• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

To be honest, I don't really read fanfics at all, but I've

I don't consider Pichu so much a cliche, if it's going to evolve into a Pikachu in the long run. I think it's only a cliche if they start off with a Pikachu.

True that. What about stories that end up having a trainer capture a Pikachu? Would that then be a cliche or would it follow the same idea of since it didn't immediately start with Pikachu, it isn't a cliche?

I think this needs to be said at least once every few pages, but:

The word "cliche," at the end of the day, is simply a label--one that is often over-applied and over-feared. What matters is if it's done well. Obviously, people will roll their eyes and say "ugh, not another _____," and there are some story tropes that I honestly don't think can ever be written well, but there's been so much discussion/fear here over mundane details that, ultimately, don't directly say anything about the quality of a story at all. While it's hard to write a story that has a questionable foundation, execution, not concepts, are what make a story.

I think this needs to be said at least once every few pages, but:

The word "cliche," at the end of the day, is simply a label--one that is often over-applied and over-feared. What matters is if it's done well. Obviously, people will roll their eyes and say "ugh, not another _____," and there are some story tropes that I honestly don't think can ever be written well, but there's been so much discussion/fear here over mundane details that, ultimately, don't directly say anything about the quality of a story at all. While it's hard to write a story that has a questionable foundation, execution, not concepts, are what make a story.

You have a point. It's not the trope itself, rather it's all in the presentation.

The word "cliche," at the end of the day, is simply a label--one that is often over-applied and over-feared.
Short version: "cliche" just means OU.

For one that's currently on my mind, the notion that the main character in a Mystery Dungeon setting knows they were human -- that fact, and their name, are the only pieces of their memory they universally keep. I feel it's generally justified to have, because even when it's of no prophetic importance (as in Explorers) it's still something that keeps the MC up at night. It provides a reason for the character to have so much internal monologue going on, reviewing and questioning things.

Of course, I'm also thinking about obs1d1an's argument that it isn't strictly necessary -- for example, the more I think about my 2012 Nano the more I think it's worth trying his angle, that my MC doesn't know he was originally human (specifically), but he does have a general suspicion that he's not supposed to be a Riolu.

Oh, and while Riolu may be considered an OU starter for fanfic, well what can I say, it was legitimately what the quiz gave me back in Explorers (I almost turned it down, even) and the ability to see emotional auras is something too valuable to NOT put to constant use (and I do mean constant -- in the first chapter specifically, he thinks he's hallucinating when he sees these funny shifting colors that nobody else can). It also ties in well with his introspective and questioning tendencies -- for example, he can tell when somebody's lying but not about what (there's one scene where this almost causes trouble, even).

Short version: "cliche" just means OU.

For one that's currently on my mind, the notion that the main character in a Mystery Dungeon setting knows they were human -- that fact, and their name, are the only pieces of their memory they universally keep. I feel it's generally justified to have, because even when it's of no prophetic importance (as in Explorers) it's still something that keeps the MC up at night. It provides a reason for the character to have so much internal monologue going on, reviewing and questioning things.

Of course, I'm also thinking about obs1d1an's argument that it isn't strictly necessary -- for example, the more I think about my 2012 Nano the more I think it's worth trying his angle, that my MC doesn't know he was originally human (specifically), but he does have a general suspicion that he's not supposed to be a Riolu.

Oh, and while Riolu may be considered an OU starter for fanfic, well what can I say, it was legitimately what the quiz gave me back in Explorers (I almost turned it down, even) and the ability to see emotional auras is something too valuable to NOT put to constant use (and I do mean constant -- in the first chapter specifically, he thinks he's hallucinating when he sees these funny shifting colors that nobody else can). It also ties in well with his introspective and questioning tendencies -- for example, he can tell when somebody's lying but not about what (there's one scene where this almost causes trouble, even).

Honestly, I don't think the choosing of specific Pokemon that's the cliche- it's more the personality the writers like to give them. Say for instance, Lucario, I think a lot of Lucario are modeled after Sir Aaron's Lucario: quiet, observant, and very cautious of their surroundings, but unbreakably loyal to their partners. Not that those traits are bad, it just gets to the point where it feels like one specific Lucario is immigrating through different stories, y'know?

Which is why in my Explorers fic I planned on making them the complete opposite of that: they're more akin to isolated, xenophobic social darwinists who use their aura abilities to reaallly hit their opponents where it hurts. Knowing that their Riolu young evolve on happiness, they treat them with kindness and happiness, telling them the world is a great place, with intent of evolving them early. Then when they do, the parents immediately serve them a heaping dose of "lol jk the world is shit." and put them through some kind of hellish training for the rest of their lives.

Say for instance, Lucario, I think a lot of Lucario are modeled after Sir Aaron's Lucario: quiet, observant, and very cautious of their surroundings, but unbreakably loyal to their partners. Not that those traits are bad, it just gets to the point where it feels like one specific Lucario is immigrating through different stories, y'know?

I've just recently introduced a Riolu in ASTC, so this is something I've had to think about, and did some ludicrously in-depth research for.

I took into account the origins and inspirations behind the mon, and not just what fans think. The movie where Lucario is introduced is pretty much set in a straight-up medieval Poke-Germany, complete with grand secluded mountain castles and several little warring kingdoms at each others' throats. Noting that, the Lucario of Sir Aaron is pretty much an embodiment of what are commonly known as Prussian Virtues, or also Germanic Efficiency. I guarantee you if you look through those examples, you'll find it lines up pretty closely with how Lucario was characterized in its debut movie, and also in other official media like the anime and manga, completely disregarding what fanfic has come up with. Note Maylene's Lucario of DP anime: sore loser hellbent on self-improvement. Riley's Lucario DP anime: stubborn and self-confident to the point of endangering itself and others. I could go on.

Noting that, I have to conclude that it's not simply fan-squee that's driving the usual depiction, and that Prussian Virtues/Germanic Efficiency is something intrinsic to the mon's base nature. That being said, it should be treated as a starting point for reference, and not a be-all/end-all. From the Germanic-inspired origins, one can extrapolate and develop any number of different characterization possibilities using Germanic history and culture as inspirational material. This includes but is not limited to: the principles of German swordsmanship, the Teutonic Order (which I personally use as an inspiration for the Aura Guardians in the Pokemon setting), ruthless German mercenaries, or even ideas associated with Scandinavian/Vikings, which many Germans feel they have strong ties with. You can even bring in German-style humor (and yes, they do have a sense of humor). From there, one can extrapolate flaws and other secondary traits from the base archetypes.

And in this case you've given us:
Which is why in my Explorers fic I planned on making them the complete opposite of that: they're more akin to isolated, xenophobic social darwinists who use their aura abilities to reaallly hit their opponents where it hurts. Knowing that their Riolu young evolve on happiness, they treat them with kindness and happiness, telling them the world is a great place, with intent of evolving them early. Then when they do, the parents immediately serve them a heaping dose of "lol jk the world is shit." and put them through some kind of hellish training for the rest of their lives.

That's actually not too far off of the fervent nationalism and supremacy associated with Nazi Germany (Aryan/one true race thing), which itself is a kind of corruption of Prussian Virtues. I would take issue with the specific evolution mechanic, since I don't think it really carries over so directly from game to narrative medium.

Point is, one doesn't have to completely defy the established norm to come up with something interesting. On the contrary, taking an approach that is meant to be explicitly in defiance of the stereotype can be almost as bad as being boring and unoriginal. I find it more interesting to deconstruct the stereotype, get down to its bare bones, and work up from there.

Last edited:
I would take issue with the specific evolution mechanic, since I don't think it really carries over so directly from game to narrative medium.

Well, I have been debating with myself whether or not to change how "happiness" Pokémon evolve. I have decided in my fic, however, that Pokémon requiring to naturally evolve through trade would instead evolve 20 levels later. Example: Machop evolves into Machoke at lvl 28, and Machoke would evolve into Machamp at lvl 48 in my fic. Cuz really, how would trade evolution work out in a PMD setting?

As for happiness evolution, I was thinking to evolve them naturally at lvl 24 ( the exception being Crobat; since Zubat evolves into Golbat at lvl 22, that would only give it 2 levels before evolving into Crobat. Even bug-types don't evolve that quickly)

But then again, I've been told by a few reviewers making references to one's level feels slightly off in a semi-realistic setting as the one in my fic; so really, the only way you can figure out their levels in my fic is if they learn a move on the spot and/or evolve.

Even that is something that feels 'gamey' and does not translate 100% to a narrative medium.

How can I explain this clearly?

What I was trying to say was, I'm applying the same logic as the anime: during battle a Pokemon is in a pinch, and they suddenly learn a move to win the battle, if not at least help turn it to their favor. If that doesn't work, then I don't know how to realistically have my Pokemon learn their moves.

How can I explain this clearly?
Um, don't? (lol)

What "works" for a given story varies depending on what mood/tone you're aiming for. If you're going for a light-hearted anime feel then don't let my preference of dramatic realism stop you.

Last edited:
Is there a Pokemon story out there that uses literally every cliche in the book? I may be...interested...in reading it.

My bad, I must have forgotten to change the link during the forum switch. All fixed :LOL:

* The MC inexplicably meeting a rare Pokemon, usually at the beginning of their journey. Said rare Pokemon either adores them or hates them instantly.

* Abusive parents.
** Abusive parents being the reason MC wants to go on a journey. Bonus if the parent forbids it for no clear reason than to be cruel and the kid has to run away to do it.

* The MC seeing a Legendary. Bonus if said Legendary talks to MC.

I've seen all of these in a lot of fics, especially the abusive parents scenario, which is unfortunately common in a lot of cliche/Mary-Sue fics, not just Pokemon. I think it's one of the things that bothers me the most though, because it's very rarely written well or given the respect and maturity it deserves, and the parent is just. Over-the-top cruel for the sake of it? Like I've known people who were abused (sorry to bring up something heavy) and I've been abused too. You hardly ever see something to the extent that most fanfic writers make, and the MC is very rarely actually affected by it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom