• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have any video game companies disappointed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesia

At your service~
Reaction score
Have any video game companies (example: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft Studios) disappointed you?

I'm pretty annoyed at Nintendo for removing backwards compatibility from their consoles, and I find the Wii U to be a downgrade from the Wii in some ways. I had to spend extra money to mod it just so I could play a decent amount of games on it because it had unbelievably poor disc space for some reason.

I have not been disappointed in a game company, besides I usually don't bother with what people are saying about x game system or y game. If I want to get a game system or game, I'll get it; and if I do get disappointed in a certain system, then I just sell it and the games to GameStop, I'm not going to start complaining about a company.

Nintendo has long annoyed me with their insistence on going with gimmicks that just end up being an inconvenience. Their direction in the gaming department has been less than stellar, as well. Mario platformers - both 2D and 3D - have become all of the same. The Paper Mario series has gone down the drain.... etc.

EA has really annoyed me with what they did with The Sims series. They pretty much have milked that series to death. The Sims 3 introduced very good major features into the series that I really enjoy, but EA took that game waayyy too far with the DLC, some very small Expansion Packs (when the price was raised from the previous game's EPs), etc.

...The Sims 4 is such a poor product that it isn't even on my radar. The content they've added in packs actually looks to be good and I wish they had added it in The Sims 3... BUT The Sims 4 itself is a shoddy product that looks like and is exactly like the vastly inferior The Sims games they release on consoles. Not only that, but they added no new major features of any significance. The red flags were up from the start with this one. They revealed the game with a trailer that showed pretty much nothing, and then didn't reveal a single bit of information about the game until a year later... There was nothing for them to show, even then.

Probably the most recent example was with Capcom not releasing a new Mega Man game. I got over it after a while, especially since, when I think about it, I have an entire library of MM games to play which all have excellent replay value. Not only that, I've come to realize it's a niche series that doesn't sell in the millions. Like @Lyrebird said, the companies that make the games and characters we know and love are businesses, first and foremost, and money is the bottom line of everything.

One company I can say for sure disappointed me was Sega in the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. 2005 and 2006 were lousy years for Sonic, not only with this game, but also with the bastardized version of the first game on the Game Boy Advance. I can forgive the GBA Genesis port being terrible garbage as it's not like it's an original game. If you really want to play Sonic 1, play Sonic 1 instead! No one should be playing the GBA version unless you want to listen to terrible music, deal with random slowdown along with crappy framerates, and a condensed screen where you cannot see anything critical like auto-kill crushers. Sonic the Hedgehog 06, I'm sorry, I will NEVER change my mind on this game being an unplayable mess. It wasn't fun and it's the only game I have yet to beat but probably never will. I made it as far as Kingdom Valley and I just couldn't go on. It is possible to beat it and if I had the patience, I probably could, but I refuse.

I haven't played another Sonic game til Sonic Colors (a few years after its release, btw), and it shows that the quality improved greatly! I wish they would take lessons from this and Sonic Generations for their future games, but now it seems like they regressed with the Sonic Boom games. I don't mind a different take on the Sonic games and the character designs don't irk me as much as other people (though I'll always say classic Sonic is the best), but I really wish Sega would just stay consistent with quality. Because they are a business, it would be in their best interest to make games that lacked stuff like terrible controls. I'm just saying.

all of them at one point or another, but especially sega and EA, who used to be good companies but have gone to shit in recent years.
I still like capcom, as while most people hate RE6 and the lack of new Mega Man, I personally still need to finish x8 and zx2.

The 3DS, while wickedly awesome, is a bit of a pain when it comes to the clacky top screen. It seems like every time I open it and close it that it gets weaker and wobblier. The DSi was totally free of that pain. (Although if you close the DSi too hard, it presses the off button with the top screen and you lose all that progress on ruddy animal crossing)

I've always admired Capcom for producing such gaming gems, but when I saw a playthrough of Ghosts N' Goblins... it was so hilarious and just plain awful. xD You have to fail at every level at least 20 times before getting to know the layout and the randomly spawned enemies, and the big plot twist at the end... it was just an illusion and you have to do it again! Wowee! I wonder if Steven Spielberg has ever thought of making you sit through the same movie twice!

And when it said something like "Congratulation, you have save the princess. Play Again!" at the end combined with the HIDEOUS visuals.... you wondered if anyone cared about what they were doing. And yeah yeah yeah, it was the 80's and all, but c'mon! If you're going to make a video game, at least care about it, put SOME degree of effort into it and while gaming wasn't exactly a huge tightrope of pressure and success, and no one played them except losers, there is no room for sloppiness when it comes to anything.

Most definitely the WII U because of the same reasons and that I can't buy enough games to the point where the thing will tell me I have less than 8 to 7 GB left and that I have only 6 games on the system:confused:

Were you buying them digitally? Because that might be the issue...also, flash drive.

EA and Ubisoft for their DRM decisions and not giving development teams the full amount of time to finish their games. That's the big one for me.

And Nintendo at times for being very genre blind to their audiance.

Comcept. Oh GOD, where do I start with Comcept? Let me put it this way. I've waited for Mighty No. 9, and they've delayed it. Repeatedly. And when they finally release it, it gets leaked... And apparently it isn't even good. After YEARS of waiting, we end up with disappointment. Hopefully this wakes Capcom up and makes them decide to say "hey, we can do better than THAT" and bring back Mega Man.

I was incredibly upset with Konami when Silent Hills was canceled and with everything that followed, and I know I wasn't the only one. At least Kojima got to rise from the ashes of that mess and is making his comeback with Norman Reedus and the Funky Fetus Death Stranding.

Nintendo for creating Zero Suit Samus. Unnessecary, Unwarrented, Unneeded, Unwanted. Ruined the franchise.
A strong, powerful woman like the Original Samus Aran, is far sexier than Bimbo Suit Samus.

am i bitter that they LITERALLY stripped one of the most original and iconic video game protagionists, of Everything that made her Original? yes. yes i am.

Name a Mega Man 3DS game

Mega Man Legends 3. i bought a 3ds ON LAUNCH DAY so i was ready to play this when it came out.

am i bitter that capcom cancelled it? yes. yes i am.

Nintendo for creating Zero Suit Samus. Unnessecary, Unwarrented, Unneeded, Unwanted. Ruined the franchise.
A strong, powerful woman like the Original Samus Aran, is far sexier than Bimbo Suit Samus.

am i bitter that they LITERALLY stripped one of the most original and iconic video game protagionists, of Everything that made her Original? yes. yes i am.
"Oh no the person underneath the suit of armour is aesthetically pleasing, franchise ruined forever." Seriously though, there's nothing about ZSS that isn't "strong" or "powerful". Reminder that she did manage to infiltrate a Space Pirate Mothership armed with only a non-fatal weapon and come out of it alive.

If you want to talk about Samus being franchise-ruiningly weak, look no further than Other M. While she was perfectly capable of taking instructions and even at times orders, Other M made her incapable of doing anything at all that wasn't officially sanctioned by Adam. In Fusion, the AI asks if Adam would have sat in a control room and ordered Samus to die, and Other M answers that question with a resounding "YES!" with the utterly stupid part where she goes into the volcanic area of the Bottle Ship without the Varia Suit activated. When she fought Ridley for at least the fourth time (seventh if you count the Prime games), she had a mental breakdown. The only times we see Samus activate an upgrade of her own volition are when she's lost contact with Adam and after he dies. What's more, more of Samus's inner monologue is about Adam than it is about herself.

But no, what totally ruined her and made her weak was when Nintendo made her take her Power Suit off... which she'd been doing as a reward for good players ever since the original game. If anything, the fact she can actually fight in that form now makes her more powerful.

All video game companies have, at some point or another, disappointed me. EA has disappointed me with a terrible launch of Sim City and not giving Bioware time to polish their games. Ubisoft has disappointed me with Assassins' Creed Unity and ultimately pushing me away from the franchise. Microsoft basically disappointed me because they thought their initial Xbox One was a good idea. Nintendo has disappointed me with their constant drive to be unique at the expense of being able to collaborate with others. And Sony... Well... Not much I can say about Sony really.

I try to not to be too hard on developers and publishers because they all make a combination of failures and successes. They have good ideas and they make mistakes. I'll be critical of those mistakes and praise their ability to connect with an audience.

So, for every time I want to say "Other M makes me angry" I also remember "Hey, Splatoon is pretty awesome and Hyrule Warriors was something I never imagined I would enjoy"

Maxis with SimCity ended up disappointing, due to either games that were overcomplicated (SimCity 4), or oversimplified (after).

Almost all of Nintendo's flagship franchises made me greatly lose interest in one way or another, and one that I particularly remember is during the GC/GBA era. Super Mario Sunshine had a storyline that was utter piece of shit, even by Mario standards, with sheer idiocy from the Piantas, and I am certainly not a huge fan with Peach still acting like a dumbass bitch even after appearing in Smash Melee as a playable character. Also, everything after Galaxy 1+2 (which were the only Mario games that I like post-N64) were disappointing with Mr Miyamoto's rigid aversion to a serious storyline in Mario games.

As for Pokémon, most of you know just how much I hate Gen 3 and its Gen 6 remake with a passion (to the extent that I lost interest in playing for three generations straight) so I am going to leave it there. Initially, I wan't a huge fan of the cartoony Zelda either with a drastically different Hyrule in Wind Waker, but that has grown on me recently. Fire Emblem 6 was one of the few decent games that I played, along with Mother 1+2 remake, but then again, FE7 and Mother 3 didn't appeal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom