• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP22: Beyond the Rainbow!

I thought this episode was okay. It definitely could have been better, but I was fine with it overall.

Okay, when Ash called out Fletchinder and Frogadier to battle in the beginning, I expected to see something other than Fletchinder being blasted out of the sky by a damn Pin Missile. Seriously, that was really disappointing. I did like when Clemont and Serena took over to battle the random bug-types, but I wish we could have seen more of that. At least we got to see Serena with Clemont and Ash with Bonnie for a while. So, typical of TR, they betrayed Florges and stole the Pokemon. Boring. I guess just having Florges herself as the main villain throughout this whole thing wasn't good enough:/ Seriously, I would have found it much more entertaining just to have Florges acting out on her own without it just being TR plotting to steal the group's Pokemon again. And geez, I guess if it wasn’t enough for them to use Florges, they also need to diss her as well. I did like how Bonnie gave Clemont props for figuring out TR was responsible for the problem.

I love how Florges just called over her Yanmega to fly her to TR's ship like a queen. And damn! Goodra Dragon Pulsing his way in the air was bad-ass! I was glad Ash commanded Goodra to use Ice Beam on TR; I would have been pissed if he learned a new move out of nowhere and only used it once. Ok, I get that Serena adores Ash and whatnot, but could she have at least also mentioned saving Goodra and Florges when the ship exploded. Eh, whatever. TR blasts off, Goodra saves the day with Rain Dance, and Floette is healed. Yay!

And now for the feels. I thought it was really sweet that not only did Goodra embrace Ash in a hug as they both cried, but that Serena, Bonnie, and Dedenne cried as well. I'm especially glad that Dedenne gave Goodra a hug goodbye and cried for a while. However, despite that, I still feel that Goodra's release was pretty pointless. I mean, I guess its nice that Ash considered Goodra's happiness and his relationship with his friends before his own feelings. And clearly Goodra is happy remaining with his friends rather than staying with Ash since he did decide to stay. But still, it just feels like he didn't have to stay behind. Ugh...I dunno. I'm just really sad that he went through all of this just to leave. And in such a short time period. Maybe if he had been around longer I wouldn't be as upset with it. If anything, I hope they reference him later on in the future (I'd rather he return at some point, but I'm doubtful). The worst thing that could ever happen would be for him to be caught, stay for 15 episodes, and then be released with no mention ever again.

Well, now that that's done. Overall, it was a nice episode. I definitely preferred the previous part, but this was okay. I'll say 7/10.

I think this episode is a good example of the reason Team Rocket bug me - and aside from the trainwreck that is the dialogue that is written for them, seriously "Liar, liar, Pokemon pants on fire"? Why? There's a fairly good plot here - stealing what is revitalising water, which you could probably bottle and sell, makes a lot of sense. Using a feud with the Pokemon you could have totally ignored in order to attempt to capture Pikachu, totally pointless. Team Rocket frequently failing achievable plans because they divert their attention to Pikachu is what makes me so annoyed by the attempts on Pikachu they do. Either have a Pikachu capture plan, or have a 'steal all the water' plan - don't make trying to do both be being successful at neither. Sure, occasionally they don't target Pikachu - so you can't say they "always" do it - but episodes like this demonstrate their basic problem. I still think they need to be given a few chances to have a degree of success - actually getting away with something occasionally, so they can even vaguely look like a real threat in some episodes, so Team Rocket's failure isn't telegraphed from the moment they step on screen.

Anyway - I like the way Goodra's release was handled, I don't like that Goodra was released as I like seeing Ash using Pokemon that can't use his normal tactics of speed and dodging, but the process of releasing Goodra showed a very mature side of Ash that is really good to see. It's not the first time he's made tough calls like this in releasing Pokemon, but the manner in which he came to the realisation of returning Goodra to its environment was handled really well. There's no reason this episode couldn't have been after the league though.

Serena's worrying about Ash seemed a little bit overplayed, given how many other dangerous situations she's seen Ash in already without similar worry. I like those kind of scenes - even without the shipping angle it makes them all seem a bit more human - but I'd also rather they were slightly more consistent about how strong they want to play that element of Serena's character from episode to episode. Not a huge complaint though, I still think it's a positive thing overall.

This was a pretty good episode. From a pretty decent Team Rocket ship, to them showing color differences in the "Who's That Pokemon" skit.

Except Goodra leaving. That sucked.

It was an okay episode. I'm still mad they made Ash lose Goodra though.

Why did Team Rocket even steal Wooper though? They aren't exactly rare

I generally liked the episode. Goodra really had grown on me, it definitely was my favorite member on Ash's team, but unfortunately it's gone :( I feel like it's a Gliscor type thing and it'll return for the league. The wetland Pokes will learn to defend themselves allowing Goodra to return to Ash or something like that.

It's so sad, it's almost as if Goodra was created just so Ash could defeat Clemont (3/5 pokes weak to electric, great team building ash lol)

Random notes: I think Michele Knotz did a great job with some of her lines, I LOLd when she basically told off Florges. Speaking of Florges, god I really like that poke, wish it could be around more. Her whole attitude and presence is great. Love how she has that one Yanmega seemingly on constant standby.

For the scene when they tried to stop Team Rocket, when Goodra tossed Ash that was reckless af but I mean I expected that. Florges rode her Yanmega up like the classy poke she is. And then Goodra.. wtf?!? Like is that even possible by the laws of physics. But I digress.. That was a very weird part of the episode for me.

Another random annoying note: ahh the fleeting amourshipping moment when Serena ran up to Ash <3

Overall, the episode was satisfying enough, it was sad for Goodra to go, but weirdly not sad enough for me. Or maybe I'm just heartless, meh. I'm more upset they got rid of one of the best cast members just for Ash to be going to his 6th gym with only 4 pokes and having his team unbalanced affff. Also for the final shot, it could be interpreted I guess as Ash's maturity and learning that it's ok to let go and for the best, but like he looked too god-damn happy. I guess it would've gotten to me more if we got a still of Ash running away with the famous bowed head and tears trickling down his face and the other members of the cast run after him with concerned expression.

rating 7/10 (am I being too generous?)

also question: in the dub was there a final shot left out of ash and goodra? I just don't remember seeing it :/

I'd call it a good episode with lots of action and drama alike. Good job!

Nevertheless I'd like to mention a few things that could have been handled a bit differently:

During the episode all of the people and Pokemon involved seem to have forgotten that it was indeed Florges that took over that spring in a pretty ruthless and brute way. Up to that point TRio hadn't been involved yet, and during the episode they quickly turned into the only culprits. Sure, they were the ones who were mainly responsible for why it all escalated by betraying Florges and causing all that trouble. But still, let us not forget that it was Florges and her gang that started all of this in the first place (setting the wetlands on fire, driving the Pokemon out of their home etc.) What I want to say is that I was surprised at how quickly Goodra was able to forgive Florges and make up with her. Should have been a bit more complex here if you ask me.

Also, I don't quite get why Ash really had to release Goodra in the end. I mean there were Seviper, Pinsir, Yanmega and last but not least an obviously very powerful Florges as their leader and now the writers want the audience to believe that all those strong Pokemon can't protect the wetlands without Goodra's help? No, that doesn't feel right... I'm not angry about Goodra's release because liked him so much, it's just because, considering there's a league coming up soon, I think Goodra's plot was a "waste of time". If Ash actually plans on winning a league for a change, he has to focus on building a permanent, and above all, strong team that he trains constantly. Really, I simply haven't seen much progress in the development of Ash and his team as of now and if he is really serious about becoming a Pokemon Master some day, he should stop releasing his Pokemon and concentrate on training. His Sinnoh team was great and so promising but since then, it seems to me that Ash has somehow lost his goal. What do you think?

OK, although the end of the episode was rather disappointing because it means that Ash loses a powerhouse on his team and basically has to start all over again, I think that it was also very touching when they all cried. I still expected Goodra to decide to come with Ash but...well.

Also for the final shot, it could be interpreted I guess as Ash's maturity and learning that it's ok to let go and for the best, but like he looked too god-damn happy. I guess it would've gotten to me more if we got a still of Ash running away with the famous bowed head and tears trickling down his face and the other members of the cast run after him with concerned expression.
Bye1_zps4nevu8ek.png
Bye2_zps5biznib5.png
Bye3_zpsjgccvpmu.png
Bye4_zpsctkggmpj.png

also question: in the dub was there a final shot left out of ash and goodra? I just don't remember seeing it :/
Is it the one where Ash is smiling with his eyes closed and Goodra's smiling at him, which came after Ash running off and a rainbow scenery shot? If it is, it's there.

Last edited:
Also for the final shot, it could be interpreted I guess as Ash's maturity and learning that it's ok to let go and for the best, but like he looked too god-damn happy. I guess it would've gotten to me more if we got a still of Ash running away with the famous bowed head and tears trickling down his face and the other members of the cast run after him with concerned expression.

That's happened twice, and they were both from the original series. Every other time a main character has released a Pokemon mid-journey they've done so knowing it was for the best (well, unless you count Dawn releasing Pachirisu but that was quickly remedied).

Besides, Ash was literally sobbing during his hug with Goodra. That's a lot more emotional than he's gotten with other Pokemon upon their release.

@ Kthleen and @WatcherMark Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I've always remembered it differently haha, those endings must've just been the most memorable to me.

@ Kthleen and @WatcherMark Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I've always remembered it differently haha, those endings must've just been the most memorable to me.

Maybe you're also remembering when James gave Cacnea to Gardenia, that was a similar kind of ending.

To be honest, I really liked Ash's story with Goodra. Even though a lot of people hate the fact had fully evolved psuedo-legend left after only a few episodes and was only on the show for a few months overall, I like how it showed Ash's skill as a trainer in helping to raise Goomy up and his maturity in knowing when to let it go.

A lot worse than the first part and it just HAD to be Team Rocket. Couldn't it have just been Florges is a massive jack ass and Goodra's there to make sure it doesn't take over in the future? TR admitting they did it to even the Florges is why they ailed why didn't they just sneak off with water and leave Ash and go to deal with a bunch of angry Pokemon?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom