• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serebii posted about a special Pokemon celebration that's supposed to be in the Rockefeller Center in New York to celebrate the 20th anniversary and Pokemon Day on the 27th. If not a Direct or CoroCoro reveal, I could see them showcasing a reveal trailer towards the end of the festivities and then immediately uploading it online.

I think there's more levels than just simply hardcore and casual. I mean a casual is someone who just sees a new Pokemon game on the shelf and is like, ok why not give that one a try. They play through the story maybe beat the Elite four and that's it.

A hardcore fan to me is someone on the competitive scene, their constantly breeding, divising teams, movesets, looking for hidden abilities, asking for this Pokemon, with this nature, IVs in these stats etc. When they go into battles they know what the opponent will do before they do it, because its the same teams played over and over again.

I consider myself in between. I mean I'm here on a Pokemon site, and I follow the news yearly, after I beat the E4 I do try and get some of the post game, and I've tried my hand at battling others a few times, so I'm definitely no casual.

At the same time, I've never completed the dex, i don't take the competitive scene seriously, I get bored of the battle facilities after a while, after 20 years I'm still not 100% on the type matchups, so I'm no hardcore fan either.

It's definitely not a binary concept. In many ways I'm a hardcore fan, I complete the games as much as possible, indulging in most if not all of the extra content, I complete the Pokedex as much as possible and I've even succeeded in some games, and I've collected as many Pokemon with HAs as possible. The thing is though, I've never really been interested in competitive, I'm mainly looking for a deep and open ended experience. So frankly I'm a little insulted that Game Freak acts like all hardcore audiences want are competitive tournaments. You can't really typecast the fanbase as either casual players who just want to play through the story and then drop the game or hardcore players that do every single thing there is to do in the game, the fanbase is a lot more diverse than that and the game design should reflect that.

I don't think that a Rockefeller Center announcement would be fair. Only a handful of (American) fans would get to experience the announcement in a special way. Other people would just randomly see an update regarding an event they couldn't attend.

At least Worlds is an international event. Even then, only localizations and relatively minor things are announced there.

Unless of course it's posted to Twitter at the exact same time.
That's what AgentRosa basically said, but I still don't see how it would be fair. Only a select few fans would have a unique experience. Sure, if you just care about the bottom line then it doesn't matter, but then why tie the announcement to the event at all?

Last edited:
Who gives a fuck?
If that's your attitude, then I repeat: Why tie the announcement to the event?

Anyway, an announcement on the very of RGBY's VC release would be too distracting. If anything, the announcement should take place around two weeks earlier so that people can still focus on the old games when they're released.

Last edited:
Yes, they are.

That's your [irrelevant] opinion, it's not fact. We are not goldfish, we are people.

Announcing a game on the anniversary in one of the biggest cultural centers of the world is sure to garner much media attention than if they announced it in some ordinary fashion, and obviously the key point everyone would be focused on here is the [hypothetical] TRAILER, not the celebration itself, which would still be a fun event. No one ever complained that they couldn't go to E3 when Mega Kangaskhan was revealed and that is a MASSIVE event for all gamers, I doubt anyone will complain about this. Especially if there is no trailer to be found after all.

Anyway, ignoring this silly argument and changing gears, I honestly do hope that any future Kalos installment keeps Emma's story.

If it's sequels, have her appear as Essentia. If it's prequels, have us see her origins and how she met Mimi. If it's a third version, sprinkle it across the entire main story instead of having it condensed into a post-game plot of like 2 hours (except... maybe only keep the four consecutive battles at Lysandre Labs post-game). Whatever they do, I just pray GameFreak doesn't do the unthinkable and erase Emma, Mimi and Looker's story from a third version. I don't think my heart could handle that any more than it could handle the storyline itself in X...

Tbh I'd say a reveal trailer at Rockefeller Center is way different compared to a reveal trailer at Worlds Championship. I'm not really going to expect one to happen.

If it's sequels, have her appear as Essentia. If it's prequels, have us see her origins and how she met Mimi. If it's a third version, sprinkle it across the entire main story instead of having it condensed into a post-game plot of like 2 hours (except... maybe only keep the four consecutive battles at Lysandre Labs post-game). Whatever they do, I just pray GameFreak doesn't do the unthinkable and erase Emma, Mimi and Looker's story from a third version. I don't think my heart could handle that any more than it could handle the storyline itself in X...

I'd like to see Emma as the Kalos Champion if we get sequels.

Oh that'd be amazing. Maybe with Mimi in her team too!

I dunno... It very much seems like her legacy is following in Looker's footsteps. I could definitely see her being Lumiose Chief of Police in sequels. Or still running the Looker Bureau as a full-fledged Detective.

Though to be fair, her 8 Pokémon (9 including Mimi) are far more diverse and tougher than Diantha's s**t team. But her being Champion would also mean she defeated us as Calem/Serena, and she seems to idolize us way too much to challenge us for the title. Maybe we give it to her like Red seemingly gave it to Lance? Maybe, but I doubt it, since it seems like we'd give it to Serena/Calem instead. Then again, Blue wasn't the temporary Champion in Red's absence, but they weren't best friends like Calem and Serena are.

ORAS was first revealed in an investor's meeting, and I can guarantee you none of us were invited to that. Unless you kissed Masuda's ass or something to that effect.

I also don't see how announcing it the same day as the VC releases would be distracting enough to affect sales; it's not like the game would be released that same day, it would just be getting announced if it ever does. The VC releases have been getting loads of hype since November, I imagine that a massive amount of fans have already made up their minds of whether to buy them or not.

ORAS was first revealed in an investor's meeting
They were announced online a day before that meeting.

I also don't see how announcing it the same day as the VC releases would be distracting enough to affect sales; it's not like the game would be released that same day, it would just be getting announced if it ever does. The VC releases have been getting loads of hype since November, I imagine that a massive amount of fans have already made up their minds of whether to buy them or not.
It may or may not affect sales, but rather than being excited to finally play the VC games right away, most fans would be thinking about the announcement. There is no need to risk that happening when the announcement could happen at any time.

They were announced online a day before that meeting.

See? It doesn't make a difference. We're in the age of the Internet, it's not going to matter where or how. The news will spread like wildfire, faster than when the fandom developes fanart within minutes after new Pokemon are revealed. If you want to talk about what's "fair" or not when it comes to the fanbase, not every part of the world gets the same merchandise. And when they do, it's not always on par with everybody else's worldwide releases. *coughEuropecough*

It may or may not affect sales, but rather than being excited to finally play the VC games right away, most fans would be thinking about the announcement. There is no need to risk that happening when the announcement could happen at any time.

You talk like its a bad thing to be excited about two things at once. Who are you to judge what everybody in the fandom thinks or feels? It's the 20th Anniversary for Arceus sake. We all should be excited about the whole thing, an announcement of the upcoming game on the very anniversary itself wouldn't be a bad thing.

Does anyone else feel that Nintendo need to do better advertising? Games like Xenoblade Chronicles X got a trailer, but didn't showcase tha greatest features of the game. The Directs also need to get a bit better. If they gave us a good Pokemon trailer, I'm sure the hype would increase extremely.

See? It doesn't make a difference. We're in the age of the Internet, it's not going to matter where or how. The news will spread like wildfire, faster than when the fandom developes fanart within minutes after new Pokemon are revealed. If you want to talk about what's "fair" or not when it comes to the fanbase, not every part of the world gets the same merchandise. And when they do, it's not always on par with everybody else's worldwide releases. *coughEuropecough*
If they have to make an announcement at a local event, I don't see why it would happen anywhere but Japan. All I'm saying is that I don't see a compelling reason to assume that the timing will coincide with an event in NYC.

We all should be excited about the whole thing, an announcement of the upcoming game on the very anniversary itself wouldn't be a bad thing.
Even if just a fraction of the fans lose their eagerness to buy the VC games upon launch, it means that the timing could be better. I'd say that an earlier announcement would be better as it would allow the hype to settle down a bit.

But you're free to expect an announcement on the 27th even though they haven't promised anything. I am more interested in the movie news.

Yeah. I wonder how many easter eggs Gamefreak put into these games purely for shits and giggles amongst themselves, like when the Disney animators put Mrs Potts and Chips into Tarzan, or Rapunzel and Flynn into Frozen. You're never sure if it's just a fun inside joke or purely to screw with the audience.
I'm pretty sure Rapunzel and Flynn in Frozen is actually a canonical appearance after Tangled and not an easter egg like the cups from Beauty and the beast. And even then, Tarzan is like the last movie in the timeline. I'm not joking, there is an actual timeline to the Disney movies.

10% is a weird inclusion for a sequence 10% -> 50% -> 100%. I wonder why they didn't opt for 25% -> 50% -> 100% instead. Why 10%?

Wouldn't be totally disapproving of more Zygarde forms if they do happen because I love the very alien aesthetic of Zygarde 10/50% (50% is also one of my favourite legendaries and I don't like legendaries often at all), they're like normal creatures that have been invaded by some sort of sci-fi movie parasite. I love it. But I wonder what animal other % could/would be. Xerneas and Yveltal probably rule out deer and bird, while we have a canine and a snake so far.

Complete Zygarde seems to somewhat take from 50% with its snake tail and the face on its chest, but nothing from 10% seems to be there though.
Exactly. The jump in precentages for the formes is very erratic for it to be the final line up. 30, 70, and 90 makes a lot of sense, and it could be fun to see where tjey can go with it. As for what they can do, I would assume the inbetween for dog to snake could be some form of a bird, and then 70 and 90 could be a bit abstract.
Tbh I'd say a reveal trailer at Rockefeller Center is way different compared to a reveal trailer at Worlds Championship. I'm not really going to expect one to happen.

Champion Clemont is my bedt bet in sequels, with Bonnie taking over the gym.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom