• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the removal of Gyms is permanent?

Do you think that Gyms are gone forever?

• Yes, it's time to do something different.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, GameFreak won't make a change that drastic.

Votes: 47 79.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can smell some sour grapes.

Like stated above, they may just be testing the water and depending on how well we handle them mixing up the formula, it may determine how gyms will be implemented in the next games.
The change will be a successful one, I bet. Gyms needed to go a long time ago, and it is a good thing for every region to have its own spin on the quest to become a Champion.

I think it really depends on how successful they are.
If they're a hit , I can see future games having different variations of this system

I think this kind of change should remain an Alola feature. I would probably like the trials when I play them but I always prefer gyms so I hope we get back to pokemon gyms.

I'll save my overall opinions until after I've seen more of the trials themselves, but I won't lie and say I'm not tired of gyms. While I love the badge collecting, I've grown tired of the same routine of go to town, grind pokemon, beat gym, get badge, unlock ability to use move that will allow you to get past an obstacle/remove plot wall blocking your way, go to town, grind pokemon beat gym, and so on.

I'm hoping this can create something new to help make gyms/whatever replaces them (if they are replaced) feel unique and not just "annoying puzzle X to battle Y type leader in a gym full of Y type trainers."

The gym formula desperately needed a revamp. I'm surprised so many people want the same thing over and over again. If Gamefreak wants to maintain interest in their games, they've gotta start changing things up.

Probably not. My guess that since the Alola Region takes place on a region where the individual islands are too small to create a individual region for, Gamefreak wanted to do something that would be better suited for said island region, which the regular gym system likely couldn't be fully utilized or able to use them in a effective manner.

Though, if Sun and Moon is successful, I expect Gamefreak might use the same or a similar system for any future region or regions that are made up of a bunch of islands, like the Ryukyu Islands, rather than a region that that is part of a larger land mass (a continent or large island, like Japan's Honshu Island) and maybe a few smaller connected islands, like Kanto and Unova.

I can't see the permanent removal of Gyms. It's already kind of mind-boggling that it would happen in one game, though it is a nice change, but I can not see it happening again. It works for Alola too. Alola was already so much about it's culture and you could just feel it. I think it would be weird to have gyms in Alola, after seeing it now.

I can see rather that gyms won't focus only on the main types.
It would be better if moves, abilities and the secondary typings would shine.
Example:
A water type gym, should be made of 3 pokemon, that all have secondary typings, good abilities full 4 move slots with good moves and strategic use.

The gym formula desperately needed a revamp. I'm surprised so many people want the same thing over and over again. If Gamefreak wants to maintain interest in their games, they've gotta start changing things up.

Frankly, I think Gyms need to be based less on type themes and more on regional aspects. It would require trainers to have to plan on building more diverse teams instead of realizing "Oh, that's a Rock Gym... better bring a bunch of Water Pokemon!" and having 1 or 2 blast through everything. For example, if a Gym is based in a mountain community, the Gym would emphasize Pokemon you'd expect to see in Mountain ranges, such as Rock, Ground, and Ice. A coastal town would have Water and Grass, and so forth.

Also, with the potential removal of HM moves, Gyms would likely become less of barriers you need to conquer to unlock the ability to progress in the game and instead challenge based upon levels, meaning your main obstacle is the strength of your team.

I'm still kind of surprised that more people were tired of Gym battle formats than I initially thought. While Gyms weren't perfect as they were, I was fine with them and most of the improvements I was thinking of would be to make the Gym leaders more fleshed out/important beyond just giving out a badge. Having some Gyms later on in the journey not being dominated by a specific type would have been okay too.

That being said, if they do have new Gym formats/concepts for each new region, I think that could be okay. Like I said before, it really depends on how well the Island Trials are received. They'll obviously have to do something different besides the Island Trial since that comes off as something unique to the Alola region, but if they want to make new Gym-like challenges that help to give a region its own unique identity, I think that could work. It also helps to give a bit more unpredictability compared to Gyms, so that's kind of neat. It will be easier to tell for sure after playing through some of the Island Trials of course.

Probably won't happen but what if Alola gets gyms in post game. There could be a small time skip like a week/month later where gyms have been built. Therefore we can explore the new concept of island trials in the story while doing gyms in post game. Unlikely though.

Until we have any confirmation from Nintendo or the fully released game about whether there's gyms or not, I actually doubt they would even remove gyms from Sun and Moon. Just because they have something similar, doesn't mean Gyms are being replaced. As for Nintendo stating that the Island Trials are a requirement to becoming Champion, maybe they've added an extra requirement for challenging the Elite Four or maybe the Gyms could be a part of the Trials.

From what we know right now, it doesn't even feel as major as it's being made out to be. I can't help but see it as a fresh coat of paint on an aging bike rather than a new bike entirely.

The concept of defeating 8 powerful trainers, followed by a set of 4 even stronger trainers and a "champion" will always be there. How it is portrayed however, such as through "Gym Leaders" or "Trial Captains," may change throughout the games.

I doubt it, this seems more like a special thing for 7th gen to differentiate itself. Kind of like how BW ended with the final battle against Team Plasma instead of the Champion and then we went right back to having Champions again.

The concept of defeating 8 powerful trainers, followed by a set of 4 even stronger trainers and a "champion" will always be there. How it is portrayed however, such as through "Gym Leaders" or "Trial Captains," may change throughout the games.

Aren't there only 4 Island Trials though?

Aren't there only 4 Island Trials though?

It's been confirmed that there are more than four trial captains, so it could actually be eight (two on each island). There are four Grand Trials, the battles against the Kahuna's, which could therefore be seen as the Elite Four.

It's been confirmed that there are more than four trial captains, so it could actually be eight (two on each island). There are four Grand Trials, the battles against the Kahuna's, which could therefore be seen as the Elite Four.
It can't be two Trial Captains per island, because Lana, Mallow and Kiawe are all on Akala Island.

A change-up was needed, if even only once. :)

It can't be two Trial Captains per island, because Lana, Mallow and Kiawe are all on Akala Island.

Ah right, well then it completely proves that there aren't going to be just four. However, it could be that you only battle eight of them? So they would still sort of be the gyms of this region and you do other quests too. This change really is just for the better, going back to just gyms after this would be such a let-down.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom