• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

The region is big though. I mean at least in scale. But with Hala at 3 Pokemon, and the first Tapu at level 56 in the wild, I am wondering just how far does the story go. Cause its a drastic drop from Kalos' mid-hig level 70 league. Even with Alola, I am perfectly fine. Ecstatic as people can see. There is a tinge of "But wait" in the air for me though, I can't pinpoint it.

No gyms, no league, old Pokemon now have "alola forms" such as Vulpix being an Ice type there for some reason, z moves which are once per battle OP moves that seem like they will break the story mode at least

I think they may be changing too much, especially in a 20 year old game series

I'm still trying to absorb everything that came out today (Seriously, I've been okay with the amount of reveals already and we just keep. Getting. More). However, my favorite thing to come out of this is that Z-moves are a cool idea and are only once per battle. That is definitely far better than mega evolutions. Hopefully they are available in VGC.

I'm loving the new Trial Captain designs. Especially Kiawe. And Sophocles - love the Easter egg of the Game Boy on his shirt. Can't help but notice that their themes and type specialties based on Red/Green/Blue/Yellow Versions once again.

Also if I send my Ninetales from a previous gen over, will it automatically become Ice type?

Pretty sure it will retain its Fire typing. Fire Ninetales and Ice/Fairy Ninetales are literally different versions of the same species. I can't see why the type would magically change when transferring... This isn't GenI/II anymore... Nintendo/Gamefreaks has these things worked out now. Ninetales from another region will remain Fire when it comes over. I pretty much guarantee it.

(slightly) interesting thing i picked up in the trailer: that forest shown isn't on Melemele. assuming there's no shady editing, Mallow welcomes you to the Lush Jungle. Lurantis's bio page says that its the Totem Pokemon for it.... and that it's located on Akala Island. i wonder then where the Melemele Island trial is.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

THIS WAS FUCKING AWESOME

FUCKING TRIALS AND SHIT

FUCKING ALOLA FORMS NINETALES LOOKS BEAUTIFUL THAT TYPING OMG

THEY ALTERED THE GYM FORMAT, EVEN IF SLIGHTLY I AM SO HAPPY

OH MY GOD

OH AND Z MOVES ARE AWESOME!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

THIS WAS FUCKING AWESOME

FUCKING TRIALS AND SHIT

FUCKING ALOLA FORMS NINETALES LOOKS BEAUTIFUL THAT TYPING OMG

THEY ALTERED THE GYM FORMAT, EVEN IF SLIGHTLY I AM SO HAPPY

OH MY GOD

OH AND Z MOVES ARE AWESOME!

Yeah, today sure was a doozy. And I haven't even picked up my Arceus yet!

(slightly) interesting thing i picked up in the trailer: that forest shown isn't on Melemele. assuming there's no shady editing, Mallow welcomes you to the Lush Jungle. Lurantis's bio page says that its the Totem Pokemon for it.... and that it's located on Akala Island. i wonder then where the Melemele Island trial is.

Just noticed this, too.

With the Fire Island Trial being all but a lock for the second island, I think it's most likely that this forest/cave hybrid is actually within the tree on the fourth island. That makes sense, yeah?

This would also mean that there's *got* to be some sort of organized civilization on the fourth island, despite it seeming like there isn't?

Exciting nonetheless.

Some things I noticed on a second watch and looking around:
The trial captains aren't all of them. Each trial has a captain, and there are several trials on each island. I think we only got two from the first two islands:Melemele has Captain Sophocles and Lana, while Akala likely has Marrow and Kiawe. I say likely, as it seems Marrow is on the ranch of the second isle. Lana might even be from the ice island. But yeah, I think there are way more captains.
The plus symbol in the Dex is actually the sigil for the trials.
Captain Sophocles HAS to be a genwunner stab. Dweeby forum name, has a keyboard, and lots of gen 1 memorbilia. Cute gamefreak, very cute.

Welp, it only took between October 2013 and August 2016, but we finally know what makes Alola so unique that it was foreshadowed so early. They basically took Hawaii's themes and used them not to create a different atmosphere of the same game like before, but to overhaul the foundational structure of the game. #Pokemon20

The icing on the cake would be good plot and post-game features.

I really have to applaud the Alola forms for refining XY's approach to stuffing the Pokédex with old Pokémon - don't just give them new toys to play with (i.e. Megas, much as I do like them), make the Pokémon themselves new and interesting.

Since the first island is yellow, the second island is red, how about the third island is Moana (the Hawaiian word for the blue ocean).

Crazy theory what if instead of megas since they might be gone the megas are in there as those Pokemon's Alola forms?

Alola sceptile would be mega sceptile with grass dragon Alola charizard will be mega charizard x/y depending on version Alola glaile will be mega glaile and etc

The trial captains aren't all of them. Each trial has a captain, and there are several trials on each island.
i'm not quite too sure. i think between Captains, Totems, and Kahunas, there'd be too many things. after all for each island there's a Kahuna, which requires a trial to be completed with each trial having a Captain and a Totem. two trials on an island would make for five boss battles, which, even for me, seems a bit much. that doesn't even factor in the game's plot, evil team, and Elite 4/Champion-ish aspects either.

Just noticed this, too.

With the Fire Island Trial being all but a lock for the second island, I think it's most likely that this forest/cave hybrid is actually within the tree on the fourth island. That makes sense, yeah?

This would also mean that there's *got* to be some sort of organized civilization on the fourth island, despite it seeming like there isn't?

Exciting nonetheless.
i don't think so. i still think that the fourth island is fairly uninhabited. i think Sophocles is on the artificial island. that would seem to match up with his oddly technologically forward-appearing area. i guess it'd go Lana for Melemele, Kiawa for the second island, Mallow for the Big Island, and Sophocles for the artificial one. perhaps the fourth island is sacred and thus Alolans created the artificial one in response?

Z-Moves will have an interesting effect on battle balance. As a one-off move, you could use them to wipe out one strong Pokemon on another team, but you'd have to be selective as to when to use it. Whereas with Mega Evolution you can enjoy the benefits for an entire battle. I also wonder how they work in the Battle Royals and double battles etc - whether you can attack multiple targets at once or not.

Captain Sophocles HAS to be a genwunner stab. Dweeby forum name, has a keyboard, and lots of gen 1 memorbilia. Cute gamefreak, very cute.

I don't think insulting their oldest fans who they are trying to win back with Pokemon Go is a nice or a wise thing to do.

Crazy theory what if instead of megas since they might be gone the megas are in there as those Pokemon's Alola forms?

Alola sceptile would beega sceptile with grass dragon Alola charizard will be mega charizard x/y depending on version Alola glaile will be mega glaile and etc
That would be an excellent solution. I really don't want a lot of the designa to go, it would be a wasted effort. Not to mention, if I can main through the story for the entire time Ampharos Fabuloso ita going to be glorious.
i'm not quite too sure. i think between Captains, Totems, and Kahunas, there'd be too many things. after all for each island there's a Kahuna, which requires a trial to be completed with each trial having a Captain and a Totem. two trials on an island would make for five boss battles, which, even for me, seems a bit much. that doesn't even factor in the game's plot, evil team, and Elite 4/Champion-ish aspects either.

i don't think so. i still think that the fourth island is fairly uninhabited. i think Sophocles is on the artificial island. that would seem to match up with his oddly technologically forward-appearing area. i guess it'd go Lana for Melemele, Kiawa for the second island, Mallow for the Big Island, and Sophocles for the artificial one. perhaps the fourth island is sacred and thus Alolans created the artificial one in response?
Its basically confirmed that the 4 islands are the 4 colors of the primary types. With Kiawe on the Fire Island, it would make sense for Captain Sophocles(I cannot type this with a straight face like seriously)to be on Melemele, and Lana on the Ice Island. Marrow is a dent though, she IS on Akala after all. As for the amount of bosses, I know it sounds a lot but it makes sense. The infowe got today confirms multiple island trials to reach the Kahuna, while each one has a captain. I think 2 o each island at the most, to match the number of gym leaders, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom