clemont meeting Gary while he's doing some research with Sycamore on behalf of Oak? They could even pull a Meloetta/Kami Trio and not give Volcanion a movie, but rather a massive sub-plot.

There's plenty of stuff that they can milk out of X and Y that has nothing to do with the boring Gym Quest or Serena's passion for fashion LOL

And on the subject of future games:

Yes, Sinnoh remakes aren't happening in GENERATION SIX. But they ARE happening eventually. And at this point, Kanto re-remakes are just as viable as a Z, X2/Y2, V/W, etc. There is no evidence to point in any specific direction, our only clue is that the next games will surprise us, and since we're no longer expecting the basic 3rd version option as a guarantee, even that could surprise us at this point. We could even get a spin-off game that ties into the main continuity, like the Orre games (which tied into Hoenn and Sinnoh) or the original Ranger game (which allowed Manaphy to be sent into the Sinnoh games).

So the anime still has a lot to draw from and the games can still be anything at this point.

I guess I might point out odd things about Zygarde. Many of them come from the derivative games' handling of the "Z" Pokemon...

-There is not a single printed trading card of Zygarde - Not even in the upcoming expansion Roaring Skies will there be one either.

-Pokemon Shuffle has not released Zygarde as a catchable Pokemon, even though Xerneas and Yveltal were in the original release.

-A Rumble World King's Challenge has Zygarde in it, with an awkward plot rather similar to the way you encounter it in the XY games: Just going through a mountain cave, finding it, and beating it. No villain or anyone manipulating the Pokemon to speak of.

With all this, no doubt Game Freak is basically telling the derivative makers to stay away from adding some kind of meaning to this Pokemon than what we know about it in X & Y. That is, they have plans with Zygarde that are important enough to not have anyone leak any more info about it... Or Gamefreak had yet to figure out how to deal with this Pokemon themselves, and don't want the derivatives to hi-jack its meaning from the next games.

Just speculating...

I'm still wondering how they plan to make Zygarde even remotely impressive after Rayquaza became a god, flew us into space, and casually brought Ubers to its knees. They brought a-lot of gravitas to a Pokemon who was already really popular...I feel like it'll have to be something special to garner attention after all that. Kind of excites and worries me at the same time...lol.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering how they plan to make Zygarde even remotely impressive after Rayquaza became a god, flew us into space, and casually brought Ubers to its knees. I feel like it'll have to be something special to garner attention after all that.
Remember during gen 4 when all of us were making fun of the developers for backing them selves into a corner by creating Arceus who's basically God?

They didn't try to top themselves in gen 5 they just took a step back and came up with something unique. Nothing needs to top Rayquaza; It just needs to stand out enough to be its own thing.

I guess I might point out odd things about Zygarde. Many of them come from the derivative games' handling of the "Z" Pokemon...

-There is not a single printed trading card of Zygarde - Not even in the upcoming expansion Roaring Skies will there be one either.

-Pokemon Shuffle has not released Zygarde as a catchable Pokemon, even though Xerneas and Yveltal were in the original release.

-A Rumble World King's Challenge has Zygarde in it, with an awkward plot rather similar to the way you encounter it in the XY games: Just going through a mountain cave, finding it, and beating it. No villain or anyone manipulating the Pokemon to speak of.

With all this, no doubt Game Freak is basically telling the derivative makers to stay away from adding some kind of meaning to this Pokemon than what we know about it in X & Y. That is, they have plans with Zygarde that are important enough to not have anyone leak any more info about it... Or Gamefreak had yet to figure out how to deal with this Pokemon themselves, and don't want the derivatives to hi-jack its meaning from the next games.

Just speculating...

I'm tellin' y'all...

a88.jpg

Basically Kalos as a whole, not just Zygarde.

I'm still wondering how they plan to make Zygarde even remotely impressive after Rayquaza became a god, flew us into space, and casually brought Ubers to its knees. They brought a-lot of gravitas to a Pokemon who was already really popular...I feel like it'll have to be something special to garner attention after all that. Kind of excites and worries me at the same time...lol.
Hoopa tears a rift in the multiverse, thousand arows is needed to travel to past Kalos, Thousand waves to the future. Oh and Zygarde rebuilds the universe along with Arceus.

Remember during gen 4 when all of us were making fun of the developers for backing them selves into a corner by creating Arceus who's basically God?

They didn't try to top themselves in gen 5 they just took a step back and came up with something unique.
True enough. But during that Generation, and others since RS, there's still a certain tenancy for them to up the scale by the game with their major Legends.

Even though it was a step back from Gen. 4, in itself we still had the progression from Reshiram/Zekrom to BW Kyurem. Absofusion gave it two new forms with an insane BST only 20 points shy of Arceus.

There's also of course the Sinnoh Legends, where we got Dialga/Palkia in DP > Giratina and the Distortion World in Plat. > Arceus creating all 3 in HGSS.

Extroth said:
Nothing needs to top Rayquaza; It just needs to stand out enough to be its own thing.

But that's sorta why Mega Ray in Gen 6 makes me curious as to how Zygarde will stand out exactly. Its yet another 3rd Version Mascot, Legendary Dragon, nullifies the abilities of the other box Legends, etc. They share similar roles, but Ray clearly stands out atm because of everything they did to it during ORAS. It doesn't have to top Rayquaza necessarily, but I personally think Zygarde should bring something big to the table, or it just seems underwhelming. Especially since this is its premier Generation.

Last edited:

There's an idea of how Zygarde could be unique, I posted it here.

Since Team Flare and Lysandre haven't appeared in the main anime I do wonder if it's the same reason Team Plasma under N didn't appear is maybe because the current Team Flare aren't going to be the bad guys? Since I do think the next Kalos game will be about redemption (hinted towards in ORAS with Maxie and Archie and AZ and Floette) there will probably be a new evil team so the anime may want to focus on that. Possibly the new evil team will destroy the landscape and make everything ugly (since the Kalos is based on beauty) and then Zygarde will come and sort it out?

But since Lysandre is in the Mega Evolutions special and it does hint towards him being evil and that he may meet up with Ash so my theory may have a slight flaw.

True enough. But during that Generation, and others since RS, there's still a certain tenancy for them to up the scale by the game with their major Legends.

Even though it was a step back from Gen. 4, in itself we still had the progression from Reshiram/Zekrom to BW Kyurem. Absofusion gave it two new forms with an insane BST only 20 points shy of Arceus.

There's also of course the Sinnoh Legends, where we got Dialga/Palkia in DP > Giratina and the Distortion World in Plat. > Arceus creating all 3 in HGSS.

Extroth said:
Nothing needs to top Rayquaza; It just needs to stand out enough to be its own thing.

But that's sorta why Mega Ray in Gen 6 makes me curious as to how Zygarde will stand out exactly. Its yet another 3rd Version Mascot, Legendary Dragon, nullifies the abilities of the other box Legends, etc. They share similar roles, but Ray clearly stands out atm because of everything they did to it during ORAS. It doesn't have to top Rayquaza necessarily, but I personally think Zygarde should bring something big to the table, or it just seems underwhelming. Especially since this is its premier Generation.
I think that if zx and zy or whatever they will be called don't happen it will be because of that issue. The developers will think about it for as long as it would take to realize they didn't have a good enough idea.

Well its either Kalos or gen 7 games. Those are likely to happen, any other games (Kanto/Sinnoh remakes) are 99% not gonna happen. Zygarde with a mega form would make it the stronger of the three game play legendaries.

Well its either Kalos or gen 7 games. Those are likely to happen, any other games (Kanto/Sinnoh remakes) are 99% not gonna happen. Zygarde with a mega form would make it the stronger of the three game play legendaries.

Holy almighty Arceus that is your profile pic, you've shifted your opinion on the matter!

Is DLC not going to happen? As far as I can tell, that's the best solution to the Zygarde Problem. It would also expand both games' awful post-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom