• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

On another note, the trailer confirmed no new Eeveelutions which made my heart break a little.
I really hope that it's a demo or something and we just can't see ninth eeveelution.. OR we can get some new Pokemon that will evolve eight times like Eevee did past 20 years!

Five generations of sticking to the forumla
Fans: Omg just like cod repetitive and boring
Gen 6: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution

Gen 7 omg no gyms and dancing f### this

Seriously let gamefreak do what they want since no matter what they do someone will be pissed changed or exactly the same there's a potion of the fanbase that are going to be pissed that there's going to be 800+mons and complain that there's to many no one is satisfied
PREACH!! That's the thing that irritates me the most about the fandom sometimes, it's like just allow GF to broaden their horizons a bit so that the franchise can stay healthy and keep its legs strong.
I mean look at Pokémon Go, when it was first announced people lost their minds at all the "horrible " implications that this pointed to but several months later it turned out to be one of the best moves Nintendo made in recent years.

Gen 6: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution

Gen 7 omg no gyms and dancing f### this
Meta Boss: Thank you Game Freak, don't EVER change the formula!

Gen 6: fans: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution
Meta Boss: hey, that's cool! Good move, Game Freak!

Gen 7 Fans: omG no gyms and dancing f### this
Meta Boss: dancing? Trainers having an active role during battles? F### this GF, I want my classic Pokemon games back!
Seriously let gamefreak do what they want since no matter what they do someone will be pissed changed or exactly the same there's a potion of the fanbase that are going to be pissed that there's going to be 800+mons and complain that there's to many no one is satisfied
I don't care what the rest of the fandom wants, and how much they have criticized GF for not innovating, I have always wanted the classic Pokemon formula to stay the same (with cool improvements like Abilities, HA, new battle styles, etc) , and I have always praised Game Freak's conservative philosophy of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Last edited:
While I do think it's best to wait for more information on how a feature works before deciding how you truly feel about it, I see no reason to all gang up on someone for their view. People are going to like and dislike different things and just because someone doesn't like the look of a feature/mechanic doesn't mean you need to start exaggerating or misrepresenting them to defend the feature and the games. Who knows, maybe Meta Boss will like it after trying it out? No real reason to squabble over it.

So tone yourselves down guys please, we don't need to be at each others throats. We had enough of that sort of behaviour yesterday.

PREACH!! That's the thing that irritates me the most about the fandom sometimes, it's like just allow GF to broaden their horizons a bit so that the franchise can stay healthy and keep its legs strong.
Preach? Preach what, dude? Not giving your Pokemon related opinions on a Pokemon forum? Sigh...

I have never criticized Game Freak before, because they have never changed the classic formula (too much). Now, I feel they are going away from what is the classic main series formula, for the first time ever. Am I allowed to express my disliking of this move?

I mean, of course, Game Freak will do whatever they want. It's not like I am going to assault Gamefreak's offices in Japan and force them to make the game my way, you know? But at least let me express my opinion, for fucks sake xD
I mean look at Pokémon Go, when it was first announced people lost their minds at all the "horrible " implications that this pointed to but several months later it turned out to be one of the best moves Nintendo made in recent years.
EXACTLY THIS: keep the experiments outside of the MAIN SERIES. Pokemon Go is awesome precisely because it lets them experiment without changing the main game formula.

Last edited:
Preach? Preach what, dude? Not giving your Pokemon related opinions on a Pokemon forum? Sigh...

I have never criticized Game Freak before, because they have never changed the classic formula. Now, I feel they are going away from what is the classic main series formula, for the first time ever. Am I allowed to express my disliking of this move?

I mean, of course, Game Freak will do whatever they want. It's not like I am going to assault Gamefreak's offices in Japan and force them to make the game my way, you know? But at least let me express my opinion, for fucks sake xD

EXACTLY THIS: keep the experiments outside of the MAIN SERIES. Pokemon Go is awesome precisely because it lets them experiment without changing the main game formula.
Sorry bout that, but that comment was more directed at the random people I see whom always claim that GF is always jumping the shark for various reasons or avow to quit the franchise if so and so makes it into the series.
It's cool with me if you dislike whatever the protags were doing in that trailer that's your opinion after all. I honestly just jumped on that comment inasmuch as due to me concurring with it and that's it.

Allow me to be sceptic, considering Game Freak's love for unnecessary power boosts.
If the powered up moves from gen 7 are such an "unnecessary" change to you, then you can simply choose not to use them ;)
Meta Boss said:
Trainers having an active role during battles?
Oh yes, because let's forget that mega evolution also requires the trainer to do certain mouvements like the powered up moves from gen 7, right?

And one more thing: why are you acting like game freak is deviating from pokemon's "classic" formula by the introduction of the new mechanic? In terms of concept, the powered up moves from gen 7 are more conparable to mega evolution(i.e. temporary in-battle boosts), and yet you seem to love mega evolution. Why the hatred towards the gen 7 mechanic when the concept of temporary in-battle boost has already been made in the serie?

I still don't get this "they're changing the classic Pokemon formula" complaint.

We literally saw like 2 seconds of the PCs doing some (admittedly silly) dance moves that will most likely just be used for the new mechanic's activation cutscene (similar to Mega Evolution). I fail to see how that makes the games more player-centric or even (gasp!) changes the entire main game formula.

Now, I've seen a couple people mention that they find the dances silly. While I haven't had the chance to do proper research yet, I would not be surprised if they have roots in tradiitonal Hawaiian dances. Most of the ones I've heard of are considered very sacred and an important part of their culture.

If anyone's got any more insight or has found a real world counterpart, let me know.

If the powered up moves from gen 7 are such an "unnecessary" change to you, then you can simply choose not to use them ;)
Then I wouldn't be playing the game how it is meant to be played...

Besides, in XY, Korrina made us Mega Evolve Lucario. So i am not sure if the game will allow us to ignore the mechanic.
Oh yes, because let's forget that mega evolution also requires the trainer to do certain mouvements like the powered up moves from gen 7, right?
I think what annoys me regarding the new mechanic, is that it depicts the Trainer as someone with almost supernatural powers. He makes a dance that pretty much reminds me of freakin Kame... Hame... HAAAAAAAA!

The Trainer is taking an active role in Pokemon battles, by helping his Pokemon in the battle. Personally making a move (dance) to power up his Pokemon.

Mega Evolution is not like that. It is just the Trainer pressing a button. To me, it is completely different. To you? I don't know, and I don't care. You are free to have your own opinion.

I think what annoys me regarding the new mechanic, is that it depicts the Trainer as someone with almost supernatural powers. He makes a dance that pretty much reminds me of freakin Kame... Hame... HAAAAAAAA!
Nothing we've seen of the dances looks even remotely similar to that move.

Mega Evolution is not like that. It is just the Trainer pressing a button.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Mega Evolution requires a bond between a Pokemon and a Trainer which makes the trainer a vital component.

And what makes you think the trainers actually have any effect? What if they're merely doing it for the sake of tradition? You're jumping on conclusions and hating on something we barely know anything about based on those conclusions.

I don't know. I am pretty sure I am not the only fan to dislike these new dancing and/or Synchro moves, around the internet.

You guys (@Vinx @Tsutarja @Icy Wind @Fairy Type Arceus) can stick to your opinions, but you are not going to change mine. No point trying.

Sometimes, I am an impatient guy, and I don't feel like waiting for weeks/months for when the mechanic is fully revealed, in order to give my opinion of the feature. I feel like giving my opinion NOW. And if you think its premature, sorry, but I don't care. I currently dislike it, and I feel like expressing my dislike. If I change my opinion, I will voice it as well.

That said, I do hope Game Freak makes me eat my criticism.

If the Power Up moves turn out to be exclusive to NFE mons, it could be the best addition EVER. I would love the mechanic if they are.

However, I don't think I will ever get used to those terrible "I am a Pokemon Trainer, but I want to battle too!" dance moves.

Last edited:
The dance moves would probably look better if the trainers didn't have those cold, dead, unchanging expressions while doing them. But I don't really mind them. Although I hope those animations work like the Mega Evolution one does and only plays the animation once and then skips it later on. Depending on how often the super moves happen watching those dances could get really tedious.

Also it makes it really hard to take the dancing seriously after all those videos that popped up when people ripped the trainer models from the Gen 6 games. It's feels like GF was like "hey we should do that".

Your opinion is literally based on assumptions that may not even be true.

Please try to be more open-minded before hating on something we barely know anything about.
The terrible dance moves are already a fact. My complaints are mostly directed towards the dancing moves of the trainers, not so much the Powered Up moves of the Pokemon.

Gen 7 Fans: omG no gyms and dancing f### this
Meta Boss: dancing? Trainers having an active role during battles? F### this GF, I want my classic Pokemon games back!

I think a big reason why people are taking your comments at such a brush (certainly this is true in my case from yesterday) is because the "Fuck this GF, omg you've tarred and feathered the series's spirit" is a bit of an extreme reaction (especially toward something we know so little about). It's not criticism so much as it is a declaration of Ruined FOREVER. Even if that's not necessarily your intention, the language involved greatly resembles it. So it's easy to misconstrue your apprehension (which is totally fair, and I thought you argued it well enough yesterday) as blind rage.

I have always wanted the classic Pokemon formula to stay the same (with cool improvements like Abilities, HA, new battle styles, etc) , and I have always praised Game Freak's conservative philosophy of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

But what draws the line that separates Super Moves from being "a cool new improvement"?

Especially if, as you considered before, they are similar to the elemental gems from Gen V. Because then it's not even so much a "new improvement" as it is an overhauling of a previous one, since those gems are no longer available.

There's not really any correlation here, though. GO is an attempt to create a Pokémon game in an entirely different medium, and would be fundamentally impossible to "test" through the main series. Super Moves are a simple addition to the already-established battle mechanics of the main series, done in order to spice them up with new strategies. There's not really anywhere else that they even *could* try that out, because it directly relies on the main series's mechanics.

Now, I've seen a couple people mention that they find the dances silly. While I haven't had the chance to do proper research yet, I would not be surprised if they have roots in tradiitonal Hawaiian dances. Most of the ones I've heard of are considered very sacred and an important part of their culture.

If anyone's got any more insight or has found a real world counterpart, let me know.

I was having the same thought the other day. I'm very curious to see if anybody finds anything on this front.

You're not expected to use everything at your disposal. There is no "how it is meant to be played" because the games are all about choosing your own Pokémon, and choosing your own moves, and choosing your own battle strategy. Want to run a team of walls? Go right ahead, or don't. Want to use Megas? Go right ahead, or don't. Want to use items or do EV training and IV breeding? Go right ahead, or don't. Up to you.

Besides, in XY, Korrina made us Mega Evolve Lucario. So i am not sure if the game will allow us to ignore the mechanic.

That was a one-off demo battle that lasted two turns. A blip on the radar.

The Trainer is taking an active role in Pokemon battles, by helping his Pokemon in the battle. Personally making a move (dance) to power up his Pokemon.

Mega Evolution is not like that. It is just the Trainer pressing a button. To me, it is completely different. To you? I don't know, and I don't care. You are free to have your own opinion.

Except, as @Tsutarja said, Mega Evolution also requires the Trainer, fundamentally, because it uses the bond between them and their Pokémon as fuel for the process. And are you not also "helping your Pokémon" by giving them commands or using items on them?

I mean, this is most likely going to come down to "just pressing a button" too. The dancing isn't going to be some DDR-esque lightning round using the 3DS cameras to track your movements. It's probably just going to be a precursor animation, like the one for Mega Evolution. Press a button, animation plays, move carries out, done.

@Esserise I guess my only counterargument is that my opinions on the matter are mostly based on feelings. The dancing/Synchro mechanic really isn't clicking right with me, for some reason.

I think the reason is, that I have always seen the Pokemon Trainers as something like a Basketball coach. He shouts his indications, but is not allowed to surpass the line and enter the field and play with his boys. He can only give indications to his team members.

Now, imagine that coach suddenly doing this dance to "power up" his team members, so they perform better on the pitch.... Yeah.

Now transfer this on Pokemon. The Pokemon Trainer gives instructions, but never participates in the battle directly. Until now, where he does a special power up dance to power up his Pokemon. I am sorry, but I really dislike it. It doesn't feel like a main series Pokemon game thing to me.

Last edited:
Meta Boss said:
By this logic, then everybody who doesn't breed, use held items, doesn't use then gen 6 exp share ect...... are playing the games "wrongly".

There are no written rules telling you how you should play a game or not. You're free to play pokemon in whatever way you want.
Meta Boss said:
You're only forced to use mega evolution once in XY, but after that, you're free to completely ignore mega evolution. I think if we're forced to use the powered up moves in SM, they're going to be in the same case as mega evolution in XY.
Meta Boss said:
I am pretty sure I am not the only fan to dislike these new dancing and/or Synchro moves, around the internet.
No one here is saying that you're the only one in the fanbase who dislikes these new moves. Like others have said earlier, there are a lot of people who dislike something with barely any information on it, your comment just happens to be the only one like that in this thread. People are just criticising your opinion.

Is there anyway ya'll can take this shit to a private message? I'm all for expressing ideas, but it's just going back and forth and I'm tired of reading the same shit over and over. Some like it, some don't. It literally does not matter what you say, everyone has expressed their side and no one else is going to convince the other to change their minds. It's fucking annoying.

Back
Top Bottom