• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the time gap, I think you are right. And I suppose Emerald takes place even before the remakes, judging by the modernized version of Mauville in those... Some 10 years?

Not quite, because ORAS also has a lot of hints towards Emerald elements happening in the future (the Battle Frontier, Wallace replacing Steven as Champion, Match Call, etc.). ORAS is simply in an alternate universe from Emerald.

About the time gap, I think you are right. And I suppose Emerald takes place even before the remakes, judging by the modernized version of Mauville in those... Some 10 years?

Not quite, because ORAS also has a lot of hints towards Emerald elements happening in the future (the Battle Frontier, Wallace replacing Steven as Champion, Match Call, etc.). ORAS is simply in an alternate universe from Emerald.

No, you are right. I forgot about thr BF hint. What do you mean by "Match Call"? It´s in both right?

Last edited:

I seriously hope that all these hints amount to something, but as time goes on I feel less optimistic. The Reddit thread that first leaked these details around the time of the games' release also includes indications that an NPC states more Pokemon have been reacting to Mega Stones, and that Juan and Palmer are mentioned in-game. I don't recall seeing any of these latter references myself though, even in the Delta Episode.

What do you mean by "Match Call"? It´s in both right?
Match Call was the Emerald advancement of the R/S Trainer's Eye feature. It was similar to the GSC/HGSS rematch system using the PokeGear's Phone function, and was the first to actually allow Gym Leader rematches. Sadly ORAS only included the Trainer's Eye from Ruby and Sapphire, but IIRC the Delta Episode showed a beta version of the Match Call when Steven contacted the player through the PokeNav. This either shows that Match Call was considered in full for the remakes but scrapped completely due to time constraints, or that perhaps there are plans for it to be included in an update later on.

No, you are right. I forgot about thr BF hint. What do you mean by "Match Call"? It´s in both right?

Match Call is an improved version of the Trainer's Eyes in Emerald that serves as a phone (similar to the one in GSCHGSS). It's mentioned to still be in development in ORAS.

I seriously hope that all these hints amount to something, but as time goes on I feel less optimistic. The Reddit thread that first leaked these details around the time of the games' release also includes indications that an NPC states more Pokemon have been reacting to Mega Stones, and that Juan and Palmer are mentioned in-game. I don't recall seeing any of these latter references myself though, even in the Delta Episode.

What do you mean by "Match Call"? It´s in both right?
Match Call was the Emerald advancement of the R/S Trainer's Eye feature. It was similar to the GSC/HGSS rematch system using the PokeGear's Phone function, and was the first to actually allow Gym Leader rematches. Sadly ORAS only included the Trainer's Eye from Ruby and Sapphire, but IIRC the Delta Episode showed a beta version of the Match Call when Steven contacted the player through the PokeNav. This either shows that Match Call was considered in full for the remakes but scrapped completely due to time constraints, or that perhaps there are plans for it to be included in an update later on.

Well, if Match Call can be added in a furure ORAS update, why not more things? As far as I know, DLC is uncompatible with the current generation. Which would make no sense.

This either shows that Match Call was considered in full for the remakes but scrapped completely due to time constraints, or that perhaps there are plans for it to be included in an update later on.
Honestly more than anything it's likely just a nod to Emerald, like the existence of the Battle Tower model and Steven suggesting that he may step down.

Match Call is an improved version of the Trainer's Eyes in Emerald that serves as a phone (similar to the one in GSCHGSS). It's mentioned to still be in development in ORAS.

Rebattling Gym Leaders is not something I really care about, but I still don´t understand why is it not included, it´s just a copy paste thing.

Rebattling Gym Leaders is not something I really care about, but I still don´t understand why is it not included, it´s just a copy paste thing.

This. There's nothing about including Gym Leader rematches that requires any significant amount of time, effort, or money. It's as simple as setting the rosters and picking a place and trigger for you to rematch them. So I don't see much reason why they couldn't have included this feature.

It's interesting, because in that interview, he says ORAS were made because of fan demand.

Well now that the fans are demanding the Battle Frontier... what say you Masuda?

Honestly more than anything it's likely just a nod to Emerald, like the existence of the Battle Tower model and Steven suggesting that he may step down.

I'd agree that all those things are most likely nothing more than a nod to Emerald. As much as I enjoyed ORAS in their own right, it's jarring to see features as popular as those mentioned (Battle Frontier, Match Call and the domino effect of Steven leaving his position) only returning in the form of Easter Eggs in ORAS when said features were instrumental in making Emerald such an improvement over Ruby and Sapphire. It seems that Game Freak treated Emerald as an afterthought during the production of ORAS, when I really hoped that they were going to utilise and build on the features it introduced to make these remakes the definitive Hoenn games to date.

Would cooperation really would've taken that long though? I highly doubt the Maison halted production of ORAS that much when they ported it over, so I don't think the Frontier would've done it either, especially if it was just a copy-paste.
X and Y were completely through development before ORAS was started. The Maison was done. And you can't just copy-paste code from a GBA game to a 3DS game; the Frontier would actually have to be remade.

You know what I want? I want a new generation with new Pokemon families, new evolutions to older things, split evolutions, baby Pokemon AND Megas. I really hope they haven't abandoned the cross-generational evolutions. I liked most of them.

I think the most likely scenario is 2015 will debut Gen VII and that new region X/Y hinted at. Pokemon's an annual franchise now. Since Platinum we've had a new game every year and I don't think they'll stop now.
I disagree about this point, and I'm surprised at you given what you said about this in the past. Just in 2011 no game was released in Japan, so while the series is close to being annual, we haven't had more than three consecutive releases so far. If anything, Game Freak should release Generation VII in early 2016 around the 20th anniversary.

There is no room for sequels in this generation if it is meant to last three years at most. Generation V included sequels, but no remakes were released in 2011. It is naive to expect Game Freak to release new games every year without recycling content. Hopefully, the next generation will include sequels (possibly for an old region) rather than more remakes.

Updating XY would make a lot more sense than releasing a third version with barely any new content, especially given what we know about the legendaries. I also doubt that ORAS would include so many Mega Evolutions for Pokémon outside the Hoenn Pokédex if another Generation VI game were being planned. Since Zygarde has two hidden moves which are both based on Land's Wrath, I expect to see Mega Zygarde X and Y.

While that is true for Japan, from my perspective Pokemon is an annual series. Since Platinum, North America has seen a Pokemon game released every year. What I said is true from my point of view (and yes that is sort of a Star Wars reference). Also I do agree that updating X/Y just might happen. A standard third version from what we expect would include the unavailable legendaries and now more Mega Evolutions. OR/AS is doing both of those though which cuts out a sizeable portion of a potential Z's post game. 7/16 of the revealed Megas aren't from Hoenn. We all knew there were going to be non Hoenn megas but nobody was expecting Game Freak to give Megas to the early route birds or bugs. At least not in OR/AS.

Then there is the big question of if the B-team are doing OR/AS right now, what will the next project be? If the main team is working on the new region then I'm super curious to see what the next b-team game will be. Game Freak is always working two games at once.

Who do you call Main and B- Team? Are you suggesting they are making DLC instead of bothering with sequels for Kalos?

Last edited:
Would cooperation really would've taken that long though? I highly doubt the Maison halted production of ORAS that much when they ported it over, so I don't think the Frontier would've done it either, especially if it was just a copy-paste.
X and Y were completely through development before ORAS was started. The Maison was done. And you can't just copy-paste code from a GBA game to a 3DS game; the Frontier would actually have to be remade.

Looks like we had a miscommunication, I thought you meant porting it over to Z/XY2 after it was already done, not building up the Frontier itself. That's why I compared it to the Maison since both would be ported over to the next game.

You know what I want? I want a new generation with new Pokemon families, new evolutions to older things, split evolutions, baby Pokemon AND Megas. I really hope they haven't abandoned the cross-generational evolutions. I liked most of them.

Well there is Sylveon, but that's about it.

IDK about the Pokémon reacting to Mega Stones thing, or the Palmer shout-out, but Juan is definitely given a shout-out during the Delta Episode. When you battle Wallace at the base of Sky Pillar, he mentions his "master", which could be the old guardian guy in the Cave of Origin, or it could be Juan. I choose to think it's Juan LOL

We'll always get new families, and unless Game Freak wants to destroy every change they've made to the Metagame this generation, they'll keep introducing Mega's. Baby Pokémon, Cross-Gen Evo's and split family trees would be amazing and they are loved, so I hope they come back.

Lisia mentions Juan as Wallace's mentor at one point after you play against both of them in a Contest.

She also mentions him being friends with a strong trainer who "looks like a star"...Made me think of Tucker. I could see them sharing fashion tips.

If its all just easter eggs, I think they should've at the very least left the characters in the actual game as people that you could interact and battle with. I'll be damned if they market them along with the Frontier and other features as new content for another game...

I think GF just figured that if we saw emerald callbacks it would be enough, but that probably backfired alot. I really don't understand why not use the elements of the third game to supplement the duo, considering how its the full thing after all. IF DLC was allowed, and GF was making it sure, but otherwise I can't support it at all. On a side note:
Why isn't DLC allowed? I understand the fact that the games do not support it, but considering how patches are supported, I am pretty sure the ability to retain and download DLC can be patched in. IIRC NSMB2 and FE:A did not come with DLC capabilities, and a later update patched the games to do so. In that case, DLC could happen. At the back of my mind, I still hope that if XY2 were to happen or some sort like that before gen 7, I would be much more comfortable with a one-two combo:
XY+/ORAS+ rereleases of the games with in February. Base versions gain the ability to patch in DLC support, allows for megas across all 4 games, either DLC costs 10$ each with substantial content, and game exclusive features. All this is featured in the games if you've never bought em.
Then in Fall Gen 7 comes along. Its not really two games in one year, nor is it too much for a year. Just a little more content for already bought games, or a GOTY edition thing for those who are on the fence.

I think GF just figured that if we saw emerald callbacks it would be enough, but that probably backfired alot. I really don't understand why not use the elements of the third game to supplement the duo, considering how its the full thing after all. IF DLC was allowed, and GF was making it sure, but otherwise I can't support it at all. On a side note:
Why isn't DLC allowed? I understand the fact that the games do not support it, but considering how patches are supported, I am pretty sure the ability to retain and download DLC can be patched in. IIRC NSMB2 and FE:A did not come with DLC capabilities, and a later update patched the games to do so. In that case, DLC could happen. At the back of my mind, I still hope that if XY2 were to happen or some sort like that before gen 7, I would be much more comfortable with a one-two combo:
XY+/ORAS+ rereleases of the games with in February. Base versions gain the ability to patch in DLC support, allows for megas across all 4 games, either DLC costs 10$ each with substantial content, and game exclusive features. All this is featured in the games if you've never bought em.
Then in Fall Gen 7 comes along. Its not really two games in one year, nor is it too much for a year. Just a little more content for already bought games, or a GOTY edition thing for those who are on the fence.

After playing Pokemon X, honestly, I don´t think I would be interested in re-visiting Kalos in a new game. Kalos is beautiful, but there is not much to do... After you finish the main game, there is only Lumiose City and the Battle Maison.

Hoenn, on the other hand feels like ther is a LOT more to explore, even in the post- game.

So what I mean is, (i´m pretty sure they will NOT do it) why not releasing a DLC with a Zygrade extra story, to give Kalos a more "complete feeling" and go to generation 7?

Kalos is great to visit, but I already have X for that purpose. A whole new game only to make Zygrade important? I think that could be achieved with a patch/DLC. I´d gladly download a DLC for Zygrade.

And seriously, I hope the next region has more things to do, Kalos feels a bit empty in the post-game, at least to me...

Last edited:
From what I've understood in this thread, DLC and the patches that people keep making comparisons to are totally different things. The patches that have been released for X/Y/ORAS were only to fix bugs in the games, nothing else. If it's been proven that the current games can't support DLC, then honestly I don't think it's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom