• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were Origin Giratina and Black/White Kyurem shown in silhouette before their reveal? 'Cause Megatwo Y (definitely promoted as a new Pokémon) wasn't, it was shown in full color.

The Kyurem formes were leaked on a poster and then a few hours later revealed by Masuda on Pokemon Sunday (or whatever name it went by back then, it's changed a few times). They haven't done proper silhouettes since pre-release BW iirc. And this silhouette is different to those because they were just black on some card, this is an actual trailer and we can (somewhat) see features thanks to the dramatic lighting ooooo.

But we have seen silhouettes before with Zorua, Zoroark, Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott. Actual new Pokémon.

For someone who was arguing that Game Freak will be unpredictable a few days ago, you sure are focusing on previous patterns an awful lot. Just because the last time they showed a silhouette was "new" Pokemon (although I recall Tornadus-Therian was shown as one in an early image of the Dream Radar add-on and people were arguing if it was Archeops or something new) doesn't mean they can't do it now.

(Also let's point out it says "Is this a new Pokemon?" and iirc if they ever question it like that then that's because it isn't.)

-------------

I think anyone expecting this to be a new Pokemon are going to be disappointed. Sure it's fun to speculate, but the... thing shares too many similarities with Zygarde imo.

I can list five things it shares that are too coincidental atm imo tbh btw wtf.

1) Has a collar around the head area like Zygarde, looks to be similar in shape AND there's the same number (we can clearly see four, with where the fifth is being obscured due to black on black)
2) The giant wing things have the same shape on their tips as Zygarde's collar
3) Has very pale (to the point its almost white) green areas lit up, like Zygarde has. They are also the same hexagon shape (excluding the eyes, which I've commented on in previous posts)
4) Its head area moving into its body area has the same torso before it drops back and slims into the monster's "waist", Zygarde also has a round "body" before the slim snake part drops back and begins
5) Has the glowing split and two eyes on its head, like Zygarde. Sure, slightly different shape, but lots of other things have clearly changed about it too so I don't see the eye-shape being the big game-changer

And I mean these similarities all are backed up by the fact we know Zygarde is missing its true form currently. The Pokedex references its hidden power and there's also the hidden moves and lower BST to take into account.

To whoever was saying that Zygarde's eyes are a different shape to this thing (hexagon versus... pointy... oval(? lmao)) - one, look at the type of image this is, they aren't going to draw small things to the exact detail. And two, they aren't the same shape as the Strange Souvenir either. Honestly the people saying the head looks like the Strange Souvenir's are confusing as hell to me because I can't see shit for details on the head other than it has three glowing lights on it. And considering if now has wings and arms, is it really unbelievable Zygarde's eyes would change too?

The people saying its Kyurem are focusing solely on it having glowing eyes and a split, rather than the fact that other features share distinct style with Zygarde (random, very pale green glowing lights, collar on head, same sharp points etc). Arms, wings, etc don't look very similar to any of the Kyurem forms, it's just this split in the head that's luring people in.

And trust me, I would very much prefer this not to be Zygarde like I said, it looks like a bad Power Rangers villain so don't think I'm going along with this just because Zygarde should be next in line. If there was more evidence to the contrary I would happily accept it. However if turns out I'm wrong I'll happily eat crow.

Sorry kinda waffling a bit here, but just getting my thoughts down.

No need to be sorry. The thing is riddled with various hexagons, and people still think its kyurem? In an X/Y movie? I'm baffled. Guys, its fairly obvious that this is Zygarde in some respect. The wing tips ate hexagonal, the hands have hexagons, there's hexagonal head extensions. The only pokemon more hexagon-involved than this is bronzor.

Mega bronzor confirmed, though, right?

Edit: btw, that kyurem head-diamond that everyone's obsessing over is significantly more elongated, being positively daggerlike in the formes. But you know, shapes.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/d/d2/Dream_Strange_Souvenir_Sprite.png
Btw, look at the strange souvenir itself again (yes I know the image is small). No head spikes, no forehead split, huge, prominent nostrils. It's a nice vague thing, open to a lot of possibilities as its actual pokemon is revealed, but its not just anything, and its certainly not the pokemon being teased to us now. The SS has a flat-topped round head with no prominent forehead features short of the pukao-looking hat thing.

Last edited:
maybe Zygarde will be dragon/poison? or why to hide it in the first place? then what's really controling Hoopa in the movie?

maybe Zygarde will be dragon/poison? or why to hide it in the first place? then what's really controling Hoopa in the movie?

The implication from some other movie related media seems to be that the mysterious presence controlling hoopa is another hoopa in unbound forme.

On the other hand, I'd straight-up LOVE to see a poison type legendary.

On the third hand (wait eew), I think people are also getting carried away with the "hidden" nature of our zygarde-y friend here. It's not actually just a silhouette, its just a sirt-of bad quality screenshot of a moment when the pokemon is in shadow/obscured by weather. I don't think they're hiding it, this is just the first vague look at a new forme. Keep in mind that so far we're just looking at an image of a leaked page of a magazine. Who knows? Maybe as we get into august, more will be revealed officially!

@Zeb

Opinions are opinions, but don't you think you're jumping the gun just a tad bit for right now? If this is Zygarde, we still clearly can't see its full design right now. So I think to be saying its design is crappy before we even get the full picture is kind of ridiculous. I'm sorry, but one of my greatest pet peeves when it comes to fandoms(or anything else, really) is when people do "pre-judging".

@ZebOpinions are opinions, but don't you think you're jumping the gun just a tad bit for right now? If this is Zygarde, we still clearly can't see its full design right now. So I think to be saying its design is crappy before we even get the full picture is kind of ridiculous. I'm sorry, but one of my greatest pet peeves when it comes to fandoms(or anything else, really) is when people do "pre-judging".

When you consider that I acknowledged in my post to you that I'm willing to wait until the full thing is revealed before giving my full opinion, I have no idea why you're telling me this other than to try and take on some sort of holier-than-thou attitude.

And is it really pre-judging? It's not a brand new Pokemon. I'm giving my opinion based on what I can see from Zygarde to this. It's not like we don't have something existing related to it - we have Zygarde. And I don't like what I see because I wanted it to remain snake-like and not gain arms and wings. Am I not allowed to express my dislike of what I can see based in relation to what we have and what I didn't want?

Edit: I mean, I don't think I'm even being overbearingly negative (until probably this post lmao). Yeah I don't like the body shape, but I've only made a comment about a Power Rangers villain here and there and then the only other time I said something was in reply to you saying this design is a step in the "right direction". Which was nothing but your personal opinion that you presented as a fact, which I didn't agree with. Aren't you pre-judging it by saying it's a step in the right direction anyway? As you said to me, we can't see the "full picture", so surely that's you pre-judging to say it's the right direction? Or is the problem here that my "pre-judging" isn't the same as your pre-judging and therefore annoys you?

Last edited:
I said this in another thread, but with how the XY movies feature Diancie/Mega Diancie and Hoopa/Unbound, the third is likely Volcanion and whatever form it has. The shadow from the image does show similarities to Zygarde in appearance, but nothing's confirmed of yet when all we got is just a blurred silhouette of a pokemon.

There's no GF/Nintendo rule saying that each generation must start with a new region - in other words, a new region can appear within the current generation and they just didn't do that up till now. That doesn't mean they can't do it in the present. The Strange Souvenir indicates that we'll know about a new place soon enough, and GF said they want to surprise us. I'm betting a brand new region in Gen 6 where the Strange Souvenir can be used. Volcanion is available and you get access to Zygarde's two hidden moves.

