• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine that the core target audience for the Generation I Virtual Console releases are existing 3DS-owning Pokémon fans who are either older and want to feel nostalgic or younger and curious to see where it all began. The only aspect of their release that strikes me as an attempt at appealing to non-current owners are the Japanese and European 2DS bundles; by using the cheapest hardware variant in a specified bundle to significantly lower the cost of entry.

You misunderstand. I'm not suggesting that the NX will be a single unit like a hybrid but rather, there will be entirely separate hardware models that simply run on the same architecture; with a relationship similar to the iPhone and iPad. So gamers could still choose to purchase a handheld or home console, but the two would share a closer relationship than their predecessors, such as the same Virtual Console library or even some NX games.

If any of Nintendo's consoles need to be replaced, it's the Nintendo 3DS. It's technology was old when it launched five years ago and it's ancient by today's standards.
That sounds much better.

Anyway, I hope the 3DS stays around for as long as possible, cause I personally like it. And we also got the New 3DS too.

That sounds much better.

Anyway, I hope the 3DS stays around for as long as possible, cause I personally like it. And we also got the New 3DS too.
The New 3DS is little more than a stop-gap to help jump-start declining sales; just like the DSi and DSi XL were before the 3DS came along. It says a lot that there's only been one New 3DS-exclusive retail release and even games that likely should have been, like Hyrule Warriors Legends are simply "New 3DS Enhanced".

If people consider releasing gen 5 on the ds a ''mistake'' that's their problem. Masuda himself said they wanted to make two pokemon ''sequels''(which can be interpreted as a generation here) for the ds because of it's grooming popularity back then. If the nx will not replace both the 3ds and wii u, then it's likely that the next generation will be on the 3ds.

Which is considerably outnumbered by 3ds sales by almost ~48 millions.

It was more a problem for Nintendo, of which Game Freak, while not being the same as, are a part of. They had their brand new console floating around in stores for almost 3 years before their biggest selling franchise had put a game on there. That's a long time when you consider the lifespan of these handheld consoles. That had to have harmed sales, and indeed the 3DS took ages to pick up and didn't do as well as the DS or even half as well.

Like i said before, it didn't stop Game Freak from developing B/W for the DS to take advantage of DSi's capabilities; so it's possible that they'll do the same for the N3DS.

I can see them squeezing another Gen onto the 3DS. It may be a tight fit in time constraints, but they can clearly handle that. I've been thinking it for months, that Game Freak might give the 3DS one last big hurrah before moving on to a new platform.

I can see them squeezing another Gen onto the 3DS. It may be a tight fit in time constraints, but they can clearly handle that. I've been thinking it for months, that Game Freak might give the 3DS one last big hurrah before moving on to a new platform.

Unless your planning the shortest generation ever, that would mean no Pokemon on the NX until 2019.

Like i said before, it didn't stop Game Freak from developing B/W for the DS to take advantage of DSi's capabilities; so it's possible that they'll do the same for the N3DS.
BW and BW2 are best described as DSi 'enhanced' (albeit minorly so). at best, there would be some small features that would take advantage of the New 3DS (perhaps better 3D given the New 3DS's following 3d), but otherwise it would not really 3DS exclusive or even sort of a 'best played on a 3DS'-type game.

The one thing gen 7 being N3DS can offer is a more frefform camera which can be controlled with the second nub, ans shortcut option from the two new shoulder buttons. Things the NX can provide as well. And maybe better framrate for the battles.

Yeah no, Gen V on the DS made sense. They had mastered the technology of the DS, so they worked faster, and created BW in two years, when they usually take three for debut generation games.

If Gen V was on the 3DS, BW's quality would have been lower, probably.
What they did was smart:

First, they developed BW. Then, they started thinking about the 3DS. They started developing BW2 and XY simultaneously, and also created the Radar game as 3DS enhancement for BW2. And tgat also helped them testing the 3DS, to gain some extra experience for the developement of XY.

The New 3DS is little more than a stop-gap to help jump-start declining sales; just like the DSi and DSi XL were before the 3DS came along. It says a lot that there's only been one New 3DS-exclusive retail release and even games that likely should have been, like Hyrule Warriors Legends are simply "New 3DS Enhanced".
I think the 3DS deserves one more generation before the next console. I am in no rush to buy a new console, personally. Especially since I would only buy a console to play the New Pokemon game. So yeah, the longer I don't need to buy a new console the better.

Last edited:
Unless your planning the shortest generation ever, that would mean no Pokemon on the NX until 2019.

Indeed it would be a short gen. But I don't really see that as an issue. And that's even if Pokemon is heading to the NX in the future. It does seem somewhat likely, I agree, but due to the sheer mystery of things at the moment, it's difficult to speculate accurately.

The one thing gen 7 being N3DS can offer is a more frefform camera which can be controlled with the second nub, ans shortcut option from the two new shoulder buttons. Things the NX can provide as well. And maybe better framrate for the battles.
Care to elaborate?

They can announce Go and not show off the features that connect it to the main game until the games get announced, and that's if its for the next games.
Care to elaborate?
Elaborate on wha? Instead of a locked camera you could move it about, much like most 3D games out there. I don't really see another use for it, unless GF decides to do another rythym based sidequest(for the love of god please don't bring back the dancing GF). AS for shortcuts, LR are mostly unused, except for page flipping, but here perhaps it could allow for some menu options. As foe the framerate, that one is obvious. N3DS has a slight hardwarw boost, and with it I can assume at least in 2D the game won't stutter in horde battles.

Last edited:
I could definitely see even the next Generation 6 game benefiting from New Nintendo 3DS augments; such as the frame-rate boost mentioned by others and perhaps even a fully 3D world (like how Hyrule Warriors Legends is in 3DS and has a much higher frame-rate on the N3DS).

It's worth pointing out that there has been an instance of two main series games being released within 12 months of each other; the 8 month gap between FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald. Although that was between a remake pair and a third version; where the engine had already been built and the vast majority of the scenario planning having already been completed a while ago. There was also a fourteen month gap between Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen too - although with the gap between Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and the next game likely being approximately twenty months, perhaps they're planning something similar for the next generation? Maybe something like:

Generation 6 Finale: June 2016 on 3DS
Generation 7 Debut: March 2017 on 3DS
Generation 7 Finale: November 2017 on 3DS
Generation 8 Debut: November 2018 on NX

That would leave at least eight months between each retail release and 2017 as the only year with multiple releases; which would still be pretty spread out across the calender. GameFreak have more than likely been conceptualising Generation 7 since the release of X/Y and it wouldn't be impossible for its primary pair to be developed simultaneously with the next Generation 6 game; which will most likely be almost identical to X/Y aside from a small number of alterations. I also wouldn't mind a Nintendo 3DS Generation 7 that consists of a single primary pair developed to actually take advantage of DLC, which Generation 6 wasn't. In which case, you could adjust my above estimate to something like:

Generation 6 Finale: June 2016 on 3DS
Generation 7 Debut: March 2017 on 3DS
Generation 7 DLC: November 2017 on 3DS
Generation 8 Debut: November 2018 on NX

Either way, that would make Generation 7 the shortest generation so far; with Generation II being 5 months longer.

I think the 3DS deserves one more generation before the next console.
Whether it does or doesn't, the console itself needs a successor in 2016 or at the very latest, 2017. It's always taken a bit of time for the franchise to show up on new hardware anyway. So we could see both the NX this year and a new generation on 3DS.

Last edited:
I think the 3DS deserves one more generation before the next console.

Y do u believe this? I mean if a better system comes out and they have the opportunity to make a game on that, y would anyone want the game to come out on the outdated console? Wouldn't u rather gen 7 to come out on a console that'll offer full HD and most likely better controls? If we get gen 7 on the 3DS all we'll really get is minor updates, but if it's on the NX it'll look and feel much better. Just trying to understand y anyone would want the games to stick to old consoles is all..........I personally would like to c a Pokemon game in HD for once. I'm getting sick of seeing mediocre graphics that for a game that could look amazing! lol

Flaming and Baiting
Why do people keep insisting the NX is a handheld? It could replace the Wii U, and not the 3DS, for all we know.

It was said that the NX is going to connect with handhelds and smartphones, but it doesn't mean it will replace them. I don't know why people keep insisting in how the NX will replace the 3DS.

They've all but confirmed that the NX is both a console and handheld. But yes, it's replacing the Wii U and the 3DS. So that's another $200 down the toilet to continue my love of this franchise. They better let 3DS and DS cartridges remain playable on the new system.

Generation 7 Debut: June 2017 on 3DS

They won't release a new gen in June for sure. They release them late in the year because for better sales and for the christmas time. Also won't work with the anime, since one month later the movies get released and promoting a new movie of a new gen even before the generation begin would mean spoilers and a short promotion phase. So absolute no chance for a release before September.

A new generation could be starting in either 2017 and 2018. Why 2018 too? Because if they release a Gen 6.5 with 30-40 new pokemon this year, then I can see another Gen 6.5 game happening in 2017 and that could be emerald remake or Gen 4 remake. That would make Gen 6.5 as long as Gen 6 (2,5 years). One year more for a generation for the exchange of new pokemon mid generation. Plus there would be more time for the NX or the next handheld to come. NX will come probably end 2017 at the latest and with this there would be at least 1 year time between NX and 7th generation.

They've all but confirmed that the NX is both a console and handheld. But yes, it's replacing the Wii U and the 3DS. So that's another $200 down the toilet to continue my love of this franchise. They better let 3DS and DS cartridges remain playable on the new system.

Actually, if DS games are not compatible with the next handheld console, I can see the sales of 3DS's increasing due to nostalgic fans wanting to enjoy their DS classics, as well as their current games.

PD who do you mean xD

Last edited:
They won't release a new gen in June for sure. They release them late in the year because for better sales and for the christmas time. Also won't work with the anime, since one month later the movies get released and promoting a new movie of a new gen even before the generation begin would mean spoilers and a short promotion phase. So absolute no chance for a release before September.
Internationally at least, new generations have launched all over the year. Black/White were in March and Diamond/Pearl in April (June in Europe) for example - which are all markets where Christmas has a greater commercial emphasis than Japan. If we assume that Magiana is from Generation 7, then its promotion has already began. Besides, Black 2/White 2 were released in Japan a mere month before a movie centring on Kyurem's new formes and Resolute Keldeo.

A new generation could be starting in either 2017 and 2018. Why 2018 too? Because if they release a Gen 6.5 with 30-40 new pokemon this year, then I can see another Gen 6.5 game happening in 2017 and that could be emerald remake or Gen 4 remake. That would make Gen 6.5 as long as Gen 6 (2,5 years). One year more for a generation for the exchange of new pokemon mid generation. Plus there would be more time for the NX or the next handheld to come. NX will come probably end 2017 at the latest and with this there would be at least 1 year time between NX and 7th generation.
Would there really be any difference between such a hypothetical Generation 6.5 and 7 other than semantics?

(Also, Emerald totally won't be remade - Rayquaza's added emphasis in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire's Delta Episode pretty much secures that. Diamond/Pearl remakes could be the hypothetical Generation 7 finale in my rough estimate, but with the NX most likely being able to emulate Nintendo DS games, I wonder if we'll just get Virtual Console ports updated to have battling/trading capabilities).

Actually, if DS games are not compatible with the next handheld console, I can see the sales of 3DS's increasing due to nostalgic fans wanting to enjoy their DS classics, as well as their current games.

PD who's do you mean xD
That's where the NX's Virtual Console library could come in. In the past, Nintendo have made comments about future-proofing the architecture of the Wii U's library, which already includes DS games. So it wouldn't be surprising at all if the NX has them as well.

Even if gen 6.5 comes, how exactly are they going to do it when it is not compatible with XY and ORAS?
Yeah, tbh I'd probably have a stick up my hide over this :/

The Mega Stones alone were a problem in ORAS that nobody took kindly to, and I think it'd be pretty lame to create even more distance between games that are supposed to be communicating with each other.

Ideally with a fresh set of games they can put all the right technical preparations and future-proofing in place to keep games sustainable within their respective era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom