• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that GF rushed to include all the Pokedex between two pairs of games doesn't seem reasonable if an other Gen VI game is coming.

And ORAS has the most legendary Pokemon ever. Why the rush to include all of them?

Has the Pokedex ever been completable before the last game of a generation? Since GSC?

In Gen 3 the Pokedex was completable before Emerald came out! Alternatively in Gen 5, the Pokedex was never completable amongst Gen 5 alone.

If Gen 6.5 was their intention, they would've made Z first, then release ORAS at the end of the generation. This way, the new mons could shine for two games instead of one.

Not really. Remakes tend to focus more on old Pokemon than new ones, the new Pokemon are just shoved into post game and don't really get the opportunity to shine.

Not really. Remakes tend to focus more on old Pokemon than new ones, the new Pokemon are just shoved into post game and don't really get the opportunity to shine.
I mean after XY, release Z with new Pokemon, then finish the generation with ORAS.
In Gen 3 the Pokedex was completable before Emerald came out! Alternatively in Gen 5, the Pokedex was never completable amongst Gen 5 alone.
But since Gen VI has all the Pokemon, why not leave some for Z?

ORAS clearly didn't need to achieve Pokedex finishing as a selling point. Being a long awaited remake is enough reason to buy it anyway.

It does kinda look like GF were in a rush to complete the Pokedex.

I mean after XY, release Z with new Pokemon, then finish the generation with ORAS.

I got that. I'm saying it doesn't matter all that much whether or not ORAS has Gen 6.5 Pokemon or not because they'd have just been crammed into post game anyway, you don't really get much of an opportunity to use them in the game.

There are mythical pokemon that they could include. Volcanion could be apart of the post game but that is unlikely. Z should not have new pokemon especially if was introduce first before ORAS. New pokemon are created for new gens and I prefer it that way.

Same reason they didn't leave any for Emerald?

One of the arguments against Gen 6.5 is that Gen 7 would come straight after. What if that is the mistake here.

They didn't handle the transition onto the 3DS very well, squeezing Gen 5 onto the DS years after 3DS was out, so what if they are trying to pad Gen 6 out until the NX comes out. They can't do a whole brand new Generation, as that'd be the same problem as Gen 5. Equally just leaving it as it is, would be very boring. So what if they need something that will breathe new life into Gen 6, without dragging it out too long that it interferes with Gen 7 on the NX. And 72 new Pokemon is a very low number, I know some people like to add in forms and megas but I don't see those as new Pokemon.

Also the number could be fairly small, 28 new Pokemon, maybe 1 mythical, in addition. Not another 72.

I'd love it if they reveal a new Pokemon and everyone is like "wahey Gen 7", then it turns out to be Gen 6 still.

One of the arguments against Gen 6.5 is that Gen 7 would come straight after. What if that is the mistake here.

They didn't handle the transition onto the 3DS very well, squeezing Gen 5 onto the DS years after 3DS was out, so what if they are trying to pad Gen 6 out until the NX comes out. They can't do a whole brand new Generation, as that'd be the same problem as Gen 5. Equally just leaving it as it is, would be very boring. So what if they need something that will breathe new life into Gen 6, without dragging it out too long that it interferes with Gen 7 on the NX. And 72 new Pokemon is a very low number, I know some people like to add in forms and megas but I don't see those as new Pokemon.

Also the number could be fairly small, 28 new Pokemon, maybe 1 mythical, in addition. Not another 72.

I'd love it if they reveal a new Pokemon and everyone is like "wahey Gen 7", then it turns out to be Gen 6 still.
I like how this sounds xD

Reactions: !Z!

New pokemon created in a new gen is a pattern that I believe wouldn't be broken. Other patterns can be broken but not this one in my opinion. Just have a mythical or two in Z.

Nagasaki is the basis for Slateport City and Hiroshima has never been visited in a Pokemon game (it's a few cities west of where Johto ends and on the mainland north of Hoenn).

Oh, wow. Slateport definitely has no hint of being anything similar to Nagasaki. And I definitely doubt we'll ever see Hiroshima, if only because Japanese-based regions seem a thing of the past.

I rather have gen 7 than gen 6.5 because gen 7 makes more sense. However, that leaves Zygarde in it's weak state for gen 6 and I don't see that happening.

I rather have gen 7 than gen 6.5 because gen 7 makes more sense. However, that leaves Zygarde in it's weak state for gen 6 and I don't see that happening.

Does it make more sense? If the NX is still quite a way off, but not far enough away to throw in a whole new generation, what could they do instead, another year long break?

By all means it could be a Z equivalent with no new Pokemon just like Emerald was, but with the addition of new Megas and Zygarde/Volcanion forms.

But also it's not impossible that they could go one step further from regional dex expansions and new forms, and expand the dex with some new Pokemon especially with the prospect of a Kalos expansion. Still part of the same region, but could there be new Pokemon there that weren't available in the old part?

Does it make more sense? If the NX is still quite a way off, but not far enough away to throw in a whole new generation, what could they do instead, another year long break?

By all means it could be a Z equivalent with no new Pokemon just like Emerald was, but with the addition of new Megas and Zygarde/Volcanion forms.

But also it's not impossible that they could go one step further from regional dex expansions and new forms, and expand the dex with some new Pokemon.

Just have mythical pokemon in Z because they weren't in the other games apart from Deoxys. Problem solved.

In Gen 5, when Unova was expanded, new Pokemon were present in those areas that weren't available elsewhere they just happened to be Pokemon we already knew about. That new area was still considered part of One Unova.

What if in the Southern Part of Kalos (still Kalos, One Kalos etc) there are also a few new Pokemon present in those areas, except this time they aren't Pokemon we already know about. They are Kalos Pokemon, but Pokemon we've not seen yet.

In Gen 5, when Unova was expanded, new Pokemon were present in those areas that weren't available elsewhere they just happened to be Pokemon we already knew about. That new area was still considered part of One Unova.

What if in the Southern Part of Kalos (still Kalos, One Kalos etc) there are also a few new Pokemon present in those areas, except this time they aren't Pokemon we already know about. They are Kalos Pokemon, but Pokemon we've not seen yet.

I don't think so. The best we can hope for is another mythical pokemon becoming available. Z could have pokemon XY hasn't got like Lugia and legendary dogs.

I think not revisiting Kalos would be weird and not make much sense at all. But seeing some of the moves GF are making, it could be.

You know, a wise airbender once said, "[W]hen you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself to the possibilities of a new reality." ;)

What I mean is, skipping over Kalos seems weird because they've never done it before. Or more specifically, because they've always gone back and "spruced up" the new region. But that's ultimately just another pattern waiting to be broken. Like Pokémon Græy. Like the Ruby/Sapphire remakes that were obviously going to be in Gen V because Gen V brought back currents and HM Dive and well, Gens III and IV had remakes so clearly...? Or like the Dragon-type Eeeveelution that they were definitely going to make because Eeveelutions "always" come in pairs and because Dragon was the only "Special" type to not have an Eeeveelution. Hell, even the notion of a new type being added in Gen VI was met with the same insistent cries of "They would never!" So yeah, at present, curtailing Gen VI and moving on to something else looks strange because they've never done it before. But that doesn't actually stop them from doing it.

And indeed, here we are, with Game Freak using completely unprecedented methods like the preemptive Zygarde promotion and the Strange Souvenir hinting at something beyond Gen VI, and yet the fandom still insists on these "patterns."

One thing that always struck me as odd about Kalos, as soon as I finished my first playthrough, was the fact that it had about as many towns and cities as Unova, but only one of those cities was reserved for the post-game, and even it was just a downsized Battle Tower. You effectively cover the entire Kalos region in the main game alone. There were no Sevii Islands. There was no post-game Kanto or Mt. Silver. There was no Battle Zone. There was no Eastern Unova. The only other region like this?

Hoenn.

In fact, Hoenn is so already-complete that OR/AS literally throw their arms up and give you the National Dex before you even earn your eighth badge, saying "Alright kid, you've done everything you really need to - now go run along and do whatever you want." Now, granted, Hoenn is more "free-range" and less linear than Kalos, but the principle is the same. Neither region seems to be particularly interested in updating itself after the fact.

This is of course why people keep speculating about a "Southern Kalos," but you know, I can't really see how that would fit. The transition to Northern Kalos would be very awkward. Do you have to go up through Vaniville and Aquacorde? Maybe, but that would weigh down the pacing, having to pass through the two bland "beginning" towns after you've already earned a badge or two. Do you take the train from Kiloude to Lumiose? Okay, but if that were the case, then the Battle Maison and the Friend Safari would likely be inaccessible or moved, and so Kiloude becomes an unrecognizable, glorified rest-stop. And then the trajectory would likely aim you at Anistar/Terminus Cave for the Zygarde plot to occur, but then how much of the West coast is closed off? When do you go to Shalour to pick up Mega Evolution?

I'm sure they're clever enough to think of something if they wanted to, but as it stands, I'm not seeing how it would work.

And that's my big issue with "Z" and a return to Kalos. Yes, the bare minimum is there. They *could* cobble together a perfunctory "Pokémon Z" with nothing new to offer aside from not-really-new-anymore Zygarde forms that are completely expected and cannot be used in the 2016 VGCs anyway, a couple of new areas, new clothes, and a Rhyhorn Racing minigame. Or they could do something big, new, and inventive. And if ever there were a time to go big and to show that you've still got it, the 20th anniversary is the time.

You know, a wise airbender once said, "[W]hen you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself to the possibilities of a new reality." ;)

What I mean is, skipping over Kalos seems weird because they've never done it before. Or more specifically, because they've always gone back and "spruced up" the new region. But that's ultimately just another pattern waiting to be broken. Like Pokémon Græy. Like the Ruby/Sapphire remakes that were obviously going to be in Gen V because Gen V brought back currents and HM Dive and well, Gens III and IV had remakes so clearly...? Or like the Dragon-type Eeeveelution that they were definitely going to make because Eeveelutions "always" come in pairs and because Dragon was the only "Special" type to not have an Eeeveelution. Hell, even the notion of a new type being added in Gen VI was met with the same insistent cries of "They would never!" So yeah, at present, curtailing Gen VI and moving on to something else looks strange because they've never done it before. But that doesn't actually stop them from doing it.

And indeed, here we are, with Game Freak using completely unprecedented methods like the preemptive Zygarde promotion and the Strange Souvenir hinting at something beyond Gen VI, and yet the fandom still insists on these "patterns."

One thing that always struck me as odd about Kalos, as soon as I finished my first playthrough, was the fact that it had about as many towns and cities as Unova, but only one of those cities was reserved for the post-game, and even it was just a downsized Battle Tower. You effectively cover the entire Kalos region in the main game alone. There were no Sevii Islands. There was no post-game Kanto or Mt. Silver. There was no Battle Zone. There was no Eastern Unova. The only other region like this?
Hoenn.

In fact, Hoenn is so already-complete that OR/AS literally throw their arms up and give you the National Dex before you even earn your eighth badge, saying "Alright kid, you've done everything you really need to - now go run along and do whatever you want." Now, granted, Hoenn is more "free-range" and less linear than Kalos, but the principle is the same. Neither region seems to be particularly interested in updating itself after the fact.

This is of course why people keep speculating about a "Southern Kalos," but you know, I can't really see how that would fit. The transition to Northern Kalos would be very awkward. Do you have to go up through Vaniville and Aquacorde? Maybe, but that would weigh down the pacing, having to pass through the two bland "beginning" towns after you've already earned a badge or two. Do you take the train from Kiloude to Lumiose? Okay, but if that were the case, then the Battle Maison and the Friend Safari would likely be inaccessible or moved, and so Kiloude becomes an unrecognizable, glorified rest-stop. And then the trajectory would likely aim you at Anistar/Terminus Cave for the Zygarde plot to occur, but then how much of the West coast is closed off? When do you go to Shalour to pick up Mega Evolution?

I'm sure they're clever enough to think of something if they wanted to, but as it stands, I'm not seeing how it would work.

And that's my big issue with "Z" and a return to Kalos. Yes, the bare minimum is there. They *could* cobble together a perfunctory "Pokémon Z" with nothing new to offer aside from not-really-new-anymore Zygarde forms that are completely expected and cannot be used in the 2016 VGCs anyway, a couple of new areas, new clothes, and a Rhyhorn Racing minigame. Or they could do something big, new, and inventive. And if ever there were a time to go big and to show that you've still got it, the 20th anniversary is the time.

Sounds like you're the one who's narrowing your possibilities. Skipping over Kalos is a tremendous waste of potential and there is much more they can do with the game to justify another release.

As far as the region goes, you're really trying to read too much into things and force patterns that aren't there. You're saying that Kalos is a complete region because it's bigger than Unova and doesn't have post game areas like Hoenn, but that really isn't saying much because Unova is among one of the smaller regions in the game and Hoenn is significantly larger than Unova and Kalos. So that's no excuse for Kalos not to expand, and there's plenty of potential for them to expand. They could add a lot of areas to Southern Kalos and there's also a little bit of space in the northeast corner of the map. As for how Northern Kalos could connect to Southern Kalos, they could simply have a new path that connects to Camphrier Town.

There's also a lot they could explore with the lore and storyline to justify a new game. Zygarde is shaping up to be an interesting mascot that could easily fit into the region's lore. It's said to monitor the ecosystem and reveal its secret power when the region is threatened, and even with the reveal of the new forms it's still not clear how it accomplishes this. Whatever the case, it probably won't be too happy with Team Flare running amok and threatening the region. Then there's Volcanion, who is revered in Southern Kalos and who Maxie and Archie were searching for before the events of ORAS. Plus he has an unusual organ in his body that allows him to expel steam, what is this organ? And then there's Eternal Flower Floette, a super powered form of Floette almost equal in power to a Florges. What created this form change? What is the connection between its flower and the Ultimate Weapon? Outside of legendaries, there's some other plotlines left to explore. What happened to Lysandre after the events of XY? What exactly is Malva's role in Team Flare? What is AZ's full name? Who is Aster if not AZ and what is his connection to Zinnia? What is the significance of Terminus Cave? Just what is the Anistar Sundial?

And then there's the possibility of entirely new Pokemon debuting in this game which could serve as the surprising twist that would grab people's attention and breathe new life into the region. New Pokemon would add a completely different experience to a familiar region and shake up the concept of a Pokemon generation.

So no, there's plenty they could do with a return to Kalos that it would feel like a crime for them to leave us with just XY. This isn't about wanting to stick to the script. It's about wanting a mediocre region to get the facelift it deserves and redeem itself. If Game Freak wants to change up the formula so they don't have to revisit the region that's fine, but if they want to go that route they need to nail it the first time through and not leave any loose ends or unfinished business. This is an awful lot to discard simply because the promotional schedule is weird.

I'm all for Pokemon doing something new (and I'd rather not have another 3rd Edition), but I don't think we would have an "XY&Z!" or anything similar if we were done in Kalos. Its all Kalos centric mythology, yet to be explored in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom