• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that are [likely] Returning to Alola

Reaction score
I have compiled here a list of all the Pokemon from past generations that have had some involvement in Generation 7 and its many trailers and promotions. It's difficult to say whether or not all of these Pokemon will officially be obtainable in Alola pre or even post-NationalDex obtainment, but I at least felt that an official list would be helpful in keeping track. If you've missed any of these Pokemon, feel free to ask me about where I saw them!

Absol
Aerodactyl, Mega Aerodactyl
Alakazam
Arcanine
Archeops
Ariados
Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Mega Salamence
Bastiodon
Bonsly, Sudowoodo
Carbink
Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Charizard
Cleffa, Clefairy, Clafable
Corsola
Cubone, Marowak (Alolan Form*)
Delibird
Ditto
Dragonite
Drifloon
Drowzee, Hypno
Dugtrio (Demo Only, Alolan Form)
Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Umbreon, Espeon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon
Electabuzz, Electivire
Emolga
Exeggcute, Exeggutor (Alolan Form*)
Feebas, Milotic
Finneon
Fletchling, Fletchinder, Talonflame
Flygon
Gabite, Garchomp, Mega Garchomp
Gastly, Haunter, Gengar
Gigalith
Goodra
Snubbull, Granbull
Greninja (Demo Only), Ash-Greninja (Demo Only)
Grimer (Alolan Form*), Muk (Alolan Form*)
Happiny, Chansey
Hariyama
Kangaskhan, Mega Kangaskhan
Krookodile
Lapras
Ledyba
Lillipup, Stoutland
Luvdisc
Machop, Machamp
Magikarp, Gyarados
Magmar
Magneton, Magnezone
Masquerain
Meowth (normal and Alolan Form), Persian (revealed via merchandise, Alolan Form)
Metagross
Miltank
Misdreavus, Mismagius
Munchlax, Snorlax
Murkrow
Nosepass
Pancham, Pangoro
Parasect
Petilil, Lilligant
Phantump, Trevenant
Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu (Alolan Form*)
Pinsir
Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Politoed
Primeape
Psyduck, Golduck
Ratatta (Alolan Form*), Raticate (Alolan Form*)
Riolu, Lucario, Mega Lucario
Rotom (Shown in Normal and Pokedex Forms)
Rufflet
Sandshrew (Alolan Form*), Sandslash (Alolan Form*)
Scyther
Seaking
Spearow, Fearow
Sharpedo
Shellder, Cloyster
Shroomish
Skarmory
Slowpoke, Slowbro
Staryu, Starmie
Swablu
Tauros
Tirtouga, Carracosta
Torkoal
Trubbish
Vulpix (Alolan Form*), Ninetales (Alolan Form*)
Weavile
Wigglytuff
Wingull, Pelipper
Zubat, Golbat
Zygarde (shown in Cell, 10%, 50%, and Complete Forms)

*All Pokemon with Alolan Forms have also been shown in their normal forms, but not in-battle or in the overworld (except normal Meowth which has appeared in the overworld, normal Dugtrio which has not yet appeared at all, and normal Persian whose Alolan Form has only appeared on merchandise so far).

Pokemon that were referenced in some sort of structure/item/lore but did not appear yet in person:
Chinchou
Drifblim
Electrode
Gothorita
Haxorus
Horsea
Huntail
Krabby
Marill
Meganium
Porygon2
Slaking
Spheal
Tyranitar
Wailord
Whiscash

Pokemon shown on the official Sun and Moon website:
Klefki

Pokemon that were shown in early concept art of Alola:
Blastoise
Furfrou
Wobbuffet

Generation 7 Pokemon:
Rowlet, Dartrix
Litten, Torracat
Popplio, Brionne
Pikipek
Grubbin, Chargabug, Vikavolt
Yungoos, Gumshoos
Komala
Rockruff, Lycanroc (Sun Form), Lycanroc (Moon Form)
Salandit
Togedemaru
Drampa
Cutiefly, Ribombee
Bruxish
Stufful, Bewear
Mimikyu
Bounsweet, Steenee, Tsareena
Wimpod
Comfey
Mudbray, Mudsdale
Oricorio (Baile, Cheer, Pa'u, Sensu Styles)
Minior (Shelled, Red, Green, Yellow, Purple, Blue, Orange Cores)
Fomantis, Lurantis
Wishiwashi (Solo and School Forms)
Morelull
Sandygast, Palossand
Pyukumuku
Turtonator
Crabrawler
Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kammo-o
Passimian
Oranguru
Type: Null, Silvally
(Un-named Urchin-like Pokémon)
Tapu Koko
Solgaleo
Lunala
Magearna
Ultra Beasts:
UB-01
UB-02 Absorption
UB-02 Beauty

Let me know if I missed any! :) I'll try and keep this as updated as possible!

Last edited:
Pokemon that received new forms in generation 7:
Greninja (Ash-Greninja)
Floette (AZ's Floette [???])

Isn't it too early to put these two in the list? We still have no confirmation on Ash-Greninja being in the games and we have no clue if Eternal Flower Floette will ever be distributed to us. It does make me wonder about Eternal Flower Floette if it does get released in Sun/Moon, but I'll save that for another day...

Though, aside from that, you forgot to include the Zygarde forms - Zygarde Cell, Zygarde Core, Zygarde 10% Forme, and Zygarde Complete Forme.

EDIT: I'd also say it'd be nice to make note of the Generation 7 Pokemon that do have forms, such as Solgaleo's Radiant Sun Phase and Lunala's Full Moon Phase, but that's just me.

Isn't it too early to put these two in the list? We still have no confirmation on Ash-Greninja being in the games and we have no clue if Eternal Flower Floette will ever be distributed to us. It does make me wonder about Eternal Flower Floette if it does get released in Sun/Moon, but I'll save that for another day...

I included them under their own category. To be fair, both are already included in games. (Ash-Greninja is in Picross and Shuffle while Floette-Eternal is in X and Y's coding). I felt that this made them at least notably related to gen 7 which is why I included them.

Though, aside from that, you forgot to include the Zygarde forms - Zygarde Cell, Zygarde Core, Zygarde 10% Forme, and Zygarde Complete Forme

I didn't forget them, they're up there in the main list! :) I didn't include the Core or Cell Forms because it seems unlikely that you will be able to use those in battle. For the same reason I didn't include Rotom in its Pokedex Form

EDIT: I'd also say it'd be nice to make note of the Generation 7 Pokemon that do have forms, such as Solgaleo's Radiant Sun Phase and Lunala's Full Moon Phase, but that's just me.

Eh I don't really consider these to be separate forms themselves. They're more like stances a that are taken before using a move. They don't really seem to change any stats or anything. Reshiram, Zekrom, Black-Kyurem, and White-Kyurem all had similar appearance changes that were never considered alternate forms and were also named (though I'm mobile right now so I can't look it up at the moment)

Spotted Lilligant battling the Pa'u Oricorio in the Japanese trailer. You have to pause it right at the exact time though.

Also I wouldn't include the normal forms for Vulpix, Ninetails, Sandshrew, Sandslash or Exeggutor. We haven't actually seen those in Alola yet.

I am 90% sure that I saw the normal Exeggutor in one trailer or TV spot.

I've been searching for it but can't find it anymore. But, if anyone does, that will prove that already revealed final forms like Arcanine, Fearow and Machamp can also get Alola forms.

Weird that it can't be found anymore. I'm not sure what I clicked, but yeah, pretty sure I saw it in the last month.

Not entirely sure but I think Exeggcute would remain the same but evolve into the new Exeggutor.

Yeah, but I saw original Exeggutor standing and looking like its derpy self. (No Exeggcute in this trailer)

Not 100% confirmed, but it seems the normal forms of Pokemon with Alola forms will not be available. Only the Alola forms.

Spotted Lilligant battling the Pa'u Oricorio in the Japanese trailer. You have to pause it right at the exact time though.

Also I wouldn't include the normal forms for Vulpix, Ninetails, Sandshrew, Sandslash or Exeggutor. We haven't actually seen those in Alola yet.

I included the Normal Forms because they are technically shown in the trailers juxtaposed next to their new Alolan counterparts. The background they are shown in also seems to be that of the gen 7 Pokedex, so it seems like a good idea to include them in the list for now.

Not 100% confirmed, but it seems the normal forms of Pokemon with Alola forms will not be available. Only the Alola forms.

You probably posted this beforehand, but the Meowth the PC has at home is in its normal form so it seems like both varieties will be in game somehow! :)

And with that the list is updated with the most recent trailers! I also added Lilligant. Do any of you plan on using these returning Pokemon on your team?

You probably posted this beforehand, but the Meowth the PC has at home is in its normal form so it seems like both varieties will be in game somehow!

The thing with the mother's Meowth is that it's from the region they moved from. It isn't from Alola.

You probably posted this beforehand, but the Meowth the PC has at home is in its normal form so it seems like both varieties will be in game somehow!

The Meowth, iirc, is confirmed to have come to the Alola region with you (the player) and your mom from abroad, as you just moved to Alola. So it's not native. It will probably serve as an example of how different certain Pokemon can be in Alola.

The thing with the mother's Meowth is that it's from the region they moved from. It isn't from Alola.

The Meowth, iirc, is confirmed to have come to the Alola region with you (the player) and your mom from abroad, as you just moved to Alola. So it's not native. It will probably serve as an example of how different certain Pokemon can be in Alola.

Right, my main point was that it at least confirms that both forms are present in the games which leads me to believe that they will also both be obtainable somehow (though, it might involve transferring).

Pokemon that received new forms in generation 7:
Greninja (Ash-Greninja)
Floette (Eternal Flower [???])
Let's not treat speculation as fact. This is really unprofessional.

Just say that they might be included if you have to say anything about them at all. They haven't appeared in any Sun/Moon context yet.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom