• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I've been incredibly bored and gathered together lots of stats about game releases, generation lengths, yearly pauses, and space between reveals and found some very clear and interesting patterns.

First off, there is a break in every Generation
Gen 1 - 1997
Gen 2 - 2001
Gen 3- 2003
Gen 4 - 2007
Gen 5 - 2011
Gen 6 - 2015 so this gap was perfectly to be expected, nothing out of the ordinary. Indeed the gap seems to take place every 4 years apart from the early gap in Gen 3.

From Gen 3 onwards all of these gaps have been followed by the release of a new game within the same generation. So this would point to a Gen 6 game in 2016.

All generations have lasted at least 3 years,

Gen 1 - 3.75 years
Gen 2 - 3 years
Gen 3 - 3.83 years
Gen 4 - 4 years
Gen 5 - 3.08 years

So a Gen 7 game before October would make Gen 6 the shortest generation ever. Even shorter than Gen 2 which had no remakes. No sequels. How likely is this really?

Now we get to the really interesting stuff.

There was a gap of 20.26 months between the release of DP and the reveal of Platinum
There was a gap of 17.26 months between the release of Black/White and the reveal of Black2/White

Both of these happened around the year gaps. So far there is only a 13 month wait. So clearly, nothing so far suggests this wait between the Oras release and the next gen 6 reveal is particularly long.

17 months from the Oras release would be an April 2016 reveal, 20 months a July 2016 reveal. So if the next Gen 6 game hasn't been revealed by August 2016, then maybe the Pro Gen 7 crowd will have an argument that holds water.

In both Gen 4 and Gen 5, these long waits in between reveals were followed by short promotion periods lasting only 4 months each exactly, 4 months between Platinums reveal and its release (released 2 months after the main Platinum movie) and 4 months between the Black2 White2 reveal and release, placing it in June just before the Kyurem movie.

This same pattern applied to Gen 6 would suggest a reveal between April - July and a release between August and November. This is because of Oras late release in November instead of September.

However, I think this will be earlier, we saw the gap drop by about 3 months from 20 months in Gen 4 to 17 months in Gen 5. Black2/White 2, were revealed on February 26th, just 1 day off from the 16th anniversary. I don't think it's a big stretch to assume they could do the same in 2016 for the 20th annivesary to announce the next Gen 6 game, and have it release 4 months later, following the same pattern and release in June just in time for the movie.

Ok I've been incredibly bored and gathered together lots of stats about game releases, generation lengths, yearly pauses, and space between reveals and found some very clear and interesting patterns.

Gen 1 - 1997
Gen 2 - 2001
Gen 3- 2003
Gen 4 - 2007
Gen 5 - 2011
Gen 6 - 2015 so this gap was perfectly to be expected, nothing out of the ordinary. Indeed the gap seems to take place every 4 years apart from the early gap in Gen 3.

From Gen 3 onwards all of these gaps have been followed by the release of a new game within the same generation. So this would point to a Gen 6 game in 2016.

Gen 1 - 3.75 years
Gen 2 - 3 years
Gen 3 - 3.83 years
Gen 4 - 4 years
Gen 5 - 3.08 years

So a Gen 7 game before October would make Gen 6 the shortest generation ever. Even shorter than Gen 2 which had no remakes. No sequels. How likely is this really?

There was a gap of 20.26 months between the release of DP and the reveal of Platinum
There was a gap of 17.26 months between the release of Black/White and the reveal of Black2/White

Both of these happened around the year gaps. So far there is only a 13 month wait. So clearly, nothing so far suggests this wait between the Oras release and the next gen 6 reveal is particularly long.

17 months from the Oras release would be an April 2016 reveal, 20 months a July 2016 reveal. So if the next Gen 6 game hasn't been revealed by August 2016, then maybe the Pro Gen 7 crowd will have an argument that holds water.

In both Gen 4 and Gen 5, these long waits in between reveals were followed by short promotion periods lasting only 4 months each exactly, 4 months between Platinums reveal and its release (released 2 months after the main Platinum movie) and 4 months between the Black2 White2 reveal and release, placing it in June just before the Kyurem movie.

This same pattern applied to Gen 6 would suggest a reveal between April - July and a release between August and November. This is because of Oras late release in November instead of September.

However, I think this will be earlier, we saw the gap drop by about 3 months from 20 months in Gen 4 to 17 months in Gen 5. Black2/White 2, were revealed on February 26th, just 1 day off from the 16th anniversary. I don't think it's a big stretch to assume they could do the same in 2016 for the 20th annivesary to announce the next Gen 6 game, and have it release 4 months later, following the same pattern and release in June just in time for the movie.

You are a clear-headed, logical revelation that this thread DESPERATELY needed. And I thank you.

Okay, first of all. It's already been confirmed that Ash-Greninja is anime-exclusive.

Um... what? Where?

And as for a new main series game, let's take a look at the episode numbers, shall we? Diamond & Pearl series had Ash win his 8th Gym Badge at Episode 179, while Ash won his 7th Gym Badge at Episode 127! Now just imagine how long that took, in those days... the time between gym battles was extremely long, but on the upside... it didn't have a filler arc, hence as to why it ended at around Episode 191. Compared to Advanced Generation which ended at Episode 192 (which had a huge filler arc with the return to Kanto).

For Ash's next gym battle in the anime in the XY&Z series, judging by things... it looks as if it will happen at around episode 118-120, and don't forget... Ash will have to meet Wulfric at Pokémon Village, just like what happens in the games. So when the XY series ending... is actually going to show that it's going to be longer than Best Wishes series and shorter than Advanced Generation or even Diamond & Pearl series. Which means... we're gonna be seeing the XY series last until around Episode 165-170 (which makes room for two more seasons in the dub, including 19 and 20), if Game Freak is going to go with releasing two main series games in 2016. But if they release only a "Pokémon Z", then we're gonna be waiting for another sixth generation game in 2017 (more than likely to be another remake), which will mean the XY anime will make a huge filler arc and become the longest spanning series ever made (if we don't count the original series). Which will then mean that the seventh generation won't come until 2018.

Also what. Why does getting Z mean we're getting another game?

Oh, and remember... the movies can and will introduce new Pokémon, without any mention of a new generation being made this year. Look, this happened with Movie 7 when Bonsly and Munchlax was introduced. It also happened with Movie 8 with Lucario and Mime Jr., and still no mention of a fourth generation. It wasn't until when Manaphy, Chatot and some other Pokémon were introduced in Movie 9 was when Pokémon Diamond Version and Pokémon Pearl Version were announced in Japan on a press release from Nintendo. And lemme tell you, that was the most dragged out generation ever, due to so many new Pokémon being announced without any mention of a new generation.

Yes, the same thing could happen with Generation VII. Like for instance, introduce a new Pokémon that will star in the 19th movie, but no mention of a seventh generation at all, and just be promoting those new Pokémon in spin-off titles like Pokémon Shuffle or even Pokémon Picross.

First of all, those were new Pokemon, Zygarde Complete and Ash Greninja aren't new Pokemon, they're new forms. Second, 4th gen was the last time they did that, in 5th and 6th gen they didn't reveal any Pokemon until they were ready to promote the corresponding games. So this likely has nothing to do with those scenarios.

Gen 1 - 1997
Gen 2 - 2001
Gen 3- 2003
Gen 4 - 2007
Gen 5 - 2011

Gen 1 - 3.75 years
Gen 2 - 3 years
Gen 3 - 3.83 years
Gen 4 - 4 years
Gen 5 - 3.08 years

While I mostly agree with this post, its nit wrong in anyway, there is one slight alteration I would like to make. If gen 7 were to come next year, its likely we wull know about it well before this April, let alone August. And I say next year because Pokemon would never go on a two year hiatus, or at least I would assume so. The only time that happened was between emerald and DP, and even then it was delayed because GF really weren't ready for the DS. So yeah, if we are waiting for an April-July reveal, it would be for gen 6 definitely. Could happen before that as well, the anniversary is good like mentioned earlier, but anytme after February with no word is definitely gen 6.

Last edited:
Im starting to wonder if they might announce the game on Feb 27th, the 20th anniversary, just a thought that occurred to me, would be a pretty good time to announce it.

The 20th anniversary would be so much more fitting for the reveal of a new generation, but alas it's not meant to be. I would definitely not mind getting the reveal of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ (sorry, since we don't know which letter it is, I used the entire alphabet lol) on the anniversary, though.

At thins point, I feel about ready to move on to Gen VII. XY may have left a few questions, but not knowing the answers won't kill me.

The 20th anniversary would be so much more fitting for the reveal of a new generation, but alas it's not meant to be. I would definitely not mind getting the reveal of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ (sorry, since we don't know which letter it is, I used the entire alphabet lol) on the anniversary, though.
Honestly, Z would be a great name for the game, considering it would be Game #26.

Sadly it seems the 20th anniversary will be a bit empty. Maybe they see the 25th as being a bigger occasion to celebrate? So far all we are getting is the VC releases of Gen 1. The timing for the 27th would work perfectly, not only the anniversary after a long break like with Black2/White2 but even just in terms of actual days of the week. The 27th is a Saturday, so we can have the reveal then, and then on the Sunday after that show (Can't keep up with its constant name changes) can talk about it, or even just as Black2/White2 were revealed a day before the anniversary, the new Gen 6 game could be revealed the day after the anniversary, ie on the Sunday show.

At thins point, I feel about ready to move on to Gen VII. XY may have left a few questions, but not knowing the answers won't kill me.

There's more than a few questions though. You're right some things can be left open, like the identity of the original dragon, for instance. But XY have massive gaps.

Firstly, the South of Kalos is largely unused.
Zygardes formes are missing.
Zygardes new moves are missing.
Zygardes link with Xerneas and Yveltal is missing
The fact that an Elite 4 member is actually involved with a terrorist organisation is yet to be explored.
In fact she's still running around freely, angry and bent on revenge.
Not to mention the scientists are still free.
Eternal Floette is missing and it's hidden move (ok this could just be handed out randomly, but really?)
Volcanion is likely to get a new form, not to mention we never saw these towns in the south that worship Volcanion.
Then we have the whole Ash Greninja thing (no it's not anime exclusive, it's already appearing in side games/spin offs and the TCG, not to mention being heavily promoted.

There's more than "a few questions". Also I personally haven't given up hope on the Battle Frontier yet. I believe if they wanted us to forget about it, like the GS Ball for instance they would have denied all knowledge of it entirely. But to have a model to the Battle Frontier with a big "coming soon" sign, an NPC mentioning Scott and his search for the Pike Queen, not to mention Brandon repeatedly being mentioned in the unreleased volcanion event of ORAS, says to me, the Battle Frontier, or at least the characters from it, have a decent chance of turning up.

Okay, first of all. It's already been confirmed that Ash-Greninja is anime-exclusive.

Uh... No it hasn't?

If you're getting it from this...

"What is Ash Greninja capable of!? Just what kind of powers does it have? Look forward to seeing it in action, you won't be able to see it outside the anime!"

Y'know that statement is ambiguous, right? It can mean two things:

1) Anime-exclusive.
2) It's only in the anime at the time.

Plus, just seems kind of ridiculous to promote it in the anime, include it in Picros, TCG, and Tretta, and make figures, plushies, and a bunch of other merchandise only to have it be anime-exclusive and introduce Calem-Greninja or Serena-Greninja. I mean... What's the point then?

And I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in the episode where it debuted, if you look closely at the "Hero Greninja" picture, the middle spike is also red, that could possibly mean that "Ash Greninja" is being used to disguise the actual name and that the design is the same no matter who evolves a Greninja.

Last edited:
Uh... No it hasn't?

If you're getting it from this...

1) Anime-exclusive.

Plus, just seems kind of ridiculous to promote it in the anime, include it in Picross, and make figures, plushies, and a bunch of other merchandise only to have it be anime-exclusive and introduce Calem-Greninja or Serena-Greninja. I mean... What's the point then?

And I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in the episode where it debuted, if you look closely at the "Hero Greninja" picture, the middle spike is also red, that could possibly mean that "Ash Greninja" is being used to disguise the actual name and that the design is the same no matter who evolves a Greninja.

I considered this. What if this form looking like Ash is just an "in universe" coincidence, similar to how Eternal Floette represents the French flag, as does Zygarde's chest. What if it always looks like that, regardless of whether done by Ash or not.

Finally, on a slightly humorous, slightly serious note, we all know Pokemon Go is coming next year. And the most obvious name for the Gen 6 game is Pokemon Z. I've just read the translation of the opening for XY&Z, and apparently the chorus starts each line with "Go! Z! " That poor announcer in the Volcanion trailer literally shouted AND Z, after the XY bit. Could Rika have been singing to us the names of the next 2 games all along. ;)

Last edited:
Honestly, Z would be a great name for the game, considering it would be Game #26.

Oh, wow. It would be. Now Z has to be the title, even if Junichi used it in interviews.
  1. Red
  2. Green
  3. Blue
  4. Yellow
  5. Gold
  6. Silver
  7. Crystal
  8. Ruby
  9. Sapphire
  10. Emerald
  11. Fire Red
  12. Leaf Green
  13. Diamond
  14. Pearl
  15. Platinum
  16. Heart Gold
  17. Soul Silver
  18. Black
  19. White
  20. Black 2
  21. White 2
  22. X
  23. Y
  24. Omega Ruby
  25. Alpha Sapphire
  26. -----

should Torterra learn Spiky Shield?
(becuse of the tree on its back, wood, posible spikes)
should future starters learn it?
why did the Ferroseed line not get it?

should Torterra learn Spiky Shield?
(becuse of the tree on its back, wood, posible spikes)
should future starters learn it?
why did the Ferroseed line not get it?

There are many mysteries of moves, such as Medicham not learnin Aura Sphere. However, Pokémon most likely won't learn new moves in 'Z,' as moves such as Spiky Shield already got passed on to other Pokémon in ORAS. Pokémon learning existing moves previously inaccessible to them will probably next happen in Gen VII. Although, it is a possibility that Z could include this.

omg if they're missing this opportunity I'm going to be so mad

1) Anime-exclusive.

It could also mean that Ash Greninja is going to be anime exclusive. And please let it be, I don't want any Pokémon to look like Ash in any way in the games.

However, that doesn't mean the way he evolves into it is going to be exclusive. It has been a theory that it's some sort of Mega Evolution that has to do with customization and though I have no idea how that would work, it does seem plausible. With GameFreak saying that customization is a Kalos thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Kalos starters Mega evolved in a way that has something to do with that.

There are many mysteries of moves, such as Medicham not learnin Aura Sphere. However, Pokémon most likely won't learn new moves in 'Z,' as moves such as Spiky Shield already got passed on to other Pokémon in ORAS. Pokémon learning existing moves previously inaccessible to them will probably next happen in Gen VII. Although, it is a possibility that Z could include this.
Hopefully future gen will solve the problems. Torterra would need that little boost.

Sadly it seems the 20th anniversary will be a bit empty. Maybe they see the 25th as being a bigger occasion to celebrate? So far all we are getting is the VC releases of Gen 1. The timing for the 27th would work perfectly, not only the anniversary after a long break like with Black2/White2 but even just in terms of actual days of the week. The 27th is a Saturday, so we can have the reveal then, and then on the Sunday after that show (Can't keep up with its constant name changes) can talk about it, or even just as Black2/White2 were revealed a day before the anniversary, the new Gen 6 game could be revealed the day after the anniversary, ie on the Sunday show.

There's more than a few questions though. You're right some things can be left open, like the identity of the original dragon, for instance. But XY have massive gaps.

The fact that an Elite 4 member is actually involved with a terrorist organisation is yet to be explored.
Eternal Floette is missing and it's hidden move (ok this could just be handed out randomly, but really?)
Volcanion is likely to get a new form, not to mention we never saw these towns in the south that worship Volcanion.
Then we have the whole Ash Greninja thing (no it's not anime exclusive, it's already appearing in side games/spin offs and the TCG, not to mention being heavily promoted.

There's more than "a few questions". Also I personally haven't given up hope on the Battle Frontier yet. I believe if they wanted us to forget about it, like the GS Ball for instance they would have denied all knowledge of it entirely. But to have a model to the Battle Frontier with a big "coming soon" sign, an NPC mentioning Scott and his search for the Pike Queen, not to mention Brandon repeatedly being mentioned in the unreleased volcanion event of ORAS, says to me, the Battle Frontier, or at least the characters from it, have a decent chance of turning up.

Personally, I doubt Masuda is brave enough to include the Frontier in a Kalos game after omitting it from Hoenn, and openly stating they didn't add it cause players don't want such features these days.

There's more than "a few questions".

Like I said, I can deal with not knowing the answers, but I can understand why many people want to know.

On a side note: If there is a Z, I think GF missed an opportunity with basing Kalos on France. They should have used Brazil instead.

Personally, I doubt Masuda is brave enough to include the Frontier in a Kalos game after omitting it from Hoenn, and openly stating they didn't add it cause players don't want such features these days.
Crazy sunavabitch is gonna smack us on a boat and sail us to Hoenn just for that, nothings stopping em. Only thing is the time gap in game...

Last edited:
Like I said, I can deal with not knowing the answers, but I can understand why many people want to know.

On a side note: If there is a Z, I think GF missed an opportunity with basing Kalos on France. They should have used Brazil instead.
Why would the inclusion of a 3rd version suggest GF missed an opportunity by using France instead of Brazil? I don't see the relevance of Brazil to a 3rd instalment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom