• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that both could've been a lot better than they were. XY could've used a lot more extra content and post game areas to flesh itself out, but instead gave us a bare minimum post game the likes of which we hadn't seen since 2nd or 3rd gen. If they'd have had that, then maybe you could make the argument that they feel like complete games, but I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that XY is "fine", especially if you compare them to what we've gotten in past generation debut games like DP or BW1.

Even if it had a wonderful post-game besides Looker and Kiloude, what it was lacking was in the main story. Every game has lackluster post-game except Johto and Sinnoh, which give you brand new landmasses to explore.

Even if it had a wonderful post-game besides Looker and Kiloude, what it was lacking was in the main story. Every game has lackluster post-game except Johto and Sinnoh, which give you brand new landmasses to explore.

In terms of areas, Unova (both BW1 and BW2) and FRLG were fine too (Kanto in all of its incarnations are lacking sidequests and bonus content though).

I don't really care about the main story as much as some people, the middle of the game was somewhat barren, but that's about it.

Anybody wondering what the "world exclusive scoop poster" in next month's CoroCoro supposed to be? When I think of a poster when it comes to Pokemon, I think of the anime and movies.

As for the "major announcement" bit of it... I'm not even going to go there. Despite what Serebii continues to stress about it being only about the movie, I'm not going to either agree or disagree with it. I'll give the guy credit that he's accurate, but he's still human like the rest of us... they may or may not have gotten that translation right, I don't know.
I'm keeping my expectations in check and saying that it'll show a new form of Volcanion and possibly even Zygarde.

Let's be honest here, compared to what ORAS could have been, they are tremendously underwhelming.
Compared to what they could have been if bulbagarden users directed them? Sure. Like almost every game.
XY are just fine though.
So ORAS are tremendously underwhelming but XY are just fine? o_O

PD I think both are fine for a debut game and a long awaited remake, respectively.

Last edited:
I'd love the February CoroCoro to have either a new Zygarde forme or Volcanion form. Maybe some info or hinting towards AZ and E Floette. However I'm keeping my expectations low, probably just some movie details. They've overhyped before.

Sounds like you're the one who's narrowing your possibilities. Skipping over Kalos is a tremendous waste of potential and there is much more they can do with the game to justify another release.

As far as the region goes, you're really trying to read too much into things and force patterns that aren't there. You're saying that Kalos is a complete region because it's bigger than Unova and doesn't have post game areas like Hoenn, but that really isn't saying much because Unova is among one of the smaller regions in the game and Hoenn is significantly larger than Unova and Kalos. So that's no excuse for Kalos not to expand, and there's plenty of potential for them to expand. They could add a lot of areas to Southern Kalos and there's also a little bit of space in the northeast corner of the map. As for how Northern Kalos could connect to Southern Kalos, they could simply have a new path that connects to Camphrier Town.

There's also a lot they could explore with the lore and storyline to justify a new game. Zygarde is shaping up to be an interesting mascot that could easily fit into the region's lore. It's said to monitor the ecosystem and reveal its secret power when the region is threatened, and even with the reveal of the new forms it's still not clear how it accomplishes this. Whatever the case, it probably won't be too happy with Team Flare running amok and threatening the region. Then there's Volcanion, who is revered in Southern Kalos and who Maxie and Archie were searching for before the events of ORAS. Plus he has an unusual organ in his body that allows him to expel steam, what is this organ? And then there's Eternal Flower Floette, a super powered form of Floette almost equal in power to a Florges. What created this form change? What is the connection between its flower and the Ultimate Weapon? Outside of legendaries, there's some other plotlines left to explore. What happened to Lysandre after the events of XY? What exactly is Malva's role in Team Flare? What is AZ's full name? Who is Aster if not AZ and what is his connection to Zinnia? What is the significance of Terminus Cave? Just what is the Anistar Sundial?

And then there's the possibility of entirely new Pokemon debuting in this game which could serve as the surprising twist that would grab people's attention and breathe new life into the region. New Pokemon would add a completely different experience to a familiar region and shake up the concept of a Pokemon generation.

So no, there's plenty they could do with a return to Kalos that it would feel like a crime for them to leave us with just XY. This isn't about wanting to stick to the script. It's about wanting a mediocre region to get the facelift it deserves and redeem itself. If Game Freak wants to change up the formula so they don't have to revisit the region that's fine, but if they want to go that route they need to nail it the first time through and not leave any loose ends or unfinished business. This is an awful lot to discard simply because the promotional schedule is weird.
This actually sums up my thoughts quite nicely. While Game Freak could get away with only two games for a region, Kalos simply has too many loose ends to tie up, so skipping Kalos would just be a bad move on Game Freak's part since it implies that they stopped caring about finishing what they started.

That being said, while new Pokémon debuting in a Kalos Third Game would be a welcome change, I can also see Alexander's point about how pointless it getting a new set of Pokémon would be if we are getting another set in the next installment immediately after. Basically, the Gen 6.5 Pokémon would only get one installment/pair of installments to shine before the Gen. 7 crew hogs the spotlight.

Due to these two line of thoughts ( with the Gen. 6.5 being more unlikely to happen, but still plausible), I could only see about 15 or so Pokémon introduced for Gen 6.5 at maximum. Ideally, I can see the following new Pokés being introduced:
  • +2: New Ground-type mammal line
  • +2: A two-staged Bug/Water-type snail (Stereotype of the French and snails, with a Bug/Water type that doesn't lose its typing upon evolution)
  • +2: A rare Fairy/Ground gallic rooster based on France's national bird, and a rare Dragon/Flying French Imperial Eagle based on the first and second French Empires (Dark/Flying would be too similar to Yveltal's typing, plus dragons are usually associated with castles and kingdoms/empire across the globe anyways)
  • +1: A Ghost/Fairy faceless Pokémon based on the "horde of faceless men" tale told in that house on Route 14
  • +5: random non-legends
  • +2: Legendary duo
  • +1: A stand-alone mythical Pokémon for the Cave of Emptiness that doubles as the Mew for this generation, as in all base 100 stats across the board (no idea what type to give it)
Granted, this is all very unlikely, but it's what I can see GF doing. I also highly doubt that a potential Gen. 6.5 would give us another group of starters since the Kalos trio already got overshadow by the Kanto starter's Megas. Starters really should be left for a new generation, even if we have a new set Pokémon introduced in the same one.

Also, I'm glad to see that the Detective Pikachu game hasn't been cancelled. I just hope it still has that Blue Pikachu plot-point intact so we can finally have Pikablu be real to an extent.

Last edited:
I think regardless of what our opinion's are and how they may differ we should just take the next few weeks to enjoy ourselves because whatever ends up being revealed in Corocoro is pretty much guaranteed to be completely balls-off-the-wall brand spanking new to us all. Which is exciting. We've made it through the dry months of nothing (somehow without any severe casualities) and now we're almost at the beautiful oasis of news again. :D

This actually sums up my thoughts quite nicely. While Game Freak could get away with only two games for a region, Kalos simply has too many loose ends to tie up, so skipping Kalos would just be a bad move on Game Freak's part since it implies that they stopped caring about finishing what they started.

That being said, while new Pokémon debuting in a Kalos Third Game would be a welcome change, I can also see Alexander's point about how pointless it getting a new set of Pokémon would be if we are getting another set in the next installment immediately after. Basically, the Gen 6.5 Pokémon would only get one installment/pair of installments to shine before the Gen. 7 crew hogs the spotlight.

Due to these two line of thoughts ( with the Gen. 6.5 being more unlikely to happen, but still plausible), I could only see about 15 or so Pokémon introduced for Gen 6.5 at maximum. Ideally, I can see the following new Pokés being introduced:
  • +2: New Ground-type mammal line
  • +2: A two-staged Bug/Water-type snail (Stereotype of the French and snails, with a Bug/Water type that doesn't lose its typing upon evolution)
  • +2: A rare Fairy/Ground gallic rooster based on France's national bird, and a rare Dragon/Flying French Imperial Eagle based on the first and second French Empires (Dark/Flying would be too similar to Yveltal's typing, plus dragons are usually associated with castles and kingdoms/empire across the globe anyways)
  • +1: A Ghost/Fairy faceless Pokémon based on the "horde of faceless men" tale told in that house on Route 14
  • +5: random non-legends
  • +2: Legendary duo
  • +1: A stand-alone mythical Pokémon for the Cave of Emptiness that doubles as the Mew for this generation, as in all base 100 stats across the board (no idea what type to give it)
Granted, this is all very unlikely, but it's what I can see GF doing. I also highly doubt that a potential Gen. 6.5 would give us another group of starters since the Kalos trio already got overshadow by the Kanto starter's Megas. Starters really should be left for a new generation, even if we have a new set Pokémon introduced in the same one.

Also, I'm glad to see that the Detective Pikachu game hasn't been cancelled. I just hope it still has that Blue Pikachu plot-point intact so we can finally have Pikablu be real to an extent.

15 isn't going to be enough for Gen 6.5. For one, they should really have at least one Gen 6.5 Pokemon for every type. If they don't, fans of that particular type will feel cheated. Also, we have to take the new Kalos Dex into consideration. There's probably going to be a 4th subdex for Southern Kalos, and if we want to divide the total Pokemon into equally sized subdexes, we need a total size roughly divisible by 4. Which means they'd probably want around 480-500 total with 120-125 in each subdex. So somewhere in the 30-50 range would be more appropriate.

As for what kinds of Pokemon should make up the new ones, they should focus on complementing what Kalos already has. There's no need for new starters, new mascots, new regional birds/rodents/bugs. They could possibly get away with another pseudo-legend, but that's not really necessary either. I would add a legendary trio that relates to the mortality trio in some way, a Dragon type Eeveelution to pair up with Sylveon, maybe one extra event Pokemon, and aside from that just random new families.

Well, after seeing all these comments, (and I'm fairly new here) I'd like to share some neat facts they could do with a possible Southern Kalos.
For me, I don't see 7th Gen as the next game we're getting next. I'd like them to finish up 6th Gen as how it's SUPPOSED to be, no matter how "boring" some people think it'll be. GF has been going through some unpredictable patterns, and Kalos is no different than this.

If the full Kalos region with a possible Southern Kalos could look like "L'hexagone" the main shape of the region of France. After all, in X and Y, we only have half of Zygarde's true potential and pretty much, half of Kalos. Perfect (Complete) Zygarde seems to represent it's own region due to it's royal appearance by it's crown-head, and the tons of Hexagons on it's body embodies the "L'hexagone" concept.
It fits in very well with the monarchical focus of Kalos's (France) culture. Almost as if Zygarde is the Pokémon equivalent of a Kalosian king, keeping watch over the entire region And it's name is a portmanteau from Zygote, and either guard,/gard, from Midgard. A Zygote is the most basic developmental stage in multi cellular organisms, containing all the genetic information to create a new individual.During the development process, the organism copies itself through mitosis, and eventually all these copies fuse together to create the new individual, it's kind of the reoccurring theme of biology, since in the Japanese X and Y titles, it has a rainbow DNA-like symbol in it, which is Mega-Evolution. In single celled organisms however, they divide asexually through Mitosis. If you look at the animation of Thousand Waves, I'd say that represents the sole concept of the Zygote. Zygarde seems like it's splitting itself into all these little Hexagons, and then they all form together to not create a new being, but a big wave.

Man, this is brilliant. Two Zygarde cores...Two halves of Kalos...Two Zygarde 50% each looking for their area's ecosystem. In the anime, the Blue Core lives in Terminus Cave and it's associated with Zygarde 50% because it's the Zygarde we've already met, and therefore it's the Nortern Kalos Core. On the other hand, there is the Red Core "Puni-chan", someone who is in its weakest state due to Team Flare experiments, and it's looking for the far away place where it lives (Southern Kalos), making it the Southern Kalos Core. And Fridge Brillance: The Red Core is with the group because they are heading to its home in Southern Kalos, much like we will when the next game gets announced.

They only problem is that the Southern Core can control the Northern Cells, but they can solve it easily by saying both cores can control all cells.

The Kalos region we know has the form of a pentagon. And what happens when you put two pentagons together? an hexagon.

Compared to what they could have been if bulbagarden users directed them? Sure. Like almost every game.

Not just Bulbagarden. The whole internet. Everyone was clamoring for actual postgame content. Battle Frontier. Granted, it was probably too late in the cycle once they saw all the Battle Frontier requests, and then once they saw all the anger and disappointment that it wasn't included, they better have gone "Oh shit, we fucked up guys, let's take our time with the next game(s) and include a Battle Frontier".

15 isn't going to be enough for Gen 6.5. For one, they should really have at least one Gen 6.5 Pokemon for every type. If they don't, fans of that particular type will feel cheated. Also, we have to take the new Kalos Dex into consideration. There's probably going to be a 4th subdex for Southern Kalos, and if we want to divide the total Pokemon into equally sized subdexes, we need a total size roughly divisible by 4. Which means they'd probably want around 480-500 total with 120-125 in each subdex. So somewhere in the 30-50 range would be more appropriate.

As for what kinds of Pokemon should make up the new ones, they should focus on complementing what Kalos already has. There's no need for new starters, new mascots, new regional birds/rodents/bugs. They could possibly get away with another pseudo-legend, but that's not really necessary either. I would add a legendary trio that relates to the mortality trio in some way, a Dragon type Eeveelution to pair up with Sylveon, maybe one extra event Pokemon, and aside from that just random new families.
While I agree that 15 is a bit underwhelming, given the sheer amount that Kalos has between the three subdexes and the fact that Gen. 7 might come right after that, adding 30-50 Pokémon only to be overshadowed immediately after doesn't seem right either. You're right about type diversity however, so Game Freak should focus on getting the number of Kalos-introduced Pokémon roughly equal. Basically, the types attached to eight or more or more Gen 6 introduced Pokémon should be low priority. Once they get the lesser types up to 10 Pokémon based on the lack of that type in Gen 6, (not 10 evolutionary lines, but 10 Pokémon species) then they can add a trio, one duo, and a stand-alone mythical Pokémon with 100 stats across the board (aka the Mew that Kalos is currently missing). Anything more before Gen 7 would be over-saturation in my opinion.

I think 50 is way too much. I could see them doing somewhere between 28-40 to give us a full total of 100-110 new Kalos Pokémon, but not really 120, not for an even-numbered Generation.

I think 50 is way too much. I could see them doing somewhere between 28-40 to give us a full total of 100-110 new Kalos Pokémon, but not really 120, not for an even-numbered Generation.

I love how people keeping sticking to this arbitrary pattern as if it's absolute law. That's one pattern that needs to die, they should be able to make however many Pokemon they want.

Not just Bulbagarden. The whole internet. Everyone was clamoring for actual postgame content. Battle Frontier. Granted, it was probably too late in the cycle once they saw all the Battle Frontier requests, and then once they saw all the anger and disappointment that it wasn't included, they better have gone "Oh shit, we fucked up guys, let's take our time with the next game(s) and include a Battle Frontier".

1. The Gen III Frontier was so requested because of nostalgia. Not real game value. Game Freak knew that people wouldn't enjoy it as much as they think they would. That's why they focused on more fun concepts like DexNav.
I thought I missed the Frontier. I decided to play it on my GBA out of nostalgia and surprisingly, it was much less exciting compared to ten years ago, when I first played it. Those are the kind of features that grow more boring the more you reuse them. That's why the Frontier was discontinued after Gen IV. And why it wasn't in ORAS.

2) What GF needs to do is make a Brand New Frontier, with new facilities that are exciting and fun for today's players. Not reusing the Emerald or Platinum one. But you see that wasn't ORAS's job, since it's a remake. Maybe in Gen VII?

3) Also, this fandom of ours is never satisfied. If the Emerald BF was indeed in ORAS, people would've whined about something else. It is a law of this fandom: never be satisfied.

Last edited:
I think regardless of what our opinion's are and how they may differ we should just take the next few weeks to enjoy ourselves because whatever ends up being revealed in Corocoro is pretty much guaranteed to be completely balls-off-the-wall brand spanking new to us all. Which is exciting. We've made it through the dry months of nothing (somehow without any severe casualities) and now we're almost at the beautiful oasis of news again. :D
I'm certainly waiting for the 10th to come fast. Whatever the news is, will likely be a sure sign of what will be coming, or not. I mean, sure we can guess it might involve Zygarde, but its all vague right now. This might be more....concrete.

I love how people keeping sticking to this arbitrary pattern as if it's absolute law. That's one pattern that needs to die, they should be able to make however many Pokemon they want.
Anecodtally,Kalos has only 70 new Pokemon or so, and 30 or so new megas, which roughly is about the same amount of Johto/Sinoh Pokemon totals, while both also have roughly 70 new Pokemon when you remove the cross gen(pre)evolutions. This one has always been the weakest "pattern" but for some reason it has the most steam fuelling it.

I don't believe gen 6.5 would happen or a two region game. Gen 6.5 sounds terrible and is a waste of time since gen 7 is after Z. GSC and HGSS prove that two regions in one game is a bad idea due to pokemon levels in several areas. I think that we are getting Z or whatever it is called and that Volcanion may be in the game as post game. I already had to deal with ORAS which excluded Emerald content. Don't need a gen 6.5 to add to my dislike list.

I have been playing Devil's Advocate for every side of every argument these past few months. I'm allowed at least one delusion and this is it. Every even-numbered region introduces 100-110 Pokémon, and every odd-numbered region introduces 130-160 Pokémon.

That's not counting forms, because if it did, Gen. 6 would probably be the one with most additions of all. Not even kidding, it was around 144 BEFORE OR/AS.

Though I am open to more than 110, I refuse to go below 100 ever again.

This idea has been proposed, it would kinda be like gen 6.5, the .5 part referring to new Pokemon but not necessarily to gen 7 Pokemon. (though they could drop small hints to the Pokemon being connected to gen 7 region)

I'm down with the idea honestly. It would give this potential "Z" or whatever the name is some actual fresh content. Because let's face it, since OR/AS, pretty much every Pokemon has been somehow made available and this "Z" would only have to offer new Mega Evolutions and Zygarde forms in terms of the new Pokemon content which IMO isn't enough. There needs to be something new, like new Pokemon you just proposed.

Agreed XD

This is basically what I've said since 2014. I don't believe in it as strongly as I used to, but I still think it sounds like a nice idea possibly, if done right.

I'm gonna ask something regarding Zygarde. So far we know hatbPerfect is all he cells and all the cores together right? Right. So what I'm wondering is, what if Perfect isn't the 100% forme. What if, there are 3 of them. We all assume that for there to be twl hypothetical sequels we need two formes, thus ruling out this idea cause of perfect. But what if Perfect is an uncontrollable force of nature in tje games,or even Anime only? What if the end goal of the games is Zugarde 100% Red/Blue, which entirely depends on which core is in control. We always assume that's it for Zygarde cause of Perfect being complete in regards of the cells, but mever how the cores could come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom