• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Offiicial Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought Lucas and Roy, and the Dreamland Stage (though I'm very unimpressed with the latter - 'preserving the classic look' for nostalgia's sake is not a good excuse for a stage that just looks terrible - the only exceptions I'd say are 8-bit stages like Duck Hunt). The characters seem pretty neat though, I don't think Roy was at all necessary when they could have been making new characters. Still, I like them enough - I probably still prefer Ness to Lucas, but never mind.

I've not played on the Miiverse stage yet, and I don't suspect I'm going to at any point. I'm just not at all interested in it. And the conversation here has given me more reason to not go there too. Oh well, it's not like I have to play on it ever.

I do wish you could buy Ryu and his stage separately though. I like the look of the stage, but words cannot express how uninterested I am in Ryu. On the direct, his moveset sounded like a load of overcomplicated drivel, as if Smash didn't already squeeze loads of attacks onto very few actual controls. Trying to bring over traditional Street Fighter controls or whatever it is they're doing just sounds to me like a flimsy excuse for overcomplicating the moveset of a character who has very little to do with Smash in the first place. I don't see what warrants this 'special treatment', but... Anyway, I'll stop ranting. I think my point about not liking or being interested in Ryu is clear. His stage does look good though.

I do wish you could buy Ryu and his stage separately though. I like the look of the stage, but words cannot express how uninterested I am in Ryu. On the direct, his moveset sounded like a load of overcomplicated drivel, as if Smash didn't already squeeze loads of attacks onto very few actual controls. Trying to bring over traditional Street Fighter controls or whatever it is they're doing just sounds to me like a flimsy excuse for overcomplicating the moveset of a character who has very little to do with Smash in the first place. I don't see what warrants this 'special treatment', but... Anyway, I'll stop ranting. I think my point about not liking or being interested in Ryu is clear. His stage does look good though.

Seconded. His stage looks cool, but Ryu himself? Too complex for my tastes. His moveset just...doesn't fit well for a Smash environment in my opinion.

I'm kinda miffed Ryu made it into Smash in the first place. Not only because I'm not a Street Fighter fan, but because he is a fighting game character and the star of his own frigging game, I just feel like he was shoehorned in just because someone wanted him. A million other better characters out there... and they choose him. =(

Whatever. Other than that, I got the Zero Mii outfit and I love it. I have a Mii that looks identical to myself and always wanted to see what I looked like in that costume. It's silly, but I had fun trying it out.

Well, I doubt it was just "someone" who wanted Ryu in there. His arrival was probably fueled by a ton of fanservis and hype. Can't say that I really care. We've already got... what, at least four humans that mostly use superpowered martial arts, plus a certain canine humanoid with aura powers? Ryu's gonna be another character there, I guess. Does he bring much to the fights, besides being all... Streetfighter? I don't know.

There were a couple characters that I wanted to appear as DLC, but I knew it wasn't gonna happen. I won't really care til I know anyone I'd be interested in could stand a chance, which is never.

Ryu's going to be an interesting introduction to a lot of people to how more complex fighting games work, since his combos require similar button inputs for Smash. I'm not realy surprised they added him, though. Capcom already has one character in Smash, why not two? Pretty neat, either way. I love having more characters keeping things interesting. I really would have loved Shovel Knight though.

11428017_10152997374900922_2566465895394702502_n.jpg
1509067_10152997373805922_6623001543578324142_n.jpg

11048781_10152997356225922_4007928225967761590_n.jpg
11181582_10152997354610922_5129109843833834191_n.jpg

11229821_10152997353400922_4170704235028568326_n.jpg

Yeah, I have issues against the Nostalgia Critic.

I'll probably buy all of the DLC: Ryu and his stage look really cool, Dreamland will be a nice additional 'plain' stage, and Lucas and Roy will give more variety when I'm playing with my friends. They are pretty expensive, though (especially in Canada), so I'll probably end up only getting them for the Wii U version.

So I bought the DLC and im really in love with it

RYU: He feels amazing and his kit a little overpowered is a breath of fresh air and creative. Id rate him a slid 8/10

His stage is THE GREATEST THING OUT OF THE DLC. Its a solid basic stage but as a massive street fighter fan it was an amazing nostalgia trip

ROY! HE'S BACK LADYS AND GENTS AND HE IS STRONGER THEN EVER. Roy was one of my favorites in Melee and he doesnt dissapoint in this game. He's around the same as he was in melee and it doesnt dissapoint in smash 4.

Lucas: I dont like playing him tbh (more of a ness fan) but he is cool and around the same.

The other stages and other stuff are cool but I didnt spend too much time on them tbh as Im spending my time playing RYU and ROY

I bought the DLC for Ryu AND Roy and I wasnt dissapointed

I would buy it and I do belive its a must-have one. Xdddd

There are still several characters I'd love to see added. My favorite pick is probably Shovel Knight. I loved Shovel Knight so much, and he'd be perfect for Smash. His gameplay and abilities (both Shovel attacks and magic/items) are practically made for Smash. I'd also love to see several others including, but not limited to, King K. Rool, Sora, Skull Kid with Majora's Mask, Waluigi, Toon Ganondorf, Midna/Wolf Link, Sceptile (to round out the starter selection), bring back Wolf for the hell of it,..

A new random, idea popped in my head. How about Yoshi with Baby Mario?

A new random, idea popped in my head. How about Yoshi with Baby Mario?

I think that'd be a bit too much, since you would make fighters actually hit Baby Mario...and...well...

Well, just a couple months til I can finally get a New 3DS XL, and a Super Mario amiibo as my travel smash buddy. I'm sick of grinding for equipment via Trophy Rush, as I've beaten every challenge in the 3DS version that unlocks custom moves, whereas the Wii U version has about 4 left (and I only have 3 hammers to use).

Smash Run is also frustrating for me, why didn't they include a difficulty selection?

Last edited:
Just caught this RIGHT as Pac-Man was changing back from his dash attack.

MlWA77wuTVci4Z2Iny

Has he...ascended to godhood?

Well, if we get a second Capcom character we can get a third! Like everyone's favorite lawyer! Please, Capcom and Nintendo?

That aside, Ryu definitely looks too complex for me. I still plan to play him in the near future (I'll buy him eventually) but I'm not a fan of button combos. It's kind of sad he's overshadowed by our boy, though.

And speaking of Roy, he's my new main. Perfect for my playing style and from my favorite series to boot. I think he's definitely the best Fire Emblem character by a long shot (or a Clawshot, if that's your thing).

Also, I've heard nothing about Lucas, probably because he was in Brawl. Is he mostly the same here or is he any different? Due to a personal bias against Mother (evil, I know,) I need to know how to beat him down.

That aside, Ryu definitely looks too complex for me. I still plan to play him in the near future (I'll buy him eventually) but I'm not a fan of button combos.
The button combos aren't required (the moves are all mapped to Ryu's B specials), you just get a slight power boost if you do it that way. E.g. if you really need that Shoryuken to recover back onto the stage, you'll probably do an Up+B instead of attempting a Right+Down+Right+B (risk of fastfall and all that).

Ryu isn't too bad to play once you get the hang of him (and you definitely want to learn the button combos because they do give a sizable buff. For example Shoryuken gets super armor and a huge knockback buff if you use the input. But yeah in a pinch you can just use smash standard controls).

But speaking of the newcomers, Roy is also hella stronk. I've been having a lot of fun using him.

But speaking of the newcomers, Roy is also hella stronk. I've been having a lot of fun using him.
I have always favored Roy (and Ike) with their up-close-and-personal attack style as contrast with Marth's keepaway game.

I have always favored Roy (and Ike) with their up-close-and-personal attack style as contrast with Marth's keepaway game.

It's funny because I mained Marth in Melee and then mained Ike in brawl. I do find myself playing Ike way more than Marth and Lucina (I only play Lucina because she's my waifu and I use her as a self-inflicted handicap against weaker opponents), but this is more because Marth got absolutely destroyed by the nerf bat in smash 4.

Ike isn't great but Roy got some really nice buffs.

What are you talking about, Ike's recent buffs have likely put him in lower high tier at the highest. He's pretty good now.

Heck yeah he got buffed. :p I can't remember all the buffs exactly, but I know his dash attack can KO very nicely now, his aerials are a bit quicker, I think, and there was more too, I just can't recall all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom