• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A More Realistic Pokémon World

the_may_fan

Reaction score
After disclosing where in the Pokémon world I would theoretically reside, I felt the need to open a thread to discuss something that has always captivated my imagination. Each Pokémon region, at least within the games, is dotted by a finite number of interesting communities. With so many routes connecting these cities and towns, have you ever wondered about the smaller details that are left to your imagination? For years, I've always wondered what the precise population of each community would be along with their demographics. What are your thoughts? Are there millions in each region? How many towns in between New Bark Town and Cherrygrove? The possibilities are endless.

As election season draws nearer again in the United States, I was also tossing around the idea of which areas would be more left-leaning / liberal vs. right-leaning / conservative. The games understandably never really touch upon this aspect, but it's interesting to postulate based upon what we know about our world and the world of Pokémon. For Hoenn, at least, I picture cities like Lilycove, Mauville, and Mossdeep being liberal strongholds whereas more rural locales like Verdanturf, Oldale, Littleroot, and Fallarbor Towns voting more conservatively. The swing areas would be the presumed suburbs around the major cities. Rustboro, Slateport, and Petalburg, I feel, could swing depending upon the mood of the working-class, who I presume form the majority in these areas.

:lol:

I try not to do this outside of the Fiction Fairground, but anyway ... I like asking little questions like this in my fanfic (Link below). I like to think of the games as simplified version of the Pokémon world - that there's a whole society outside of pokémon battling that we don't see through the protgonists' eyes.

Err, let's see. Well, to take an example from a recent chapter, I imagine that there'd be train lines connecting all the major towns. In a world where it's a good idea not to encroach too far onto the wilderness with urban sprawl, I speculate that trains would be more attractive infrastructure than huge highways. I'm also toying with the idea of air travel by airship being more common

I've always imagined the places are like the anime. Same general feeling you get in the games but just far more realistic population numbers.

I sometimes wonder what the real distance between locations is. In the game, areas are probably smaller than they would be in real life. For instance, it may take a day or more to travel between certain cities. Playing the games, we walk this distance in a few minutes, but in reality, I think they must be much longer. The same with the size of cities and the number of houses. In the game, a village consists of 3-4 houses. In reality, maybe there would be 20-50 houses.

I tend to think of the villages/cities like they are depicted in the anime. The main reason why they aren't like that in the games is probably that most houses would not have anything interesting, and if a city for example would have a couple of thousand houses, the game would be quite boring. I think it's hard top answer questions of that kind without making some sort of reference to specific countries in the real world, as there is no general rule for how close small towns etc., are. We do know that most of the cities are within walking distance from each other (even though they sometimes have to walk for quite a while, the distances are hardly those of eg Australia), so the regions can't be too large in terms of area. However, when we start talking about the number of small towns between two larger towns, for example, or politics for that matter, we need to keep in mind that it is very difficult to generalise from one country to another. What's considered left and right, for example, is different in different countries. That makes it quite difficult to base an analysis of the political system in the pokémon world on thew political system in any given country, as you would have to motivate why the pokémon world would be similar to that specific country instead of any other country.

most of the cities are within walking distance from each other (even though they sometimes have to walk for quite a while, the distances are hardly those of eg Australia), so the regions can't be too large in terms of area.

I think that rather demonstrates that the wilderness isn't too hard-going, rather than distance, though I take your point

I worked out a general regional size while planning my story. If you assume that, for example, Johto is the same size as the area it occupies in real Japan (Kansai, more or less), and that a trainer keeps a pace of about ten miles a day (An easy pace for a casual or amateur rambler), they could tour the region pretty quickly. Even if they stopped to train and hung around in cities for at least a few days at a time, they could visit eight Gyms in a matter of months.

most of the cities are within walking distance from each other (even though they sometimes have to walk for quite a while, the distances are hardly those of eg Australia), so the regions can't be too large in terms of area.

I think that rather demonstrates that the wilderness isn't too hard-going, rather than distance, though I take your point

I worked out a general regional size while planning my story. If you assume that, for example, Johto is the same size as the area it occupies in real Japan (Kansai, more or less), and that a trainer keeps a pace of about ten miles a day (An easy pace for a casual or amateur rambler), they could tour the region pretty quickly. Even if they stopped to train and hung around in cities for at least a few days at a time, they could visit eight Gyms in a matter of months.

If we were to have Johto occupy the same amount of area as Kansai, it would be the size of Massachusetts minus a single square mile! Using data from the 2010 census, the latter location has a population of 6.945 million whereas Kansai had a population of 22.76 million. These numbers seem like fair lower and upper bounds on population; I would imagine Johto would have a population somewhere in between at around 15 million inhabitants. In HG/SS, Goldenrod has 28% of Johto's population, so the region's largest city would have 4.2 million residents if we were to scale up to my figure of 15 million (1 in game person = ~33,200 people). Other approximation methods would be more appropriate, however, when gauging other communities though. For example, I doubt New Bark Town would have a population of 332,000 - I'd probably peg it at 10,000 at most. I suppose the best solution would be to use a smaller figure, then take the difference and insert that population into the areas around the region's cities to form the suburbs, which I think would exist even with a higher prevalence of mass transit in the Pokémon world.

Last edited:
I thought about the political aspect of the Pokemon World as well and, to be honest, I think its too difficult to decide on any regions political interest. Rationally seen it isnt logical at all, looking at the basics of Political movements. All of them share great value to traditions (like legends and the traditional Pokemon League) thus meaning they are conservative. But when you look at the technolgical and scientific abilities and the huge amount of labs, you could also say they are very progressive.

Like I said, there is no clear political view. But one thing is for sure, they are all very liberal. since there isn't any sign of government involvement.

I'm gonna guess that Unova, being the most urban region, would be the most liberal part of the Pokeworld. Johto would be the most conservative. I prefer to think of it as visually resembling our world, like Unova basically being the Tri-State area. If I had to give some random population figures...

Saffron-Celadon, Kanto - combined 3,100,000. Basically the Twin Cities on a larger scale.
Fuchsia, Kanto - 246,000, but appears to be more because of tourists.
New Bark, Johto - 5,100. Smallest named town in the Pokeworld.
Olivine, Johto - 1,300,000. Probably a navy city, so a lot of those are military families.
Blackthorn, Johto - 538,000. Same case as Fuchsia.
Rustboro, Hoenn - 842,000. Used to be much larger, but the city's deteriorated in a similar case to Detroit. I mean, c'mon, "rust" is in the name.
Lavaridge, Hoenn - 633,000. A lot of those are snowbirds from northern Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova.
Mossdeep, Hoenn - 729,000. All the more impressive when you consider it's on an island.
Jubilife, Sinnoh - 2,670,000. Largest city without a gym in the Pokeworld.
Sunyshore, Sinnoh - 1,094,000. Very fast-growing.
Castelia, Unova - 5,840,000. Largest city in the Pokeworld.
Driftveil, Unova - 734,000 (BW), 1,740,000 (now). Had a gigantic population boom after the PWT opened.
Virbank, Unova - 1,653,000. A lot of famous people live here due to the movie studio and club scene.
Lumiose, Kalos - 4,301,000. Admit it, this is only larger than Castelia and Nimbasa because of the 3DS' processing power.
Anistar, Kalos - 528,000. The sundial brings a lot of tourists, though.
Snowpoint, Kalos - 305,000. Not many people can deal with the cold.

In a realistic Pokemon world, the presence of villainous teams would be handled by law enforcement and military organizations, both of which are essentially non-existent in the games. Also, everyday problems wouldn't be simply solved with a battle. Kids wouldn't be allowed to roam the wilderness at will, either.

I also wonder what people do for employment? These kids that run around fighting their pets with others, do they attend school? Like, ACTUAL school?

This world is so damn messed up.

I'm gonna guess that Unova, being the most urban region, would be the most liberal part of the Pokeworld. Johto would be the most conservative. I prefer to think of it as visually resembling our world, like Unova basically being the Tri-State area. If I had to give some random population figures...

Saffron-Celadon, Kanto - combined 3,100,000. Basically the Twin Cities on a larger scale.
Fuchsia, Kanto - 246,000, but appears to be more because of tourists.
New Bark, Johto - 5,100. Smallest named town in the Pokeworld.
Olivine, Johto - 1,300,000. Probably a navy city, so a lot of those are military families.
Blackthorn, Johto - 538,000. Same case as Fuchsia.
Rustboro, Hoenn - 842,000. Used to be much larger, but the city's deteriorated in a similar case to Detroit. I mean, c'mon, "rust" is in the name.
Lavaridge, Hoenn - 633,000. A lot of those are snowbirds from northern Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova.
Mossdeep, Hoenn - 729,000. All the more impressive when you consider it's on an island.
Jubilife, Sinnoh - 2,670,000. Largest city without a gym in the Pokeworld.
Sunyshore, Sinnoh - 1,094,000. Very fast-growing.
Castelia, Unova - 5,840,000. Largest city in the Pokeworld.
Driftveil, Unova - 734,000 (BW), 1,740,000 (now). Had a gigantic population boom after the PWT opened.
Virbank, Unova - 1,653,000. A lot of famous people live here due to the movie studio and club scene.
Lumiose, Kalos - 4,301,000. Admit it, this is only larger than Castelia and Nimbasa because of the 3DS' processing power.
Anistar, Kalos - 528,000. The sundial brings a lot of tourists, though.
Snowpoint, Kalos - 305,000. Not many people can deal with the cold.

I like these figures quite a bit. With regards to Johto, Olivine City would likely be one of the liberal strongholds in the region since I would imagine there would be an abundance of government jobs linked to the military or defense contractors (similar to Northern VA?). The regional capital would likely be Goldenrod City, which I imagine is like Los Angeles - sprawling coastal city, entertainment capital, transportation hub. More liberal in the core, but with more conservative counties flanking it - perhaps like Orange County in CA.

Rustboro would mirror Detroit, albeit not as badly - the extraordinarily high level of urban blight and crime would make it unlikely for Rustboro to host one of the Hoenn League's gyms. Certainly in decline though for sure, from a historical maximum of perhaps around 2.5 million? The area would most likely mirror the American Midwest, with many blue collar workers and moderately high unemployment in certain areas and industries. Mossdeep would be the polar opposite and serve as the region's technology hub - I would imagine a prestigious university known for STEM degrees being located on the island close to the space center. Tough to choose the region's capital - perhaps Mauville? Lilycove seems too remote to me and in my mind is separated from most of the region by undeveloped land or rural farms.

Love the Twin Cities idea, too. Lavender Town, I would imagine, would be probably around the same size as New Bark Town. Same for Pallet Town, perhaps, although in the future it would likely expand because of its advantageous location.

If we had to rank from most liberal to conservative, I think Unova, Kalos, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto would be a decent order.

I like these figures quite a bit. With regards to Johto, Olivine City would likely be one of the liberal strongholds in the region since I would imagine there would be an abundance of government jobs linked to the military or defense contractors (similar to Northern VA?).

More like southern VA, honestly. My headcanon Olivine is basically Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Newport News.

The regional capital would likely be Goldenrod City, which I imagine is like Los Angeles - sprawling coastal city, entertainment capital, transportation hub. More liberal in the core, but with more conservative counties flanking it - perhaps like Orange County in CA.

Goldenrod as LA... hell yes, I love this idea. I like the idea of it and Olivine being liberal strongholds. Living amongst the madness, if I could quote a Nextmen song.

Rustboro would mirror Detroit, albeit not as badly - the extraordinarily high level of urban blight and crime would make it unlikely for Rustboro to host one of the Hoenn League's gyms. Certainly in decline though for sure, from a historical maximum of perhaps around 2.5 million? The area would most likely mirror the American Midwest, with many blue collar workers and moderately high unemployment in certain areas and industries.

Well, it could certainly hold down a gym at that level of shithole if the real Detroit can hold down major-league teams in four of the five major sports. I imagine Petalburg, Littleroot, and Oldale would pretty much make up what I would like to call "Ohioenn."

Mossdeep would be the polar opposite and serve as the region's technology hub - I would imagine a prestigious university known for STEM degrees being located on the island close to the space center. Tough to choose the region's capital - perhaps Mauville? Lilycove seems too remote to me and in my mind is separated from most of the region by undeveloped land or rural farms.

Mossdeep is a place I could easily compare to Florida's Space Coast - I actually think it was legit based on Cape Canaveral. Similarly, Lilycove could fit as Orlando with the department store and motel reminding me of the "vacation Mecca" status of ol' Magic City. Fortree would easily fit in as being similar to Jacksonville, surrounded by a more rural atmosphere - just like northern Florida. Sootopolis would probably be... how do I put this? Greek Tampa. I mean, look at it in the anime.

TL;DR, east Hoenn is Michigan and Ohio while west Hoenn is Florida.

Love the Twin Cities idea, too. Lavender Town, I would imagine, would be probably around the same size as New Bark Town. Same for Pallet Town, perhaps, although in the future it would likely expand because of its advantageous location.

There is no fucking way Lavender is that small. The radio tower pretty much disproves that immediately. If I had to guess, Lavender would probably be around 150,000 by HG/SS.

If we had to rank from most liberal to conservative, I think Unova, Kalos, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto would be a decent order.

Switch Sinnoh and Kanto around and this is how I see it. Unova (NY/NJ area) and Kalos (North France) definitely fit as liberal regions/countries/states/principalities. Hoenn I can easily see as a swing area, with places like Mossdeep and Mauville being very liberal and Dewford and Oldale being very conservative. Lavaridge would be the swing city between the old retirees (conservatives) and twenty-somethings there for the obvious resort-city nightlife (liberals). And based off this ordering... remind me to stay out of Johto.

Rustboro would mirror Detroit, albeit not as badly - the extraordinarily high level of urban blight and crime would make it unlikely for Rustboro to host one of the Hoenn League's gyms. Certainly in decline though for sure, from a historical maximum of perhaps around 2.5 million? The area would most likely mirror the American Midwest, with many blue collar workers and moderately high unemployment in certain areas and industries.

How do you explain Rustboro being host to Devon headquarters? Let's be honest here, painting Rustboro as the Detroit of Hoenn is based on a punny name, which in the real world would be a huge - albeit amusing - coincidence. You could just as easily make a case for Fallarbor Town being in urban decline

The routes are roads connecting one city to another. The cities are bigger than in game, but the population and size in game indicate the actual size and population of them. Its something like a mockup. Only the important points are in the game.

Unova is the most populous of all, the USA of the Pokemon world. The biggest economy center and where has the largest cultural industry. Castelia is the Capital. Nimbasa is the Las Vegas of there.
Kalos is the second most populated country, is a France twin in Pokemon world. It is a major tourist spot and home to great revolutions and major historical events of the Pokemon world. Lumiose is the Capital.
Kanto is the third most populated country. A great economy center, like Unova. It is a very industrial area and also polluted. Celadon is the Capital.
Sinnoh isnt so big and a very mountainous area. The people are very religious and traditional. Jublife is the capital.
Johto is a country that's mostly rural, and represents the rural and traditional part of Japan. There are very conservative people, and its economy depends exclusively of Kanto. It's probably a colony of Kanto, since share the same elite four, and probably the same government. Goldenrod is the capital.
Hoenn is the least populated country, is a tropical archipelago not very urbanized and main economy is exports and tourism. Rustboro the capital. Even the capital is smaller than standard cities of Kanto or Unova.

Last edited:

How do you explain Rustboro being host to Devon headquarters? Let's be honest here, painting Rustboro as the Detroit of Hoenn is based on a punny name, which in the real world would be a huge - albeit amusing - coincidence. You could just as easily make a case for Fallarbor Town being in urban decline

Large influential corporations like General Motors are headquartered in Detroit and were founded approximately a century ago when different economic conditions prevailed. The location, in my mind, is a vestige of the city's storied manufacturing past. If time could pass in the games, I could see the Devon corporation easily relocating to more modern locales in Hoenn e.g. Lilycove, Mossdeep if the city was in precipitous decline. Competition from Silph Co. is also another interesting consideration, since this competitor I presume has a slightly larger market share in the Pokétech world.

I also disagree about your point to Fallarbor Town. While you're right in that all of this discussion is speculative, it is rather tough for a community to be in urban decline when it doesn't even qualify as a city in game. It's smaller size saves it from the need for gentrification - a real problem in cities. Fallarbor Town's saving grace is a modern Contest Hall, which I would imagine would drive tourism just enough to keep the community on the map. If I were forced to peg a population, it'd be somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 with the trend being fairly stable, perhaps -2% to +2% year to year.

Finally, to reply to Jimmy's post, I'd say we're on just about the same wavelength regarding our ideas of the Pokémon world. Southern VA probably is a better fit for Olivine; I mentioned Northern VA since much of its affluence and jobs are linked to the area's proximity to Washington D.C. Goldenrod serves as the administrative capital of the region in my mind, so I figured there would some parallels to be observed there.

I agree with much of Southwestern Hoenn being "Ohioenn" - albeit, a much more tropical version of the American Midwest in terms of climate and culture. The reason I hesitate to fully equate Detroit and Rustboro, at least in terms of crime, is that a Pokémon gym would draw young trainers into the heart of what may very well be an unsafe city. Many adult sports fans adults can accompany their children to the games whereas trainers exploring the city lack this adult supervision. While this reality makes their world far different from ours, I would reconcile this issue by relocating Roxanne's gym to a nicer precinct of the city if the current location was overrun with crime.

Lavender Town probably is larger upon a second analysis, since their radio tower broadcasts the only canonical signals for the Kanto Region. Very likely a destination for the region's communications majors, although its relative isolation makes it hard for me to imagine the population being any bigger than 150,000. It's only other draws are graves and such... maybe it's home to a haunted college and some other sites? Never really gave the town or small city much thought.

Large influential corporations like General Motors are headquartered in Detroit and were founded approximately a century ago when different economic conditions prevailed. The location, in my mind, is a vestige of the city's storied manufacturing past. If time could pass in the games, I could see the Devon corporation easily relocating to more modern locales in Hoenn e.g. Lilycove, Mossdeep if the city was in precipitous decline. Competition from Silph Co. is also another interesting consideration, since this competitor I presume has a slightly larger market share in the Pokétech world.

I also disagree about your point to Fallarbor Town. While you're right in that all of this discussion is speculative, it is rather tough for a community to be in urban decline when it doesn't even qualify as a city in game. It's smaller size saves it from the need for gentrification - a real problem in cities. Fallarbor Town's saving grace is a modern Contest Hall, which I would imagine would drive tourism just enough to keep the community on the map. If I were forced to peg a population, it'd be somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 with the trend being fairly stable, perhaps -2% to +2% year to year.

That could work. You might also consider - and this doesn't invalidate the idea of a Rustboro in decline, just an alternate thought - that Devon is headquartered in Rustboro because it's more financially favourable. Better tax arrangements, maybe.

A settlement doesn't have to be a city for it to be in decline. Fallarbor Town has a Contest Hall, fair enough, but one tourist attraction doesn't always sustain a thriving town. Supposing, for example, a situation similar to industry where I live in the Black Country - Fallarbor Town used to be a big glassmaking centre, but now the industry has moved away and the big national investments go into the big cities like Lilycove and Rustboro

Finally, to reply to Jimmy's post, I'd say we're on just about the same wavelength regarding our ideas of the Pokémon world. Southern VA probably is a better fit for Olivine; I mentioned Northern VA since much of its affluence and jobs are linked to the area's proximity to Washington D.C. Goldenrod serves as the administrative capital of the region in my mind, so I figured there would some parallels to be observed there.

I agree with much of Southwestern Hoenn being "Ohioenn" - albeit, a much more tropical version of the American Midwest in terms of climate and culture. The reason I hesitate to fully equate Detroit and Rustboro, at least in terms of crime, is that a Pokémon gym would draw young trainers into the heart of what may very well be an unsafe city. Many adult sports fans adults can accompany their children to the games whereas trainers exploring the city lack this adult supervision. While this reality makes their world far different from ours, I would reconcile this issue by relocating Roxanne's gym to a nicer precinct of the city if the current location was overrun with crime.

Lavender Town probably is larger upon a second analysis, since their radio tower broadcasts the only canonical signals for the Kanto Region. Very likely a destination for the region's communications majors, although its relative isolation makes it hard for me to imagine the population being any bigger than 150,000. It's only other draws are graves and such... maybe it's home to a haunted college and some other sites? Never really gave the town or small city much thought.

I yet, see no point into compare Hoenn to midwest, besides the names.
Headcanons apart, what indicates that Rustboro is in decline? I dont deny the possibility, but I see just a headcanon, which in this case is ok. But beyond that, is there any other indication? Despite the interesting allegory, I think it would be better to see the similarities with the actual region of Japan where Hoenn was inspired.

But just looking at the game, the indications I see, Rustboro is probably the capital of Hoenn. That's where all administrative issues and large companies reside. Slaterport is a port city, and in my opinion, the second option for capital. Lilicove is the main tourist spots, and therefore also an important economic point of Hoenn, which has a higher concentration of people.

Last edited:
Agree. Unova was based on the New York area, but apart from that, I see no reason why phenomena, demographics etc that are specific to the US would hold for the pokémon world as well.

hello! this is going to be kind of long, but i suppose i could give a few ideas i have? also im super sorry if this is silly hAHA

first things first, i'm not american, let alone living near it. i'm actually irish, and my country's population (about 4.6 million people) is smaller than the majority of the top 50 populated cities across the globe. so my take on regions might be a tad unorthodox compared to others.

from a political standpoint, rarely do mainstream political parties here swing too far right or left - and most governments are formed by a centre-right leading party and some backup from centre-lefts. no where in the pokémon world struck me as being overly right or left, but i can agree that johto would be the most conservative with it's tradition roots. then kanto, then possibly sinnoh? pre-ORAS hoenn would have certainly been more conservative than sinnoh, but with the expansion of the region in the remakes i can imagine cities like mauville would swing more left. kalos and unova would be on equal footing for the most part, given they're both based on large cities, but with the technological advances i can see unova as more liberal.

but really, all fantasy and unrealistic things about it all aside, considering the whole "kids going on adventure" and the relatively low prices of goods (reminder that the in-game currency is based on the japanese yen) wouldn't the entirety of the pokémon world be relatively liberal anyway? at the very least, i really can't see any area being SCARILY right-wing, as is the case in my own country.

and finally, speaking of ireland, the prevalence and influence of religion - catholic in particular - historically played a HUGE part in how people's political and social views were formed. it'd be interesting to think of how pokémon "religion" (myths and legends i suppose?) could influence the whole conservative/liberal divide, and where they'd be most prevalent! would any local myths encourage people to swing one way or the other? would people HORRIBLY misinterpret what the legends mean? who knows? either way these kinds of topics are really interesting!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom