• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY073: Battle at the Fashion Show! Tatsubay VS Shushupu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more worried that they are mindlessly going to shoehorn Team Rocket into this episode despite a lot already going on here in the episode from what we know so far. I mean seriously is TWO epiosdes without TR really going to hurt considering that no one will notice anything since both this and the next episode are fairly battle heavy anyway.

And this title is misleading.

Is Shota battling Valerie, or not? The summary says he battles Ash...but what about "Bagon vs Spritzee?"

I don't get it, why is Ash battling Shota twice in a short period of time especially considering the ONLY team change will be from Shota?

If Ash were to hypothetically sweep Shota HERE, wouldn't waiting until AFTER Noibat being captured then having another battle with Shota make more sense?

I bet Valerie has an Audino based on her outfit reveal.

How does her outfit resemble an Audino?
Her dress colour. Sounds familiar?

On second thought, I think Audino is out of the list due to its typing is Normal type. It can be a Fairy type once it mega evolves but that's not highly possible.

Her dress is made up of purple, black, pink, and cream. Only two of those colors are shared with Audino...Between the few shared colors and her outfit's outlandish design, I think it's a stretch to say it resembles an Audino.

Say that to the official Bulbapedia page, which also states how the outfit resembles an Audino. It clearly does, even with its swirly patterns which can be found here and there.

I'm well aware of the Bulbapedia page, thank you. And I could care less for opinion crafted from a community of people.

Furthermore you're wrong, as it doesn't state how the outfit resembles an Audino. It just says it resembles it-which isn't good enough, is very vague and is purely in perspective. I highly doubt the first thing an avid Pokemon fan takes away upon first seeing Valerie is "My goodness! Her outfit resembles an Audino!"

Again, as I said before, her clothing does share some of Audinos' coloring, but that is about it. At least in my opinion.

Furthermore you're wrong, as it doesn't state how the outfit resembles an Audino. It just says it resembles it-which isn't good enough, is very vague and is purely in perspective.

Which doesn't change the fact that the majority of people still sees a rather clear resemblance - not saying that the outfit de facto is based of Audino - just that the similarites are rather striking. Naturally, whether you care for the opinion of the majority or not is completely irrelevant, as it's your opinion that you're completely entitled to, but that's not what I'm saying. I just think you're exaggerating by saying how far fetched a claim it is to make. It's not that hard to see.

I highly doubt the first thing an avid Pokemon fan takes away upon first seeing Valerie is "My goodness! Her outfit resembles an Audino!"

Oh, but do you want to know what an "avid" fan of the series probably would think upon first glimpse of Valerie? "Oh, her design's pretty unique compared to all the other characters, is she cosplaying? Is she cosplaying as a Pokémon...? Is she cosplaying as... Audino?". The colors, the patterns, her eyes (which clearly resemble the eyes of a Pokémon), it's just so obvious by her whole design that she's meant to function as a representation of cosplaying with her own personal touches put into the outfit.

Again, as I said before, her clothing does share some of Audinos' coloring, but that is about it. At least in my opinion.

You mean all of Audino's coloring (except maybe its white tail and its eyes)? Not to mention those ''ears'' she wears, those do also, to some degree, resemble Audino's ears in shape. But that's just my opinion.

Which doesn't change the fact that the majority of people still sees a rather clear resemblance - not saying that the outfit de facto is based of Audino - just that the similarites are rather striking. Naturally, whether you care for the opinion of the majority or not is completely irrelevant, as it's your opinion that you're completely entitled to, but that's not what I'm saying. I just think you're exaggerating by saying how far fetched a claim it is to make. It's not that hard to see.

Where exactly is your proof of that? Bulbapedia is not the face of the human race. Anyway, I didn't even mention the vast majority of opinion- I was just correcting you by pointing out how the wiki does not describe the resemblance, as it only merely states it.

And if I'm exaggerating because I don't see the resemblance, then I guess the same could be said for you, who does. Congratulations, we're exaggerating our opinions together.

Oh, but do you want to know what an "avid" fan of the series probably would think upon first glimpse of Valerie? "Oh, her design's pretty unique compared to all the other characters, is she cosplaying? Is she cosplaying as a Pokémon...? Is she cosplaying as... Audino?". The colors, the patterns, her eyes (which clearly resemble the eyes of a Pokémon), it's just so obvious by her whole design that she's meant to function as a representation of cosplaying with her own personal touches put into the outfit.

You wouldn't know that. Most people, avid or not, will think Valerie's appearance is unique, odd, or something in between. Only those who would over-analyze would think she's cosplaying, and cosplaying a Pokemon at that. And her outfit isn't obviously cosplay. It could, I don't know, just be an outfit. She doesn't state that she's cosplaying a specific Pokemon, it doesn't explicilty look like a Pokemon and it resembles more of a colorful lolita outfit if anything.

You mean all of Audino's coloring (except maybe its white tail and its eyes)?

No, I mean some. Because Audino's complete coloring is cream, pink, white and blue, with only half (i.e. some) of those colors implemented in Valerie's design.

Could someone please translate this please?
ceFNMkT.jpg

It also looks like ash using Frogadier to battle Shota.

ceFNMkT.jpg

Here is a new summary of the episode.

Having arrived in Laverre City, Ash and his friends immediately go to have a Gym match. However, Gym Leader Valerie tells that that a fashion show showcasing dresses she's designed is taking place today, so she's unable to do a Gym match. The disappointed Ash happens upon a Trainer named Shota and ends up having a battle against him instead. However, his travel-mates Serena and Bonnie are nowhere to be seen......?

ceFNMkT.jpg

Having arrived in Laverre City, Ash and his friends immediately go to have a Gym match. However, Gym Leader Valerie tells that that a fashion show showcasing dresses she's designed is taking place today, so she's unable to do a Gym match. The disappointed Ash happens upon a Trainer named Shota and ends up having a battle against him instead. However, his travel-mates Serena and Bonnie are nowhere to be seen......?

Oh thank god. I think this battle get interrupted.

I was wondering why XY073, Ash battles Shota but then he battles in XY075, with no difference except Ash getting his badge, and Shota's Treecko evolving.

Like I said, it would've made more sense to have a battle after Noibat's capture, rather than two episodes apart with only Ash having the fairy badge as a difference, would've made the battle very boring even with Grovyle.

My guess on what will happen during this episode:
- Serena and Bonnie probably go to the fashion show where Serena gets the idea of using one of Valerie's dresses for her next showcase.
- Ash and Shouta's battle will be Frogadier vs. Treecko, and it will be interrupted by Clemont telling Ash and co. that Serena and Bonnie went missing.
- Ash, Shouta, and Clemont reunite with Serena and Bonnie at the fashion show.
- Shouta challenges Valerie to a gym battle at the fashion show, and loses (most likely because of Trick Room, but also because Shouta may not know that his Bagon's Dragon-type moves don't work on Fairy-types).

The sleeves of her dress are based around the top of Audino's head + ears. The colour is slightly different between the two, but even the lilac/pink + cream is the same layout as as Audino - being lilac/pink on top with cream at bottom.

WRZXLH9.png

If you can't see it after the above image then idk what to say.

Last edited:
Where exactly is your proof of that? Bulbapedia is not the face of the human race.

And where did I make that claim? Bulbapedia is, however, pretty much the wiki center for all things Pokémon related.

You wouldn't know that. Most people, avid or not, will think Valerie's appearance is unique, odd, or something in between.

Well, it's not like you yourself can't visit older forums talking about Valerie's design when she was first revealed. You'll notice that it won't be especially hard before you stumble upon posts commenting about how her design is quite extraordinary in comparision to other characters, with her outfit being cosplay-ish and her eyes being super peculiar. Then we have quite a few of those that actually notice the resemblence to Audino's design, like the person you first quoted, OR the person who posted above me.

Only those who would over-analyze would think she's cosplaying, and cosplaying a Pokemon at that.

You do realize that Valerie herself is talking about wanting to be a Pokémon, right? Here, I'll show you.

"I've always wanted to be a Pokémon, you see. That desire is my inspiration and what I try to achieve by designing."

"By designing", she says. So, only those ''over-analyze'' would assume she's cosplaying, huh? And a Pokémon at that? Well, she is designing those very clothes in order to identify herself with a Pokémon.

She doesn't state that she's cosplaying a specific Pokemon, it doesn't explicilty look like a Pokemon and it resembles more of a colorful lolita outfit if anything.

I'll refer you to the text above here, but yes, I too think that it represents the lolita culture as well. That doesn't, however, exclude the outfit from being cosplay-inspired as well. She did design it herself in purpose of identifying with Pokémon, after all.

And where did I make that claim? Bulbapedia is, however, pretty much the wiki center for all things Pokémon related.

You wouldn't know that. Most people, avid or not, will think Valerie's appearance is unique, odd, or something in between.

Well, it's not like you yourself can't visit older forums talking about Valerie's design when she was first revealed. You'll notice that it won't be especially hard before you stumble upon posts commenting about how her design is quite extraordinary in comparision to other characters, with her outfit being cosplay-ish and her eyes being super peculiar. Then we have quite a few of those that actually notice the resemblence to Audino's design, like the person you first quoted, OR the person who posted above me.

Only those who would over-analyze would think she's cosplaying, and cosplaying a Pokemon at that.

You do realize that Valerie herself is talking about wanting to be a Pokémon, right? Here, I'll show you.

"I've always wanted to be a Pokémon, you see. That desire is my inspiration and what I try to achieve by designing."

"By designing", she says. So, only those ''over-analyze'' would assume she's cosplaying, huh? And a Pokémon at that? Well, she is designing those very clothes in order to identify herself with a Pokémon.

She doesn't state that she's cosplaying a specific Pokemon, it doesn't explicilty look like a Pokemon and it resembles more of a colorful lolita outfit if anything.

I'll refer you to the text above here, but yes, I too think that it represents the lolita culture as well. That doesn't, however, exclude the outfit from being cosplay-inspired as well. She did design it herself in purpose of identifying with Pokémon, after all.

1. You insinuated the claim about Bulbapedia when you fervently rushed to cite it as the by all end all fact that Valerie's outfit is based off an Audino. The fact that you're referencing it again as the main source for Pokemon credibility only strengthens this notion.
2. Again, you're only only looking at a specific sphere of people-people who actually go on forums such as these to discuss such topics, people who actually know of the cosplay genre, people who make up a slim percentage of the population of this world. I'm referring to anyone who would see Valerie's design, not people who specifically know the potential basing of said design. And I'm sorry, but most people wouldn't autmatically think "Cosplay!" when they see it, especially the demographic that Pokemon is mainly aimed at.
3. Yes she does talk about wanting to be a Pokemon, but 1) she never mentions cosplay and 2) she doesn't refer specifically to what Pokemon she wants to be. You can style outfits after certain things/images/concepts/etc without it being cosplay; fashion designers do it all the time. So yes, I'm sticking by my statement of only those who really look inward and try to make connections would deem it cosplay.
4. Like I said before, you can design something after something. But that does not make it cosplay.

I now see the resemblance of her outfit to an Audino (thank you Zeb), but I disagree that it is cosplay. And I also don't think that cosplay is such a widespread, common culture, that anyone and everyone would know about it and thus declare that is Valerie's intent ( I apologize for that run-on sentence). So we can agree to disagree and leave this conversation at that.

lol how is arguing about Audino vs. Valerie's outfit even relevant to the episode at all?

Aaanyway, I really hope the fashion show has something to do with Serena's next showcase. It's been quite a while since she's been in one...do we even know where her next will take place ?_?

This is how I think the episode will play out:
-Ash and Co. reach Laverre and go to the gym.
- But when they reach the gym they tell that Valerie is busy with a fashion show
- Ash goes out sadly but along the road he meets Shota and challenges him to a battle.
-Clemont comes and interrupts the battle talking about how Serena and Bonnie are missing.
-It turns out later that TR has kidnapped Serena and Bonnie(sorry but I'm really sceptical that the writers will think up of something more original other than more TR antics).
-Ash and Shota blast of TR and rescue Serena and Bonnie.
-Then Valerie sees Ash and Shota blasting offTR.
-Shota then begs Valerie for a battle and she accepts and Shota loses the battle.

The VA list.

Ash: Rica Matsumoto
Clemont: Yūki Kaji
Bonnie: Mariya Ise
Serena: Mayuki Makiguchi
Pikachu: Ikue Ohtani
Frogadier: Yūji Ueda
Fletchinder: Yuka Terasaki
Hawlucha: Shin'ichirō Miki
Dedenne: Megumi Satō
Braixen: Megumi Hayashibara
Valerie: Satsuki Yukino
Kali: Natsuki Aikawa
Katherine: Arisa Date
Sylveon: Chinatsu Akasaki
Spritzee: Hitomi Nabatame
Bagon: Kiyotaka Furushima

Ash and his friends have arrived in Laverre City. They immediately go to have a Gym match, but the Gym is currently closed. It turns out that Gym Leader Valerie is holding a fashion show today. While Ash is disappointed he can't have a Gym match, he ends up meeting a Trainer named Shota in the Gym and ends up having a battle against him instead. They decide to battle with two Pokémon each; What kind of Pokémon will Shota send out?

Last edited:
Wait, where's Shota's VA and his Pokemon?

Shota is voiced by Ash's Pikachu and Shota's Treecko is probably voiced by a VA who is already on the main cast, which means they would get priority on the VA lists.

So no Shota vs. Valerie?

That's disappointing :-(

Shota is voiced by Ash's Pikachu and Shota's Treecko is probably voiced by a VA who is already on the main cast, which means they would get priority on the VA lists.
Ah thanks! I was kinda worried until you've showed me the answer. I know it may sounds silly but I honestly don't get used to Pikachu's VA voicing another character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom