• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
I posted on the Gen VII thread with this already but I have more to add to it:

Rowlet (Grass starter): MY BUDDY, MY PAL. I will be choosing this for the first run through. 1. I always do my first play throughs with the Grass starter. 2. This thing is so cute I don't understand why I'm THIS overwhelmed. - I hope it's final evolution isn't too Chesnaughty (lol if that makes sense), I want more of a majestic looking final Grass/Flying owl, not a bearded, old, ugly final owl.

Litten (Fire starter): Whilst I love cats and most felines tbh, I was a little put off when the trademark names were circulating, saying the fire starter would be a cat, simply because I thought it would be bland in design; I was wrong. This is another awesome starter and I love how when it used Ember in the trailer, three little spikes/hairs rose up from it's back in red (similar to how cats arch their backs when threatened), just thought that was an awesome touch (reminiscent of Cyndaquil's back flame). - I'm genuinely hyped for the Fire starter now, I think it's actually my new favourite Fire starter over Chimchar. I rarely like the fire starters, but Litten can take my money.

Popplio (Water starter): .... Hm, the one I'm still settling on... For this one though, I seem to be more concerned to make a judgement when I see it's evolutions................ If they turn this thing into anything that looks like Samurott, I'll be ruling this one out completely. Don't ruin this cute sea lion, just make it bigger and give it a plastic ball to bounce off it's nose :D. - After seeing some more art of this little guy, it's verryyyyyy cute, and I love the art of it holding Rowlet in his little nose bubble :p

I hope Popplio becomes water/fighting. The description of it makes it look like an acrobat.. Well, as if that gives it the merits to become a fighting type. I've just been waiting for water/fighting to happen since Samurott. Greninja could have been one, but Dark-type is also nice for it being a sneaky ninja.

So glad we got the starters and that they matched the trademarks.

As expected, I'm liking Litten and Popplio more than Rowlet. Rowlet kinda creeps me out, but I suppose having it start out as a flying-type is interesting.

Litten is...not what I expected for a fire cat. I though for sure it would look more cutesy, but it's fine. Now I'm just really hoping it remains a quadruped all throughout it's evolutionary line.

Popplio looks so goofy, yet adorable at the same time. I'm pleased because I really wanted to like the water-starer this time around and this guy delivers.

#TeamLitten

"Litten can attack with flaming hairballs!"

I don't know why but I find this oddly adorable!

Rowlett looks cute as well. I'm not really feeling Popplio, hopefully its evolutions will be better.

Picking Rowlet for sure!! It's the cutest of the three, imo, and easily my favorite design and concept of the three. I felt really meh about all of the starters at first, but after seeing the Sugimori artwork, they're all great.

Rowlet is so good thooooo. Love how it's wearing a leaf bow tie, the coolest of ties. As soon as I noticed that it was a bow tie, I was sold 100%. Rowlet is the one for me. Can't wait to see it evolve! :D

I'm actually okay with its Grass/Flying typing. I was kinda hoping for something different, but honestly Grass/Flying is totally a fine type. Same number of weaknesses as pure Grass (just avoid Ice types, which should be easy in Hawaii) and give it some really sweet stats and it'll be golden.

To be honest, I really hope they DON'T show the starter evolutions before release. After this trailer, I wanna stay blind as much as possible.

Last edited:
The starters look nothing what I expected, but all look REALLY interesting,, and match the trademarks perfectly.

Rowlet looks SO CUTE!!! Also Grass finally gets a cool typing to start with! Grass-Flying is really cool~

Litten is is also very cute, it looks so EMO, though. LOL, but I LOVE the black and red colors.

Popplio is VERY cute as well, and gives off Oshawott's vibes. Guess it's a circus seal~

Overall, I love them all~ :3 Awesome designs~

I'm on #TeamRowlet by far, but the other two aren't bad. Really curious to see how these will evolve.

ROWLET IS OUR NEW LORD AND SAVIOR AND ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A HEATHEN.

...now that that's outta the way, I'm gonna go ahead and guess Litten's final form is Fire/Dark (it kinda reminds me of Houndour), and Popplio could be... Water/Psychic? I mean, based on the Mr. Mime family and clowns...

Picking Rowlet for sure!! It's the cutest of the three, and easily my favorite design of the three. I felt really meh about all of the starters at first, but after seeing the Sugimori artwork, they're all great.

Rowlet is so good thooooo. Love how it's wearing a leaf bow tie, the coolest of ties. As soon as I noticed that it was a bow tie, I was soold 100%. Rowlet is the one for me. Can't wait to see it evolve! :D

I'm actually okay with its Grass/Flying typing. I was kinda hoping for something different, but honestly Grass/Flying is totally a fine type. Same number of weaknesses as pure Grass (just avoid Ice types, which should be easy in Hawaii) and give it some really sweet stats and it'll be golden.

I totally agree. I've fallen in love with Rowlet. How it turns its head just to look at you while waiting for your command. Awwwwwww. It's also a silent killer, according to its entry.

I'd love to fly around with it, so I don't have to bring around the regional bird this time. Noctowl was also my favorite regional bird, and I named it Hedwig in my Pokemon Gold. I'm considering if I'd do it again with Rowlet, since Hedwig was sort of Harry's starter. lol. What's Rowlet's name origin by the why? From JK Rowling? Rowlet. Err.

Last edited:
I am quite impressed with the starters.

Rowlett is very cute, I like how its head rolls. :p
I guess Rowlett is the first Grass-type and Flying-type Pokemon in history?

Litten looks like those cats you usually see on recent Japanese animes, maybe because on its eyes? I like its design.

Popplio looks like an animal used in a circus show, but the design is fine with me.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the designs of the Generation VII starters. :)

I am quite impressed with the starters.

Rowlett is very cute, I like how its head rolls. :p
I guess Rowlett is the first Grass-type and Flying-type Pokemon in history?
There's Tropius and Shaymin Sky.

Popplio looks like an animal used in a circus show, but the design is fine with me.

And yes, definitely. Spheal family didn't seem to play these roles well. Now give us our dolphin, GameFreak!

Rowlett is adorable and awesome and soo cool, and I'm soo picking him, eventhough I love cats, and the seal isn't all that bad,but nothing can compete with an owl :D
It's also the 1st ever grass type starter based on a bird

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom