• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Team Skull Speculation

As interesting as this concept is, what you propose is similar to a holy war. I'm not sure that's something Pokemon wants to tackle.

holy wars are ambiguous. the mass extinction dealt with in XY would be almost unanimously recognized as bad. i don't think holy war would necessarily be off the table, although it would likely take a lot of Plasma-esque writing which i'd say isn't all that ideal.

I'm gonna step back and say I don't actually see how the idea @tyguy723 proposed is similar to a holy war at all. I mean, why isn't the conflict between Team Magma and Team Aqua a holy war? It's for power but it's also based on their beliefs that there should be more land/water. And just having the two "clans" competing to summon their own legendary sounds more, as I just said, like a competition, not a war. Especially if they DON'T have malicious intent like previous teams had. Continuing with the idea, I could see the Clan Leaders or whatever meeting each other, or opposing clan members meeting each other, without any animosity between them. Sure, they want different things, but that doesn't mean they have to hate each other or want to kill each other, or even battle each other. (On a side note, we all know Maxie and Archie DEFINITELY don't hate each other ;) ;) )
Anyway I liked the idea, but I think it won't happen for another reason; defeating the big bad is a better story for a younger audience. At least I think so....

Well, hey, think about it this way. One route they could go with in that idea is that there's two Legendaries to summon, but only one item to do it with - maybe the two clans are best of buddies, but they have to face reality to further their goals and attack each other for the sake of their side, loyalty to their people and all. A war nobody wants to fight over. Perhaps then, the player character's job is to finish the job where they could not (having been stopped in some fashion or another). That being said, it would be a bit weird to see the player character take sides...
They could also make it so that they were best buds before the conflict started, maybe like a modern version of the fight between the brothers of truth and ideals in BW.

Or maybe the plot goes off the rails and reveals that there are three Legendaries to summon, and the player ends up going the FE:Fates Revelations route and chooses neither side for the climax. Sounds more like a third-version story, though.

Maybe I just want to bring the Sengoku period into the actual games, lol.

I came across the idea of the gym leaders of the region being based on the 8 planets, with the leader of the evil team being based on Pluto - a rejected/renounced gym leader out for revenge to regain his status. I really like this idea, and I think it would be a fresh direction for the series to take. I totally didn't just spend the last four hours coming up with ideas and concepts for said gym leaders, team leader, and elite four/champion based on this concept...

I'm gonna say that the evil team are pirates and that they will sail between the islands with their big old ship that we can see in the middle of the map.

My guess is they'll pull an environmentalist version of Team Plasma maybe with an opposing team that wants to pave over the land and industrialize the region.

Some theories have Team Flare as the evil team of Sun and a opposite team of them. However, I think we are getting an original evil team and not a previous evil team but who knows? Game Freak has pulled surprises so just have to wait and see.

The most compelling goal I've seen of the potential villains is to plunge the world into darkness, perhaps by having Solgaleo devouring the Sun or Lunala calling the Moon. This may also have a drastic environmental impact as well, as it may effect the tides and each island. No matter their goal, though, I hope that it's believable and well-executed. I'd love a team of villains led by a maniac, of sorts, not someone as calm or integrated into the story as a Cyrus or Lysandre.

I would love if the team wasn't really evil. Note: this is not a BW tease where the intentions are sugar coated to look not evil with a leader that actually is corrupt.

I would love it if there were two teams that opposed one another, but their intention was not to be some over worldly goal that causes mass chaos.

A team around the sun legend and another around the moon legend. Each team's goal is to call upon their respected idolized legendary in order to simply see it and bask in its glory. What exactly is the catch to why the two teams rival one another? The lore behind the legends known to the public is incomplete and gives an improper instruction on how each legend can appear. The implications that the people of the region and two teams know about and believe is that in order to have on legend appear, the other must stay dormant. So the game could play on in that you see people from your game's respective main team and they ask you to help them fight off the opposing team as you delve into ancient areas with clues on how to summon the box legend, for you don't know the truth behind the lore and are caught in the mix of the fighting. The climax of the plot leads to both teams realizing how to summon their respective legends, and they both do such at the same time, only then realizing they were fighting for no reason: in order to summon legendary ###, you must summon its counterpart at the same time. Day and night play with one another in a constant game, just as the legends of sun and moon do. Both legends appear and each team is in awe of their presence. Each legend seeks out the most powerful trainer in front of them to face and allow to be captured...you catch your box legend, but what about the other? Your rival will have been true in his/her nature of opposition and supported the other team, thus, being the one to face the other legend. Then commence a rival battle once you each catch (or kill) the legendary.

No crime, no destroy the world, alter the world, control the world...simply teams that value their legendaries as figures of prestige...

ALSO, to add to the discussion of changing the format of calling them TEAM ### and whatever, since these groups simply adore the lore and legendaries, they could be named like the Sun Clan and Moon Clan or something....almost like if they were the native americans of the region and had a foggy history of what the legends were...

#justmyopinionthough #it'sokaytodisagree

@tyguy723: But then what would be the point of the player fighting them? If they're not doing anything wrong or interfering with something, then there would be no point in confronting them, and there would be no need for them to confront the player.
I'm thinking that Sogaleo and Lunala wouldn't take too kindly to being woken up from their nap. They might end up cranky and pissed, going on a rampage that neither clans anticipated. That's where the player and the rival step in.

The most compelling goal I've seen of the potential villains is to plunge the world into darkness, perhaps by having Solgaleo devouring the Sun or Lunala calling the Moon. This may also have a drastic environmental impact as well, as it may effect the tides and each island.
I hope there's no Aqua-esque goal involved of flooding the islands. <_<

I came across the idea of the gym leaders of the region being based on the 8 planets, with the leader of the evil team being based on Pluto - a rejected/renounced gym leader out for revenge to regain his status. I really like this idea, and I think it would be a fresh direction for the series to take. I totally didn't just spend the last four hours coming up with ideas and concepts for said gym leaders, team leader, and elite four/champion based on this concept...

Except there are more than eight planets...

The most compelling goal I've seen of the potential villains is to plunge the world into darkness, perhaps by having Solgaleo devouring the Sun or Lunala calling the Moon. This may also have a drastic environmental impact as well, as it may effect the tides and each island. No matter their goal, though, I hope that it's believable and well-executed. I'd love a team of villains led by a maniac, of sorts, not someone as calm or integrated into the story as a Cyrus or Lysandre.
Ghetsis was sort of a nut in BW1 then in BW2 his lunacy is on full display.

Do we really need a evil team every generation that wants power, the world, control?
Maybe for once we could get a team that wants to take over gyms and the pokemon league becuse they think that they would do the job better?
Or a team of heroes that solve problems with a Chaos pokemon with play?

Team Skull, huh? I love the design of the Grunts and the girl, but their Boss Guzuma looks...weird. I don't like the glasses or the gold chain around his neck.

More importantly, let's talk about the name.

The most common symbolic use of the skull is as a representation of death and mortality. As a direct contrast to this we have the Alola region which has been stated to be overflowing with life force. Taking that into consideration, Team Skull stands in direct opposition to the Alola region.

I wonder if the leader of Team Skull is obsessed with death, hence the name.

I really hope team skull keeps its name in English (GRAMPS lives... plus an f). Othewise they'd have to change their super cool logo. And that would just be a tragedy because I love it so much.

I feel like team skull will be really rebellious since they look kind of like the Punk trainers from Kalos. Going against tradition. Their designs are really good to me.. Much better than Plasma's first look and Flare grunts in general.

Lol the outfit of the Team Skull Grunts looks like BW2 Plasma grunts outfit.

While I like the design for the boss, I just have to say that it doesn't fit to the whole evil team leader appearance. He looks to much like a punkster and the whole team looks like generic gang members who just want to annoy and rob someone.

The female one looks quite horrible.

Also the boss wears a Z-Ring with a golden/yellow Z-Crystal. Maybe for psychic types and since Solgaleo and Lunala are both Psychic types, I can imagine him using one of the legendaries to destroy the earth with their Z-Attack? and using them against us in battle maybe.

Maybe for psychic types and since Solgaleo and Lunala are both Psychic types
Highly doubt that. There are many Z-Crystal types that could fit, Fighting and Electric being the ones I can think of off the top of my head due to your description of its colour. Because of how they're coloured IRL (as in, the actual toy products) being a very close match to their colours as displayed in the games themselves, a Psychic type one would be pink. At the moment, there's no evidence to suggest that any special macguffin device involving Z-Moves or Z-Crystals exist, so for now, I'm ruling that out.

EDIT: since CoroCoro has leaked and is not officially out yet, putting this in spoiler tags :p

I love love LOVE the new evil team's design! SO much better than Team Flare, who I never connected with and who honestly felt very lacking design-wise straight after Black Team Plasma. I feel like over the years we've gotten so used to evil teams being organised and plotting sophisticated world domination from their large multi storey HQs, I don't mind going back to basics - a bunch of creepy thugs out to cause evil and chaos.

I wonder if Skull want to do some tribalistic ritual to summon either Solgaleo or Lunala and cause permanent day/night for their own nefarious purposes. Hmm.

*I'd disagree with them looking like Plasma... They look more like the updated Team Aqua but dark type.

It would be interesting to see if Team Rocket's Meowth becomes a dark type in the Anime...

I do love the Skull logo, even if I am still not quite sold on the designs. I am warming up to the Leader - I really do wish that he could have been a girl for freaking once, however - and seeing the rest of them in motion will probably help, I bet.

Still don't love 'em like I loved Team Flare and the original Team Plasma.

They remind me quite a bit of the Punk Guy/Punk Girl designs from XY. I mean, obviously they both run on the same concept, but I wonder if there could be some in-universe connection? Maybe these guys are a group of Kalosian thugs who found their way to Alola for whatever reason.

I also wonder, will they have a nameless Admin class like Team Flare did?

I really hope team skull keeps its name in English (GRAMPS lives... plus an f). Othewise they'd have to change their super cool logo. And that would just be a tragedy because I love it so much.

GRAMPFS

Or GRAMPSFS if you want to include the S on Plasma's logo.

Can we please have another Team whose name starts with a vowel?

I wonder if Skull want to do some tribalistic ritual to summon either Solgaleo or Lunala and cause permanent day/night for their own nefarious purposes. Hmm.

I mean, if those nefarious purposes involve killing everybody including themselves, because that's what permanent night or day would do.

Do you remember how, way back when, everybody kind of misinterpreted Team Aqua and Magma's goals in RSE, and thought that they actually wanted to drown the whole planet/evaporate all water? And how everybody thought they were insane because that would be suicidal? Creating permanent day or night would essentially be on that scale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom