• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Well, the thing about the Alola formes is that like a lot of people point out. Regular Vulpix evolves via Fire Stone, so it's really interesting to see how Vulpice evolves. If it's a different evolving mechanic altogether, then the two lines might as well be different Pokemon.
Overall, the Alola formes give me the feeling that GF is plagiarizing itself. lol

Admittedly, I wouldn't be too upset if we got another small amount of Alola region Pokemon like we did with Kalos, mainly because of how good most of the designs are, but I can understand the annoyance and worry with that possibility too.
I'm fine with a small batch of new Pokemon this Gen as long as we get a ton of subspecies variations. The separate lore, typings, and movesets make them feel more like new Pokemon to me than Megas ever did, especially since you'll be able to have many Alola subspecies Pokemon on one team, where as investing all those resources into Megas was kind of a lose situation for me since you're only allowed one per team. As long as the subspecies + new Pokemon combined crack the 100 number, I think it will be a great generation.

I think someone on another forum noted this, but it feels like GameFreak is really nervous about Pokedex numbers hitting quad digits, probably worried it will intimidate newcomers.

Well, the thing about the Alola formes is that like a lot of people point out. Regular Vulpix evolves via Fire Stone, so it's really interesting to see how Vulpice evolves. If it's a different evolving mechanic altogether, then the two lines might as well be different Pokemon.
Overall, the Alola formes give me the feeling that GF is plagiarizing itself. lol
Perhaps we'll be getting ice stones?

"This is just a chunk of ice." Magic ice!" I don't believe you."

I'm fine with a small batch of new Pokemon this Gen as long as we get a ton of subspecies variations. The separate lore, typings, and movesets make them feel more like new Pokemon to me than Megas ever did, especially since you'll be able to have many Alola subspecies Pokemon on one team, where as investing all those resources into Megas was kind of a lose situation for me since you're only allowed one per team. As long as the subspecies + new Pokemon combined crack the 100 number, I think it will be a great generation.

I think someone on another forum noted this, but it feels like GameFreak is really nervous about Pokedex numbers hitting quad digits, probably worried it will intimidate newcomers.

While the variations will feel more like new Pokemon than Mega Pokemon did, I'm not sure if I'd want a ton of them, even if it was to make sure that there are a smaller amount of brand new Pokemon. I'd be content with around ninety brand new Pokemon not including the variations. I wouldn't be surprised if they are nervous about the Pokedex hitting the one thousand mark since that could make it intimidating to catch em all for newcomers, but if the designs keep staying good like this, I'm okay with that.

Guys, there is already an Ice Rock.

They could just make us level up Vulpix near one like with Eevee. It would save them the trouble of having to create a new item as well as give the Ice Rock more purpose than just evolving Eevee.

Guys, there is already an Ice Rock.

They could just make us level up Vulpix near one like with Eevee. It would save them the trouble of having to create a new item as well as give the Ice Rock more purpose than just evolving Eevee.
Or Vulpix could just hold a Nevermeltice and level up one.

The leak that mentioned the forms a while back also said that the number of new species would be greater than XY's, but not by much. So it should be somewhere in the 80-95 range.

As for forms, I am not sure they will go up to 29 as XY did for Mega Evolutions. The new designs require more thought than Mega Evolutions did.

Tons of information!

Here's my idea.

Alolan Forme
No need to talk about the badass and elegant ice guys who are loved by everyone.
Just talk about the dragon Exeggutor.

Like Bruxish, it's acceptably ugly.
Like Landorus trio, they are unacceptably ugly, cuzz they are in-expectation-ugly. I still like them least through all Pokemon.

But for the dragon Exeggutor, it is too weird to hate.
I even don't know how to hate it, because it's out of expectation.
Then its weirdo turns into cuteness. I love it now! I want it to be on my team!

GF always do something weird, not like fakemon, most of which make everything cute, badass and beautiful.
That's also why we are the fans of Pokemon for so many years.

New Pokemon
Battling against Minior is like drawing a lottery.
You won't know what color of candy will be inside.

Four islands seem to be Melemele, Akala, Ulaula, Poni.
Looking forward to the Ulaula-Red and Poni-Purple Totem Pokemon.

PokeDex slots and Rotation
PokeDex is too huge to catch them all now, especially for new-comers.
GF is always trying to cut down the number of Pokemon.
GF tried a lot.
  • Gen3, the concept 'forme' debuted.
  • Gen4, many more formes added. Exactly Rotom can be counted as 6 slots in Dex imo.
  • Gen5, make a totally new region, which makes new-comers feel they only need to catch 156 to fill the Dex.
  • Gen6, a new forme 'MEGA' debuted, which can be counted as new Pokemon in previous gens. Only 72 new Pokemon + 50 MEGAs. I always consider it as 122 new Pokemom.
  • Gen7, GF tried more. The regional forme!! Create "New" Pokemon without filling the slots.
Here's my guess.
We know many fans were looking forward to an ice fox. When GF was designing it, they would find it's hard to distinguish the new ice fox from Ninetales on shape. So they thought maybe another forme of Ninetales would be better and save the slots in PokeDex. Then they did it.

I don’t think mega or regional forme shows the laziness of GF.

Have you played some TCGs before like The Magic or HearthStone or even Pokemon TCG or something else?
Pokemon (Main Series Game) is kinda like a TCG game.
Choose 6 Pokemon cards and 24 Moves cards and 6 Items card to form a deck to battle against others.
Pokemon card pool is larger than 700.
Generally speaking, a TCG will retire some old cards and make new cards every season to keep the environment fresh, which is called ROTATION.
Like hearthstone, it retired the old "Hogger" and made a new "Hogger, Doom of Elwynn".

Recreation of old characters makes unusable characters usable. And players are still familiar with this character but they can get new feelings.
What GF is doing in Gen7 is ROTATION.
Gen1, which is over-consumed this year, rotates out, Gen1 Alolan forme and Gen7 rotates in.
In the announcement of Aug 1st, we know many Kanto people moved to Alola long long ago.
Alolan forme will only appear on Kanto Pokemon imo.
We aren't able to catch Kanto Ninetales, Sandslash and all these Kanto old formes in games in 2 years imo, until next game released or even Gen8,
(or Maybe Alolan forme is just generation-exclusive, which will make each gen worth buying if you really wanna catch them all…..)

Exactly, these can be designed and counted as totally differently new Pokemon, but GF didn't do it.
Creating Alolan forme took almost the same workload as creating new Pokemon imo. (Maybe who has a design job could tell me whether my thought is right)
They just want to save Dex slots.
And also Oricorio can be designed and counted as 4 slots if it were born in gen1, gen2.

Several advantages can be seen:
  • It's like a reward for old players. Only old players have fire-Ninetales in these 2 years.(For new-comers, if you wanna fire-Ninetales, please buy the older version or transfer with old players)
  • Save a lot of Dex slots to make the Dex not so huge.
  • New-comer friendly.
I don't think GF is lazy on Pokemon design. They still create more than 150 Pokemon figures in each gen, but in Gen6, Gen7, they won't be counted as so much. (though I think they are a little lazy on the plot design in XY)

Trial challenge and no gyms
Both are acceptable imo.
In XY, GF tried to take advantage of 3D feature to make unforgettable gym challenges, such as grass and rock gym.
Now we have more mature 3D tech, why do we limit 3D features in a small box, the gym?
Let's open it!
Just change a name, the gym leader to the trial captain.
The gyms become open-to-nature gyms, which sounds awesome! Right?
The core of Pokemon series doesn't change.
We still have to beat 8 good trainers, 4 great trainers and 1 champion to win our own champions.

Maybe Alolan forme and no gyms annoy some players now, but in long term I think it's a wise decision to keep Pokemon franchise grow and prosper for next 20 years.

Last edited:
So much to discuss!

-I LOVE Alola forms. I've wanted something like this in-game ever since watching the Orange Islands anime arc. To change typing as well as designs is so inspired! Also, it's a fun way to make old Pokemon lines relevant again without just slapping Mega Evolutions on 'em. New Ninetails is life. Exeggutor though LOL

-I'm not crazy about the apparent lack of gyms. Pokemon for me has 2 core aspects that keep me addicted: catching and collecting, and the gym/elite four challenge, so this news was a bit of a disappointment. I hope that if the gyms aren't included somehow, then they at the very least will return in future games. I know some fans feel this formula is 'stale' but I am the opposite - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hope that the Alola trials will be engaging, and the Kahunas enough of a challenge.

-Character designs are amazing this gen! I love Mallow and want to see lots of fanart!

-Z moves look silly and OP, and remind me a lot of Yokai Watch. I'll avoid using them xD

-HMs are gone. THANK YOU ARCEUS.

-The new Pokemon are looking great. I was SO hoping Mudsdale would have a prevo - it's adorkable! Definitely on my team :) Oricorio is beautiful and I hope it is actually usable and not just a gimicky dex filler. Fomantis and Lurantis are exquisite, the gen 6 Lilligant!

-We get more news on the 12th? Holy crap, GF, let us take a breath!

I was just being sarcastic. It's hard to pick it up. I'd rather they be Masterballs.

Can you imagine a master ball mimic in the wild though? It honestly might be a bit to overboard for anyone to actually fall for, like if you saw a stack of a hundred dollar bills sitting around in the street as opposed to a ten. Its legitimacy would me much, MUCH easier to question. :LOL:

(I know that that wasn't an actual serious suggestion, and I replied because I really liked the suggestion, not to rip apart your idea or something. Just clarifying because I know that tone can be really hard to make clear through text, haha)

Best. Trailer. Yet.

There was nothing I didn't like. Alola Ninetales is one of the best things I've ever seen, probably the highlight of the trailer for me. <3

RIP Gyms though, we love you. I love the new direction they're taking, though.

The Z-Moves sound wild, though. BLOOM DOOM.

Or Vulpix could just hold a Nevermeltice and level up one.
Or have a female Nintales holding an Ice item ajd outncomes an Icepix egg. Speakkng of that, if Alolan Pokon can be bred, from r the love of god make a different egg model for Alolan Mon.

Alola variants are the best idea Game Freak has introduced in a LONG time. My absolute favourite Alola feature sofar. I never thought a boring Pokemon like Sandslash would ever become so cool and fresh!

Z moves: still easily the worst feature imo. Boring, pointlessly OP, amd ridiculous dance moves included. Seeing how they take the place of a valuable item, and are nor reusable in battle, really delights me, though. They seem completely skippable, so cool.

The new Pokemon shown, and all the Alola Pokemon shown sofar, are quite meh to me (only ones I really like: Pikipek and Salandit), but I don't mind it, as long as there are more cool Alola variants of classic Pokemon.

Island Trials are weird: if they are a one time only Anniversary feature, I love it so much! However, if they are planning to have it as a long term replacement of Gyms, then NO! Gyms are a classic Pokemon game concept that should not be discontinued. They give a classic Pokemon flavor that Alola Trials can't replicate.

Also, no, Totem Pokemon are a cool idea, however they are just glorified wild battles, and can't replicate a battle vs a Pokemon Trainer.

Riding Pokemon: I like it's back, but I hoped Soaring would be ORAS only, however they seem to be copying it with Charizard flight. At least it is not a complete port, since they are not your own Pokemon like the Latis in ORAS.

If they are a complete replacement of HMs, I think I like them. But at the same time they would make Pokemon have more handholding.

Overall, I think all those changes are a a weapon with 2 blades. On the one hand, I find them very refreshing and positive for an Anniversary game, but I don't quite like them as a staple in the series. It's probably too early to say.

Yes, I like most of the changes, but at the same time i think Game Freak need to stop adding so many new mechanics every game, because it is already becoming a bit too much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom