• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

(Can't wait to wear a tacky Hawaiian shirt!)

Silly, all Hawaiian shirts are tacky!!

But OMG, that grass/flying starter = me all in!! For the first time ever, I am excited for the grass starter. Fire looks cute and I hope the final form looks as awesome as my mind makes it out to be. Don't know how I feel about the water starter, but Froakie didn't look like much at the time either...

Does anyone else think that these Legendaries look badass?

Woo holy crap that's a lot of news. That's great now obviously, but implies a lot of spoilage pre-release, which I'm not too keen on.

The real-life trailer was so cute. So so so cheesy but all the cutes.

New region looks fantastic, but Alola is a stupid name. Hawaii was always an obvious location for a region, with the distinct culture, style and varied scenery. The main concern for me are the similarities to Hoenn (volcanic activity, lots of surfing, island region, sparsely populated etc) immediately after the release of ORAS. I'm also a bit worried about how linear that map looks, granted it is only one island, but I'm just seeing one path there.

As for the starters... eh.
  • We all wanted a bird grass type and we got one. Rowlet's a cutie, but I'm not a fan of how... spherical it is. I suspect it could be defensive in its final form, in which case it better have a great hidden ability, since Grass/Flying's not a good defensive typing. Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of dual typed starters, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
  • I really don't like Litten. I don't know what about it annoys me, because a fire cat is a great idea (quadrupedal fire type: it seems GF's been listening to our suggestions). But the eyes are so large, yellow and such an odd shape; its head is FAR too large, even by the standards of most starters; and there are those weird red markings on its face that just confuse the whole thing. I bet most of these things will be dropped by the final form, but Litten's just... uncanny.
  • Popplio's the most imaginative of the starters by far, but somehow the most generic. Maybe it's too similar to Oshawott? Or maybe that ridiculous nose distracts from the whole thing? Mole-nose aside, it feels a bit ...blobby, a bit like the Pokemon a 10 years old would come up with on the spot. Give it 'arms', 'legs', big round head, eyes that carry all the hopes and dreams of the world and colour it blue cos water.
As for the legendaries... wow GF hit it out of the park there. Stately and god-like, each driven by a single core idea, elaborated on with solar/lunar motifs. I love how they each radiate completely different expressions of power. They have better claims to deism than Arceus.

Also, woo customisation.

Last edited:
So, just saw the different stuff for Sun/Moon, and all I can say is that while I am just as excited for it as everyone else, it didn't give me the exact same first impressions as the first X/Y trailer did. That doesn't mean I hate the new games or whatever's in them, definitely not. It's just that it's going to take me some time to get used to the new stuff, so my thoughts are kinda mixed. Gen 6 did kinda feel too short though and had it's flaws, so I hope Gen 7 lasts longer and is an improvement.

First off is the starters, they're interesting to say at least, we have an owl (Rowlett), a cat (Litten), and a seal (Poppilo), not really animals we haven't seen before in Pokemon. Dunno what I'll choose for my starter though, I might wait until the mid-stages are revealed before I make a decision (so far I'm leaning towards Poppilo), since with Gen 6 I already knew I was going to choose Chespin from the start and I was quite pleased with what I got out of him, though... I'll kinda miss the Gen 6 starters, Chespin and Fennekin were my favorite starters (and I have plush dolls of both). The water starter kinda has an "Oshawott" feel to it with the clown nose, and it is also a sea lion like Samurott, though I do like Samurott a lot more.

The region name, Alola, doesn't really hide the fact it's Hawaii, which is what a lot of people have predicted since early March. I would have kinda preferred an Australia-based region, but there's always Gen 8 to look for. We're at least getting another tropical region like Hoenn, though I always imagined that Hoenn was the Pokemon world equivalent of Hawaii before then (yes, I know Hoenn is based on the Japanese island of Kyushu, I'd like to imagine that the Pokemon world doesn't have the exact same geography as the real world despite what it's regions are based on, because that would be kinda lame if the world map was exactly the same but with different names for the locations, plus I just like fantasy world maps more). One thing is for certain though: Too much water 7.8/10

The player characters I do like how they look, and I'm really glad they didn't make the male player look almost identical to Red... other than the baseball cap. I'm glad they kept customization... at least for the skin and hair colors, though I do find the outfits they wear to be a bit bland and pale, but they do look a lot more realistic than what we're used to, which is something I'm happy to see is more realism in the Pokemon franchise. I do hope we can change our clothing in the game, but the skin-tone is all I'm really glad to see. The girl's hat looks like a squid though *insert Splatoon joke here*

Finally, the legendaries are pretty much what many predicted as well. The Sun legendary is a lion, which is what many predicted, and the Moon legendary is a bat-like creature which reminds me of Antasma from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Who's gonna bet they'll be named Solgaleo and Lunaala?

I don't have much else to say though, other than I have high hopes for Gen 7.

CiGG-grWEAAdZTP.jpg:large

It is =3
I mean clothing customization, we don't have conformation of that. But I'm still super happy to see a bigger variety of skintones and hair color from the start.

I mean clothing customization, we don't have conformation of that. But I'm still super happy to see a bigger variety of skintones and hair color from the start.

According to Serebii's Twitter, the clothes styles are slightly different in different scenes. So that could be taken as confirmation.

The male PC's wearing a black/white shirt here instead of the regular blue/white one, his pants have a different color too:

black shirt.png

Okay, so I'm going to just break down my thoughts on today.

1. Rowlet is effin hilarious, it's so unexpected. Guess I was wrong about my stance that Flying-type is better reserved for the regional bird. It's amazing that everyone's speculation on the owl, cat and seal starters were all right. Honestly I find the starters to be pretty disappointing though, but maybe their final forms will be better.

2. Disappointed that this is taking place in Hawaii after all. Oh well. At least this finally ends the theorizing.

3. Bat legendary was completely unexpected. I kind of like the looks of 'Solgaleo', though I wish its design had a better sun motif.

Anyway I'm done.

I noticed another cat pokemon. But I think that just Meowth

If it's already been said I apologize.. but the legendary on the cover of Sun looks like it could be a Mega Pyroar. And the gameplay looked awesome! I'm torn on which version to pre-order.

In the NA trailer the professor refers to you as cousin

I thought that guy was the Professor's aid:

YEYHHrq.jpg

We can see in another screen capture that he's standing beside a much older man who actually gives you the starters. I get that Bianca gave you the starters in B2W2, but if the professor is there, why would his assistant do it?

s6yz3AW.jpg

Back
Top Bottom