• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sounding Board 2.0 - Post & Discuss Your RP Ideas!

I've got two dark and rather violent RPs in the making.

1.) Operation Legendary Liberation - Team Galactic has led a blitzkrieg attack to capture the Legendaries and they succeeded. A few Legendaries escape and seek to find trainers to ally with so they can free the other Legends and take down Team Galactic.

Players can play the role of Legendaries, trainers, Team Galactic grunts or even allied wild pokémon.

2.) Unknown title - Seeing as the authorities are doing nothing, survivors of a violent Team Plasma attack on Evergrande City decide to take matters into their own hands, attacking Team Plasma grunts and interfering with their operations. Their goal: kill N and dismantle the extremist anti-pokémon battling group Team Plasma.

Players will play the role of Team Plasma grunts, the vigilante trainers, trained pokémon or allied wild pokémon.

In all cases, I picture the pokémon as being sapient and some (especially the Legendaries) being capable of speech.

So, as I'm a rather rusty roleplayer who would like to get back into the swing of things, I was advised to post some ideas here and see if anyone would be interested in a PRP. I realise it's not exactly the busiest of periods, but I figured it's worth a try.

I'd currently prefer a PRP with one or two people (all the same RP) and I currently definitely can't handle more than two different RP's. I also don't see myself posting several times a day, due to time restraints (though it also depends on reply time from the other person, and I realise the same might be true for them) So be prepared for things to be a bit slow

The thing I'm currently looking for is a Pokémon RP (surprise surprise)

As for ideas, I've never been one to really participate in the big 'save the world' kinda plots (not that those can't be fun) and instead like things on a smaller scale, often character driven. Journeys are awesome, but don't have to be typical 'challenge gyms, become champion' either.

I also really like to work with settings and see where things go, so any interesting place could make for a cool plot. Aside from that, I love character driven plots, with tons of interaction and development. For me, a basic plotline where characters would, for example, have to cross some treacherous woods, but their guide goes missing, would already be plenty of plot for me (actually, I quite like that idea)

I'm currently still working on some ref sheets for a couple of my characters, so sadly I can't share those yet. However, a character I would definitely like to use is a young urban explorer/amateur paranormal investigator, so something involving some kind of mystery would be great as well

I also just realised that I'm not necessarily looking for an incredibly long RP (so that might partly be why simple plots currently really appeal to me)

So, if anyone would be interesting in something along these lines, please let me know!

Last edited:
I also just realised that I'm not necessarily looking for an incredibly long RP (so that might partly be why simple plots currently really appeal to me)

The simplest plots are what yield the longest results considering that an RPs' longevity relies on its characters and setting, and the elegance of a simple plot makes things easy to continue building upon. Something to keep in mind.

I always wanted to be apart of an RP with enough players that you could have a war roleplay where the two different sides fought eachother, and maybe there'd be a way to die. (Dice maybe?) It'd be hard to make work though.

@progressforth; Dice-dictated RPs have been done before in the section. However, it's a lot of micromanagement that many GMs don't feel they need to do. Me, as an RPer, like to play up the "collaborative" in the collaborative story part of a roleplay. If I feel as though my contribution means nothing to the flow of the RP, and can be changed through chance via dice rolled by a single person, I'll be turned off from participating.

That being said, there are many ways to do it well with this type of RP. So, rest on the idea.

@progressforth; Dice-dictated RPs have been done before in the section. However, it's a lot of micromanagement that many GMs don't feel they need to do. Me, as an RPer, like to play up the "collaborative" in the collaborative story part of a roleplay. If I feel as though my contribution means nothing to the flow of the RP, and can be changed through chance via dice rolled by a single person, I'll be turned off from participating.

That being said, there are many ways to do it well with this type of RP. So, rest on the idea.
I was thinking of something that would have rounds, or something. I highly doubt it could work, I just brought it up because I was wondering if something like that would work. A fight probably would be decides not by just a dice roll, but other things, it'd be too complicated though..

@Dieter; so basically you're trying to go for a simpler plot. Well I guess the best way to do it is to ask around, granted you could also make a public RP like the one you mentioned yourself, I mean the best way to get those creative juices going is by moving them on your own or something like that.

I've considered that, but I didn't want to make an entirely new board for just a relatively small (in terms of players and plot/set-up details) roleplay, as I thought it would just take up unnecessary space in a way? I dunno, maybe that's just really weird reasoning XD

The simplest plots are what yield the longest results considering that an RPs' longevity relies on its characters and setting, and the elegance of a simple plot makes things easy to continue building upon. Something to keep in mind.

That is of course definitely true, also because it allows players to introduce more things not necessarily or directly related to the plot. But say we go with my example plot, in theory there are only two clear objectives; find the guide, cross the woods. Maybe a third one in the form of 'why did the guide disappear'

A 'safe the world because this and this and this and this is happening' is in that way already more complicated in it's set up and forces you to do a lot of things, just to stick to the plot

On a side note, I still haven't figured out how to properly do mentions

I've considered that, but I didn't want to make an entirely new board for just a relatively small (in terms of players and plot/set-up details) roleplay, as I thought it would just take up unnecessary space in a way? I dunno, maybe that's just really weird reasoning XD

That is of course definitely true, also because it allows players to introduce more things not necessarily or directly related to the plot. But say we go with my example plot, in theory there are only two clear objectives; find the guide, cross the woods. Maybe a third one in the form of 'why did the guide disappear'

A 'safe the world because this and this and this and this is happening' is in that way already more complicated in it's set up and forces you to do a lot of things, just to stick to the plot

On a side note, I still haven't figured out how to properly do mentions

The basis of Yes, And will guarantee that, when done right, something as clean-cut as "find the guide, cross the woods" could still yield a long, meaty story haha. It's simple things like that which allows for growth in many ways, since you've introduced two very open-ended goals. You can do a lot with those so long as both RPers are collaborating.

Oh, and it's the at sign + the name of the person, followed by a semicolon.

@ [USERNAME HERE] ; without the spaces and replacing the brackets with the username. Or, if you want to do it the longer (and harder) way, you could use the @[/ MENTION] tags. But, that's unnecessary - the first gets the job done much faster, obviously.

Hey, I've been kicking around a couple of ideas for the past few months, but hadn't been able to really do much planning due to work. I wanted some feedback on my ideas, especially since the latest idea I tried went over like a lead balloon.

1. A Pokémon Ranger RP similar to one I tried with Skitty-Lover a while back. The plot is as follows: All the ranger bases in Unova are shut down except for the last one, who is currently threatened due to lack of funding. Thanks to this lack of funding the pay for the rangers is very low, so many of the more skilled ones have moved on to different regions, leaving only the rookie rangers fresh out of the academy. In order to create more revenue for the base and to renew the trust of the Unova Board of Defense the rangers need to successfully complete missions. I'm planning on a total of 4 mission to take place in the RP, 3 of them leading up to the last one which is an encounter with the 'final boss' of sorts. I'm planning on this taking place shortly after B/W, but before B/W 2. The main antagonist would be a large mercenary army of sorts, with several elite people that would have prominent roles. They'd find strong Pokemon, use a unique technology to capture them, trained or not, so that their leader can rise to power unchallenged. All of the strongest Trainers (Elite 4, Champion, etc.) are mysteriously absent around this time as well. There are several conspiracies afoot, and the Rangers involved would have to find out the truth as well as restore the Rangers to prominence.

2. Some kind of Pokemon Academy RP where aspiring Gym Leaders are trained in the craft. A rather simplistic plot, just thought I'd try it.

Last edited:
So here lately I've had an idea for a RP, but I've run into 2 problems.

The first is that while I've come up with a setting, I don't have a plot. The story takes place on a floating continent that's kept afloat by large Mega Stone crystals scattered about. The energy that flows through the land affects both human and Pokémon in all sorts of ways.

The Pokémon are much stronger and aren't shy of humans, resulting in common attacks. Three new races of humans (got two named so far) have been founded, thanks to the strange mutations and abilities caused by the energy.

There's going to one major city (considering the name Arkendale) that's going to act as the main hub of sorts. Other settlements are going to exist, both named and unnamed.

I want this to be a journey RP of sorts (returning to the main city will be likely, so we won't always be traveling), but I can't figure out for the life of me why the group would be together in the first place. The world isn't ending, won't be any Gyms, no evil organization, and I don't want to go the "just because" route.

My second problem is that I lose interest in my own RPs. It gets to the point where writing posts becomes frustrating for me. Once I hit that point it's pretty tough getting interested again. I stop thinking about how to move things along and force myself into a corner with no clue what to do. So any tips on how to stay interested would be greatly appreciated.

To the Journey one

1. Make it seem like the Professor implements a Buddy system since it is dangerous and all that jazz.

2. Keep it flexible and keep it simple, so it is easier to post. Let the others dictate what happens, you just set the boundaries.

Idk, I guess I'm gonna post some ideas here or something. Don't judge! Actually, yes judge, that's the whole point of this.

The first idea takes place only in a bathtub.

The second idea (and first real one) would be an episodic cop drama. Maybe not drama, then I'd have to shoehorn people into a genre, or I guess mood would be a better word. Basically an episodic cop show. Actually, not even a cop show, just something episodic and fleshed out more like a television show or movie more than a novel. I'm really just bouncing around ideas for different formats. It definitely needs more thought, like a story line or if each episode would be different short threads one after the other or all in the same thread so as to keep clutter down. I also don't want to go too avant garde with it. Agh, this is really rambly because it is 2 am and I've just been lurking for the past couple months waiting for a roleplay to pique my interest so I'm kind of rusty.

edit: I forgot a period... make that really rusty.

I'm thinking of my writing my first roleplay on BMGF, here's what I have so far. It's loosely based on Star Wars if you wanted to know, with my planned character being a "wild-man version of Luke Skywalker".

The world of Pokemon is in great peril. Team Rocket has merged with the remainder of its competition, becoming Team Zeta. Giovanni and Lysandre are joint leaders of this group.

However, a rebellion has formed, and while few in numbers compared to Team Zeta, this little rebellion is our world's last glimmer of hope. Maybe Arceus be with them,

The basis of Yes, And will guarantee that, when done right, something as clean-cut as "find the guide, cross the woods" could still yield a long, meaty story haha..

I know this was a month ago but holy shit did you just use Yes, And?

Yay improv.

The basis of Yes, And will guarantee that, when done right, something as clean-cut as "find the guide, cross the woods" could still yield a long, meaty story haha..

I know this was a month ago but holy shit did you just use Yes, And?

Yay improv.

Hehe. That's what RP is at it's core - improv.

I have an idea of being trapped inside a role playing game. Much like Sword Art Online. Your thoughts please?

Back
Top Bottom