• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General XenForo Issues/Glitches/Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting all of my issues that haven't been fixed yet. I don't really like how quoting works either, it wouldn't be possible to have a direct quote option alongside multiquote like on the old forum by any chance?
I'm not sure what you mean by a direct quote. Just quoting a single person? That's done by hitting reply on whatever post you want to quote.

Could you give some more detail please? Who has it not worked for when you've tried to mention them? Are there any particular areas (specific forums, blogs, profile messages, etc) it's always working or always not-working?

The mention you gave me in the other thread didn't alert me either, but Leggo's did earlier in the same thread.

Hm. This 2 Blog limit a day seems very restrictive. It appears to be another thing inherent to the forum settings. A bit more alarmingly is what the board seems to qualify a day as. 24 hours? Doesn't seem like it at all, because I posted only one in the last 24 hours as of this post and it isn't letting me post another.

Last edited:
Hm. This 2 Blog limit a day seems very restrictive. It appears to be another thing inherent to the forum settings. A bit more alarmingly is what the board seems to qualify a day as. 24 hours? Doesn't seem like it at all, because I posted only one in the last 24 hours as of this post and it isn't letting me post another.
Yeah it's saying the same thing for me as well.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should remove person-to-person profile posts from that little box on the side.

As part of an on going Mafia game in The War Room, I had tagged all my players, including @TheCapsFan;. He reported in a follow up post that the mention didn't seem to work.

To be a bit clearer, He didn't seem to get the alert for it. It was clickable however.
I'll take a look into it. Please omit the ; at the end of mentions, they're not needed anymore. Don't know if that'll fix it, but certainly worth looking into.

Can we get 'Gender' to show up on the side of posts again? I ask only because it helps keeping people from misgendering us.
Yes, but not immediately. Our implementation of genders on vBulletin required a bit of modification, and XenForo will be no different. The only problem this time is that we can't simply use an off-the-shelf addon for it.

That gender field has been a massive problem during our setup of this XenForo. By default, XenForo only supports 3 options for gender. "Male", "Female" or "Not Specified" (i.e. leaving it blank). Obviously, that was not acceptable. We actually had to install a XenForo addon to make that field go away so that we could replace it with our own. If you look through XenForo addons there is an alternative one which renders that field into a text field, but that wasn't optimal either. Firstly because it had the potential to break some other addons, and secondly because then we wouldn't be able to put graphics next to your genders.

Also, sections of the forum need to be collapsible. I've seen this feature on other XenForo forums, but it doesn't save the setting, I'd like for it to be done right here, please?
I'll take a look into it. I believe that's done via addons rather than a base setting, but a common feature like that should be using a free one, so it shouldn't be too hard. If it is a base setting, I'll have it up within the hour.

Could somebody explain what do we have to do with our passswords please? Do we need to change our bulbagarden password? And what if we don't? Will you lose access to the account?
All that needs to be done is for you to make sure your email address is current, and that it accepts emails from bulbagarden.net. If you need to check that, just subscribe with email notifications to a thread for a little while, and see if those end up in your inbox, your junk mail, or whatever.

I mean when you're previewing a post you're making, you can't view the most recent posts in the thread you're replying to by scrolling down like you used to be able to.
I'll look into it, but if it's not a base setting I need to tweak, then I'm afraid there might not be anything we can do here. A few quick searches haven't uncovered any XenForo addons which would do this.

I'll look into it. Blogs weren't the biggest priority while we were going through this rushed setup (before the old server security issues we weren't even planning to start the move until November 20th), so it's no surprise there's a few things still wonky there.
Having said that...how many blogs do you need to post a day?

I'll look into it. Blogs weren't the biggest priority while we were going through this rushed setup (before the old server security issues we weren't even planning to start the move until November 20th), so it's no surprise there's a few things still wonky there.
Having said that...how many blogs do you need to post a day?

I think 5 should be a nice maxima if one exists. As in, it's unlikely anyone will ever have to post more than that in the craziest of cases. Also I still can't post any even though I haven't posted any in 24 hours, so who knows what's up with it at this point?

Another issue that's popped up for me: remember how Pavell was concerned about visitor messages being lost because of some fic reviews being there? Hi, I'm the one responsible for that and many more! But the limit on them on this board at present: 420 (smoke VMs ev'ry day). Nowhere near enough. Limit used to be 2000, which still kinda wasn't enough, but still. You also can't post links in them.

This thread is not for bugfix requests, or for requests for us to change XenForo's settings, or for any other minor issues with the forum. For that, please go to the General XenForo Issues/Glitches/Ideas Thread

XenForo has a strongly dedicated community of creators working on modifications and addons. Unlike vBulletin, the central hub of modifications is not on a separate website, it's actually supported by the official website for the software. What this means is that it's generally going to be easier and safer for us to install addons here than it might have been on vBulletin.

So, if there's anything you see on that list there that you think would make a good addition to our forums, just let us know. Don't just post links though. Tell us why you think it'd be a good idea, make the case for it. Be sure to check that it's compatible with the most recent versions of XenForo as well!

Last edited:
I think 5 should be a nice maxima if one exists. As in, it's unlikely anyone will ever have to post more than that in the craziest of cases. Also I still can't post any even though I haven't posted any in 24 hours, so who knows what's up with it at this point?
Limit of 5 has now been set.

Another issue that's popped up for me: remember how Pavell was concerned about visitor messages being lost because of some fic reviews being there? Hi, I'm the one responsible for that and many more! But the limit on them on this board at present: 420 (smoke VMs ev'ry day). Nowhere near enough. Limit used to be 2000, which still kinda wasn't enough, but still. You also can't post links in them.
I'll look into it. You might want to just use conversations for it rather than profile messages.
Links will NOT be coming back to profile messages, since it's a source of spam that's not easily policed by mods.

This modification for sure as I've been reading that people do not want their VMs to be visible on the sidebar on the front page of the forum. Not sure what's the latest version of XenForo. This one is for 1.5.x.

This one (1.1.3) allows for moods to be set which I think would be nice to have, so we can know how a member is feeling today at the moment.
In the case that someone wants to be left alone, having moods can let others know that they want to be left alone.

Setting gender as a text field (1.1.2) would be nice to have as the previous BMGf gender options didn't seem very inclusive as there might have been people who didn't identify with M/F/Transgender (it's an umbrella term)/Uncertain/Genderless.

This one (1.0.2) would be cool to have as it works like a Google Doodle, so let's say that BMGf has some kind of special event, this mod allows for a special temporary logo/banner to be set on a certain day.

This one (up to 1.4) allows for the best answer to be voted for. This could be useful when someone makes a thread for questions and for future reference.

This modification for sure as I've been reading that people do not want their VMs to be visible on the sidebar on the front page of the forum. Not sure what's the latest version of XenForo. This one is for 1.5.x.
Not needed. We've already removed that block from the sidebar.

This one (1.1.3) allows for moods to be set which I think would be nice to have, so we can know how a member is feeling today at the moment.
In the case that someone wants to be left alone, having moods can let others know that they want to be left alone.
Not updated since 2012, so potential compatibility issues. Not convinced it would see wide usage.

Setting gender as a text field (1.1.2) would be nice to have as the previous BMGf gender options didn't seem very inclusive as there might have been people who didn't identify with M/F/Transgender (it's an umbrella term)/Uncertain/Genderless.
Will not be used. That's the modification I referred to us trying out in another thread. It would cause problems for other things we have installed. We are open to extending the terminology we use for the gender field when we do re-implement it, but the basic idea of how we implemented it won't change.

This one (1.0.2) would be cool to have as it works like a Google Doodle, so let's say that BMGf has some kind of special event, this mod allows for a special temporary logo/banner to be set on a certain day.
Will run it by our skins team and consider.

This one (up to 1.4) allows for the best answer to be voted for. This could be useful when someone makes a thread for questions and for future reference.
Paid addon, and incompatible with current version. Which is strange since it got an update yesterday.
Not a priority, may consider in future but not something we plan on implementing at this moment.

I'm not sure what you mean by a direct quote. Just quoting a single person? That's done by hitting reply on whatever post you want to quote.

Ah cool, it hadn't even occured to me this would quote, idk why not. Thanks!

I'm just wondering if the threads from the Pokemon character and saga discussion subforum were supposed to be mixed up with the other threads in the Pokemon anime and manga forum?
We noticed that happening in F&G. A couple of Warroom threads showed up in F&G even though they were still in the war room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom