• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Amiibo Compatibility

Will Pokemon Amiibo Be Compatible With Sun And Moon

• Total voters
So, I took a look at all the currently available Amiibo, and came up with a rough list of possible clothing unlocks for each - only first-party Amiibo were looked at for this list.

-30th Anniversary Mario: 8-bit style/color Mario overalls
-Blathers: Themed brown argyle sweater vest and shirt
-Bowser Jr.: Clown Car design shirt
-Bowser: Koopa shell design backpack or bag
-Captain Falcon: Helmet or jacket + scarf
-Celeste: Themed red and pink argyle sweater vest and shirt
-Charizard: Themed shirt
-Chibi-Robo: Themed bag or hat
-Dark Pit: Themed sandals or gloves (please add gloves, GF)
-Diddy Kong: Hat and/or shirt. Easy peasy.
-Digby: Suit jacket and/or pants.
-Donkey Kong: Themed shirt and/or tie - maybe gloves?
-Dr. Mario: Coat and pants
-Duck Hunt: Themed bag or shirt
-Falco: Falco's Boots or jacket
-Fox: Fox's boots or jacket
-Ganondorf: Themed boots, gloves, or shirt
-Greninja: Themed bag or shirt
-Ike: Themed jacket, pants, or boots
-Inkling Boy: Themed pants and/or shirt
-Inkling Girl: See above
-Inkling Squid: Themed bag or hat
-Isabelle: Themed shirt, bag, or hat
-Jigglypuff: Themed hat, shirt, or accessory
-K.K.: Themed bag or accessory
-Kapp'n: Themed shirt
-Kicks: Themed hat or overalls + shirt
-King DeDeDe: Themed hat or jacket
-Kirby: Themed hat or bag
-Link: Themed hat, bag, boots, or shirt
-Little Mac: Themed shirt and/or pants
-Lucario: Themed bag or shirt
-Lucas: Themed shirt and/or pants
-Lucina: Themed shirt, gloves, or boots
-Luigi: Luigi's hat
-Mario: Mario's hat
-Marth: Themed shirt, hat, or gloves
-Meta Knight: Themed hat, bag, shirt, or accessory
-Mewtwo: Themed shirt, hat, or pants
-Mr. Game & Watch: No idea, honestly. Hat? Bag?
-Ness: Themed bag or shirt
-Olimar: Themed helmet/hat, shirt, or gloves
-Palutena: Themed hat, shirt, or bag
-Peach: Themed hat, bag, shirt/dress, or gloves
-Pikachu: Themed hat, bag, shirt, or pants
-Pit: themed shirt, shoes, or gloves
-R.O.B.: Themed hat, shirt, or bag
-Resetti: Themed hat or overalls w/shirt
-Robin: Themed jacket, shirt, or pants
-Rosalina: Themed shirt, hat, or dress
-Rover: Themed shirt
-Roy: Themed shirt or bag
-Samus: Themed hat, shirt, or gloves
-Sheik: Themed hat, gloves, or shirt
-Shulk: Themed jacket + shirt
-Toad: Themed hat
-Tom Nook: Themed shirt
-Toon Link: See Link
-Villager: Themed shirt and/or pants
-Wario: Themed shirt+jacket, gloves, or hat
-Wii Fit Trainer: Themed shirt and/or pants
-Yoshi: Themed shirt, hat, or bag (Yoshi egg design?)
-Zelda: Themed shirt, dress, pants, or gloves
-Zero Suit Samus: Themed shirt + pants

All Pokémon should have Amiibo. Yep, all of them. You could put an Amiibo on your team, and when you use it in battle, it's AI controlled. They don't evolve because the character has to match the figure. And Amiibo fills out a separate listing in your Pokédex. There could also be a special card to store a Pokémon.

I don't want amiibo to be compatible with Sun and Moon. That would be a bad choice in my opinion.

Interesting thread. Personally I don't think amiibo would be compatible with S/M. The Pokemon Company doesn't really seem to like amiibo much, as shown by how the Pokemon amiibo generates a generic amiibo shirt in Yoshi's Woolly World, and how the Pokemon-themed costumes in Super Mario Maker don't even make a unique sound. Pokemon amiibo in general have just seen the least amount of use, and I suspect it's because TPC are being overly protective of their franchise. I'm not too sure either how amiibo would work in a main series Pokemon game. Although if trainer customization remains a thing, then costumes would probably be the most likely bet.

Though I can't see all amiibo working with S/M if they are indeed compatible.

Well, it might be interesting to see some Pokémon amiibo with the figures posed like the Ken Sugimori art and a Pokéball styled base.
That could be interesting indeed. I often see people joke that best direction for amiibo is to release one for every species of pokemon.

If i got themed outfits based on the amiibo I have (all the FE ones, Capt. Falcon, Little Mac, ZSS, Yarn Yoshi)... that would be amazing. For Shovel Knight, just give me a shovel accessory!

My trainer would definitely be dressed like Ike. HE FIGHTS FOR HIS FRIENDS.

I feel like they probably will. Business-wise, leaving Amiibo functionality out of Pokemon is a bad idea. How they'll be used? I dunno. Maybe CPU allies in a certain Amiibo facility? Or maybe, being able to use purely Amiibo Pokemon to fight in a certain optional battle facility. Or heck, maybe even using the Amiibo as physical distribution.

Honestly i never brought an amiibo because I don't have a Wii U or the new 3DS. So, I don't think it be a good idea. Of course buying the new 3DS for SM/amiibos is okay for some, but not all (especially who have only the 3DS) going be happy spending money just for a new consoles/amiibos.

So if they make Amiibo for every species, would there be problems for Pokémon that wouldn't sell because no one really cares about that species? Like maybe, (what's a Pokémon I don't think about?) Qwilfish! (Sorry if there's people who like Qwilfish) But if Pokémon such as Qwilfish undersells, what would Nintendo do?

Honestly i never brought an amiibo because I don't have a Wii U or the new 3DS. So, I don't think it be a good idea. Of course buying the new 3DS for SM/amiibos is okay for some, but not all (especially who have only the 3DS) going be happy spending money just for a new consoles/amiibos.

The fact that some people don't have Wii U/New 3DS or Amiibos is irrelevant to their decision or whether it's a good idea, though. From a purely business perspective it's a fantastic idea for more sales. No reason to strip away a added feature just because some people won't enjoy it fully. That's like saying new consoles shouldn't happen because some people would rather not buy it. I'm not attacking you, not saying you have to get Amiibos, but just because you don't have access doesn't mean the feature shouldn't be included to benefit other players. Obviously if Amiibo functionality were included, it would be purely optional.

The TCG has proven that plenty of people will pay tons of money for collectibles. Having an amiibo for every one of the ~800 Pokémon would possibly be the best monetary decision Nintendo has made since the Wii. I'm hoping we get something amiibo-based, because the lack of Pokkén Tournament-exclusive amiibo (Weavile, Braixen, Chandy, etc.) is disappointing.

My trainer would definitely be dressed like Ike. HE FIGHTS FOR HIS FRIENDS.
I can already see it, Lucina saying when the Champion Battle ends, Robin saying your finished, and Marth saying Forgive Me because of all the FE quotes I'm making
I'm hoping we get something amiibo-based, because the lack of Pokkén Tournament-exclusive Amiibo (Weavile, Braixen, Chandy, etc.) is disappointing.
Yah, it made 0% sense that they didn't include anything for the already existing Pokemon Amiibo and just put them in the general Amiibo compatibility thing, or like the above says, any real new ones aside from Shadow Mewtwo

But I see the Animal Crossing Card treatment for these games easy, with Pokemon Amiibo Cards

I wonder if they could use Sonic's amiibo to unlock a Pulseman easter egg (because of Pokémon's GameFreak and Sonic's Sega)? Or Sonic could unlock an item that boosts the Speed stat?

So if they make Amiibo for every species, would there be problems for Pokémon that wouldn't sell because no one really cares about that species? Like maybe, (what's a Pokémon I don't think about?) Qwilfish! (Sorry if there's people who like Qwilfish) But if Pokémon such as Qwilfish undersells, what would Nintendo do?

We'll likely never see Amiibo for the lesser known Pokemon. The estimated profit probably wouldn't make up for the cost of production. I'm guessing Pokemon Amiibo will only ever include the most popular species and those featured in multiple series, such as Smash and Pokken.

Last edited:
^ One way to include all Pokemon would be to do something similar to those packs of Amiibo cards that Animal Crossing has. Still not ideal to do it for every Pokemon, since we're probably hitting somewhere around the 800 mark with SM, but easier than making figures of them all for sure.

I'm not even sure how many Amiibo cards there are for Animal Crossing to be honest.

^ One way to include all Pokemon would be to do something similar to those packs of Amiibo cards that Animal Crossing has. Still not ideal to do it for every Pokemon, since we're probably hitting somewhere around the 800 mark with SM, but easier than making figures of them all for sure.

I'm not even sure how many Amiibo cards there are for Animal Crossing to be honest.

There's ~400. Four series of cards, so if Pokemon did that, it'd probably be eight series or around ten if they want to include the formes and Mega Evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom