• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^This.

But really, I agree with you. If they were to make another Kanto game I would want to see something different and innovative, maybe some sort of alternate story because of the Mega Universe?

In terms of DPPt remakes, I still enjoy the old ones and I find them good enough that I won't be looking for one any time soon. But that's just me. I also have the Gen 3 games, which I still play, but I realize not everyone does and I would be okay with returning to Kanto in a fresh way.

Also, with most remakes so far there have been at least ten years since the original, correct? Maybe not with FR/LG, but those were definitively needed for 'Mon availability and all that. But HG/SS were '09/'10, and the originals were '98/'99 or '99/'00, correct? Same goes with ORAS, RS came out in '03? So I wouldn't expect Gen 4 remakes for a couple years. But I could be remembering incorrectly when the originals came out. Personally, though, I have no driving desire for them for the time being. I do agree that I don't think that they will come out on the 3DS, but at the very least GF will wait until the next Gen handheld, whatever that may be. And even then I'll probably still have my DSi and DS Lite, thereby granting me access to the older games. Heck, I still have a GB Color that I can dig up and power on if I really want to play the originals.

But in the case of Gen IV remakes actually happening, I definitely want to see a lot of Platinum elements, such as the enhanced storyline, the Looker, the Battle Frontier, etc.

Granted, I was hoping for Emerald stuff in ORAS, but that was a wash... Still loved the game, though...

^^This.

But really, I agree with you. If they were to make another Kanto game I would want to see something different and innovative, maybe some sort of alternate story because of the Mega Universe?

In terms of DPPt remakes, I still enjoy the old ones and I find them good enough that I won't be looking for one any time soon. But that's just me. I also have the Gen 3 games, which I still play, but I realize not everyone does and I would be okay with returning to Kanto in a fresh way.

Also, with most remakes so far there have been at least ten years since the original, correct? Maybe not with FR/LG, but those were definitively needed for 'Mon availability and all that. But HG/SS were '09/'10, and the originals were '98/'99 or '99/'00, correct? Same goes with ORAS, RS came out in '03? So I wouldn't expect Gen 4 remakes for a couple years. But I could be remembering incorrectly when the originals came out. Personally, though, I have no driving desire for them for the time being. I do agree that I don't think that they will come out on the 3DS, but at the very least GF will wait until the next Gen handheld, whatever that may be. And even then I'll probably still have my DSi and DS Lite, thereby granting me access to the older games. Heck, I still have a GB Color that I can dig up and power on if I really want to play the originals.

But in the case of Gen IV remakes actually happening, I definitely want to see a lot of Platinum elements, such as the enhanced storyline, the Looker, the Battle Frontier, etc.

Granted, I was hoping for Emerald stuff in ORAS, but that was a wash... Still loved the game, though...

I will admit I was quite surprised stuff like BF, Match Call, Juan, gym leader rematches, Trainer Hill or Desert Underpass, (all those being Emerald features) were not included in the remakes. They obviously decided to use R/S instead of E for the source base of the remakes.

This was surprising but I am sure there was a reason for it. Laziness or time constraints are definitely not the reason those were left out. Because it would've taken the same amount of time, or less, to include all those Emerald elements, instead of remaking Mauville city, and creating Sea Mauville, Delta Episode, Soaring, etc. All those took more time to put in the game, I would think. Therefore, there should be an other reason. Maybe Masuda likes HIS games (the original pairs) getting more attention?

Looking at precedents, gen1 remakes went the exact same way: no Pikachu following you and no starters catchable in grass, no surfing minigame... means Yellow wasn't taken into account... Even less than Emerald (because ORAS does honour Emerald in many ways, it doesn't ignore it).

Only gen II remakes truly represented the third game. And there wasn't much to represent apart of the Suicune plot anyway.

So maybe, in general, their idea is to remake the original games only?

Remember people, GF are not amateurs. They are good and know how to include any third game feature in a remake if they want to. The question is, why do they generally prefer not to?

Yes, Masuda is famous for making illogical/ weird decisions. But I think ignoring third version additions, stands behind a reason other than laziness or time constraints.

About gen 4 remakes, I think the Distortion World will definitely be added (and Looker, seeing how they bothered to have him appear in ORAS, when he was never in Hoenn) but I don't see much more added, especially not the Frontier. I do hope they add gym rematches, which Gen II remakes added, and ORAS didn't.

I think it would also be cool for Shinnoh fans to have Digging with Excadrill, following Soaring with Lati@s from ORAS, but they probably won't do that. They might have Secret Bases battles, but don't take it for granted, they like changing from game to game.

Last edited:
maybe some sort of alternate story because of the Mega Universe?
i'm curious as to how that would turn out, given that Origins (which essentially copy and pasted RGB's story and added in Mega) as well as ORAS have had minimal changes due to Mega Evolution.

at this point, the remakes are driven largely by fan demand. FRLG were remade due to lack of compatibility between gens I and II with Ruby and Sapphire as well as the near universal absence of their Pokemon as well. HGSS and ORAS were remade because largely because of fan demand (GameFreak has more or less confirmed this). the fact that most of the games fall near the ten year anniversary of the original release is mere coincidence: were Gen V not an abnormal generation, i would put money down that ORAS would've been Gen V and not VI.

The idea of remaking a remake is a bit much in my taste. We already got Kanto 4 generations in a row: Gen 1 has RBY which is three games total (4 if Green counts), Gen 2 has GSC with Kanto as a post game thing, Gen 3 has FRLG which are remakes of Red and Green, Gen 4 has HGSS with Kanto as post game again. Of course it may be a bit early for Sinnoh remakes but considering that Gen 5 games was put on the same game console as gen 4 games, it could be possible for Sinnoh to return despite Diamond/Pearl/Platinum being playable on all DS systems.

For DP remakes, I would like both new things introduced as well as elements from Platinum. It would be nice to see them take both the HGSS and ORAS style. I agree that the Battle Frontier is unlikely to return due to Game Freak's reason to why ORAS didn't have one. ORAS did have Wallace use his Emerald team but that was a one time battle and the Delta Episode was supposedly a way to honor Emerald although it could do with a bit more work with the story. DP remakes are likely to stick with the original story but the post game could open a story involving Giratina and Distortion World. I would like to see the Heatran and Charon post game as well.

Has Game Freak given a reason for why they didn't add the Battle Frontier to ORAS? That was one thing that really bothered me, because that Battle Frontier was my favorite, and I would have actually had a chance at tackling it because EV training is easier.

Has Game Freak given a reason for why they didn't add the Battle Frontier to ORAS? That was one thing that really bothered me, because that Battle Frontier was my favorite, and I would have actually had a chance at tackling it because EV training is easier.
Yes, yes he did. Apparently, they didn't put the battle frontier in oras because most players wouldn't be "interesred" in it. Now, personnaly, i'm not bothered with it but i can see why people are upset about it.

Back on topic, i really don't think sinnoh deserves to get a remake any time soon. I mean platinum was only six years ago, and the only "signifiant" difference between it and gen 6 is the fairy type and unlimited tms. Gen 4 is doing fairly well to this day imo.

Back on topic, i really don't think sinnoh deserves to get a remake any time soon. I mean platinum was only six years ago, and the only "signifiant" difference between it and gen 6 is the fairy type and unlimited tms.

You have a funny definition of significant. 3D graphics, Mega Evolutions, and the PSS aren't? I mean 5th gen was a baby step forward but 6th gen was more like a giant leap, so that evens out. Plus, Sinnoh is likely to be remade in 7th or 8th gen anyway (depending on the timing with Nintendo's next handheld, but at this point it seems likely that 7th gen would be on NX), and by that point Platinum will be even further removed from 7th/8th gen standards.

Back on topic, i really don't think sinnoh deserves to get a remake any time soon. I mean platinum was only six years ago, and the only "signifiant" difference between it and gen 6 is the fairy type and unlimited tms.

You have a funny definition of significant. 3D graphics, Mega Evolutions, and the PSS aren't? I mean 5th gen was a baby step forward but 6th gen was more like a giant leap, so that evens out. Plus, Sinnoh is likely to be remade in 7th or 8th gen anyway (depending on the timing with Nintendo's next handheld, but at this point it seems likely that 7th gen would be on NX), and by that point Platinum will be even further removed from 7th/8th gen standards.

I meant in terms of improvements not in overall game. Pss isn't exactly an "improvement" since it's just filler content. The gen 4 games are still playable on the 3ds, so until a new ninento handled comes out, it's too early to speculate about a sinnoh remake imo.

Last edited:
I meant in terms of improvements not in overall game. Pss exactly an "improvement" since it's just filler content.

The PSS is an improvement, it's a huge improvement to Pokemon's online mode that allows you to interact with other players at any point. There's no real "content" to it, it makes it easier to trade and battle with people.

The gen 4 games are still playable on the 3ds, so until a new ninento handled comes out, it's too early to speculate about a sinnoh remake imo.

False. There's plenty of changes to the gameplay already that we can speculate about.

I think when DP remakes come along, the region and story differences alone will be enough, let alone gameplay and mechanic additions. We have no idea whst gen 7 will bring, if there is one, let alone the possibilities a further gen 8 would vring. Further more, NX and beyond will be auch more capable system, so who knows how muxh can change. If and when they do happen, I think contests and the BF will be removed, but infavor of somethingnew, or perhaps to tie into its Johto connections the return of Pokeathlon.
Amd in general remaking gen 4has huge possibilitiesnow with stuff like primals being introduced. Now the weather trio isn't just the creators of land and sea getting pissed off at each other, but creators of land and sea that can draw on the raw energy of the earth. Imagine what batshot insane stuf fDialga and Palkia can do with the spacetime equivalent, and perhaps a retoolong of Giratina Origin forme.

It definitely feels to early for a Gen IV remake, even speculating might be a bit soon (but at the same time, it's fun, so why not?)

Though I think the Distortion World should be included as a post-game thing, I don't think they necessarily have to bring in all the changed made in Platinum. I dunno, I always find it a bit hard, as often I equally like certain things. Like, I don't necessarily care whether we get Fantina as the 3rd or the 5th gym leader. But I do care about more exposition (like there was with that Cyrus speech in Platinum) And they absolutely should use Platinum's Dex

But considering by then we'll most likely have had a new pair of games, introducing new features the remakes also have to be compatible with, it's always gonna be a toss-up what the remakes will be like

and I definitely wouldn't want to see Fr/Lg or HG/SS be remade, at least not for a very, very long time. I mean, as others have said HG/SS is still pretty playable (yes, obviously it lacks newer features, but they do work on the 3DS and most content is completely accessible)

But if they would revisit Kanto, make it a sequel of some sorts. Make it happen simultaneously with the Kalos/BW2 events or maybe even after. Create a new (mini) region north of Kanto maybe. Actually, I forgot about the Sevii Islands. Show us what happened to them, cause in Fr/Lg, they had some problems with the ageing of the population, cause most of their young people were leaving for the mainland. Plus they had some crime issues and they're was the pre-formation of the Johto Team Rocket. Speaking of which, I wouldn't necessarily want to see Team Rocket return. Of course, a villainous team is part of the formula and one I def don't mind, but TR has been disbanded twice so far, so why would they be revived again?

Instead, they should probably introduce a new team. Introduce mega-evolution, and through dialogue of NPC's and other hints, reveal how it might have changed the events of the original. Maybe introduce some new pokemon to the region (if the remakes are set far after the originals, no one can complain, right? I mean, it isn't like they retconned the entire region or anything, but the originals are just in the past)

I'm also not very much in favour of introducing Johto into the mix, though they'd have to solve the Magnet-Train issue then somehow, but it could always be the project was discontinued after it ran for several years. Or maybe some force of nature (or legendary or whatever) wrecked Mt. Silver and the surrounding mt. range, changing the landscape there entirely and forcing the league to move elsewhere. By doing something like that, they could even have you follow an entire different route, maybe first go to Cinnabar or something (which could have been repopulated) That is, if Pallet Town remains the players hometown (it's pretty iconic though)

Somehow the focus shifted quite a lot towards Kanto remakes/revisits rather than D/P remakes XD But yeah, basically, I don't think it's time yet for either, though D/P remakes would be an option somewhere halfway the next gen or so

But eh, let's see how they'll wrap up this Gen first...

and I definitely wouldn't want to see Fr/Lg or HG/SS be remade, at least not for a very, very long time. I mean, as others have said HG/SS is still pretty playable (yes, obviously it lacks newer features, but they do work on the 3DS and most content is completely accessible)

But if they would revisit Kanto, make it a sequel of some sorts. Make it happen simultaneously with the Kalos/BW2 events or maybe even after. Create a new (mini) region north of Kanto maybe. Actually, I forgot about the Sevii Islands. Show us what happened to them, cause in Fr/Lg, they had some problems with the ageing of the population, cause most of their young people were leaving for the mainland. Plus they had some crime issues and they're was the pre-formation of the Johto Team Rocket. Speaking of which, I wouldn't necessarily want to see Team Rocket return. Of course, a villainous team is part of the formula and one I def don't mind, but TR has been disbanded twice so far, so why would they be revived again?

Instead, they should probably introduce a new team. Introduce mega-evolution, and through dialogue of NPC's and other hints, reveal how it might have changed the events of the original. Maybe introduce some new pokemon to the region (if the remakes are set far after the originals, no one can complain, right? I mean, it isn't like they retconned the entire region or anything, but the originals are just in the past)

I'm also not very much in favour of introducing Johto into the mix, though they'd have to solve the Magnet-Train issue then somehow, but it could always be the project was discontinued after it ran for several years. Or maybe some force of nature (or legendary or whatever) wrecked Mt. Silver and the surrounding mt. range, changing the landscape there entirely and forcing the league to move elsewhere. By doing something like that, they could even have you follow an entire different route, maybe first go to Cinnabar or something (which could have been repopulated) That is, if Pallet Town remains the players hometown (it's pretty iconic though)

I would like to revisit Kanto and Johto, but the Sinnoh remake comes first, cause the game has not been remade yet.
My problem with FRLG and HGSS, particularly is the pacing, also, are the only regions that were not made in 3d. And I agree with the sequel/prequel idea. Or maybe revisit Kanto or Johto in post games in the future generations, with a plot linked.

I just found an interview from Masuda and Ohmori, made by Euro Gamer Portugal. They specifically asked Masuda why did they choose Ruby and Sapphire for the remakes instead of Emerald.

I translated that one question from the interview.

This is what Masuda said:

I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.
And since they were such a special project for me, I was sure that I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire for these games. But they are not simple remakes. We added many elements, like Rayquaza, who had a big role in Pokemon Emerald, is also important in the remakes, additionally to the new elements we added, which I assure the fans will like.

This is the link to the interview in portuguese.

Entrevista Pokémon ORAS: Nova habilidade Soar, mega-evoluções, longevidade, New 3DS e o futuro • Eurogamer.pt

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB, he was the director of Crystal. He is the director of the original games since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understands the concept of remakes it seems.

Last edited:
I just found an interview from Masuda and Ohmori, made by Euro Gamer Portugal. They specifically asked Masuda why did they choose Ruby and Sapphire for the remakes instead of Emerald.

] I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.

And since they were such a special project for me, I was sure that I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire for these games. But they are not simple remakes. We added many elements, like Rayquaza, who had a big role in Pokemon Emerald, is also important in the remakes, additionally to the new elements, which I assure the fans will like.

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, Crystal, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB. He is the director since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understand the concept of remakes it seems.

If that's the case, then we won't see much of Platinum elements in DP remakes. This would mean no Distortion World, no pokedex expansion, no gym leader rematches or other things from Platinum. Although Giratina may receive the same treatment as Rayquaza, they won't use the plot for the main story of DP remakes and could result in the Distortion World to not exist for the games. In my opinion, that is a pretty stupid reason to have about the remakes but it is obvious that Masuda is going to continue doing this method of remakes.

] I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.

And since they were such a special project for me, I was sure that I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire for these games. But they are not simple remakes. We added many elements, like Rayquaza, who had a big role in Pokemon Emerald, is also important in the remakes, additionally to the new elements, which I assure the fans will like.

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, Crystal, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB. He is the director since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understand the concept of remakes it seems.

If that's the case, then we won't see much of Platinum elements in DP remakes. This would mean no Distortion World, no pokedex expansion, no gym leader rematches or other things from Platinum. Although Giratina may receive the same treatment as Rayquaza, they won't use the plot for the main story of DP remakes and could result in the Distortion World to not exist for the games. In my opinion, that is a pretty stupid reason to have about the remakes but it is obvious that Masuda is going to continue doing this method of remakes.

Yes, it is obvious that Masuda wants his games (original pairs) to get more attention and not get outshined by games he did not direct.

It is not a problem for me in ORAS, because many new features are added and they compense that, and Emerald elements are mentioned in many parts of the game. But for gen IV remakes, the Distortion World will surely be added for the "Delta Episode equivalent plot". A plot where you have to go to the Distortion World and stop some danger, like in Delta Episode we go to Space to stop Deoxys.

Last edited:
Im personally not liking this if its really the case. I enjoy remakes having some stuff from their third games of that generation. I was disappointed in the lack of Emerald features, and it was part of the reason ORAS was unsatisfying for me as a game. If this is what future remakes might be like, I might chose to forgo Gen IV remakes and onwards >_> its fine if others see different, but thats my opinion.

I think it really varies. In ORAS, I didn't miss most Emerald elements, except BF and Gym rematches. Those were the only ones. I was even delighted that I didn't have to fight twice as many useless, gameplay hindering grunts (both Team's grunts), like in Emerald. That was a positive for me.

Which absolutely doesn't mean I think future remakes won't benefit from more third game elements. I just think ORAS didn't need some of them, and is even better off without some (like the aforementioned double amount of grunts).

But gen IV should have the Dex Expansion and Distortion World, and Gym rematches. There is a lot they can do there. I hope they improve contests, because gen IV contests were boring imo.

Last edited:

I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.

Entrevista Pokémon ORAS: Nova habilidade Soar, mega-evoluções, longevidade, New 3DS e o futuro • Eurogamer.pt

Okay, if that's the case, then I have no respect left for Masuda. Not considering the additions to be an economic use of time and money is one thing, but intentionally downgrading the remakes because he didn't make the third versions? That's just plain childish and spiteful.

Eeeh... I hate agreeing with the negativity, but it does seem like all of the features and additions of Platinum would probably get pushed to the wayside in favor of the originals. Which is a damn shame, because out of all the third versions, Platinum had the largest amount good, significant changes to both the plot and the 'Dex, which fixed DP's woeful type diversity. Oh. And it also had a Battle Frontier.

*slides down in chair* Feels kinda hopeless now. Glad I still got Platinum itself at least...

But still didn't he remake HGSS despite not being their original director? I mean we all know that FRLG lacked all the Ash references since they were removed but why wouldn't he remove all the Suicuine stuff since he remade Gen 2 as well?
It just doesn't add up t all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom