• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I want to give Bold Vaporeon some power, what are some good SpA numbers to hit?

Vaporeon is more of a Cleric than anything. It's mostly used as a Wish-Passer, but I've seen Baton Pass work with Acid Armor for pretty good results.

Bold nature already increases Def slightly, so if you're going to invest anything in SpA, I would invest it from what you get in Def from the nature. Keep in mind that the only real good STAB move Vaporeon gets is Scald. Yes, Surf, Muddy Water, and Hydro Pump are stronger, but Hydro Pump has awful accuracy, and Surf/Muddy Water don't have effect bonuses like Scald does (a high burn chance).

Please remember that Vaporeon is built for support, and gets walled by a lot. Plus, in a metagame where water is present on most teams, you'll more often than not only be hitting for neutral damage.

What Pokemon (in OU) give the best synergy with Weavile? How good is it in OU? And is Garchomp a good pick for Stealth Rock support? Or maybe Mamoswine or Heatran?

What Pokemon (in OU) give the best synergy with Weavile? How good is it in OU? And is Garchomp a good pick for Stealth Rock support? Or maybe Mamoswine or Heatran?

Weavile is very good in OU right now. Its Life Orb set with Icicle Crash/Knock Off/Ice Shard/Low Kick and a Jolly nature is best. You can replace Low Kick with moves like Poison Jab or Swords Dance depending on your team's needs.

For partners I personally like to use stallbreaker Gengar. The two of them together don't counter anything due to their frailty, but Weavile checks a lot of Mons that threaten Gengar – Latios, Goodra, Dragalge, Starmie, Tyranitar, and Bisharp – and vice versa with Gengar handling Clefable, Mega Slowbro, Azumarill, etc. Bisharp is another Mon that synergizes well, with the two of them forming a Dark-spam core.

You can use Garchomp or Heatran for Stealth Rock support, but I personally like using defensive Landorus-Therian due its ability to bring Weavile into battle with its slow U-turn.

Is it redundant to run both Weavile and Kyurem-B?
Also, is offensive Spin Starmie a good idea to use when using Weavile?

I'm not the best person to ask regarding the first question, but I would think it would not be too redundant since Ice is such a good offensive type and they could form a Double-Dragon/Bird Spam type core when used together. But you would need to make sure that the other team members can patch up their common weaknesses.

Regarding the second question, yes absolutely. Starmie has decent defensive synergy with Weavile since it resists Fighting and Fire, and Weavile can take care of Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Bisharp when using Low Kick. I'm more of a fan of Starmie's defensive set since it gives it more opportunities to come in and use Rapin Spin, but its offensive set works just fine too.

What about Metagross and Gengar as partners? Chomp+Weavile+K-B give me 3 fairy weaknesses, so I need to make up for that.
Gengar
Taunt
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb (can't get Wave)
Focus Blast
Would that work?

Last edited:
What about Metagross and Gengar as partners? Chimo+Weavile+K-B give me 3 fairy weaknesses, so I need to make up for that.
Gengar
Taunt
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb (can't get Wave)
Focus Blast
Would that work?

On Cartridge yes, that will suffice. Mega Metagross should be a good choice for a Mega. Just keep in mind you'll have 2 weaknesses to Ghost (3 if you have Starmie on the same team) and 2 to Dark if you use Starmie too. What Chimo?

Now when I think about it, Kyurem-B and Weavile are very bad in combo defensively, so would Hydreigon be good instead?

Normal Metagross isn't viable. I've seen it used on occasion with moves like Explosion, but much better SR setters exist.

And if defensive synergy is a concern then no, Hydreigon would not be good instead. Gengar and Weavile already form a pretty potent offensive core while possessing okay defensive synergy minus their frailness, so you should be good just using them if you want.

Yes. Jolly or Naive, unless you want to use TankChomp over Sash/Lum Berry Chomp

TankChomp:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe or 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe (this spread allows Garchomp to outspeed Base 70 Mons)
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast/Toxic

SashChomp:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly or Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Swords Dance/Fire Blast

TankChomp is a great counter to physical attackers like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, etc, all of whom lose 25% of their health just by using a move that makes contact. In my experience TankChomp generally works better on Balance teams while Sash/Lum Berry Garchomp works better on Hyper Offense.

What about Fire Fang? Isn't it better with Garchomp's poor SpA?

Fire Blast is better to avoid Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs recoil from targets like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Even without investment, Fire Blast still hits the targets it needs to plenty hard.

Smogon listed an offensive tank Clefable, should I bother with that, despite not beeing able to get Softboiled and having to use Moonlight?

Hey guys, I need some help with a calculation: can you tell me which one is faster: a Mega Metagross with adamant nature and 252 Speed EVs, or an adamant Mega Metagross with 0 speed EVs after a ROCK POLISH? Thanks!

Hey guys, I need some help with a calculation: can you tell me which one is faster: a Mega Metagross with adamant nature and 252 Speed EVs, or an adamant Mega Metagross with 0 speed EVs after a ROCK POLISH? Thanks!

Your unboosted Metagross at 252 EV's has a base speed of 122 at level 50. Your boosted Metagross at level 50 with 0 EV's has a speed of 180. However, your 252 EV Metagross, WITH a Rock Polish, gets a whopping 244 after a 2+ boost.

Unboosted, your 0 EV-invested Adamant Metagross would have a Base Speed of 90. Not bad, but an unboosted, Jolly Charizard has a base speed of 132, enough to cripple your Metagross. In fact, quite a few threats are either the same speed as you, or slightly faster. If you're looking to hit hard and hit fast, I would invest the EVs in Speed. This way, you could outspeed a fair number of threats, and then use Rock Polish to make yourself even faster. Or, you could use the extra speed to set up Iron Defense or something else.

If I have 100 EV left (example) And I want my pokemon to be more defensive, should I do 50 in def and 50 in sp def, 25 in def, 25 in sp def and 50 in HP or 100 in HP ?

If I have 100 EV left (example) And I want my pokemon to be more defensive, should I do 50 in def and 50 in sp def, 25 in def, 25 in sp def and 50 in HP or 100 in HP ?

It would depend on the pokemon and its purpose (physical wall or special wall?) but I would suggest putting all of the remaining EVs in HP.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom