• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

My guess is to what the upcoming announcement will have is probably some art of the player characters, the professor and the rival, and maybe a new Pokemon or two, possibly a new game-play feature, but I don't expect too much from this announcement, especially given how stingy and tight-lipped they've been about these games.

My predictions for what will be revealed on the 2nd.

• More info on the box Legendaries, including official name, height, weight, and their signature move.
  • A new mechanic to Sun and Moon.
  • At least 2 new Pokemon, possibly the bird and the dog-like Pokemon spotted in the trailer.

All I expect from the June news is info on Solgaleo and Lunaala; mainly whether or not those are their real names, and their types. I'd be trilled if we get more than that though.

All I expect from the June news is info on Solgaleo and Lunaala; mainly whether or not those are their real names, and their types. I'd be trilled if we get more than that though.

I think this is what we should honestly be expecting. If we consider that the reveal and release dates of SM are about a month after their equivalent dates during the XY prerelease period, we should expect to get about as much as we did in May 2013. By then, we knew 10 pokemon (the starters, legends, Sylveon, Helioptile, Gogoat, Fletchling and Pancham), though we didn't know the legendaries types.

By that logic, we should expect confirmation of the legendaries' names and possibly types (though they could leave types until next month if we're comparing to XY), a proper reveal of Trailerbirb and Trailerdoge and two more pokemon this month.

This means the June 2nd news will probably be the details on the legendaries (names, possibly types), while Corocoro reveals Trailerbirb, Trailerdoge and two more new pokemon, and E3 reveals Synchro Evolution and maybe 1-2 more new pokemon (if we get news from it).

I don't think that they'd announce the announcement so far in advance if it was just confirmation on the Legendary Pokemon's names and types. I don't know if it would be a huge amount of news like we got last time, but I feel like we'd get at least a bit more than that. Maybe some new Pokemon will be revealed. I'm not sure if they'd want to save that stuff for CoroCoro now that they're making news announcements themselves.

I don't think that they'd announce the announcement so far in advance if it was just confirmation on the Legendary Pokemon's names and types. I don't know if it would be a huge amount of news like we got last time, but I feel like we'd get at least a bit more than that. Maybe some new Pokemon will be revealed. I'm not sure if they'd want to save that stuff for CoroCoro now that they're making news announcements themselves.

I don't think the length of time between the announcement of the announcement and the announcement itself is an indicator of how much news we're going to get. The June 2nd news was announced first on the 18th of May, three days after the last time we got something new (the pokenchi screenshot of the initial rival battle). I think they just made the announcement to keep the momentum, that's possibly why they only told us the exact time two days later. The length of time between official site updates (10th may-2nd June) seems reasonably normal for this stage of prerelease.

As for corocoro, as I said in the Corocoro thread, I hope it stays somewhat relevant to the SM prerelease, even if it only reveals minor stuff simply because it's an advertising channel that could otherwise be used by Yokai Watch.

Having said all that, I'd be very happy if you were right about getting new pokemon on the 2nd, I'm just keeping my expectations low.

As for corocoro, as I said in the Corocoro thread, I hope it stays somewhat relevant to the SM prerelease, even if it only reveals minor stuff simply because it's an advertising channel that could otherwise be used by Yokai Watch.

Corocoro's audience is different to online news - I think it's a kid's magazine. So it likely will have Sun/Moon stuff, but it might just end up being a repeat of whatever we've already seen online. But it still works out for them because not all kids are going to see the online stuff. So two different approaches to different audiences which makes sense.

I do think either through the info dump next Thursday or something else, we will see the full region Map. By June they usually have protags, starters, legendaries, professor,rival, and the region Map the revealed, with maybe a couple of other early game Pokemon mixed in.

What if they do what I suggested a few days (weeks?) back and reveal/cover one part of the map each month until release. Like piecing together a jigsaw. That could be fun. (Of course getting the full map all at once is fun too.)

I don't think the length of time between the announcement of the announcement and the announcement itself is an indicator of how much news we're going to get. The June 2nd news was announced first on the 18th of May, three days after the last time we got something new (the pokenchi screenshot of the initial rival battle). I think they just made the announcement to keep the momentum, that's possibly why they only told us the exact time two days later. The length of time between official site updates (10th may-2nd June) seems reasonably normal for this stage of prerelease.

It's possible that they just made the announcement to keep the momentum up, but I don't that would be the only reason for them to announce the announcement so far in advance. We heard about the May 10th announcement less than a week before it happened, but going through all the trouble to have a countdown for the second announcement doesn't make me think it will just be something small. It's possible that could happen and I'm not expecting something huge like what we got before, but I'm positive that it's more than just details on the Legendary Pokemon.

The Great Guardian said:

Having said all that, I'd be very happy if you were right about getting new pokemon on the 2nd, I'm just keeping my expectations low.

I wouldn't be surprised if CoroCoro just had images for what was already revealed online. It might be helpful in getting more official artwork or screencaps too, but I think we'll be focused more on the online announcements for the time being.

I do think either through the info dump next Thursday or something else, we will see the full region Map.

They will likely reveal only one island every once in a while, and the final island and other postgame islands will likely get reserved for post-release.

What if they do what I suggested a few days (weeks?) back and reveal/cover one part of the map each month until release. Like piecing together a jigsaw. That could be fun. (Of course getting the full map all at once is fun too.)
This seems like a pretty good idea, actually. Hawaii consists of 8 main islands, as well as a few smaller ones. They could choose to reveal one part of the map each month, though I'd prefer them not showing /ALL/ of the Alola Region.

That would be pretty boss too. Have only a general idea of what gym is on each island, with no word on where in the island they are, we could go on till the game release for region speculation.

It's possible that they just made the announcement to keep the momentum up, but I don't that would be the only reason for them to announce the announcement so far in advance. We heard about the May 10th announcement less than a week before it happened, but going through all the trouble to have a countdown for the second announcement doesn't make me think it will just be something small. It's possible that could happen and I'm not expecting something huge like what we got before, but I'm positive that it's more than just details on the Legendary Pokemon.

I wouldn't be surprised if CoroCoro just had images for what was already revealed online. It might be helpful in getting more official artwork or screencaps too, but I think we'll be focused more on the online announcements for the time being.

You make a good point. However it is still fairly early days into the prerelease cycle, we still have 5.5 months to go after the second announcement. It's also worth noting, that we didn't get the names of the XY legends until the day after the reveal, their official artwork until the following Corocoro, and their types until six months later (in July). I don't expect something small either, but not something major like last month. I have a note on my phone detailing eerything revealed in May (covering all trailers and the pokenchi screenshot) which is approximately 7 screens long. By comparison, I'm expecting 4, maybe 5 screens at the announcement and 1-2 more from E3 and Corocoro combined.

I understand the reasoning behind focusing more on online announcements, I just want Corocoro to be a bit more relevant and less of a recap. Personally, while the last online announcement kept me excited for a good week, it didn't have the excitement of never knowing when news will drop, like the leaks do. We already have Pokenchi for recapping the latest news, I don't want Corocoro to be the same.

They will likely reveal only one island every once in a while, and the final island and other postgame islands will likely get reserved for post-release.

I'd like that. While large news burst are undeniably exciting, having a constant stream of news is better imo. One island every month would give us seven islands. Hawaii has eight, we could then get one or more post-release.

I'm really wondering if they show us any of the new mega evolutions. Or a map of the whole region.

A new pokemon or two would be great. Types and names for mascots maybe? The identity of the native bird or dog-like pokemon perhaps?

I could see some Mega Starters from a previous generation that could be a highlight. The kanto starters were for XY, and the Hoenn starters were for ORAS. I could see maybe Johto/Unova for SM and Sinnoh for the DP remakes.

Back
Top Bottom