• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Mega Stones can't be knocked off, so your Blazikenite would have been safe.

That's good to know, but me being such a casual player, I still worry about stuff like Amulet Coins or Leftovers, both of which I have only one. Though I'm very relieved to know that items are safe in the Battle Maison, too. Still, imagine a kid less intuitive than I, making their way through a Pokemon game, and they bump into a piddly little Poochyena or something, they send out their money-maker with the Amulet Coin, then one little hit of Knock Off and... no more Amulet Coin. That's like Dark Souls-level nonsense for a children's role-playing game. I can hardly believe that.

Uh, I've gotten hit with Knock Off many times in wild Pokemon battles, my Pokemon's items didn't vanish forever. They just lost their effect for the duration of the battle. Though lately, this has been in SoulSilver, not in gen 6. So did this change in gen 6? If so, that's lame...

Uh, I've gotten hit with Knock Off many times in wild Pokemon battles, my Pokemon's items didn't vanish forever. They just lost their effect for the duration of the battle. Though lately, this has been in SoulSilver, not in gen 6. So did this change in gen 6? If so, that's lame...

I thought I heard that any items on the wild Pokemon are lost forever if they are hit by Knock Off, while any items on your Pokemon are simply returned to your inventory.

I thought I heard that any items on the wild Pokemon are lost forever if they are hit by Knock Off, while any items on your Pokemon are simply returned to your inventory.

Yeah i think this is the case, if wild pokemon uses knock off on your leftovers, pretty sure the leftovers still there at end of the battle, they just dont work for the remainder of the battle. BUT if you use knock off on a wild pokemon and catch it, you dont get the item it was holding when you catch it, its holding nothing

Started getting into IV breeding today, (or at least trying to). I've managed to catch a deino with 31 IV's in ATK, DEF, and SPD, and a deino with 31 IV's in HP and SPDEF

Is this a good starting point to put a destiny knot on and start breeding, or should I keep dexnaving for one with even more 31 IV's?

That's a pretty good start! From here on just start hatching eggs untill you find a 4IV child, and replace one of the parents with that one, but remember to always have all 6 IV's covered somehow. From there on your offspring will quickly improve. Are you taking note of their nature as well?

That's a pretty good start! From here on just start hatching eggs untill you find a 4IV child, and replace one of the parents with that one, but remember to always have all 6 IV's covered somehow. From there on your offspring will quickly improve. Are you taking note of their nature as well?

er I forgot about making sure it had to right nature for a while lol, causing this to take a lot longer than it should have. I ended up hatching a 5 IV'ed one earlier today though. Thanks for the advice!

As Dragon Rage hits 40 HP all the time unexceptionally, does it hit 80 HP to dragon type Pokémon and 20 HP to Ice type Pokémon? Or it is still 40 HP?

Always 40 HP. It completely ignores type match-ups (well, except Fairy's immunity).

Is the first Pokemon you encounter in X and Y always a Pidgey? And if so, A. would it hypothetically bypass Repels? And B. is it limited to Route 2, or if in the hypothetical Repel situation, I opted not to use them on only Victory Road, would I get that Pidgey or normal encounters?

I think this should be testable given that 3DS is now apparently hackable, but I'm not sure, so feel free to call me out on my stupidity if I'm wrong.

Is the first Pokemon you encounter in X and Y always a Pidgey? And if so, A. would it hypothetically bypass Repels? And B. is it limited to Route 2, or if in the hypothetical Repel situation, I opted not to use them on only Victory Road, would I get that Pidgey or normal encounters?

I think this should be testable given that 3DS is now apparently hackable, but I'm not sure, so feel free to call me out on my stupidity if I'm wrong.

Yes- you will encounter nothing in the first row of grass, and as soon as you step onto the second row, you are forced to encounter a level 3 Keen Eye Pidgey, after which you can start encountering stuff normally. In fact, the post I made just a few posts above yours should've implied as much;

That Pidgey you're forced to encounter on Route 2 in X and Y- can it be Shiny?

See, I'm actually soft resetting for a Shiny Pidgey in this way, hence my asking. As for your question about Repels, I have no idea. I'm thinking Repels wouldn't prevent the encounter, like they don't prevent encounters from shaking bushes, shadows in caves, Poké Radar-induced shaking grass, and so forth.

Yes- you will encounter nothing in the first row of grass, and as soon as you step onto the second row, you are forced to encounter a level 3 Keen Eye Pidgey, after which you can start encountering stuff normally. In fact, the post I made just a few posts above yours should've implied as much;

That Pidgey you're forced to encounter on Route 2 in X and Y- can it be Shiny?

See, I'm actually soft resetting for a Shiny Pidgey in this way, hence my asking. As for your question about Repels, I have no idea. I'm thinking Repels wouldn't prevent the encounter, like they don't prevent encounters from shaking bushes, shadows in caves, Poké Radar-induced shaking grass, and so forth.

Oh. Sorry I missed that. I was thinking that, but I believe you have all but confirmed my theory. Why a Pidgey, though? I get X and Y were really riding on the nostalgia train, but why not a NEW Pokemon first? But that's just nitpicking, I suppose.

I currently have a Lvl. 10 Murkrow. I wanted to teach my Murkrow Sucker Punch and Night Slash. Problem is, Murkrow learns Sucker Punch at 55 and Honchkrow learns Night Slash at 55. Does Honchkrow learn Night Slash when I evolve it at 55 after teaching Murkrow Sucker Punch? Or can I just tutor Night Slash to Honchkrow?

Last edited:
Does Honchkrow learn Night Slash when I evolve it at 55 after teaching Murkrow Sucker Punch? Or can I just tutor Night Slash to Honchkrow?
Yes. When a Pokemon evolves upon level up, it receives the opportunity to learn a new move both before and after evolution. E.g. if a Riolu evolves at Lv.15 (the point at which it learns Force Palm, and Lucario learns Power-up Punch), it will be able to learn Force Palm, then evolve to Lucario, then be able to lean Power-up Punch, all in one go.

Is there any sort of algorithm to determine what you get in Wonder Trade, or is it just completely random? If so, how are your trade partners determined?

I've been Wonder Trading since it was a thing but the mechanics behind it still baffles me.

Is there any sort of algorithm to determine what you get in Wonder Trade, or is it just completely random? If so, how are your trade partners determined?

I've been Wonder Trading since it was a thing but the mechanics behind it still baffles me.

Wonder trade is completely random and there's no way to tell who you're going to trade with until the game finds a trade partner. The game can have you trade with the same person twice in the row if it wants, but chances of that happening and chances of trading with the same person more then once through WT is very low.

How do you turn all the people in the Lilycove fan club into your fans?

The most I got was two - the kid in the front and the guy in the back. Everyone else still loves Lisia

UPDATE: I just won all 5 Master Ranks and all the people in the fan club are my fans except for the Roselia.

Can you turn the Roselia into your fan as well? It is holding an Altaria banner so I guess you have to do something with a partner pokemon to make it hold a banner of your pokemon... any ideas?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is going to notice this, but screw it, I guess.

I've been replaying SoulSilver recently, and I've been trying to gather up all the Gym Leaders so that I can rematch them for XP. I've gotten about 7 or so in the Fighting Dojo at present, and I believe about 12 numbers. I've been talking to Daisy Oak every time of day, every day for the past week and she never gives me massages, instead saying "Hi! My brother is the leader of Viridian Gym! He leaves a lot, so it causes trouble for the trainers," or something like that. I already talked to Blue in the gym several times to see if he triggers the event, but it isn't happening. What am I doing wrong?

Hey guys, while playing my Alpha Sapphire I noticed something... After defeating Hiker Trent, at the entrance of the Cable Cab towards Mt. Chimney, he says: "I hear there are some seriusly tough Trainers on top of Mt. Chimney, I intend to get up there and give them a challenge!" However, when you go there, there are NO trainers on top of the mountain. Is this an error that Game Freak made? Because I remember in the original RSE there indeed were some trainers on top of Mt. Chimney, which have been left out of the remakes. Did GF forget to change Hiker Trent's line? Or alternatively, is Hiker Trent referring to Team Aqua and Magma as the strong trainers he intends to challenge, who do happen to be on top of the Mountain the first time you visit it (with no trainers once you defeat them) ?

It´s no big deal but I hate these kinda errors in a game, they kinda ruin the experience. So do you think it is an error or is hiker Trent talking about Team Aqua and Magma?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom