• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Alola Region

I mentioned this before, but the fire trucks are yellow from the screenshots, so this place is wherever that has yellow fire trucks instead of red
Hawaii has yellow fire trucks.

It's a random thing to base a region theory on, but there's other stuff like the trailer appearing to have a tropical/resort hotel gym, the Strange Souvenir being from a place "very far" from Kalos, the "flowers" hint, references to backwards-flowing waterfalls, etc.

I'm waiting for more info on the new region before I build any huge expectations, though.

Devil's advocate:

Anybody thinks the big, blue / white palace might be a revamped, new Cerulean Gym? :p
That would be astounding, especially since it's been confirmed that we're in a brand new region.

Remember, many people thought Minccino would be the regional rodent of Unova after it was revealed, so it may be too early to assume the pokemon we saw in the trailer is a the regional bird.

Aren't people jumping the gun a little on assuming the region is tropical based on that one image and its palm trees? I mean NE Unova in BW2 has palm trees, and so does Kiloude City in XY, but Unova/Kalos are not tropical...

Aren't people jumping the gun a little on assuming the region is tropical based on that one image and its palm trees? I mean NE Unova in BW2 has palm trees, and so does Kiloude City in XY, but Unova/Kalos are not tropical...
It's the first image we have of the new region, so it's logical to assume that it is a good representation of the region's general look and feel, in the same way early shots of Nacrene City and Castelia City informed us of Unova's general aesthetic.

I think for the promo they'd take care to film something representative of the region as a whole, but there's still a chance it was just a random location.

Although it would make sense for games titled "Sun" and "Moon" to be located somewhere associated with clear skies, which most people would associate with tropical or otherwise warm locations.

Canada maybe, but it wouldn't be fair to have another American region when there's such a big world out there to base regions on.

I'm thinking Hawaii due to:
- License plate on the truck (in the concept art)
-strange souvenir
-seemingly tropical
-"Flowers" statement
- For what seems like it's going to be known/remembered/promoted as the "anniversary" generation, a "vacation" sort of location like Hawaii, known for being a popular place to celebrate honeymoons and anniversaries, it just makes sense.

Somewhere in the South Pacific - be it Hawaii, Samoa, New Guinea, Palau*, etc. would be really cool.

*Two words: Tentacool Lake.

Canada maybe, but it wouldn't be fair to have another American region when there's such a big world out there to base regions on.
Speaking of Canada and America separately, if they were to have one based on Canada (REPRESENT), it would be different from America visually and thematically... So, still a possibility, I'd say.....
Also, even grouping them as "Americas" (which I personally am against), wouldn't be fair?! The first four regions would like to have a word with you.

I saw a video that said the Hotel looked a lot like Singapore.

I wouldn't mind going there but its awfully small for a country and I'm sure most of it would be the city.

I saw a video that said the Hotel looked a lot like Singapore.

I wouldn't mind going there but its awfully small for a country and I'm sure most of it would be the city.
I've seen people say this multiple times as if they've forgotten that Unova was a thing based on New York...

Speaking of Canada and America separately, if they were to have one based on Canada (REPRESENT), it would be different from America visually and thematically... So, still a possibility, I'd say.....
Also, even grouping them as "Americas" (which I personally am against), wouldn't be fair?! The first four regions would like to have a word with you.
The first four regions were when Pokemon was gaining form... It was only after BW that Poke universe were actually recognized as a counterpart of our world
Never against go back to America, taking account that Canada is not US, and there's Mexico and south American coutries that would be neat be turned into a region. But it's understandable those who think others continents deserve spotlight too.

If we do go back to America, Texas seems like the obvious choice (and I'm not just saying that because I live there :p)

So.. I try to find a real legend about Sun and Moon to match my Canada theory...

And I found this....

Iroquois - Earth Diver

The first people were the Sky People, they lived beyond the sky because there was no earth beneath. One day the chief's daughter became very ill and no one was able to provide a cure for her sickness. A wise elder was consulted and he told them to dig up a tree and lay the girl beside the hole that remained. The Sky People respected the elder and began to dig up the tree. Suddenly the tree fell down through the hole and dragged the chief's daughter with it. As the girl fell she saw that below was only an ocean of water. Two swans were alarmed by the girl falling and decided she was too beautiful to drown so they swam to catch her. They landed her on the back of the Great Turtle, and all of the animals of the earth gathered. The Great Turtle councils that the Sky Woman is a symbol of good fortune. He orders the animals to find where the Sky World tree had landed in the ocean and to bring it back with its earth-covered roots. The swans lead the animals to the place where the tree had fallen into the ocean. First otter, then muskrat, and then beaver dove in search of the tree. Each animal came back to the surface without the tree and died from exhaustion. Many other animals tried but they also died. An elder woman toad volunteered. She dove and remained below a long time. All of the animals thought she had been lost, when at last she surfaced and before dying managed to spit a mouthful of earth onto the back of the Great Turtle. This earth was magical and contained the power of growth. The island grew and grew until it was large enough for the Sky Woman to live on. The two swans set the woman upon the island and circled it encouraging it to grow into the world island it is today. Yet the world was dark. Again the Great Turtle called for the animals to gather. They decided to put a great light in the sky. A little turtle volunteered and climbed up to the sky with the help of the other animals' magic. Little turtle climbed into a black cloud and crawled around the sky collecting the lightning as she went. She made a big bright ball from the lightening and threw it into the sky. Then she collected more for a smaller ball which she also threw into the sky. The first ball became the sun, the second ball became the moon. Then the Great Turtle commanded the burrowing animals to make holes in the corners of the sky so that the sun and moon could go down through one and climb up again through the other as they circled. So there was day and night. The Sky woman lived on the island on top of the Great Turtle's back. She gave birth to twins, one good called Tharonhiawagon, one evil called Tawiskaron. From the breast of Sky Woman grows three sisters corn, beans, and squash.

And ^this sound so perfect for the new game...

Crazy idea, but what if they took various parts of the pacific, and made it one region: Singapore, Hawaii, Polynesia (where the Strange Souvenir is from). Obviously, this wouldn't be representative of the real world, but they've taken artistic licence before (since when is there a desert in Midtown Manhattan?)

Crazy idea, but what if they took various parts of the pacific, and made it one region: Singapore, Hawaii, Polynesia (where the Strange Souvenir is from). Obviously, this wouldn't be representative of the real world, but they've taken artistic licence before (since when is there a desert in Midtown Manhattan?)
While the scale of the Pokemon world is now officially out of wack, apparently Japan is at the very least 3x bigger then France and New York City is the size of France, I honestly doubt they would go as far as a region covering the entirety of the pacific ocean. They do follow realw world specifics for geography and stay true to that aspect at least. If its going to be Hawaii, its gonna be Hawaii.

On another note:
PGL_Vivillon_Ozeanmuster.png

Ocean Pattern vivillion is orange and blue, resembles the sun and the ocean, and is available from a certain part of America. You know where? HAWAII.

Back
Top Bottom