Does anyone know if these teasers have been uploaded to the Pokemon site (Japanese, presumably) or Youtube previous years? Officially speaking, of course, not some in-cinema amateur footage complete with people going to the bathroom. I can't really remember as I don't remember paying as much attention to them before as I am now (not an anime fan, truth be told). I'm just wondering if we'll get a clear view of the teaser soon.

Does anyone know if these teasers have been uploaded to the Pokemon site (Japanese, presumably) or Youtube previous years? Officially speaking, of course, not some in-cinema amateur footage complete with people going to the bathroom. I can't really remember as I don't remember paying as much attention to them before as I am now (not an anime fan, truth be told). I'm just wondering if we'll get a clear view of the teaser soon.

I wanna say the teasers usually do get uploaded officially, but at this point I think we'll have to wait. The movie doesn't actually come out until Saturday, so if they do release the teaser it won't likely come until after that.

To be honest, the very fact they teased an appearance of a 'new Pokemon' in CoroCoro should mean we should be getting something sooner or later, though it may not necessarily be the teaser trailer.

Whether it's Zygarde, Volcanion or the Strange Souvenir Pokémon, it still looks cool. The arms and wings with the possibility of a snake-like body seriously reminds me of Diabound from Yu-Gi-Oh and if it's anything like that, it would be so epic and badass.

I love how no one's suggested it could possibly be AZ's Floette going mad with the power from the Ultimate Weapon and morphing into some zombie-hybrid of the Mortality Trio and itself. But let's be honest, Floette is most likely getting an anime arc with AZ due to Lysandre's prominence in the Mega Evolution arc.

@ZebOpinions are opinions, but don't you think you're jumping the gun just a tad bit for right now? If this is Zygarde, we still clearly can't see its full design right now. So I think to be saying its design is crappy before we even get the full picture is kind of ridiculous. I'm sorry, but one of my greatest pet peeves when it comes to fandoms(or anything else, really) is when people do "pre-judging".

When you consider that I acknowledged in my post to you that I'm willing to wait until the full thing is revealed before giving my full opinion, I have no idea why you're telling me this other than to try and take on some sort of holier-than-thou attitude.

And is it really pre-judging? It's not a brand new Pokemon. I'm giving my opinion based on what I can see from Zygarde to this. It's not like we don't have something existing related to it - we have Zygarde. And I don't like what I see because I wanted it to remain snake-like and not gain arms and wings. Am I not allowed to express my dislike of what I can see based in relation to what we have and what I didn't want?

Edit: I mean, I don't think I'm even being overbearingly negative (until probably this post lmao). Yeah I don't like the body shape, but I've only made a comment about a Power Rangers villain here and there and then the only other time I said something was in reply to you saying this design is a step in the "right direction". Which was nothing but your personal opinion that you presented as a fact, which I didn't agree with. Aren't you pre-judging it by saying it's a step in the right direction anyway? As you said to me, we can't see the "full picture", so surely that's you pre-judging to say it's the right direction? Or is the problem here that my "pre-judging" isn't the same as your pre-judging and therefore annoys you?

Whoa... chill.

Whoa... chill.

You know I actually wasn't worked up or annoyed in my post, right? But what does annoy me is when people play the classic "WOW!! Look at how annoyed you are!!" card when I wasn't even worked up or annoyed, like you're doing here.

I'm sure you've seen enough of my posts to know that I tl;dr everything because I have trouble being concise 99% of the time and over-explain everything. And if I was annoyed I would be swearing.

So I'm still thinking prequels for the next games in Kalos. Nothing about this new Zygarde forme indicates that to me, I just wanted to say it. I seriously want to know if someone can find that NPC I'm remembering. I think it was a guy? Says that there was another team trying to use the mortality pokemon for their purposes? I don't play my Y as much anymore, and I can't find evidence of that NPC online, but again, maybe I'm not using the right search terms.

So I'm still thinking prequels for the next games in Kalos. Nothing about this new Zygarde forme indicates that to me, I just wanted to say it. I seriously want to know if someone can find that NPC I'm remembering. I think it was a guy? Says that there was another team trying to use the mortality pokemon for their purposes? I don't play my Y as much anymore, and I can't find evidence of that NPC online, but again, maybe I'm not using the right search terms.

I've tried to find it myself, I'm wondering if it's because people aren't talking about it online so much as anything else. I think that would be a nice twist though, and maybe you have past-Lysandre who even participates in the main plot like a friend/rival/whatever? Throughout the plot, you see how he aspires to help people, but then you kinda start to see little hints toward the end that leads to his going downhill.

I've tried to find it myself, I'm wondering if it's because people aren't talking about it online so much as anything else. I think that would be a nice twist though, and maybe you have past-Lysandre who even participates in the main plot like a friend/rival/whatever? Throughout the plot, you see how he aspires to help people, but then you kinda start to see little hints toward the end that leads to his going downhill.

It's an NPC in Anistar City. I think it's one of the old ladies, and it's definitely in one of the houses by the Pokémon Center. They directly state in both versions that a few years back, another organization was asking around about Xerneas(x)/Yveltal(y). We also know from Hoopa's event that there was a Kalos-based team (due to Hoopa being native to Kalos) that was transported to the middle of the desert by it. Most likely Route 111 in Hoenn (since Mirage Island seems to be Hoopa's hideout), which is how the Prison Bottle got there, or in Orre where the remnants became Cipher. Orre is also closely tied to Hoenn as mentioned in its games, so the Prison Bottle could have made its way to Slateport from Orre somehow.

But considering both the Hoenn games and the first of the Orre games take place at the beginning of the timeline, then this prequel would have to be set about 10 years before X and Y if indeed Hoopa's team is the pre-Flare team.

This is all so confusing.

It's an NPC in Anistar City. I think it's one of the old ladies, and it's definitely in one of the houses by the Pokémon Center. They directly state in both versions that a few years back, another organization was asking around about Xerneas(x)/Yveltal(y). We also know from Hoopa's event that there was a Kalos-based team (due to Hoopa being native to Kalos) that was transported to the middle of the desert by it. Most likely Route 111 in Hoenn (since Mirage Island seems to be Hoopa's hideout), which is how the Prison Bottle got there, or in Orre where the remnants became Cipher. Orre is also closely tied to Hoenn as mentioned in its games, so the Prison Bottle could have made its way to Slateport from Orre somehow.

But considering both the Hoenn games and the first of the Orre games take place at the beginning of the timeline, then this prequel would have to be set about 10 years before X and Y if indeed Hoopa's team is the pre-Flare team.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I FOUND HER! She's in the same house as the plot-relevant guy who tells you the legends of the Mortality duo, and she says-
A few years back, a different group of people came around here, asking the same questions.

So not only is she in Anistar, one of the most mysterious towns, that people are already theorizing might be connected to Z, but Gamefreak put her in a house that everyone that played through the story had to visit. It's like they left her directly in our path as a clue! Ad what's just south of Anistar City? TERMINUS CAVE. GODDAMN I feel like we just busted this wide open, thank you both for helping track her down!

I'm not totally sold on Cipher being Hoopa's team, but perhaps the theory about the route 111 desert has some merit, consider Emerald's Mirage Tower. "Mirage" stuff sure does keep looking like it's being retconned to be about Hoopa (or maybe planned, we don't know how detailed GF's advance planning is).

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I FOUND HER! She's in the same house as the plot-relevant guy who tells you the legends of the Mortality duo, and she says-
A few years back, a different group of people came around here, asking the same questions.

So not only is she in Anistar, one of the most mysterious towns, that people are already theorizing might be connected to Z, but Gamefreak put her in a house that everyone that played through the story had to visit. It's like they left her directly in our path as a clue! Ad what's just south of Anistar City? TERMINUS CAVE. GODDAMN I feel like we just busted this wide open, thank you both for helping track her down!

I'm not totally sold on Cipher being Hoopa's team, but perhaps the theory about the route 111 desert has some merit, consider Emerald's Mirage Tower. "Mirage" stuff sure does keep looking like it's being retconned to be about Hoopa (or maybe planned, we don't know how detailed GF's advance planning is).

Hmm...I suppose that with that line alone, a prequel is definitely possible. But you also have to consider that if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel, then in context of the storyline, there would probably be a lot more mentions of prior major events in Kalos. Both Johto and B2W2 NPC's alluded to their respective prequels countless times. It just seems to me that a lot more NPC's would mention some previous catastrophe that occurred in Kalos few years prior if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel.

Also, the group that the NPC mentions could have been a reference to Team Flare while they were still developing their plans few years prior to XY. For all we know, the NPC's mention was never meant to be taken as a hint and we could be connecting the wrong dots.

But if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel, it would fit nicely in the storyline. Considering that XY takes place at the same time as B2W2 in the Megaverse, a prequel to XY can take place at the same time as BW. So it would go as: Kanto/Hoenn --> Johto/Sinnoh --> BW/XZYZ --> B2W2/XY. Now all we need is for Generation VII's timeline to take place a few years before Kanto/Hoenn (the same amount of years that BW succeeds Johto/Sinnoh). Then the Pokemon timeline would be perfectly symmetrical. (Lol sorry I'm just OCD about these things).

Hmm...I suppose that with that line alone, a prequel is definitely possible. But you also have to consider that if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel, then in context of the storyline, there would probably be a lot more mentions of prior major events in Kalos. Both Johto and B2W2 NPC's alluded to their respective prequels countless times. It just seems to me that a lot more NPC's would mention some previous catastrophe that occurred in Kalos few years prior if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel.

Also, the group that the NPC mentions could have been a reference to Team Flare while they were still developing their plans few years prior to XY. For all we know, the NPC's mention was never meant to be taken as a hint and we could be connecting the wrong dots.

The other examples you give are from much more linear storytelling. In a sequel, you can talk about the plotline of the preceding installment freely, because you're assuming that everyone involved is at least nominally familiar with the story. After all, it's been available. With a true prequel though, the original work deals with plot points of its prequel more sparsely, for two reasons- one, it avoids confusing the reader (see- "wait, who's this character everyone's talking about? Am I supposed to know them? Was there an earlier installment I missed?). Two, it allows the plotline of the prequel to feel fresh when it's made, rather than a rehash of details already divulged.

Moreover, the plot might not be necessarily catastrophic. Maybe only a few people are real witnesses of it. Not every pokemon game has a plotline that tears a town to pieces like XY did. Maybe "Z" will have a quieter, more story focused plot, rather than shock-and-awe.

As to the bottom point here, the NPC clearly says "a different group of people."

But if Z/XZYZ is indeed a prequel, it would fit nicely in the storyline. Considering that XY takes place at the same time as B2W2 in the Megaverse, a prequel to XY can take place at the same time as BW. So it would go as: Kanto/Hoenn --> Johto/Sinnoh --> BW/XZYZ --> B2W2/XY. Now all we need is for Generation VII's timeline to take place a few years before Kanto/Hoenn (the same amount of years that BW succeeds Johto/Sinnoh). Then the Pokemon timeline would be perfectly symmetrical. (Lol sorry I'm just OCD about these things).

Oooh, agreed. Especially if gen VII runs a Mew/Mewtwo origins plot or subplot as part of its run! I'd LOVE to see that kind of symmetry!

fdfdfc8521934b50dbfdd06daefca75d-d919b56.png

From here: Colossus of Order by Deltheor on DeviantArt

----

While I'm here I'll mention that I saw Serebii Joe reminding that Victini was revealed two weeks after it was shown in the movie teaser. (Kinda funny I forgot about Victini's reveal being similar to this reveal - in a movie teaser - given I was only talking about Victini's reveal in this very thread a few days back.) Doesn't mean same thing will happen here, but gives us hope, at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom