• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

The Villain Team doing the same story since Generation 3 about acquiring Legendary Pokémon and mystical items to screw with all creation, with the Boss turning on them at the last minute.
...unfortunately, titles like "Sun" and "Moon" all but guarantee that's EXACTLY what'll happen :sick:
(At last mix it up a little)

Keep Legendaries down to a minimum. It's bad enough they'd pile up naturally without making a bunch of them at once. And please, let the main ones be more than Dragon, Psychic or Ghost! We get it, those types are extremely powerful, mythical, and/or mysterious. How you stop glorifying them and shoving it in our faces for once?

No more Mega Evolutions. It's lost its coolness enough already! (I'm starting to have trouble remembering why I liked it in the first place) :confused:

Those 2D trainer graphics. Here's what I am referring to:
250px-ORAS_Prerelease_Youngster.png

-Less than 100 new Pokemon.
-No Dark Gym
-A Female Champion who is a joke like Diantha was
-An Electric Gym. 5/6 Gens have had an Electric Gym
-Broken Mega Evolutions
-A Dragon Type Pseudo Legendary

Keep Legendaries down to a minimum. It's bad enough they'd pile up naturally without making a bunch of them at once. And please, let the main ones be more than Dragon, Psychic or Ghost! We get it, those types are extremely powerful, mythical, and/or mysterious. How you stop glorifying them and shoving it in our faces for once?
The only Ghost-type legendary we've had are Giratina and Hoopa, and they didn't exactly emphasize that part about them. Hoopa even loses the type when it reverts to its stronger Forme.

-A demo or a preload. I'd would be angry at Nintendo for letting the hackers discovering ALL the game's secrets due to something that could have been avoided.

Ha, yeah. The ORAS demo was a complete disaster in that regard. I'm not sure whether we will get a demo, but if we do I hope they learned their lesson from the ORAS situation.

Ha, yeah. The ORAS demo was a complete disaster in that regard. I'm not sure whether we will get a demo, but if we do I hope they learned their lesson from the ORAS situation.
Agreed. I liked the demo, actually, but they should've known what hackers can do with it.

Making a great trailer is enough to draw people' s attention, no need for a demo.

Last edited:
It's very unlikely, but I'd love the Champion to never show up in front of us until we battle them at the League. Make him/her/them helpful during the hopefully-lengthy post-game storyline, but during the main story how about the Gym Leaders or even the professor or our parents (plural!) get some more spotlight instead?

It's very unlikely, but I'd love the Champion to never show up in front of us until we battle them at the League. Make him/her/them helpful during the hopefully-lengthy post-game storyline, but during the main story how about the Gym Leaders or even the professor or our parents (plural!) get some more spotlight instead?
To add to this notion, have NPCS around the region talk about the champion with high regard giving us incite more about them as a character before getting to the League. Maybe like 1 or 2 people per town praising him/her with a fun fact about them with almost like a mini narrative to stitch together a we continue towards the League.

Cynthia they did right, but doing her again would be unoriginal...Diantha should go back to starring in movies & hanging around cafes, battling is definitely not her forte.

@tyguy723: hardly. Cynthia being champion was the biggest un-surprise, for me at least, of DP.

given how much people didn't like Diantha, i'd say it's near impossible for SM to repeat that.

@tyguy723: hardly. Cynthia being champion was the biggest un-surprise, for me at least, of DP.
Maybe I came across wrong then with her, by saying they did her right, I meant that they gave her a purpose in that she dealt with more of the legend lore/story than cafe-one-and-done Diantha. I didn't mean she was a surprise, I should have been more specific XD

given how much people didn't like Diantha, i'd say it's near impossible for SM to repeat that.
Not necessarily. If the Champion is referenced throughout the main story and given an excuse for not helping out against the villains (such as taking care of another problem), and they later have a role in the post-game, then they could very well become popular. But I suspect that popularity has to do with design first and foremost...

Maybe I came across wrong then with her, by saying they did her right, I meant that they gave her a purpose in that she dealt with more of the legend lore/story than cafe-one-and-done Diantha. I didn't mean she was a surprise, I should have been more specific XD
i guess i was confused. you said that Cynthia did it right in response to (?) a post that talked about a not-revealed-prior-to-the-moment champion.

@Silktree: but isn't that how Diantha was largely handled? many people in Kalos seemed to know and talk of her and she does (no matter how poor some could say it is) have an alibi for not helping both in her profession as an actress as well as the generic Pokemon 'gym leaders, e4, and champ do very little' bit.

Agreed. I liked the demo, actually, but they should've known what hackers can do with it.

Making a great trailer is enough to draw people' s attention, no need for a demo.

Yeah, but when the demo has an incentive people are still going to download it regardless of an eye catching trailer. If you remember, the demo was billed as the only way to get a Mega Glalie.

If anything the best way to go about the hacker issue is to not like deactivate half of a near finished build of the game and put new maps over it like they did with ORAS. Delete the unneeded and unnecessary files and just have the assets and files needed for the demo only. That way when people dig they're not going to find anything about the full game.

I don't know how I would feel about the Champion not showing up throughout the storyline. Yes, even though it's always super-obvious that they are the Champion (this is where I relish in BW's double-bluff - they introduced Alder as the Champion right out of the gate, but then, you don't actually end up fighting him until the post-game!), I like the before-hand development that it gives them. I worry that if they didn't show up at all, the climactic fight would feel like little more than a superficial obligation.

godiego said:
but isn't that how Diantha was largely handled? many people in Kalos seemed to know and talk of her and she does (no matter how poor some could say it is) have an alibi for not helping both in her profession as an actress as well as the generic Pokemon 'gym leaders, e4, and champ do very little' bit.
They talked about her as an actress. There was no indication that she might be the Champion.

Yeah I understand that and see your point. What I mean is that third versions can still exist besides just building on what the first pairs had, add an entirely different spin, new places ect (like BW2 had). So that we can experience and get the most out of each region. I love most first pair games, and I also love the third versions/revisits we got. If they could find a way to make third versions the new sort of "different take" like BW2 did, I don't see why they shouldn't stick around...
BW2 wasn't a unique third version spin. They were sequels to BW. Huge difference.

Except that they need these "third versions"to improve on the original first pair.
Not most of the time. Yellow was just an anime thing and wasn't really for improvement because in japan at least, blue version was the improvement of green and red, and we got blue and red internationally. I remember playing through Sapphire and having no problems with it whatsoever. Emerald actually changed a lot of things: Champion, contest halls became battle tents, they added the battle frontier. BW proved entirely that you don't need third versions at all because the games were complete, and then they made them even better by giving them sequels.
As I said, I don't think ORAS needs any of those features, not even the Frontier.

But why mention them anyway? What does Game Freak win, or achieve, by those in game mentions? Nothing. Jusr remind some fans that those were a thing in gen III, but not here.

Ok, I will concede that the Wallace reference is actually a good homage to Emerald.

But Match Call? It's nothing big, but mentioning it, just makes the PokeNav Pus feel incomplete, when in reality, it is the most complete device ever. So, it's just a bad ingame PR service for the actual game.
Maybe they're going to release Emerald remakes in Gen VII :p
The legendary rush in ΩRαS probably happened because they needed to release all the legends with the Pentagon of Permission - the VGC2016 is all about legendaries (for whatever reason) and since they made the pentagon into such a big deal... I do agree it took quite a lot of impact from the "legendary" aspect though.

Problem is, every gen introduces more legends and that's not gonna change. And even if the official formats did permit Pokémon from previous generations, Game Freak would still need to "rerelease" the legends from the past for people who only recently got into the series.

Either that or MOAR EVENTZ! Everybody loves event distributions, right? Especially the ones that don't make their way out of Japan, right?
Oh those are the best ones.
I don't want very easy short routes like route 1 in X and Y, I rather have them to be ether take a while to go across or long with some challenges that you have to overcome. Like the route in Sinnoh where you have to go through deep snow in a blizzard.
NO! PLEASE NO! I hated that snow route. It was a pain to get through, and I was trying to evolve my eevee so it made it worse trying to find the effing icy rock on that stupid route. Ugh that was the worst route ever. Especially since you move through it so slowly.
Even just have it done so well that we're shocked to see who the champion is like in Gen I. Like have it seem like some random person is helping you fight the baddies and then BAM: They're champion.
Yeah, but when the demo has an incentive people are still going to download it regardless of an eye catching trailer. If you remember, the demo was billed as the only way to get a Mega Glalie.

If anything the best way to go about the hacker issue is to not like deactivate half of a near finished build of the game and put new maps over it like they did with ORAS. Delete the unneeded and unnecessary files and just have the assets and files needed for the demo only. That way when people dig they're not going to find anything about the full game.
Interesting note this made me think of. Apparently there is a leaked list of pokemon names.
I don't know how I would feel about the Champion not showing up throughout the storyline. Yes, even though it's always super-obvious that they are the Champion (this is where I relish in BW's double-bluff - they introduced Alder as the Champion right out of the gate, but then, you don't actually end up fighting him until the post-game!), I like the before-hand development that it gives them. I worry that if they didn't show up at all, the climactic fight would feel like little more than a superficial obligation.
Agreed. A champion with development is always more fun than a boring champion. No more Dianthas.

Maybe they're going to release Emerald remakes in Gen VII :p
I really doubt it, and I honestly don't think ORAS left any justifications for Delta Emerald. I still wouldn't mind an other Hoenn game of course, but ORAS recreated Hoenn very well already.

Last edited:
NO! PLEASE NO! I hated that snow route. It was a pain to get through, and I was trying to evolve my eevee so it made it worse trying to find the effing icy rock on that stupid route. Ugh that was the worst route ever. Especially since you move through it so slowly.
Well you kind of do need to pass through that snow route to go through the story line. I'm sure that it'll appear in the gen IV remakes and improve on the walking speed there. :p Anyways, lets get back on topic.

Not most of the time. Yellow was just an anime thing and wasn't really for improvement because in japan at least, blue version was the improvement of green and red, and we got blue and red internationally. I remember playing through Sapphire and having no problems with it whatsoever. Emerald actually changed a lot of things: Champion, contest halls became battle tents, they added the battle frontier. BW proved entirely that you don't need third versions at all because the games were complete, and then they made them even better by giving them sequels.
By "third versions", i meant any kind of game that can improve or expand on the original first pair. It doesn't necessarily mean a generic third version like yellow/crystal/emerald/Platinum. Sure, bw2 were sequels, but they still did what every other third version did: they expanded on BW. And "Z" was just used as a placeholder for another kalos game; XY could have gotten a sequel or even a prequel. And whether or not a game is "complete" is fairly subjective; gen 6 had a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up, but now thanks to Sun&Moon, these loose ends will likely never be answered.

gen 6 had a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up, but now thanks to Sun&Moon, these loose ends will likely never be answered.
Honestly, I can't really think of many. Zygarde is the only one that comes to mind, everything else seems to have been wrapped up pretty nicely.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom