• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is shoving it down your throat, you are a free individual, you are free not to buy it.

The "just don't buy it" argument again, huh. I already explained that not buying it doesn't (and wouldn't) mean I can't have an opinion on it. The situation here is not: either you agree with these remakes exactly or you don't get to have a say.

It's you trying to stuff things down our throats, saying that the fans who've never played Gen 1, and the fans of remakes can't have them because you've played it twice and don't particularly want to again.

You're proving my point exactly that anyone who is anti-Kanto remake is made into such a big bad villain! Because here's a thing: I never said that they can't have them. I never said they won't have them. I said I don't want them. Forgive me for me saying I don't want them, I forgot we have to hivemind on everything and discussing why I don't want them is me shoving it down your throats.

But do you think I play these games and support this series for other people or for myself? (That's rhetorical. You already said I'm a free individual so work it out yourself.)

Oh you poor thing, no one is saying you can't have an opinion, we know you don't want them, you've told us loud and clear, but you expect that Nintendo needs your approval, or needs to cater specifically for your opinion.

Seems you are incapable of being reasonable in a discussion, in part due to not understanding how opinions work and having to resort to this level of aggressive false representation.

Also, I said I don't want the remakes if they are the exact same as we've been through. Just because these 7-12 year old haven't experienced RBFRLG Kanto doesn't mean the games have to be the exact same as them. They can still have older fans be treated and be the best of both worlds, you know?

And you know, I actually wouldn't mind this sort of (weak) attempt at a condescending reply if you had actually read my posts and acknowledged half the stuff I was saying. Instead of running in all guns blazing firing shots.

With all due respect I don't think Nintendo will lose much sleep if you boycott Kanto remakes

That wasn't even my point... I wouldn't be boycotting them because they simply don't interest me for all the reasons I said. That's not a boycott because I'm not doing it as an act of protest, I'm doing it because they just won't interest me. If you decline from seeing a movie at the cinema because it doesn't interest you is that you boycotting that movie? If a book doesn't interest you does that mean you're boycotting the book by not buying it? Is that you thinking the director will lose any sleep over you not going? Again, it's this whole thing of you trying to falsely represent my opinion/points and it's silly.

I really don't get why people are anti Kanto? Yes XY had some elements in but we've not played through the main story for over 11 years!!

I don't understand why the people who are pro Kanto consider this a good reason? It might have been 11 years, but we've still played through the main story twice now, we don't need to do it a third time. Especially when things like picking a Kanto starter, the legendary birds to catch, Mewtwo in a cave, Viridian Forest, needing a PokeFlute for Snorlax and whatever else I'm forgetting were already in XY. We even had Pokemon Origins - an anime based on the games - when XY launched. I don't know how drawn out Kanto fans want it to be? I don't care if it is 11 years, it makes no difference to how much repetitiveness there would be going back and playing it again after all the exposure its had.

If we are going back then I want to see big changes to Kanto + its characters, preferably due to a time skip where lots of things have changed. I don't want to be replaying R/B/FR/LG for the third time just with different graphics.

Also I'm taking that video with the names with a huge grain of salt. I don't expect anything to come of it.

Completely agree. Kanto is the smallest region as of number of cities and towns, etc.

I would much prefer an other Hoenn game (quite unlikely to be the next project though), an other Kalos set of games or Sinnoh remakes/new games (Sinnoh is the region I played the least and its my second favourite so even remakes are ok for me). Kanto is Ok. Personally, I like all the regions but Kanto is my n5 rfavourite region. I think a game set in Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kalos or a new region is a better Idea.
So 11 years is too early for another Kanto instalment, but 1 year for another Hoenn instalment is completely fine?
If the game is gonna be a Kanto based one, I´d be glad if it was more Yellow- based, rather than Blue or Red. Or a whole new game with a different Kanto. Bigger, and changed, like BW2...

It'd have to be yellow as there are only 2 slots left for games in XY/ORAS coding one of which is reserved for the 3rd Kalos instalment. Also yellow works nicely as its a 20th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise, of which the anime is a part.

----------

I didn´t say they should make an other Hoenn remake now, I just said that´s what I woul prefer.

I agree about yellow, but I had NO IDEA that this generation only had 2 slots left in it´s coding. So if they make Kalos sequels, does it mean any remakes coming after will be part of Gen 7?

PD About your explanation about "the targeted audience of the age of 7- 12" wanting Kanto remakes cause they probably never played the originals and the remakes, I think you are contradicting yourself. The Kanto remakes demand is coming from the Kanto-nostalgia-players, and those are NOT the 7-12 key targeted audience you imply. The targeted audience CAN´T feel nostalgia for a region they have never visited LOL.

The targeted audience of 7- 12 don´t care where the next games are going to be located, they just want more new Pokemon. They don´t prefer Kanto over any other region.

But if Nintendo´s argument is "they young audience never visited Kanto... It´s true, but have they visited Johto? No! Remember,the last timewe visited Johto, we visited Kanto too, cause it was a 2 region game.

I'm sorry you misunderstand me. There's the group like myself who are old fans who feel nostalgia for Kanto, and want a remake to celebrate the 20th anniversary. But then there is also the group who haven't played Main Kanto yet who would not oppose a new Kanto game. Now obviously there not feeling nostalgia, but stuff like Pokemon Origins could have been to peak their interest. It's also incredibly easy for Game Freak to make. As the story, the Pokemon, and 3D engine are already here, they just need to combine the 2, and possibly throw in a few new extra (I want Mew to be catchable like Deoxys was!)

And your right this group might not have visited Johto yet, but they can still play HGSS on their 3DS, and anyway Kanto comes before Johto.

And I don't count the hollow Kanto in the Johto Postgame as being the same as playing through the original Kanto, the real Kanto, that gave birth to this franchise. It's nowhere near the same story for a start.

Again, I think remakes are out of the question. Origins was definitely a retelling of the games for newer players, establishing the games in the megaverse, and setting up a sequel hook by giving us Red's disappearance and the Mt Silver encounter as a result of Mew Hunting. I definitely feel a mew subplot would be central to Kanto, and probably be the key to all this mega business. Now if Kanto sequels aren't your thing I can see two things going down(call it a safe route/wtf B2W2 situation if you want):
To celebrate the 20th, Kanto is once again post game content, as a call back to gens 2 and 4. Even gen patterns strike again!
OR
Fire Emblem IF craziness. Zygarde features in Pokemon Red Z/Green Z, the final Kalos games, as well as the return of Kanto. Red Z is the easier game in Kalos with Team Flare central to the plot, while Green Z is for the series fans' offering a major challenge, while being Kanto sequels as well. The post games would deal with the aftermath of the main plot in the other region, offering a somewhat different story, but filling in the lore given by the other game. That or beating both games instead unlocks a new mini region, that features your two protags teaming up against a common threat or something.

Fire Emblem IF craziness. Zygarde features in Pokemon Red Z/Green Z, the final Kalos games, as well as the return of Kanto. Red Z is the easier game in Kalos with Team Flare central to the plot, while Green Z is for the series fans' offering a major challenge, while being Kanto sequels as well. The post games would deal with the aftermath of the main plot in the other region, offering a somewhat different story, but filling in the lore given by the other game. That or beating both games instead unlocks a new mini region, that features your two protags teaming up against a common threat or something.

I know people lately cite Fire Emblem If as a representation of the idea of two different games in a pair, but If was only announced in January so I don't know if they would necessarily be similar in regards to difficulty levels and the like (like If is). It seems like difficulty levels won't be coming back given how they are trying to streamline and simplify things anyway.

Getting two games - both being different - in this fashion could happen though. I mean it's just more money for Game Freak if people really wanted to buy both. I don't know if it would be Kanto and Kalos though, I guess we'd have to wait and see - we still have the unresolved situation with the Strange Souvenir afterall.

@Zeb;

It's the way the no camp speak that is forcing them.

Phrases such as "they won't happen," or "its out the question" I'm speaking broadly here not just at you.
And perhaps I read your comment wrong but it sounded to me like you were saying Nintendo needed your approval "I will support them if..."

And it is kind of a boycott if your into Pokemon, buy all the Pokemon games, then don't buy one because of a decision that Nintendo have made.
Like I said, my own boycott of ORAS failed as I've been a fan too long and there was just enough new stuff to rope me in. I believe the same will happen to you, they won't just copy/paste Gen 1 after all.
@Mitchman; Sadly that sounds fantastic but a little too ambitious for Game Freak.

That would be really interesting for Game Freak to team up with another gaming company to produce a main series game. For me, doing a main series game that way would be more interesting than doing it with a spin-off. If there's anything that Game Freak needs to improve on right now, I imagine that their main series games would be their first priority over any spin-offs. Partnering up with outside help for the core series, you can't get any fresher than that for something new.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THE MERGER, NED! DON'T TALK ABOUT IT.

I really don't get why people are anti Kanto? Yes XY had some elements in but we've not played through the main story for over 11 years!!

I don't understand why the people who are pro Kanto consider this a good reason? It might have been 11 years, but we've still played through the main story twice now, we don't need to do it a third time. Especially when things like picking a Kanto starter, the legendary birds to catch, Mewtwo in a cave, Viridian Forest, needing a PokeFlute for Snorlax and whatever else I'm forgetting were already in XY. We even had Pokemon Origins - an anime based on the games - when XY launched. I don't know how drawn out Kanto fans want it to be? I don't care if it is 11 years, it makes no difference to how much repetitiveness there would be going back and playing it again after all the exposure its had.

If we are going back then I want to see big changes to Kanto + its characters, preferably due to a time skip where lots of things have changed. I don't want to be replaying R/B/FR/LG for the third time just with different graphics.

Also I'm taking that video with the names with a huge grain of salt. I don't expect anything to come of it.

Completely agree. Kanto is the smallest region as of number of cities and towns, etc.

I would much prefer an other Hoenn game (quite unlikely to be the next project though), an other Kalos set of games or Sinnoh remakes/new games (Sinnoh is the region I played the least and its my second favourite so even remakes are ok for me). Kanto is Ok. Personally, I like all the regions but Kanto is my n5 rfavourite region. I think a game set in Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kalos or a new region is a better Idea.
So 11 years is too early for another Kanto instalment, but 1 year for another Hoenn instalment is completely fine?
If the game is gonna be a Kanto based one, I´d be glad if it was more Yellow- based, rather than Blue or Red. Or a whole new game with a different Kanto. Bigger, and changed, like BW2...

It'd have to be yellow as there are only 2 slots left for games in XY/ORAS coding one of which is reserved for the 3rd Kalos instalment. Also yellow works nicely as its a 20th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise, of which the anime is a part.

----------

I didn´t say they should make an other Hoenn remake now, I just said that´s what I would prefer.

I agree about yellow, but I had NO IDEA that this generation only had 2 slots left in it´s coding. So if they make Kalos sequels, does it mean any remakes coming after will be part of Gen 7?

About your explanation about "the targeted audience of the age of 7- 12" wanting Kanto remakes cause they never played the originals and the remakes, I think you are contradicting yourself. The Kanto remakes demand is coming from the Kanto-nostalgia-players, and those are NOT the 7-12 key targeted audience you imply. The targeted audience CAN´T feel nostalgia for a region they have never visited LOL.

The targeted audience of 7- 12 doesn´t care where the next games are going to be located, they just want more new Pokemon and cool features. They don´t prefer Kanto over any other region.

But if Nintendo´s argument is "they young audience never visited Kanto... It´s true, but have they visited Johto? No. Shinnoh? No. Remember, the last time we visited Johto, we visited Kanto too, cause it was a 2 region game.

Can someone explain these two slots? I haven't heard of these until this thread. There's data for two more games, exactly, in XYORAS?

The same arguments were made for why we didn't need Gen 2 remakes, for why we didn't need Gen 3 remakes, and my crystall ball tells me the same people will be peddling the same argument for why we don't need the inevitable Gen 4 remakes. No game is "needed", but many games are "wanted".

I like how you ignored all but the first sentence of my argument. Kind of gives me the impression that that's all you read. Because I did mention that fan demand is something that determines which games get made. What I was saying is that "OMGBLT we made a new~ timeline!!!" is not a sufficient justification for producing remakes of FRLG and HGSS and DP and BW.

----------

I didn´t say they should make an other Hoenn remake now, I just said that´s what I would prefer.

About your explanation about "the targeted audience of the age of 7- 12" wanting Kanto remakes cause they never played the originals and the remakes, I think you are contradicting yourself. The Kanto remakes demand is coming from the Kanto-nostalgia-players, and those are NOT the 7-12 key targeted audience you imply. The targeted audience CAN´T feel nostalgia for a region they have never visited LOL.

The targeted audience of 7- 12 doesn´t care where the next games are going to be located, they just want more new Pokemon and cool features. They don´t prefer Kanto over any other region.

But if Nintendo´s argument is "they young audience never visited Kanto... It´s true, but have they visited Johto? No. Shinnoh? No. Remember, the last time we visited Johto, we visited Kanto too, cause it was a 2 region game.

Can someone explain these two slots? I haven't heard of these until this thread. There's data for two more games, exactly, in XYORAS?
@EmpoleonProd; basically when you connect with one of the games, there are certain slots in the data, that tell you where the other Pokemon is from, this is how in ORAS, the game knows whether your Pokemon was transferred all the way from Ruby/Sapphire to give you that Secret Base decoration. For Gen 6 there are only 2 slots left. If Game Freak wanted to make 3 more games for this generation, the 3rd would be incompatible with XY/ORAS completely, because any Pokemon sent from there, would not have an original location slot.

The same arguments were made for why we didn't need Gen 2 remakes, for why we didn't need Gen 3 remakes, and my crystall ball tells me the same people will be peddling the same argument for why we don't need the inevitable Gen 4 remakes. No game is "needed", but many games are "wanted".

I like how you ignored all but the first sentence of my argument. Kind of gives me the impression that that's all you read. Because I did mention that fan demand is something that determines which games get made. What I was saying is that "OMGBLT we made a new~ timeline!!!" is not a sufficient justification for producing remakes of FRLG and HGSS and DP and BW.

Because that was a point you directed to someone else. I never mentioned anything about needing Kanto because of the timeline. So why would I answer a point you directed at someone else?

As it stands though they do have a point, it would be nice to see Mega Kanto. Maybe Gary would have a Mega Kanto starter, or Lance would finally have Mega Dragonite?

BW are likely the one gen I dont see getting remakes. Gonna be one hell of a mess for Unova if they stick to its base areas insteadvof the vastly superior time skip geography. @Zeb; I dont even wanna get into the logistics needed to justify springing up a new region alongside the current one in a pair of games. Kanto and Kalos work due to the timing, and how it works as bookend rrgions of then and now side to side.

----------

@EmpoleonProd; basically when you connect with one of the games, there are certain slots in the data, that tell you where the other Pokemon is from, this is how in ORAS, the game knows whether your Pokemon was transferred all the way from Ruby/Sapphire to give you that Secret Base decoration. For Gen 6 there are only 2 slots left. If Game Freak wanted to make 3 more games for this generation, the 3rd would be incompatible with XY/ORAS completely, because any Pokemon sent from there, would not have an original location slot.

Because that was a point you directed to someone else. I never mentioned anything about needing Kanto because of the timeline. So why would I answer a point you directed at someone else?

As it stands though they do have a point, it would be nice to see Mega Kanto. Maybe Gary would have a Mega Kanto starter, or Lance would finally have Mega Dragonite?

In HG/SS, his neutral team, that consistent of his non-starter Fire/Grass/Water options from his FR/LG teams, his ace was, surprisingly, Pidgeot.

In Yellow he got an Eeveelution, which they probably won't have megas, in FR/LG he got the starter strong to your's, but also possesses Pokemon like Gyarados and Tyranitar at some point. Picking a mega for him is a real problem, especially if we go the Yellow route... Which is what I would prefer, in a starter-neutral team it could be Tyranitar, Gyarados, or Pidgeot... With a starter team it would obviously be his starter.

BW are likely the one gen I dont see getting remakes. Gonna be one hell of a mess for Unova if they stick to its base areas insteadvof the vastly superior time skip geography. @Zeb; I dont even wanna get into the logistics needed to justify springing up a new region alongside the current one in a pair of games. Kanto and Kalos work due to the timing, and how it works as bookend rrgions of then and now side to side.

I agree actually could pose a problem what with the sequels. Unless they just redid Black and White but tried to incorporate elements of the sequels in? So in the post game, Team Plasma splinters into 2, and the bad side let by Ghetsis go after Kyurem, N comes back gets his dragon absorbed etc. You'd probably have to cut out stuff like Roxie and Marlon, and Hugh though.

Because then you're answering a point that I'm not trying to make. My point wasn't simply "we don't need these games." It was "we don't need these games for these specific reasons." Those aren't the same thing.

We may as well have seen Mega Kanto already with Origins. And beyond that, this is another thing I was saying - Oooo, the same game as before, but Blue now uses a Mega Starter in GLORIOUS THREE DIMENSIONS. Shawoop. This was sure worth those $40. In what way would it really be nice to see Mega Kanto when all Mega Kanto is is FRLG in 3D with Blue and Giovanni using Megas and probably still being easier to beat than in FRLG because Game Freak is worried that we'll be deprived of Candy Crush for too long if they actually up the difficulty? Hell I wouldn't put it past them to drop the Sevii Islands in these hypothetical remakes as well. Most well-received feature of a Gen III game being left out of the remakes for nebulous reasons? We know there's a precedent. So then we'd just be getting straight up barren Kanto.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that Origins was already better than any reremake they could give us...

@Zeb;And perhaps I read your comment wrong but it sounded to me like you were saying Nintendo needed your approval "I will support them if..."

I meant support them as an idea, as something I could get behind. I should have worded it better if it was misleading, it's probably the way I speak. I don't/didn't mean support Nintendo financially/needing my approval. If you see my original post in reply to you, I said I'd like a timeskip if we do have to go back; it's just the idea of straight up remake of R/B/FR/LG (or whatever) I don't/can't support, when I think they could do something a bit more interesting than another remake. We had straight-up Gen I remakes before, we don't really need them again but this time with Megas imo. A sequel of kinds would be better.

And it is kind of a boycott if your into Pokemon, buy all the Pokemon games, then don't buy one because of a decision that Nintendo have made.
Like I said, my own boycott of ORAS failed as I've been a fan too long and there was just enough new stuff to rope me in. I believe the same will happen to you, they won't just copy/paste Gen 1 after all.

Nah, it happened with Assassin's Creed with me too. It's not me boycotting, it's just me losing interest in the series/not having interest in a game. Of course I wouldn't lose interest in the Pokemon franchise completely just because of one pure Kanto remake - there's still exciting things like new generations/new Pokemon to look forward to with Pokemon.

Because it's for an anniversary (or we're all thinking it would be), it doesn't have to strictly be all Gen I Kanto, it could be a combination/celebration of older faces from throughout the series within a new Kanto (where it all began) with a new story and also new characters on top of the old ones. That way it appeals to oldies in terms of both nostalgia and new, and still sells with kids because it's a brand new game for them to sink their teeth into regardless.

Best I can explain is think B2W2 compared to BW (even if you don't like Gen V). It was still Unova and some places were the same/recognisable but there was a lot different and new at the same time. They could just do similar and I'd be fine with it. Of course other people might want a straight-up, faithful, true-to-its-roots Gen I remake, but that's where individual tastes come into conflict and I can't agree with them on that - which has been my point throughout all this.

@Zeb; I dont even wanna get into the logistics needed to justify springing up a new region alongside the current one in a pair of games. Kanto and Kalos work due to the timing, and how it works as bookend rrgions of then and now side to side.

I wasn't meaning to have on game be the current region and one be a new region. I was just meaning we don't really know where they are wanting to go because we have the hanging threads of the Souvenir, combined with the anniversary (lots of Kanto predictions) and also Zygarde (so Kalos). And I don't really know which they are going for next, if they will pair Kanto with Kalos for two games, go straight for this Souvenir, maybe none of these, etc.

Last edited:
I meant support them as an idea, as something I could get behind. I should have worded it better if it was misleading, it's probably the way I speak. I don't/didn't mean support Nintendo financially/needing my approval. If you see my original post in reply to you, I said I'd like a timeskip if we do have to go back; it's just the idea of straight up remake of R/B/FR/LG (or whatever) I don't/can't support, when I think they could do something a bit more interesting than another remake. We had straight-up Gen I remakes before, we don't really need them again but this time with Megas imo. A sequel of kinds would be better.

Nah, it happened with Assassin's Creed with me too. It's not me boycotting, it's just me losing interest in the series/not having interest in a game. Of course I wouldn't lose interest in the Pokemon franchise completely just because of one pure Kanto remake - there's still exciting things like new generations/new Pokemon to look forward to with Pokemon.

Because it's for an anniversary (or we're all thinking it would be), it doesn't have to strictly be all Gen I Kanto, it could be a combination/celebration of older faces from throughout the series within a new Kanto (where it all began) with a new story and also new characters on top of the old ones. That way it appeals to oldies in terms of both nostalgia and new, and still sells with kids because it's a brand new game for them to sink their teeth into regardless.

Best I can explain is think B2W2 compared to BW (even if you don't like Gen V). It was still Unova and some places were the same/recognisable but there was a lot different and new at the same time. They could just do similar and I'd be fine with it. Of course other people might want a straight-up, faithful, true-to-its-roots Gen I remake, but that's where individual tastes come into conflict and I can't agree with them on that - which has been my point throughout all this.

@Zeb; I dont even wanna get into the logistics needed to justify springing up a new region alongside the current one in a pair of games. Kanto and Kalos work due to the timing, and how it works as bookend rrgions of then and now side to side.

I wasn't meaning to have on game be the current region and one be a new region. I was just meaning we don't really know where they are wanting to go because we have the hanging threads of the Souvenir, combined with the anniversary (lots of Kanto predictions) and also Zygarde (so Kalos).

I'll be the broken record and say that sequels like that wouldn't satisfy the timeline. How about this though:

For Red to reach Mt. Silver, like Ethan, he probably has to get Johto badges as well, as by Oak's permission. What if there's a Yellow remake where you play as Red/Leaf, but additionally, you visit a young Johto, and have access to the Sevii Islands? Would that be a good enough change? We always see Johto three years after Kanto but what did Johto look like at that time? What kind of unique challenges could Red have faced as he himself journeyed through Johto?

Would that provide a good plot to build a sequel to it/remake to HGSS with direct references to the Johto adventures of this hypothetical game, much how BW2 was piled with BW references and callbacks?

This idea of mine stems directly from the anime. Ash traveled the reverse order of what's possible in the Johto games, the Sevii Islands, for all practical purposes, replaces the Orange Islands in the game universe. Could we have a Yellow remake (a remake of a game more or less BASED off the anime) where we travel like this: Kanto -> Sevii Islands -> Johto?

I've come to the realization that the starters from only Gens 1 and 3 have gotten Megas. I don't know 'bout you folks, but I wonder if they're gonna start dishing out Megas for the rest of the starters within the next two or three sets/installments of games or what-have-you. I'm kinda wanting a Mega-Empoleon and a Mega-Typhlosion, to be honest here. Not saying it's gonna happen, but it would be kinda nice...

I've come to the realization that the starters from only Gens 1 and 3 have gotten Megas. I don't know 'bout you folks, but I wonder if they're gonna start dishing out Megas for the rest of the starters within the next two or three sets/installments of games or what-have-you. I'm kinda wanting a Mega-Empoleon and a Mega-Typhlosion, to be honest here. Not saying it's gonna happen, but it would be kinda nice...

We got Kanto Megas + Blaziken in Kalos... The rest of Hoenn Megas in Hoenn, how about Johto Megas in my hypothetical Kanto/Sevii/Johto mash-up Yellow?! :D

I would rather gouge my eyes out then play through a Pre-Gen 2 Johto. Right now it is the only region that apparently was underdeveloped at the time of other games, even without a league apparently. I would much rather to see Kanto sequels start a sequence of world building sequels, which greatly expand on older regions, or at least just for Kanto and Johto.Remakes are pointless, and the timeline is a poor reason.

Because it's been kinda suckish thus far thanks to their regressive game-making philosophies and so better to put it out of its misery and move onto something new?

As I understand it, it's because they kinda have to end it either this year or the next. It won't be long before their next big console, the NX thingy, rolls out, and they probably don't want to wait until they're two years into its lifespan to have a new Pokémon game lined up for it. Whatever the current enhanced 3DS model is called won't hold peoples' attention for very long. We're probably not going to still be getting Gen VI games in 2017, and it's looking less and less likely that we'll be getting one in 2015, so that leaves 2016 as the best time to do it.

Moving onto next gen isn't going to fix philosophy problems, they're not going to suddenly decide that new hardware requires them to be any less minimalist. It might even encourage it even more if Nintendo manages to be successful on smartphones. Game Freak is only going to change direction if they look at the sales and reception and see that casual focused games aren't doing them any good.

No, we don't *need* those games. Again because for one, they'd be essentially the same but with a handful of Trainers who use Megas, but for two, and more importantly, the storyline means absolutely nothing in terms of their business model. They're not going to pour all of their resources into remakes *just* so that you can battle Cynthia with a Mega Garchomp. If there are to be Sinnoh remakes, then it will be because they have determined that the demand is sufficient enough to warrant their creation and the costs that it would take to produce them. It won't be because the storyline twitched and changed its setting. Fantasy doesn't dictate reality here; reality does.

ORAS weren't made because they felt a slavish, overwhelming compulsion to show us what Hoenn would like in the "Mega Universe." ORAS were made because there was a long-time demand for Hoenn remakes, which they eventually decided would =$$$$$$$$, and because they needed to salvage what they could from the 3DS after it and the Wii U weren't selling all that well.

Well 1st gen is always popular, so there's probably always going to be a demand for Kanto.

We may as well have seen Mega Kanto already with Origins. And beyond that, this is another thing I was saying - Oooo, the same game as before, but Blue now uses a Mega Starter in GLORIOUS THREE DIMENSIONS. Shawoop. This was sure worth those $40. In what way would it really be nice to see Mega Kanto when all Mega Kanto is is FRLG in 3D with Blue and Giovanni using Megas and probably still being easier to beat than in FRLG because Game Freak is worried that we'll be deprived of Candy Crush for too long if they actually up the difficulty? Hell I wouldn't put it past them to drop the Sevii Islands in these hypothetical remakes as well. Most well-received feature of a Gen III game being left out of the remakes for nebulous reasons? We know there's a precedent. So then we'd just be getting straight up barren Kanto.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that Origins was already better than any reremake they could give us...

I think you're underestimating them a bit. ORAS wasn't the same game as RSE, it just didn't have as much content as we'd hoped. There were a fair number of changes in the game, and I think in Kanto they can change enough to make things interesting. The plot would likely be greatly expanded, there'd be new side features, some of the areas would probably be significantly changed, and the Kanto Dex will probably get some sort of expansion (probably with a lot of cross gen evos, but not a lot of anything else). It wouldn't be ideal, but I'd be satisfied with that.

I would rather gouge my eyes out then play through a Pre-Gen 2 Johto. Right now it is the only region that apparently was underdeveloped at the time of other games, even without a league apparently. I would much rather to see Kanto sequels start a sequence of world building sequels, which greatly expand on older regions, or at least just for Kanto and Johto.Remakes are pointless, and the timeline is a poor reason.

Johto could use a sequel itself for this very reason (as a sequel could allow Johto to develop separately from Kanto and flesh the region out more), but I don't expect something like this for a long time if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom