• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY099: Welcome to the Ninja Village! The Legend of the Heroic Gekkouga!!

Well, the best part of the whole episode is... the completely unrelated to plot additional scene (likely because the episode ended in a cliff hanger). Santa Froakie? Count me in!

To be fair it doesn't mean this episode is bad or something, but it make me worry even more. Damn when is Ash and Frogadier's trial going to start? Or its jut going to be 'BOOM ASH GRENINJA, NO EXPLANATION'. I am really really worried now.

But hey Grumpuni-chan is doing good in this episode, when Sanpei is hungry Puni-chan is like 'Meh' and the face is totally unimpressed. I laughed badly at that.

Btw, someone really has to tell Sanpei that taking a Solar Beam right to the face (literally, it was right on the face) is not good for his Greninja's health, both mentally and physically...........

Some may not agree with me, but this episode was intense by the end, and the music used at that the end was my favorite, i know what is going to happen next week, but it still got me excited

This episode looks great. Ninjas are awesome, Greninja is amazing, and it's nice to see Sanpei's brothers after they were mentioned way back during Sanpei's debut. Too bad Saizō isn't here in person but at least he got a flashback. Maybe he'll show up for the big battle in the next episode but I'm doubting it. WTF moment: so the female ninja appears to be an old hag in reality. Lolwut.

Can't wait for the conclusion next week, couldn't hope for a better birthday episode ^~^

Damn when is Ash and Frogadier's trial going to start? Or its jut going to be 'BOOM ASH GRENINJA, NO EXPLANATION'. I am really really worried now.

No one said that there was going to be a trial that the end result was Ash Greninja.

What was likely meant, was that Ash Greninja is a form that needs to be perfected, and while it seems to have happened in the next episode, doesn't mean it will be consistent or perfected.

Or it could just be referring to the guy's Bisharp, and wasn't meant to be taken as something Ash and Greninja have to overcome to become/perfect the Ash Greninja form, but just to trigger it happening.

This episode looks great. Ninjas are awesome, Greninja is amazing, and it's nice to see Sanpei's brothers after they were mentioned way back during Sanpei's debut. Too bad Saizō isn't here in person but at least he got a flashback. Maybe he'll show up for the big battle in the next episode but I'm doubting it. WTF moment: so the female ninja appears to be an old hag in reality. Lolwut.

Can't wait for the conclusion next week, couldn't hope for a better birthday episode ^~^

Saizo's VA is listed so I can't imagine why he wouldn't show up in person next episode.

What a fab episode! A really cool setting with a lot of great CotDs and super thematic music (at least a couple of pieces which I didn't recognise at all). The village elder and the mutton-dressed-as-lamb in particular were hilarious throughout. I also truly got drawn into the story, which I wasn't expecting as I really don't care that much about Sanpei/ninjas/Satoshi-Gekouga. Looking forward to next week :)

Dedenne is fast becoming a favourite with me - it is so stupid it makes my heart hurt with love. I also love how Puni-chan, far from being cute as I had expected, is like a wise old master in a small green body, haha!

Keromatsu Claus at the end though <3 May Ookido's lecture never return - whatever the quality of the preceding episode these short pieces have been brilliant without exception!

Hi guys! I loved this episode for multiple reasons: ONE- Ash got a fatty if ya know what I mean ;)
TWO- My nigga ash is lookin fine as hell in that outfit
THREE- The music was cool

Well well well, Japanese version. Well met after all this time...

Yep, I'm briefly returning to this version just for this arc (which will unfortunately probably be over by the next episode). Then I'll be gone until another attention-grabber arrives.

I think I picked a good first XYZ episode to see (no joke; I've never seen any of XY&Z (except for the opening) until now), to be honest. This was a rather exciting episode. A good balance between exploration and action was found by this one, and I give props to that.

To even my own surprise, Zygarde Core's/Squishy's voice didn't annoy me.

The soundtrack was good up until it recycled this P.O.S. for Haxorus man's attack (I regard the Japanese Diancie movie soundtrack to be the bottom of the Pokemon anime OST barrel anyway, but still). But that was just one soundtrack slip-up among much better choices.

Also, in that Pokemon Shuffle commercial, were those three ladies different people, or did it pull a "The Parent Trap" (1961) on us?

In general, I enjoyed this. And when the dub of this one arrives, I'll love it even more.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one who caught the Tsunade(Naruto) reference, right?

The part when the ninja aide(wife?) lady turned into an old woman? She might have done it just to spook Bonnie, but Tsunade from Naruto immediately came into mind. Since she uses a technique to make herself look a lot younger than she really is. Lol.

Overall a very well put episode. I'm all ready 100% sure next weeks episode will top this one.

The Ash Greninja hype is real!

P.S. Team Rocket, though. I don't understand why they were included in this episode. I guess they need to be present during these two episodes in order to witness Frogadier become Ash Greninja.

Last edited:
Finally got to watch the episode. It was pretty cool, and it's nice to finally see Sanpei's village.

I'm glad Bonnie wore her ninja outfit again. Lol, at that old man flirting with the young chick. Is he trying to be Jiraiya? The hell, what is it with these people transforming into logs? Nice to see another proposal. I've said this a million times, but I really like how they space this gag out. It doesn't seem nearly as overdone and annoying. WTF the chick is old too? I don't even know what to believe. At least that would make the flirting seem less creepy.

The battle was okay for it's length. But was that Night Slash actually just a purple version of the new cut? Well, I guess it sort of makes sense. Guess that'll make it much more likely to give to Ash's Greninja later on if he actually does learn it. Wow, this village really loves vanishing techniques. OMG, how Venesaur get underground that fast? Lol, nice Solar Beam to the face.

Dame, those Pokemask dudes are really creepy. Aw, Dedenne was being so cute, sliding around on the floor and jumping around. But of course he has to fall through the damn floor. Wow, Bonnie just jumped down that hole with no second though. And Clemont falling through was hilarious. Good thing Sanpei's brothers just so happened to be down there, coincidentally standing in the perfect spots to catch Bonnie, Dedenne, and Squishy. And lol at Serena falling on top of Clemont.

Man, why did that chick have to stop Serena from following Ash? She needs to get into the action too. I find something really funny about the fact that the village is being attacked by a bunch of bug, steel, flying, and dark types and the villagers seem to have nothing but grass and water-types. They specifically had a Simisage and Simipour, yet oddly enough no Simisear. Hopefully those monkeys have some fighting moves. And I'd say at least Serena has Braxien and Pancham, but she's a bit tied up at the moment. Which probably would have been avoided if the chick just let her follow Ash:/

Whatever. Overall this was a pretty cool episode for the most part. Could have done without TR though. I'll give it a 7/10.

The episode was a 6/10. It was as predictable as I thought it was going to be, and just like last week the "promised explanation about the new forme" ended up being a vague 5-seconds thing :mad::mad:.

I'm glad that Team Rocket isn't the villain, but their actions in this episode were ridiculous and didn't let the plot move foward.

I still liked a lot the worldbuilding of the ninja village and the new characters, and the animation.

I'm surprised that Frogadier vs Bisharp seems to be happening early in the next episode.

I already have two concerns:

1) Will names be changed? TPCI has been pretty good about letting characters related to Sanpei keep their Japanese names (certainly better than those xenophobes at 4Kids would've), but one has to wonder if some of them have their names changed or altered this time to make it easier on the kids this time...

2) will the Elder trying to cuddle Ninja Lady and her using Replacement Jutsu be altered? (Not to mention how it looked how he was getting drunk) That was kinda risky and risqué for Pokémon...

3) What about Froakie's Christmas ske...actually, this one deserves it's own topic...

Last edited:
2) will the Elder trying to cuddle Ninja Lady and her using Replacement Jutsu be altered?
Can't speak for Pokemon or all anime, but some of the dubs of anime that I have seen kept this kind of thing in or at least showed worse. So I think we'll be fine.

(Not to mention how it looked how he was getting drunk) That was kinda risky and risqué for Pokémon...

Except the more likely explanation is that he really, really enjoyed his drink without needing it to be about alcohol

Unless the Village Elder has a very low tolerance of alcohol or the drink was some pretty potent stuff. You don't just take one drink and act like your drunk, at least not in real life. Don't know about anime, though.

It's about time we get an episode where something interesting actually happens. This really is the first time since the first episode that XY&Z didn't seem like a complete chore to sit through. Nice callbacks, a really cool set of villains, a decent battle in the middle, Eureka being awesome...it was a pretty good episode.

This show not being able to use Japanese writing even when its characters are walking around a freaking ninja village is pretty ridiculous tho.

ii kanji said:
May Ookido's lecture never return

Blasphemy! :p These Poke TV segments have been really hit-or-miss for me; the girls screaming about pokemon (Pikachu, Keromatsu) have been nails-on-a-chalkboard bad but I loved the "Unbelievable" ones (though a lot of that is due to (who I'm assuming is) Miki Shinichirou's hilarious Beat Takeshi impersonation).

The Orchid ones were funny because it's always funny to see Orchid-Hakase cluelessly get the shit beat out of him week after week ^^;;

Perpetual_Phoenix said:
P.S. Team Rocket, though. I don't understand why they were included in this episode.

Sakuura said:
Could have done without TR though.

I could say the same thing about Serena and Citron, really. Funny how they get a free pass while the Rocket trio don't.

SammyW27 said:
TPCI has been pretty good about letting characters related to Sanpei keep their Japanese names (certainly better than those xenophobes at 4Kids would've), but one has to wonder if some of them have their names changed or altered this time to make it easier on the kids...

"Hi, I'm Sampei. And these are my brothers...Noah and Ian."
"So...you're adopted then?"

To be fair, other than that one group is good and the other group is bad, there is no real difference. I think what the TRio's detractors here mean is that it would be nice to have a break from the TRio every once in a while. They're not the only thing wrong with the world of Pokemon, after all.

Use whatever double standards you like suckerz, after a series of ill-treatment, the Rocket trio are here to stay.
(Plus, I'm pretty sure the fact that Serena and the old woman are now bondaged together will serve some kind of plot purpose next week...)

You don't just take one drink and act like your drunk, at least not in real life.
Real people looking for an excuse to perv do.....................................

Blasphemy! :p These Poke TV segments have been really hit-or-miss for me; the girls screaming about pokemon (Pikachu, Keromatsu) have been nails-on-a-chalkboard bad but I loved the "Unbelievable" ones (though a lot of that is due to (who I'm assuming is) Miki Shinichirou's hilarious Beat Takeshi impersonation).

The Orchid ones were funny because it's always funny to see Orchid-Hakase cluelessly get the shit beat out of him week after week ^^;;
See even though the in-universe justifications for those ones have been stupid, I've loved the new scenes we've gotten as a result! I also like that they're not always about a specific Pokemon. I was bored out of my wits by frickin' Rotom more than anything else and Ookido wasn't at the receiving end of enough violence for me to enjoy it :p

Real people looking for an excuse to perv do.....................................

Except he wasn't really paying attention to Shinobu, so his point wasn't to get laid. If it was, wouldn't Shinobu be the one drinking.

Or did I entirely miss the point of your comment?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom