• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But still didn't he remake HGSS despite not being their original director? I mean we all know that FRLG lacked all the Ash references since they were removed but why wouldn't he remove all the Suicuine stuff since he remade Gen 2 as well?
It just doesn't add up t all.
The first game Masuda directed was Crystal, and even then, not everything was carried over to HGSS.

But still didn't he remake HGSS despite not being their original director? I mean we all know that FRLG lacked all the Ash references since they were removed but why wouldn't he remove all the Suicuine stuff since he remade Gen 2 as well?
The first game Masuda directed was Crystal, and even then, not everything was carried over to HGSS.
Yeah we did get a random new female lead but all the Suicuine stuff was kept at least.
However the fact that he directed Crystal and not GS does serve as a contradiction to him wanting to only remake his own games.

I just found an interview from Masuda and Ohmori, made by Euro Gamer Portugal. They specifically asked Masuda why did they choose Ruby and Sapphire for the remakes instead of Emerald.

I translated that one question from the interview.

This is what Masuda said:

I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.
And since they were such a special project for me, I was sure that I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire for these games. But they are not simple remakes. We added many elements, like Rayquaza, who had a big role in Pokemon Emerald, is also important in the remakes, additionally to the new elements, which I assure the fans will like.

This is the link to the interview in portuguese.

Entrevista Pokémon ORAS: Nova habilidade Soar, mega-evoluções, longevidade, New 3DS e o futuro • Eurogamer.pt

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, Crystal, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB. He is the director since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understand the concept of remakes it seems.

You are wrong. Masuda is not the director of HGSS. But as Silktree said, he was the director of Crystal, so he wanted HIS innovations from Crystal in the remakes. It makes a lot of sense.

He directed Crystal and not GS: Crystal elements in the remakes.

He didn't direct Emerald, but directed RS: less Emerald elements in ORAS.

He didn't direct any gen1 version: no Yellow elements in FRLG

He directed DP and not Platinum: you guess.

He directed BW and not BW2: you guess.

Last edited:
I just found an interview from Masuda and Ohmori, made by Euro Gamer Portugal. They specifically asked Masuda why did they choose Ruby and Sapphire for the remakes instead of Emerald.

I was the director of the originals and it is a very special and memorable project for me.
And since they were such a special project for me, I was sure that I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire for these games. But they are not simple remakes. We added many elements, like Rayquaza, who had a big role in Pokemon Emerald, is also important in the remakes, additionally to the new elements, which I assure the fans will like.

Entrevista Pokémon ORAS: Nova habilidade Soar, mega-evoluções, longevidade, New 3DS e o futuro • Eurogamer.pt

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, Crystal, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB. He is the director since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understand the concept of remakes it seems.

RIP my interest for Gen IV remakes. If they are making the same fault like OR/AS or FR/LG and left out the most third version improvements, then I won't buy another flawed Sinnoh game like the originals.

Okay, if that's the case, then I have no respect left for Masuda. Not considering the additions to be an economic use of time and money is one thing, but intentionally downgrading the remakes because he didn't make the third versions? That's just plain childish and spiteful.

Uncomfortably, I agree. That stance is kind of...douchey. Like, screw what the fans want and what actually worked, it's all about what I want.

I really hope something was lost in translation there, because I've always liked Masuda's appreciation for his fans and the way he interacts with us.

Platinum was what made me love the Sinnoh region. It's probably my favourite Pokemon game ever - I bought it 3 times, for crying out loud. If they don't use at least small parts of it in the eventual DP remakes, I worry how great (or not) they'll turn out to be.

Okay, if that's the case, then I have no respect left for Masuda. Not considering the additions to be an economic use of time and money is one thing, but intentionally downgrading the remakes because he didn't make the third versions? That's just plain childish and spiteful.

Uncomfortably, I agree. That stance is kind of...douchey. Like, screw what the fans want and what actually worked, it's all about what I want.

I really hope something was lost in translation there, because I've always liked Masuda's appreciation for his fans and the way he interacts with us.

Platinum was what made me love the Sinnoh region. It's probably my favourite Pokemon game ever - I bought it 3 times, for crying out loud. If they don't use at least small parts of it in the eventual DP remakes, I worry how great (or not) they'll turn out to be.

My translation from Portuguese to English is accurate, that I assure you :p Japanese to Portuguese? Could be a mistranslation from the Portuguese guys, but I doubt it. He just feels like he does all the hard work (creating the games) and then they get outshined when third versions are released, improving on all his hard work. So in the remakes, he wanted to give some more shine to the original story. Again, imo ORAS didn't suffer from that, thanks to the Delta Episode and many, many new features like Soaring or Dex Nav, etc. But Gen IV remakes could suffer from it, if he was very strict to the original paired games. I am sure the main story will be DP's story, but I am sure he will honour Platinum with the alternate world of Gitatina in the post game, just like Rayquaza got honoured in Delta Episode. The difference is Emerald didn't really expand RS Dex, while Platinum does expand DP's. And this I suppose is going to be in the remakes too.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what the next handheld system will be. I happen to like my 3ds. I know it's reaching the end of it's "lifespan" but seriously, what could they replace it with?

You are wrong. Masuda is not the director of HGSS. But as Silktree said, he was the director of Crystal, so he wanted HIS innovations from Crystal in the remakes. It makes a lot of sense.

But apparently not even everything was carried over from Crystal aside from the Suicuine stuff. I'd assumed only the pairs would be remade so that GF could make more money off of the products.

But apparently not even everything was carried over from Crystal aside from the Suicuine stuff. I'd assumed only the pairs would be remade so that GF could make more money off of the products.

Well, of course, they are still remakes of the paired games, not the third version. And of course, Crystal had less improvements from Gold and Silver, than Emerald and Platinum from their respective pairs.

But I think his pride has to do with it too. He included the Suicune plot in HGSS only because it's probably something he came up with when making Crystal.

But ultimately, I think they do include third version elements that they think will improve their sales, but try to keep them relatively low. And I mean, it's just how they like their games.

Last edited:

Well, of course, they are still remakes of the paired games, not the third version. And of course, Crystal had less improvements from Gold and Silver, than Emerald and Platinum from their respective pairs.

But I think his pride has to do with it too. He included the Suicune plot in HGSS only because it's probably something he came up with when making Crystal.
I don't know hombre. I feel like this article is kind of being taken out of context, I mean when the orginal R\S came out Masuda's life was altered suddenly he had a kid, and on top of that Hoenn was based of a region in Japan that he spent a lot of his childhood in so maybe that's what he means by a special project. I don't think the dude is a spiteful egotist that only cares about his own work.

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB, he was the director of Crystal. He is the director of the original games since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understands the concept of remakes it seems.
1) maybe it's because i haven't touched my Crystal copy in a while but, i'm at least 88 percent certain that Masuda's first game directed was Ruby and Sapphire. (he was simply a composer for Crystal and Assistant Director for Gold and Silver.) assuming so, it does make sense for him to want Ruby and Sapphire remade: they're his first games.

2) one instance (ie., RS being remade into ORAS with little from Emerald), does not really establish a theory. in the case of ORAS, the only thing that you could really add without thinking from Emerald is the gym leader rematches and the Battle Frontier. storyline elements can't be included because then it's not really a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, and other locations such as the Desert Underpass and Artisan Cave have become incredibly redundant in their original forms and would need some substantial overhaul so as to be at least only marginally redundant. (seriously, even with all the fossils available in it, the Desert Underpass would be so redundant thanks to the GTS and the fact that Glittering Cave does the same thing.)

3) aside from the small increase in sales from doing paired games, there's really very little incentive to remake Emerald. firstly, Emerald is already kind of a remake; and secondly, a remake of Emerald would practically just be a graphically updated port to the 3DS with some tweaking and modern generational features (ie., Mega Evolution, Day and Night, etc) added. that is to essentially say that Emerald (and Platinum and other third versions) are already fairly complete games with few glaring issues and even fewer actually fixable issues. with RS (and other original pairs), there's at least the opportunity to take new approaches to fixing their original problems.

I think this pretty much proves my theory about Masuda wanting HIS games remade (and he directs the original pairs, not the Emerald, Platinum, Yellow, B2W2, etc). We should therefore expect the same treatment for gen IV, V, etc. The third games get honoured, like Emerald, but are not central to the remakes.

But, Gen II remakes included more Crystal elements! That's cause Masuda wasn't the director of the original GS or RGB, he was the director of Crystal. He is the director of the original games since Gen III. I mean, Masuda remade Gen I. Did he include Yellow features there? No. That's how he understands the concept of remakes it seems.
1) maybe it's because i haven't touched my Crystal copy in a while but, i'm at least 88 percent certain that Masuda's first game directed was Ruby and Sapphire. (he was simply a composer for Crystal and Assistant Director for Gold and Silver.) assuming so, it does make sense for him to want Ruby and Sapphire remade: they're his first games.

2) one instance (ie., RS being remade into ORAS with little from Emerald), does not really establish a theory. in the case of ORAS, the only thing that you could really add without thinking from Emerald is the gym leader rematches and the Battle Frontier. storyline elements can't be included because then it's not really a remake of Ruby and Sapphire, and other locations such as the Desert Underpass and Artisan Cave have become incredibly redundant in their original forms and would need some substantial overhaul so as to be at least only marginally redundant. (seriously, even with all the fossils available in it, the Desert Underpass would be so redundant thanks to the GTS and the fact that Glittering Cave does the same thing.)

3) aside from the small increase in sales from doing paired games, there's really very little incentive to remake Emerald. firstly, Emerald is already kind of a remake; and secondly, a remake of Emerald would practically just be a graphically updated port to the 3DS with some tweaking and modern generational features (ie., Mega Evolution, Day and Night, etc) added. that is to essentially say that Emerald (and Platinum and other third versions) are already fairly complete games with few glaring issues and even fewer actually fixable issues. with RS (and other original pairs), there's at least the opportunity to take new approaches to fixing their original problems.

1) I thought so too, but Silktree said heis first games is Crystal. Even then, RS are always gonna be his most special project, because they were his first original games, where he "created" the whole game world, region, characters, etc.

Still, he remade gen1 and added NOTHING from Yellow. This is significan by itself. Adding a following you Pikachu would have cost nothing, for example. He just wanted the original spirit. I would say it is his general style of remaking.

2) Completely agree with all your points.

3) You are completely right. And this is the exact reason why I kinda understand why he prefers to remake original pairs. They benefit greatly from being remade. Much more than third games would.

Last edited:

1) I thought so too, but Silktree said heis first games is Crystal. Even then, RS are always gonna be his most special project, because they were his first original games, where he "created" the whole game world, region, characters, etc.

Still, he remade gen1 and added NOTHING from Yellow. This is significan by itself. Adding a following you Pikachu would have costed nothing, for example. He just wanted the original spirit.
In my post I pointed out why the games may have been special to him and it's for sentimental reasons.
Moreover Yellow was only made to cash in on the anime success so in other words it isn't the third sister game ( That's Blue). By the time FR\LG were in development the anime had dropped pretty hard in popularity so it'd make little sense to make a game based around the anime yet again

Blue is the European brand name for Green, not a similar game. And Yellow elements wouldn't make FRLG less appealing.

The truth is, Masuda doesn't like to remake Emerald, Platinum, etc because they are kinda remakes already.

Blue is the European brand name for Green, not a similar game. And Yellow elements wouldn't make FRLG less appealing.
Green and Blue are not the same games and Blue is not just a renaming of Green. the international Red and Blue versions are actually based off of the Japanese Blue version's engine with the same version exclusives as the original Red and Green.

as for adding Yellow features, there really aren't all that many. the only standout feature is the Pikachu following you, which, since you don't get one for free and they're fairly rare in Viridian Forest and you can't get them easily until the Power Plant (ie., after you fight Koga), becomes a greatly diminishing return. other features such as anime-based teams and being able to obtain all starters (like Ash in the anime) really blur the line between a Yellow remake or a Red and Green remake.

Green and Blue are not the same games and Blue is not just a renaming of Green. the international Red and Blue versions are actually based off of the Japanese Blue version's engine with the same version exclusives as the original Red and Green.

as for adding Yellow features, there really aren't all that many. the only standout feature is the Pikachu following you, which, since you don't get one for free and they're fairly rare in Viridian Forest and you can't get them easily until the Power Plant (ie., after you fight Koga), becomes a greatly diminishing return. other features such as anime-based teams and being able to obtain all starters (like Ash in the anime) really blur the line between a Yellow remake or a Red and Green remake.

I agree, but Blue is still not a different game from Red and Green.

And you could have your starter to walk with you instead. I am sure Masuda thought about it but yet prefered to exclude ṭhe feature. Because it wasn't in RBG, I suppose.

Last edited:

And you could have your starter to walk with you instead. I am sure Masuda thought about it but yet prefered to exclude ṭhe feature. Because it wasn't in RBG, I suppose.
It's still their sister game though and it fixed many of the glitches that the original. As for Yellow that's kind of been explained that it wouldn't make sense due to the massive nose dive the anime took in popularity .

It's still their sister game though and it fixed many of the glitches that the original. As for Yellow that's kind of been explained that it wouldn't make sense due to the massive nose dive the anime took in popularity .

Having your starter walking bahind you, would in no way have had a bad reception from fans, even if the anime was doing poorly.

Having your starter walking bahind you, would in no way have had a bad reception from fans, even if the anime was doing poorly.
But up until that point Pikachu was the only Pokémon that was capable of doing no other Pokémon could.

But up until that point Pikachu was the only Pokémon that was capable of doing no other Pokémon could.

Making an overworld sprite for the starters wouldn't have supposed a big effort for them. But again, why, when it wasn't in the originals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom