• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokédex Entries that Conflict with the Game

nishthelegendarytrainer

The Legendary Pokéfan who caught Shenron!
Reaction score
What are some Pokedex entries that don't pan out too well in the actual game? I'm talking about stuff like Pidgeot flying at mach 2, and Dragonite being fast enough to circle the world in 16 hours, yet both have mediocre speed stats. Generally weird things can also apply like a boy waking up one morning and turning into a Kadabra, or a Machamp apparently doing 1000 punches in a second lol. that should make it the most OP poke.... imagine it DynamicPunching 1000 times in a second....

Obviously Cubone's description of wearing the skull of its dead mother conflicted the instant breeding was introduced. ...That's for the best, though. lol

I recall there being a Pokemon that if you stare into its back it'll steal your soul or something. Can not remember which one, though. Also, there is Houndoom's description that if its fire touches another Pokemon "the pain will never go away". Obviously that isn't true. It's flame attacks are just standard in the games.

Vulpix being born with only one tail then growing up to six. MAKE IT HAPPEN ALREADY GAMEFREAK!

Last edited:
Yanmega's HeartGold entry is a pretty startling contradiction:

> "This six-legged Pokémon is easily capable of transporting an adult in flight. The wings on its tail help it stay balanced."

(Can't learn Fly)

Oh and this was probably just an oversight, but Lunatone's Emerald entry says this:

> "It becomes very active on the night of a full moon. This POKéMON was first discovered 40 years ago at the site of a meteor strike."

Do note that HGSS and, more importantly, Y both use a slightly shorter version of this entry, so explain what that is up in the left corner of this 3000-year-old flashback, Science:

KGSIkM7.jpg

I recall there being a Pokemon that if you stare into its back it'll steal your soul or something. Can not remember which one, though.

Shedinja

Last edited:
Rhyhorn's entries always state that its Tackle attack can demolish anything, but Rhyhorn can't learn Tackle in any shape or form, so it doesn't match.

Another is that Talonflame finishes off opponents with powerful kicks, but Talonflame can't use any sort of kicking move, or any move that would use kicks or use its feet in any shape or form, unlike Staraptor's Close Combat.

Honedge has more breeding silliness:
"Apparently this Pokémon is born when a departed spirit inhabits a sword. It attaches itself to people and drinks their life force."
So I guess the breeding center has a veritable armoury somewhere, and something even more disturbing as well...

Borderline example for it, too:
"If anyone dares to grab its hilt, it wraps a blue cloth around that person's arm and drains that person's life energy completely."

You can rub your hands all over that hilt in Amie and you don't get drained.

I believe that most of the entries are myths and legends that surround Pokemon.
Or are origins, not inherent natures.

The entries are of one particular Pokemon, not necessarily YOUR Pokemon.

The entries are of one particular Pokemon, not necessarily YOUR Pokemon.
Pokedex entries are not of a PARTICULAR Pokemon, they are about the whole species in general. So, if it says that Blaziken can jump very high, it means that all Blazikens can jump very high, and that includes MY Blaziken too.

Oh and this was probably just an oversight, but Lunatone's Emerald entry says this:

> "It becomes very active on the night of a full moon. This POKéMON was first discovered 40 years ago at the site of a meteor strike."

Do note that HGSS and, more importantly, Y both use a slightly shorter version of this entry, so explain what that is up in the left corner of this 3000-year-old flashback, Science:

KGSIkM7.jpg

Mind to ask where does that picture came from? I couldn't recall.

BTW, what is that triangular Pokemon above Rhyperior? I can't get what is that even by browsing all 721 Pokemon pictures. So a new Pokemon that is not yet confirmed?

Mind to ask where does that picture came from? I couldn't recall.

BTW, what is that triangular Pokemon above Rhyperior? I can't get what is that even by browsing all 721 Pokemon pictures. So a new Pokemon that is not yet confirmed?

It is a scene from the flashback to AZ's war from 3000 years in the past in X and Y. The triangle is just the flower held by AZ's Floette.

Pokedex entries are not of a PARTICULAR Pokemon, they are about the whole species in general. So, if it says that Blaziken can jump very high, it means that all Blazikens can jump very high, and that includes MY Blaziken too.

Well, no. Not necessarily.

Like I said, many entries talk about a particular Pokemon at the time the entire was written (which is implied to be written by someone in-world who made those observations.)
This is supported by the fact that different entries for the same Pokemon vary across generations.

While some Pokemon (such as Honedge mentioned above) speak of the Origins of a particular Pokemon, even though every Pokemon after the first are born of the traditional method. Honedge first originated as it's entry suggests but has since became a regular part of the normal Pokemon Lifecycle.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom