• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could re-introduce two things that were from previous games, what are they?

henrymidfields

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
I'm making a sister thread here. So there were many good stuff that were introduced in the past games, only to be removed by later installments. Here, we shall discuss stuff/items/characters/concepts that we wish were here to stay, but were removed, haven't returned yet, and being sorely missed. So what would you like to return in future installments?

Without further ado, here are my stuff:

1) Visits to a previous region
Because in the case of GSC, it made so much sense. It was an alternative way of showing how the real-life Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo are actually reliant on each other in this modern day and age. I've always seen the higher level of the real-life setting as Pokémon's speciality within the Nintendo franchises, so actually making Kanto accessible really made sense, and this should have been continued in RSE and DPPt as well - even if it is just a tiny fragment (say 1-2 cities and 1-2 Trainer Routes?) of a previously featured region after being Champion. (This isn't as essential with the two non-Poke-Japanese generations (BW and XY), but it would still be a bonus.)

2) Past PCs appearing as NPC
Only Red has done this so far, and I'm a bit over for him, to be honest. I want to know what other former PC characters are up to. Especially, I don't know why Hilda and Hilbert never appeared in BW2, with speaking roles when they already had that role anyway as Battle Subway Partners in BW1, and when Unova Link existed to carry over BW1's data in the first place. If there is no Unova Link, then we could give them default personalities, and randomised Pokemon they have that are affected by Nate/Rosa's decisions made in BW2. (Whether its Black 2 or White 2, whether you're playing as Nate/Rosa, which starter you've chosen etc. For example, have Leaf battle Lyra in HGSS, or Hilda battle Rosa in the PWT of BW2.)

So, what are everyone's thoughts?

Re: If you could re-introduce two things that were from previous games, what are they

Following Pokemon & Battle Frontier, that's all I needed from ORAS.

Following Pokemon was great because it gave an extra step of immersion into the Pokemon world. And the Battle Frontier was fun as hell.

Re: If you could re-introduce two things that were from previous games, what are they

More touch screen integration. HGSS was so good because you didn't even need to switch from buttons to stylus to buttons. You could run, talk, dowse, and open menus all from buttons on the screen. Then BW came out and it took a step back in the touchscreen functionality.

PWT/rematching gym leaders in general. I know this gem isn't done, so t still might happen, but it just confuses me when they have a feature like this that seems completely sensible to keep in, only to flip flop back and forth on whether its included or not. It was kinda like that with sprites that move, as well. Crystal introduced it, then it disappeared in RS, then reappeared in E, then was gone in FRLG, like make up your mind.

That's easy. Pokémon World Tournament and Battle Frontier of course. Do I even need to explain why?

Emerald's Battle Frontier (or a Battle Frontier just as good), this is easily my favourite Battle Frontier. I hated the Sinnoh Battle Frontier though, all battle facilities there are terrible and it wasn't nowhere as fun as the Emerald's Battle Frontier.

Pokeathlon. I spent so much time at this place trying to collect all the trophies and all the minigames were awesome.

Challenge Mode and Easy Mode. I kinda wished that they could have been options before starting the game rather require Unova Link transfers from games that already beat the Elite 4 in BW2. So as a result, I couldn't get to set my Black 2 game to challenge mode because I didn't have anyone nearby who had already unlocked the Challenge Mode key and could send it to me. I'd like to play another game on challenge mode in the future though.

And the Pokeathlon as well. I liked that you could use the points and trade them for neat items like Evolutionary Stones, and you didn't have to win 1st place to get the points. So it made getting those rare stones a whole lot easier.

Following Pokémon and returning PC's. Red in Johto was cool and all, but they had the perfect opportunity to do it in B2W2 and they failed. I mean, Memory Link allowed N to call you by your previous name in BW, so why couldn't Memory Link activate a special post-game battle between you and the PC from the previous game?

Following Pokemon and customization

Walking Pokèmon: Everyone says that feature was useless but I thought it was cool to walk with a Lugia or Mewtwo.

Battle Frontier: While the opponents do cheat, it is still a lot more fun than the Battle Maison of today and it provides a decent postgame.

I may be stretching the definition of "feature" a bit here, but backtracking. I honestly don't mind having a linear region for storyline purposes, as long as I have the option of deviating from that path. Let's compare Kalos and Unova - what is there in Kalos to come back to that isn't a part of the storyline? Route 22, the coast along Route 8, Azure Bay, Route 16, the Lost Hotel, the lower level of Route 19, and the Pokémon Village - none of which have a particularly lot to do. And that's all of the backtrack spots throughout the entire game! Now look at Unova - Routes 17 and 18, the basement of the Dreamyard for post-game, Wellspring Cave's basement, Pinwheel Forest's right side, the optional left side of Route 4, the Desert Resort (yes, you revisit it as a part of the story later on, but you have the option to visit it early), Route 16/Lostlorn Forest - all this, only four Badges in. Now keep going - Mistralton Cave, the Moor of Icirrus, Challenger's Cave for the post-game. In addition to season-locked paths. Even a few small nooks and crannies that are accessible via Surf or Strength. And then there is still all of Eastern Unova for the post-game as well. That is the kind of explorational content that I miss the most.

Beyond that, Gym Leader rematches. There is no excuse that I can think of for these not being a permanent inclusion by this point. My second choice would have been difficulty modes, but Gym Leader rematches just feel like such an obvious and not even hard-to-program no-brainer that they take precedence.

Last edited:

1) Battle Frontier

2) "Fusion" Pokemon (i.e., Black/White Kyurem)

I'd like to see more Pokemon take on fusion forms. There's already Pokemon who in-game fuse to evolve (e.g., Slowpoke, Magnemite, and Beldum lines) but I'd like to see this mechanic fleshed out. Aside from the obvious "Original Dragon" Kyurem from a fusion between it and the other two Unova Dragons, I could see things like Aegislash "fusing" with another Pokemon as a held item of sorts.

In terms of fleshing it out, it would be nice if the move-sets were taken from all constituent Pokemon. For instance, the "base" Pokemon would try to learn moves from the Pokemon it fuses with based on that Pokemon's current moveset.

Battle Frontier and Challenge Mode. They would definitely make a big difference by adding a whole lot more difficulty.

1. Pokemon World Tournament/ Battle Frontier. Both would be redundant so whatever one GF prefers.

And 2: Gym Leader rematches. I dont use them too much, but it just drives me nuts that GF dont make such a BASIC thing permanent.

Pokemon following you was my favorite thing about HGSS, but maybe this time have an option to turn it off/on

The VS seeker, leveling up in some games was very hard, especially in gen V.

Challenge mode was great, but I'd prefer it if it was accessible from the get-go and not post game. That's the only thing that put me off about it in BW2.

And visiting other regions is definitely something else I'd love for the sole reason that there's more to explore.

Pokeathlon. Best sidequest introduced to date, had an amazing amount of depth, and its sense of reward when finding the winning mix for pokemon honestly is superior to the feels you get when winning the league. I need more damn it.
Seasons. Why they were taken out I have no idea but its amazing thatthey were. Something like that is fundemental on a level suchas day and night, that it is astounding.

The Battle Frontier - self-explanatory. The Battle Maison pales in comparison.

The Underground - with online capabilities significantly better than what they were in Generation IV, an expanded Underground would be a lot of fun in my opinion.

Pokemon Musical lol no just kidding

For me it's the VS Seeker, it made rebattles so much easier to have, and was much better than having to grind in the grass.

The other feature I want to return is Pokethlon, it was a genius concept but we only got it in 1 set of games, why???

World Tournament

Customisation

Game corner - but that won't happen because 'Oh no! Gambling!' Gambling is coming to steal the souls of all the sinners who praise the evil Lord Gamblor! Say goodbye to your previous Boogymen because Gambling is the new Bloody Mary and we can't have it anywhere near us. (Even though, let's face it, how many of us play the slots or the roulette in the Game corners and actually became gambling addicts? Anyone? Show of hands.... didn't think so.)

Seasons. Why they were taken out I have no idea but its amazing thatthey were. Something like that is fundemental on a level suchas day and night, that it is astounding.
This.

The Underground - with online capabilities significantly better than what they were in Generation IV, an expanded Underground would be a lot of fun in my opinion.
and this.

(I know that's three, but two weren't mine.)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom