• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you would have wanted to see evolve?

Which of Ash's Pokemon Would You Have Liked to have seen evolve?

• Ash's Pikachu into Raichu

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Ash's Bulbasaur into Ivysaur then Venusaur

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Ash's Squirtle into Wartortle then Blastoise

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Ash's Bayleef into Meganium

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Ash's Quilava into Typhlosion

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Ash's Totodile into Croconaw then Feraligatr

• Ash's Corphish into Crawdunt

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Ash's Buizel into Floatzel

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Ash's Gible into Gabite then Garchomp

• Ash's Multiple Unevolved Unova Pokemon into full evolved forms

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

owenpeterson

Reaction score
One of the key elements to becoming a successful Pokemon trainer is having their Pokemon reach their full potential. And of course the key is evolution. Unfortunately once again those in charge of the Pokemon Anime at times choose to deny this for marketing and/or reasons hard to understand.

In the context of the show, one reason is stubborn species pride, Ash's Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Dawn's Piplup, the Team Rocket Meowth, etc. all suffer from this. They have too much pride in their own preevolved states to even consider evolving. Now these sorts of beliefs made sense early on. But as the series progressed, they STILL haven't evolved and one would have hoped that the stubborn pride may have worn off a little.

Another reason from an out of context point of view is for the sake of Ash and his friends to be labeled as underdogs. I don't need to go into detail about how much this annoys me. Ash should be past the underdog point and a true contender, and so should all of his Pokemon.

The final reason is from a marketing standpoint, which I don't need to go into since this is always been a reason why Ash doesn't have a Raichu.

Other Pokemon have no reason at all why they don't evolve certain Pokemon. I mean, Why doesn't Ash's Squirtle evolve into a Wartortle and then a Blastoise? Or why not have his Bayleef evolve into a Meganium?How about having his Quilava become a Typhlosion? I see no reason why they couldn't have Totodile evolve into a Croconaw and eventually a Feraligatr. How about having his Pignite become an Emboar?

How about his friends' Pokemon? Why wouldn't they have Brock's Geodude evolve into a Graveler, let alone a Golem? How about Misty's Goldeen evolving into Seaking? I'll bet she'd love to have her Psyduck evolve into a Golduck for real this time.

I could go on. So here is a poll asking which of Ash's Pokemon of previous generations would you liked to have seen evolve. I'm not including Kalos because chances are too high at this point that they will get to their fully evolved forms eventually. So I'm talking about Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova.

Note: There were only a maximum of 10 selections of the for the sites poll. The number of poll choices aren't big enough to select ALL of Ash's individual unevolved Pokemon, so I had the Unova Pokemon in general as a choice of it's own.

Also, Why do you think they prevent those Pokemon from evolving anyway? This also applies to the Pokemon of his friends such as Misty, Brock, Tracey, May, Dawn, Iris and Cilan.

Squirtle so it can't go back to the Squirtle Squad and stays at the Lab with the rest of the Kanto team.

Totodile, poor little guy is the only Johto starter who didn't evolve. And Ash promised to evolve him into a Feralitgatr one day!

Pignite and Quilava..... come on! Ash's Fire types are supposed to be fully evolved

Gible, would have been awesome!

Snivy, should have at least become a Servine

Palpitoad, what was the reason not to? Oshawott clearly wasn't going to. A fully evolved Water type would have been great for the team.

Boldore, because Gigalith looks better and more fierce.

Cilan's Pansage.

Iris' Axew, some dragon master. Axew wanted to evolve. Instead a Dragonite was handed to her on a silver platter.

Jame's Yamask. Could have been the gag Pokemon of that region

If only Pocchama had evolved it would have spared us all SO much pain in DP.

If only Pocchama had evolved it would have spared us all SO much pain in DP.
Only if it went all the way to Empoleon. Having Empoleon with Piplup's personality would have been amazing.

I can't stand Prinplup though. It's just...not aesthetically pleasing.

Every single one of them. Pokémon are meant to evolve.

In the context of the show, one reason is stubborn species pride, Ash's Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Dawn's Piplup, the Team Rocket Meowth, etc. all suffer from this. They have too much pride in their own preevolved states to even consider evolving. Now these sorts of beliefs made sense early on. But as the series progressed, they STILL haven't evolved and one would have hoped that the stubborn pride may have worn off a little.

So, not wanting to change who they are is a matter of pride and not personal preference? There is a sense of pride in there, but they just don't want to evolve. It's as simple as that and dismissing that as just being too prideful doesn't seem right to me. It seems to ignore/downplay why they don't want to evolve. Evolving for Pokemon is a pretty big deal. Not only do they change physically, but their personalities can change as well. If they're happy in their current form, why would they want to change, especially when there's no guarantee that they would be exactly the same after evolving? Some Pokemon do retain the same basic personality traits after evolving, but others don't. It seems a bit harsh to brush off their desire to not evolve as simply being too prideful and saying that they should have become less stubborn about evolving now.

Both Pikachu and Piplup are good examples of Pokemon who are happy with their current forms. They didn't want to change and wanted to keep getting stronger as they are with their trainers. That sounds more like just personal preference than having too much stubborn pride and claiming otherwise just feels too harsh to me. Meowth might be a better argument to make that claim, but he downright hates Perisan, so he wouldn't evolve into one. With Ash's Bulbasaur and Squritle, I just assumed that neither one of them wanted to evolve since they were both abandoned and Bulbasaur refused to evolve when it could have. Pikachu and Piplup are examples of how to handle a Pokemon refusing to evolve done well in my opinion though.

Every single one of them. Pokémon are meant to evolve.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Even in the games, players can decided whether or not they want their Pokemon to evolve for various reasons. I do prefer to evolve my Pokemon, but there are some people who are fine with a team of unevolved Pokemon. In the anime, they are treated more like living creatures than they are in the games, so they would have their own desires and preferences. I don't think I'd want to ignore that in favor of just forcing them to evolve.

With all of that said, there were a few Pokemon that I would have liked to see evolve. I would have liked for Ash's Quilava to evolve at least back in Johto. I'm still surprised that they didn't do that. Getting a Typhlosion would have been neat since that was my first fully evolved starter Pokemon, but having a Quilava earlier would have been neat. Buizel evolving would have been cool since it was one of Ash's best Water types and it would have given him a team almost entirely made of evolved Pokemon. Oshawott evolving at least into Dewott would have been cool. It would have been stronger, but still have some marketable cuteness.

If I may focus on some of Ash's friends Pokemon for a bit. One reason might be in regards to Misty's Psyduck not actually evolving into a Golduck is because if Psyduck actually did evolve at some point, then it might take away the comic relief aspect to Psyduck's character. But then again it might have already done so offscreen. I can also imagine her with a Seadra and then a Kingdra as well. As for my earlier request regarding Goldeen becoming a Seaking, It should be noted that Misty hardly ever used her Goldeen.

Brock has had his Geodude since his days as Pewter City Gym Leader. It never gave any indication of not wanting to evolve. What's wrong with Brock having a Golem, or at least a Graveler. And I see no reason why his Marshtomp can't evolve into a Swarmpart.

Is there any reason why May's Wartortle hasn't become a Blastoise yet? How about having her Skitty become a Delcatty? No reason why her Munchlax shouldn't become a Snorlax.

I think it's been established that Dawn has a personal preference for cute Pokemon, yet she's had some evolution among members of her team as well. Piplup's already been discussed, but what's wrong with Buneary evolving into a Lopunny? Why not have BOTH hers AND Ash's Quilava each evolve into Typhlosion.

Iris' Axew, some dragon master. Axew wanted to evolve. Instead a Dragonite was handed to her on a silver platter.

I agree, I see no reason why Iris wouldn't want a Fraxure or a Haxorus.

What's wrong with Cilan having a Simisage?

Meowth might be a better argument to make that claim, but he downright hates Perisan, so he wouldn't evolve into one.

Now I forget, are you talking about Persian in general or just the Persian owned by Giovanni? If it was the latter, than there's no reason why it couldn't just evolve into one just to one up Giovanni's Persian.

If I may focus on some of Ash's friends Pokemon for a bit. One reason might be in regards to Misty's Psyduck not actually evolving into a Golduck is because if Psyduck actually did evolve at some point, then it might take away the comic relief aspect to Psyduck's character. But then again it might have already done so offscreen. I can also imagine her with a Seadra and then a Kingdra as well. As for my earlier request regarding Goldeen becoming a Seaking, It should be noted that Misty hardly ever used her Goldeen.

Brock has had his Geodude since his days as Pewter City Gym Leader. It never gave any indication of not wanting to evolve. What's wrong with Brock having a Golem, or at least a Graveler. And I see no reason why his Marshtomp can't evolve into a Swarmpart.

I doubt that they wanted Psyduck to evolve because it's the comedy relief, although it would have been neat if Misty had captured a Golduck at least. I couldn't picture her with Seadra or Kingdra, but they weren't interested in doing anything with Horsea after it's debut, which was a shame given its capture episode was pretty good. Goldeen also pretty much did nothing but lose in nearly all of its battles, so it's no surprise that it never evolved.

Brock's Geodude also didn't have any personality, so why would having a Graveler or Golem with no personality be any better? Brock wasn't a battler and most of his Pokemon faded into the background, so I don't think it would have been important for him to get more evolved Pokemon. Although, I always thought that they missed an opportunity by not giving him a Swampert just so that all fully evolved starters would be in the cast by the end of AG.

owenpeterson said:
Is there any reason why May's Wartortle hasn't become a Blastoise yet? How about having her Skitty become a Delcatty? No reason why her Munchlax shouldn't become a Snorlax.

I think it's been established that Dawn has a personal preference for cute Pokemon, yet she's had some evolution among members of her team as well. Piplup's already been discussed, but what's wrong with Buneary evolving into a Lopunny? Why not have BOTH hers AND Ash's Quilava each evolve into Typhlosion.

We haven't even seen May since the Wallace Cup, so for all we know, she could have a Blastoise. Having her Squirtle evolve once was reasonable enough given all of the experience it had and I don't see the point of complaining about that case anyway. Skitty evolving into Delcatty would require a Moon Stone, so it's possible that it doesn't want to evolve or May doesn't want to force it to evolve. I don't see the point of Muchlax evolving, especially when that would make it more difficult to be used in Contest appeals and battles.

Buneary evolving into Lopunny would be nice just because it faded into the background after awhile, but I don't see the point of complaining about her Quilava not evolving into Typhlosion. I can understand being upset over some of the Pokemon that didn't evolve. There are a few Pokemon that I'm disappointed never evolved, but at this point, it just comes off like you're complaining about every single Pokemon that isn't fully evolved on the cast, regardless of whether or not it makes sense. Even when some Pokemon have evolved once, that still isn't enough apparently. Not every Pokemon should evolve in the anime just because they can. If that happens, then the evolutions wouldn't really mean anything anymore and there's a good chance there would be a few forced ones.

owenpeterson said:
Now I forget, are you talking about Persian in general or just the Persian owned by Giovanni? If it was the latter, than there's no reason why it couldn't just evolve into one just to one up Giovanni's Persian.

I'm pretty sure Meowth hates all Persian, not just the one owned by Giovanni. I remember a few times that another Persian appeared/was mentioned and that made Meowth upset. Even if it was just Giovanni's Persian, there would be a reason as to why it wouldn't evolve just to one up Giovanni's Persian. I believe that Meowth has mentioned that he wants to gain Giovanni's favor as a Meowth, not a Persian. You might as well expect Pikachu to evolve into Raichu in order to one up another Raichu given that it would be an extremely strong Raichu. While it's possible that Meowth evolving into Persian would one up Giovanni's, that would miss the point. Meowth wants Giovanni to like him as he is, not because he's a Persian. Just like Pikachu wants to get stronger as it is instead of evolving in order to do so.

I would have to see Gible evolve at least once. Quilava evolving into Typhlosion would be nice. Pignite should have been the starter to fully evolve in Unova.

I See Ash's Bulbasaur Squirtle Bayleef Quilava Totodile Corphish Buizel Gible & most his Unova Pokémon will all evolve someday but not Pikachu will all know that Pikachu will never evolve should just learn new moves

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom