• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible that they are giving Zygarde this focus because it's not starring in the film/getting its own game. Giving it a great amount of attention in other formats besides the film & games allows Game Freak to give those places to Pokemon who need revealing, such as Volcanion, and potential early reveals from Gen VII. It also ensures that Zyarde isn't left out - it will have its time to shine. Maybe not as big as some may have liked, but it won't have been left out completely. It also gives Zygarde closure. Its dex entries raised a lot of questions, and the fact they've stated its Complete Form is stronger than Xerneas & Yveltal just adds to that. Giving Zygarde a role like this allows GF to promote him & keep room free for projects that may have a higher precedence for them.

Besides, how can they promote for a game they haven't even announced? It makes no sense to build up hype for something they may not even be making. You can't deny that Zygarde's hype would have been much bigger if its game/s had been announced alongside its forms.

I understand all your points, and they are all valid, but...I don't see why they need to repeat an old formula for Zygarde. It works, sure, but if they are wanting to move on from Gen VI then I really don't think something like Zygarde's BST is going to stop them from pushing ahead. As I pointed out in response to the quote above, giving Zygarde precedence in other media still allows them to move onward and showcase Zygarde and its forms at the same time. It's also allowed them to give Team Flare spotlight as antagonists, and tie the Specials & Anime together in a grand way.

As for gameplay purposes, the forms (along with Ash-Greninja) could easily be slid into games that aren't focused on Zygarde. Would it be cheap? Certainly. But it'd work for their purposes if they didn't want to make another Gen VI game for whatever reason.

It isn't just Zygarde's stats, there is it's hidden moves: Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. Making Zygarde anime and spin-off only would be a bad move which would upset a lot of fans. It maybe an old formula but they have never skipped out on the third legendary pokemon. As for the movie, Zygarde is likely to be in it since all other gen 6 legendary and mythical pokemon had appeared in movies. It actually does make sense to build the hype on the new game with Zygarde's forms because it tells us that a main series game is coming. Just because Volcanion and Zygarde's forms were announced first, it does not mean that we are getting gen 7 instead. A main series game with Zygarde will come eventually.

Giving Zygarde a token form in other media isn't closure, it needs focus in a game for that otherwise it's being treated as an afterthought. Besides, there's still some unanswered questions behind Zygarde, such as the exact nature of its relationship with Xerneas and Yvetal and its connection to Kalos' ecosystem.

It isn't just Zygarde's stats, there is it's hidden moves: Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. Making Zygarde anime and spin-off only would be a bad move which would upset a lot of fans. It maybe an old formula but they have never skipped out on the third legendary pokemon. As for the movie, Zygarde is likely to be in it since all other gen 6 legendary and mythical pokemon had appeared in movies. It actually does make sense to build the hype on the new game with Zygarde's forms because it tells us that a main series game is coming. Just because Volcanion and Zygarde's forms were announced first, it does not mean that we are getting gen 7 instead. A main series game with Zygarde will come eventually.

Not to sound rude, but this is going in circles. We're all just stating things and bringing facts in to support our theories. None of us are necessarily wrong here.

I'll leave the conversation on the note that Zygarde's & Volcanion's early reveals are different to the usual routine we've seen in the past.

So it looks like Volcanion is the mystery min being added into Tretta. That and there are various rumors going around about the new movie.

Anything on the movie except some very minute details at thisnpoint are more then likely bogus, but what kind of rumors?

It's possible that they are giving Zygarde this focus because it's not starring in the film/getting its own game. Giving it a great amount of attention in other formats besides the film & games allows Game Freak to give those places to Pokemon who need revealing, such as Volcanion, and potential early reveals from Gen VII. It also ensures that Zyarde isn't left out - it will have its time to shine. Maybe not as big as some may have liked, but it won't have been left out completely. It also gives Zygarde closure. Its dex entries raised a lot of questions, and the fact they've stated its Complete Form is stronger than Xerneas & Yveltal just adds to that. Giving Zygarde a role like this allows GF to promote him & keep room free for projects that may have a higher precedence for them.

Besides, how can they promote for a game they haven't even announced? It makes no sense to build up hype for something they may not even be making. You can't deny that Zygarde's hype would have been much bigger if its game/s had been announced alongside its forms.

But Zygarde was present in the M19 preview, so why wouldn't it be in the movie.

Why would Game Freak want to move on to Gen VII? If another game gives them more money, why wouldn't they use it? Zygarde needs a game, because all of its features are yet to be featured. How would they include it in Gen VII? Volcanion too? Why would they stop the trend of third versions now at the most ridiculous point?

Need? You mistake want for need.

Zygarde has had months of promotion & teasing this year, is getting TGC cards & merchandise early next year, and its the main focus of the XY&Z arc. Its forms are getting covered within the anime as well. Does it really need to be the focus of a game/s as well? That's for Game Freak to decide.

Of course Zygarde need a own story(line). Only a minor part of the fanbase are watching the anime. If pretty much every legendary trio got it's story in both a game and in a movie, why Zygarde would be an exception. Only anime? No not with this amount of new forms, promo etc.
This IS a reason why making another set of gen 6 games.

They promoted the next games with O-Giratina already a couple of months before Platinum was revealed, That isn't something new.

If Volcanion get a new form like Diancie and Hoopa, then it would be one more evidence for a new gen 6 game since they added these new forms in OR/AS and Volcanion, a native Gen 6 pokemon only have access to it's new form in Gen 7 would be ridicilious.

Perhaps Generation 7 still has us in Kalos 10 or more years later or we visit Kalos in the post-game?

All this "ZYGARDE NEEDS A GAME ON ITS OWN" is clinging to a pattern that can be broken. I doubt they'd ignore Zygarde or the Kalos starters if they decide to move onto Generation 7. I don't get why people think they would.

I just don't see the point in Zygarde getting a game in September-December 2016 tbh. Being teased on July and August 2015, officially revealed on September 2015, Zygarde's anime arc looking like it'll end on March 2016, and a release in September-December 2016 because of VGC 2016 and OR/AS events just sounds like bad marketing.

Ho-Oh and Lugia were in the teaser for the Zoroark movie. Just because Red Zygarde Core or Zygarde Complete were introduced to us in a teaser doesn't mean they're in the movie.

Last edited:
I think Game Freak's actions and TPC hints are all pointing towards a new gen, while all common sense and logic are pointing to an other Gen VI game.

Gen VI is a special generation, as it introduced the most additions and mechanics since Gen III. It should be one of the longer generations. Not to mention it's my favourite, thanks to ORAS.

But also, economically speaking, skipping Z, for GF would be like walking by a wallet full of money in a trash can. They should grab the chance and make a Z game, simply because they can win millions by adding a few tweaks here and there to what has been made already in the original Kalos pair. They wouldn't lose much time making this game, and it would add a sense of completeness to gen VI.

I don't care about an other Kalos game too much tbh, as I got what I wanted from this generation (ORAS), but I certainly think Kalos fans deserve an other game.

Gen VII is what I think is happening, but I think gen VI should continue.

Last edited:
Of course Zygarde need a own story(line). Only a minor part of the fanbase are watching the anime. If pretty much every legendary trio got it's story in both a game and in a movie, why Zygarde would be an exception. Only anime? No not with this amount of new forms, promo etc.
This IS a reason why making another set of gen 6 games.

You're underestimating how many people watch and pay attention to the anime (especially when it comes to children), and how notable it is in its marketing and use in the franchise as a whole.

Also, just because something happened one way before doesn't mean it has to be repeated every single time. Zygarde getting an anime arc is already a break from what Rayquaza, Giratina and Kyurem did as neither of those three got arcs, so nothing says that it has to follow their example and get a movie as well.

Reactions: Zeb
I honestly want Z/X2Y2/whatever, not only because of all the potential, and not only because I'm eager to know how GF will handle it after the past third versions stepped up the game, but also because of economic reasons. I have the fear that Gen 7 will be New 3ds-only, and in my opinion the New 3DS is not worthwhile buying at all, and that's a desicion I don't want to take now.

But not all hope is lost, because there are some things pointing to a Mew reintroduction, and if Mew is used as the movie surprise (like Reshiram in 2011, Mewtwo in 2013, Arceus & others in 2015) then that argument is dead.
1) It hasn't been available in XYORAS.
2) It will be available in Pokemon Picross via passwords in january, along with the "XY&Z forms".
3) Apparently, it will be available in RBY VGC in some way, something tht wasn't present in the originals and therefore needs some attention.

I am on the Zygarde plot is anime only bandwagon. Its very likely the plot will wrap up by April or May, way before the movie. Unless they have some huge surprise for Zygarde that would delay its complete forme to leave it for the movie, there is nothing new to showcase it.

As for Mew, yeah the Picross event is very suspicious. Its alongside all the new stuff and not a normal event that pops up like the other mythicals. I wonder if its happening next month with February giving us the forme, or sometime in April like last year. You know thinking about it, I think its gonna be like last year, where we got the title in January instead of February. With February-March and maybe April building up to a reveal of a mega. And if you're wondering, yes I feel a Mega Mew is approriate. Its rumored to have the DNA of all Pokemon, and I assume it would naturally have the ability to Mega Evolve.

Last edited:
What if they decide to give us a Mew in the Gen I VC releases and that's that?

I would definitely prefer something bigger, lime a Kanto re-visit, or Mew's origins in a brand new region.

IF we get another Kalos game to finish off Gen VI, which I'm personally fine with, there's no way they can push the release back to the regular autumn slot. If they're gonna do Z version (or what have you, X2Y2, blah blah) then it needs to release in early summer at the absolute latest. I mean, the Zygarde forms have been out for a couple months now, the XYZ anime probably won't stretch longer than late spring. So, they would need to announce the next Kalos game in January-February, and release it around March-June. I dunno. I still get a bit of a Gen VII vibe coming, but maybe not. It's all unknown at this point. But if they're gonna continue Kalos, they definitely should not wait to release Z any later than June or so.

Not to sound rude, but this is going in circles. We're all just stating things and bringing facts in to support our theories. None of us are necessarily wrong here.

I'll leave the conversation on the note that Zygarde's & Volcanion's early reveals are different to the usual routine we've seen in the past.

Facts? What facts? Most of the reasoning people are using to support 7th gen is based on the unusual marketing schedule and there could be several other explanations for that. The game could be delayed. They could be waiting to reveal Eternal Flower Floette. They're revealing a Gen 6.5 Pokemon. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Meanwhile, the evidence that supports Z is more definite, we have unused Pokemon and assets that hint that they have something else planned for 6th gen. Now neither side is 100% right, there's nothing saying either way what will happen with the games, but you can make a much stronger case for 6th gen than 7th gen.

Perhaps Generation 7 still has us in Kalos 10 or more years later or we visit Kalos in the post-game?

All this "ZYGARDE NEEDS A GAME ON ITS OWN" is clinging to a pattern that can be broken. I doubt they'd ignore Zygarde or the Kalos starters if they decide to move onto Generation 7. I don't get why people think they would.

I just don't see the point in Zygarde getting a game in September-December 2016 tbh. Being teased on July and August 2015, officially revealed on September 2015, Zygarde's anime arc looking like it'll end on March 2016, and a release in September-December 2016 because of VGC 2016 and OR/AS events just sounds like bad marketing.

Things is, if they just cram Zygarde and company into a 7th gen game they'll end up overshadowed. Most of the attention will be on the new Pokemon and the new region and the remaining 6th gen stuff will just be treated as extras. It's such a waste of marketing and potential that way that it doesn't make sense to break the pattern right now. There's enough left that they can work with to create another game.

IF we get another Kalos game to finish off Gen VI, which I'm personally fine with, there's no way they can push the release back to the regular autumn slot. If they're gonna do Z version (or what have you, X2Y2, blah blah) then it needs to release in early summer at the absolute latest. I mean, the Zygarde forms have been out for a couple months now, the XYZ anime probably won't stretch longer than late spring. So, they would need to announce the next Kalos game in January-February, and release it around March-June. I dunno. I still get a bit of a Gen VII vibe coming, but maybe not. It's all unknown at this point. But if they're gonna continue Kalos, they definitely should not wait to release Z any later than June or so.
Thing is, like Silktree mentioned earlier, we have events for ORAS till June. And not just any events, but a best of from all of the gens fan favorite events. If gen 6 is getting a final iteration, its likely it will be in the fall. In fact, if we look at things from this angle, it might be the bedt interpretation of things.. Volcanion and Mew, the first and last event Pokemon together in a movie celebrating the 20th. Gen 6 eventd to celebrate things up till this point, and a grand Zygarde plot which ties up around the reveal. And then we get a grand twist to the Zygarde stuff which justifies the 7 month wait and the splattering of Zygarde all over. Gen 7 has just as much a chance of hallening, and while right now the movie news supports it, it also makes sense for Mew in the same way.
Also thinking about it, maybe the events going up to June could mean the games are out in July? Would be insane to tie the movie release and game release together.

I would definitely prefer something bigger, lime a Kanto re-visit, or Mew's origins in a brand new region.
The VC releases have no connectivity to the main games, as in that case we would have way more unused slots for gamed in the coding for connectivity. And its local wireless not internet that was added, which actually makes the case for mew even stronger. Rerelease the games, get people accustomed to Kanto. Then along with the announcement of mew, they explain its history in the franchise. Finally, as the games get announced, we learn that Mew gets a backstory and has a quest in game akin to Deoxys. Of course the movie event would have to be something else in this case, and I can think of a few for that instance.

On another note, the final episide of XY is airing next week, and there is no news of XY&Z. I have a funny feeling about this radio silence.

I think Game Freak's actions and TPC hints are all pointing towards a new gen, while all common sense and logic are pointing to an other Gen VI game.

Gen VII is what I think is happening, but I think gen VI should continue.

I don't think so. There are several reasons for Z to happen: Zygarde being the main focus this time, Zygarde's forms, low BST in XY, Eternal Floette, Thousand Arrows and Thousand waves, etc. If gen 7 comes, we won't see Kalos again or a story for Zygarde and there is no way they have Kalos or Zygarde as post game story in gen 7. Two regions in one game didn't work before, so it wouldn't work now and Zygarde should be the mascot of a new gen 6 game.

No thanks. Kanto has made enough appearances. I doubt Mew would be in a game as well as a new region.

Okay, ever since we had this Volcanion reveal, this and the lack up game news has been used to both attempt to justify either Pokémon Z and GEn. VII. However, I think we need to think outside of the box, which has lead me to this out-there conclusion/suggestion/speculation:

What if the name of new Anime arc XY & Z is pointing towards a compatible Pokémon XY expansion app that get treated like a new game meta wise, but reads in and makes a copy of your XY save file in a way similar to B2W2's Memory Link feature? Also, what if it was backwards compatible with the first pair of Gen. 7 games in regards to new Pokémon species (such as battling and trading are concerned) due to the Gen. 7 games releasing shortly afterwards? Not only would those be surprising, but could provide a middle ground between those who want to see a third version (due to the first pair of games being weak in several aspects), one or two XY squeals (due to each one only covering one mascot legendary and two unused signature moves for Zygarde), and allows Game Freak to move on to the new generation.

Sure, the Gen. VII compatibility limits connectivity with XY & ORAS, but the ORAS-introduced Mega Evolutions already limit compatibly with xY anyways due to Game Freak not wanting to make a compatibility patch for some reason.

Why would Game Freak want to move on to Gen VII? If another game gives them more money, why wouldn't they use it? Zygarde needs a game, because all of its features are yet to be featured. How would they include it in Gen VII? Volcanion too? Why would they stop the trend of third versions now at the most ridiculous point?

Well... Ho-Oh and Lugia showed up fighting in the preview for a HG/SS movie, which later turned out to be the Zoroark movie, and those two were the only Johto legendaries missing.

So Zygarde storming some castle or other in a preview is kind of irrelevant at this point.

What if the name of new Anime arc XY & Z is pointing towards a compatible Pokémon XY expansion app that get treated like a new game meta wise, but reads in and makes a copy of your XY save file in a way similar to B2W2's Memory Link feature? Also, what if it was backwards compatible with the first pair of Gen. 7 games in regards to new Pokémon species (such as battling and trading are concerned) due to the Gen. 7 games releasing shortly afterwards? Not only would those be surprising, but could provide a middle ground between those who want to see a third version (due to the first pair of games being weak in several aspects), one or two XY squeals (due to each one only covering one mascot legendary and two unused signature moves for Zygarde), and allows Game Freak to move on to the new generation.

Absolutely not. An app is a terrible idea and not everyone can get one or gain access to one. It is best to release a fully Z game for the 3DS for people to buy in stores. I would be really ticked off if Zygarde's forms were app and spin-off games only. Seriously, everyone is jumping to the conclusion of a gen 7 or app because we didn't get an announcement for Z. It is ridiculous, Game Freak would announce the game when it is ready and jumping to conclusions would help no one.

Well... Ho-Oh and Lugia showed up fighting in the preview for a HG/SS movie, which later turned out to be the Zoroark movie, and those two were the only Johto legendaries missing.

So Zygarde storming some castle or other in a preview is kind of irrelevant at this point.

You do have a point about that preview being miss leading, but the thing about that is they hadn't announced Zoroark yet. It's clear that at that point in time they didn't want to spill the beans yet so they put up a place holder teaser as to through everyone off their trail. Sure something similar could be happening here, but then why go through all the fuss over the new Zygarde forms? They could have easily made a teaser using a previously known Pokemon again and said "stay tuned" and that would have sufficed. Instead they decided to throw Zygarde's forms out to the public and even advertise it heavily. To me that means that Zygarde will play some part in the movie. As to how big of a roll it will b? Who knows, but either way it'll make some kind of an appearance. That I'm sure of. With that in mind I'm not so sure anything clearly points to gen 7 heading our way anytime soon. Sure they could throw a gen 7 mon in the mix, but I wouldn't b surprised if it was more in the vein of Munchlax being in the Deoxys movie where they still had a movie or so left before gen 4 actually came out. I'm not saying that I think there will be anymore movies focusing on gen 6 after this next one, but I can't c it being a clear cut gen 7 is the next game to be released flag either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom