• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY131: Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!

I knew that Ash would lose against Alain. I'd say "better luck in Alola", but it is already foregone conclusion that Ash will lose in the Alola League as well. And the Generation VIII (Galar) league. And Generation IX (Paldea) and X and so on. All this hype for nothing, and proof that Ash will never ever win a league.

The anime has officially jumped the shark.

Last edited:
It was written for ash to win. They teased it so hard. The show and corocoro said"greninjas never beaten his charizard" and also atleast make him knockout from attack not out of energy. Especially considering the next games dont have a league. If serena or shota doesent come to alola im done til an xy like omg this is good again happens

As for the whole episode, there was a "Ash is doing really well" waves everywhere. No conflict no anything, which meant the worse hasn't happened yet and the worst was him losing. The fact that there was nothing to keep you on the edge of the seat until the last moment was a pretty big indicator that Ash was going to lose. If he was going to win, there was going to be some sort of a struggle (take Paul's Drapion for example).

Exactly. That is not how you conduct a final battle. Greninja obliterating Mega Charizard X with its Mega Shuriken and then just fainting is ridiculous. If there was more of a struggle, more tension instead of just "Woah!! Look at cool and at each other they are!!!" Greninja losing would have been more satisfying - you could say you're still disappointed that Ash lost, but feel satisfaction from how the battle turned out and that Ash is really a strong and amazing trainer. I felt none of them despite expecting Ash to lose more than winning, so there was no satisfaction. There's also the stigma that people are bored of Ash and having to face a loss in every league. It's just very demoralizing to watch a show and knowing how the badge quest will end. There's also the fact that Alain didn't even want to win the league and only joined it because Ash was joining, so it's not like there's the tension of both sides having struggled a lot to get to the point that they are.

It was written for ash to win. They teased it so hard. The show and corocoro said"greninjas never beaten his charizard" and also atleast make him knockout from attack not out of energy. Especially considering the next games dont have a league. If serena or shota doesent come to alola im done til an xy like omg this is good again happens
Man, this what shit writing actually is.

Woah, what an episode! Ok, here's a brief run down of what happened if you didn't see a stream and can't wait until the episode airs...

- Pikachu and Lizardon briefly exchange blows as seen in the preview, with Lizardon winning... which we all knew would happen.
- Alan recalls Lizardon and sends out Kirikizan, so Satoshi sends out Numelgon and instantly uses Rain Dance. We see a brief shot of the Wetland Pokemon watching the match, as well as Limone listening on the radio while doing maintenance work with the Citroid... but STILL no cameos from Satoshi's mom or Okido) Numelgon manages to get in a few blows with Dragon Pulse and Bide, however Kirikizan successfully uses Guillotine and Numelgon is out (like Onvern, Numelgon doesn't get a straight win this competition which sucks). Now Satoshi has fallen behind, numbers wise.
- Satoshi sends out his last Gekkouga, and instantly Bond Evolves it (I'm guessing this is the official term now) into Satoshi-Gekkouga. Alan responds by Mega Evolving Lizardon.
- The two seem evenly matched, and Satoshi and Alan go into that weird mind-space to talk to each other in thoughts... after that, Gekkouga launches the massive Water Shuriken seen in the preview, while Mega Lizardon X uses Blast Burn. The two attacks collide and both Pokemon are hit, causing a gigantic explosion. At this point, my heart is in my mouth.
- The smoke clears with Lizardon and Gekkouga staring each other down, and there's a moment when the writers deliberately troll us by having Lizardon stumble. However it recovers, and Gekkouga is the one to go down. Yes, as you've gathered from the thread, Satoshi loses. Personally, I'm ok with it. We've still seen a lot of progress from him this league and he put up a great fight... but I would have been so much happier had he won, goddammit!
- Satoshi's friends feel sorry for him, while Platene and Carne comment on the battle. Marin is overjoyed until she realises Fleur-de-lis has disappeared.
- Satoshi is much happier with his loss than most of the viewers are right now, and thanks Gekkouga for a good try. Later he talks to his friends about what he's experienced, while Alan sits alone and considers how important Satoshi has been to him.
- At Miare Gym, a contraption has been set up on the main battlefield. Fleur-de-lis arrives, and the contraption shoots red energy into the captive Z2. Puni-chan senses what is happening.
- The closing ceremony begins and Alan receives the Winners Trophy from Carne, as Z2 is placed until Team Flare's control. It flies to the top of Prism Tower and summons many cells from across the city (seriously, given how many there seems to be I have trouble believing Puni-chan and Z2 were the first ones seen by humans). It begins to transform, and vines shoot out from Prism Tower half-destroying it and begin to level Miare City. People in the streets run for cover as Limone and Citroid see what is happening.
- At the League, the closing ceremony is interrupted when the vines start laying waste to the stadium. As people begin to run, Puni-chan leaps out of Eureka's bag and starts heading towards Prism Tower.
- Z2 completes its transformation into 50% form as Fleur-de-lis declares his victory.

Seriously, awesome episode. If the battle wasn't good enough, we get a great beginning for the Flare Arc which is our true final battle.

I knew that Ash would lose against Alain. I'd say "better luck in Alola", but it is already foregone conclusion that Ash will lose in the Alola League as well. And the Generation VIII league. And Generation IX and X and so on. All this hype for nothing, and proof that Ash will never ever win a league.

The anime has officially jumped the shark.

Alola won't have a league it will be like Orange islands and Battle frontier, so of course he will win it. Then lose the league again next season, rinse repeat.

Seriously, awesome episode. If the battle wasn't good enough, we get a great beginning for the Flare Arc which is our true final battle.

But Team Flare as an organization was introduced very late in the series. Why should that justify the League being treated more as an afterthought? Of course if you don't think it was an afterthought, that's fine, but considering the outcome and how the last 10 minutes of the episode was more focused on Team Flare, it's hard to not think of it as an afterthought.

You know what? I'm totally ok. It's strange, but I'm not upset at all even though I went in hoping for Ash to win.

Maybe it's because I accepted this as a possibility, or perhaps there's some other reason. Maybe it's just me not letting the result of a major anime battle spoil my day. This is, after all, not real. I could be bitter and salty but what would it achieve?

Alola won't have a league it will be like Orange islands and Battle frontier, so of course he will win it. Then lose the league again next season, rinse repeat.

As far as we know, we have little idea what Alola will bring. Maybe there will be gyms as a secondary challenge (to remain faithful to the franchise). Maybe there will be a league after conquering all islands, with its own Elite Four and Champion. But all we know for the next series: new companions, new Pokémon, a league, a clash with Team Skull with a poorly written or Lighter and Softer plot than the games, Litten coming from an abusive trainer (if Ash catches it), and Ash losing the league to the surprise of absolutely nobody above the age of 3.

But Team Flare as an organization was introduced very late in the series.

Actually, it was introduced pretty early on in the first Mega Evolution Act back before Satoshi even had his second Gym Battle, so you can't pretend they were an afterthought. Also, who knows when the anime producers started planning the Zygarde act... they could have known about the different forms even back then.

so now the league is over now the team flare arc and boy first episode and boy team flare is revealing their colors to Alain so how get ash captured?

You know what? I'm totally ok. It's strange, but I'm not upset at all even though I went in hoping for Ash to win.

Maybe it's because I accepted this as a possibility, or perhaps there's some other reason. Maybe it's just me not letting the result of a major anime battle spoil my day. This is, after all, not real. I could be bitter and salty but what would it achieve?

I'm not happy with how the battle turned out but I'm not letting it spoil my day! It's just an exchange of opinions and perspectives. You may be feeling okay with it just because the initial shocked passed - your hope was crushed but it wasn't something that was personally important and like you said you accepted it as a possibility.

Actually, it was introduced pretty early on in the first Mega Evolution Act back before Satoshi even had his second Gym Battle, so you can't pretend they were an afterthought. Also, who knows when the anime producers started planning the Zygarde act... they could have known about the different forms even back then.

Lysandre was, but we didn't get that much focus on him until XYZ started. That's why I said as an organization.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom