• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I love Brionne so much. It's so precious and adorable. Reading more about its information on the official site just made me love it even more. It could be my new favorite Water starter at this rate. It needs to be loved and I will so love mine when I choose Popplio in Sun. I just hope that there will be plush toys of all of Popplio's evolutions. I need that like right now.

Brionne has definitely grown on me over the past day, and, even though it does look a bit feminine, i still could rather easily see it being either gender. And I don't see why people have a problem with barionne looking like the way it does. If there are pokemon that that look more masculine that can be both genders, then there shouldn't be problem with there being pokemon that look more feminine that can be both genders.

Well, I still having Popplio in my team along with Rowlet and Litten because I said I would use all three starters to celebrate the anniversary. I suppose it might grow on me eventually but I will always love Rowlet line the most.

Anyway, I like to see the reveal of Pikipek and Cutiefly's evolution for next bit of news.

I meant to post all my thoughts on everything yesterday, but I didn't have time. I'm gonna put the whole thing in spoiler tags because 1) It's long 2) It mentions some leaks & 3) Parts of it might turn into a a bit of a rant, so read at your own risk.
Dartrix- The more I look at this guy the more I like him. His facial expressions are really expressive & I think that really adds to his character. He's got a whole rich/high society/spoiled/butler thing going on. I've been making Arrow jokes about Rowlet's line since I first saw the leaked Rowlet3 & this fits in perfectly. Dartrix is basically Oliver Queen before his time on the island.

Torracat- I like him, I just don't have a lot to say about him. I like his little bell collar flame sack thing, & he makes the progression from Litten to Litten3 seem more natural.

Brionne- Man, people are salty over this thing... and I really don't get why. Because it looks feminine? So what? So does Braixen & Delphox. When I played X, I just reset until I got a female Fennekin & went on my merry way. There is no problem with any Pokemon looking more masculine of feminine, starter or otherwise. These are fictional creatures, get over it. Real-life animals can look masculine/feminine & still be either gender. The only time a Pokemon's gender matters anyway is if your breeding it or your opponent's using Attract or something. Personally, with each Pokemon, I always just decide if I want a female or male & I go catch that gender of it. The End. This entire argument is ridiculous. If your all hung up on it for some reason, then just don't pick Popplio. You got 2 other choices. If you don't like any of them, then I don't know what to tell you besides pick 1 & immediately box it. We're sneaking up on 800 Pokemon, no one is going to like them all, but surely you can find 6 that please you. Anyway... back to MY thoughts. I think Brionne is adorable. She's probably my favorite of the mid-evos. She's a J-Pop Idol, mixed with a sea lion, mixed with a mermaid. I loved Popplio3's design because I thought it was really majestic & Brionne is just the perfect in-between for that.

Now the next question is will the starters have Midday/Midnight forms like Lycanroc? With the way this Gen has been going so far, I don't think we can predict anything with 100% certainty, but I think it's at least possible. If you look at Dartrix, his color pattern doesn't exactly line up with Rowlet's & Rowlet3's (which are a lot more similar to each other). Maybe the Rowlet3 we've seen is the Midnight Form & he'll get a Midday Form that continues Dartrix's colors. Torracat seems like a really logical progression to Litten3, but I could still see him getting an alternate quadrupedal Form (That would maybe satisfy all the people who don't like Litten3). On the other hand, I can't see Brionne turning into anything besides Popplio3. Maybe a clown-like thing? Of course maybe the Midday/Midnight split could happen at the mid stage level & the ones they just showed us are only 1 of each. If there is any kind of version exclusivity to any of this & there's a chance Rowlet could end up becoming something besides Owliver Queen based on which game it is, I really hope they tell us or it leaks (with solid proof) before I have to pick my starters. I'm getting both games, I just need to know. I gots to have me Owliver Queen.

Ash-Greninja- I've seen people mad that this guy is in the game too. Why would you be mad that something's in the game? It sounds like the only way to get it is through the demo anyway, so if you don't want it just don't transfer it over. And you shouldn't complain about other people using it against you, because if you hate it so much, you should enjoy bashing it's face in (Who hasn't wanted to bash Ash's face in some times?). I'm just glad we finally got an explanation for how this thing works. And the big question is will anyone else have this Battle Bond ability? Personally, I don't think so. This whole "bond phenomenon" thing makes the Pokemon take on the appearance of the trainer. With Trainer Customization being back, Any other Pokemon who get's this would need to have their new form change based on the trainer's current hairstyle, clothes, etc. I don't see a way they could do this without it being a jumbled mess. Ash-Greninja has the ONE appearance & the "Ash" in his name because they only have to coordinate him with one trainer, Ash. It's a whole different animal when trying to apply the same concept to a trainer that can look hundreds of different ways. The demo also seems to imply that the Poke Ball Greninja was in was left by Ash, so that explains why he copies his appearance instead of yours. And for the people saying "Ash doesn't exist in the games' continuity", we already had Steven reference Alain in the Delta Episode, so I don't see this as any different. I really think Ash-Greninja is just a concept made for the anime that they included in the games because he got so much attention/focus. Will he appear in future games/gens? Can you pass on Battle Bond though breeding? Will he be like Spiky-Eared Pichu or Cosplay Pikachu & probably never be seen again? Who knows. They might show a whole bunch of Pokemon who can pull off this "bond phenomenon" on the 14th & I could be completely wrong about all of it...

Festival Plaza- This seems interesting. It's basically the Wi-fi Plaza from Platinum/HG/SS, Join Avenue from B2/W2, & the PSS from the Gen VI games all mixed together. Those bouncy houses seem to be the replacement for Super Training. Honestly, I'd rather they just kept Super Training because it didn't require any form of currency.

Poke Pelago- This reminds me so much of the DigiFarm from Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. When I was playing that game, I remember thinking it would be cool if they did something like this for Pokemon, & now they are! It seems like a really handy way to grow berries, get evolution items, catch a few Pokemon & do some other useful stuff with Pokemon that are normally doing nothing anyway. One of the islands seems to be a way to increase your boxed Pokemon's EVs too, so maybe there's 2 replacements for Super Training (1 for your party 'mon & 1 for your stored 'mon).

Mega Evolution- Thank Arceus they finally addressed this. It was so awkward how they hadn't mentioned it at all. Some people are saying that because they didn't show any new Megas here, & that Megas are banned in the 2017 WCS means there aren't going to be any new Megas at all. This is possible, but I wouldn't rule them out just yet. If we don't get access to Mega Evolution 'til post-game, the ban just might be there to keep from it being "unfair" to people who didn't finish the main story. That rule could also just be to promote the use of Z-Moves instead. We know the Z-Ring can hold the Key Stone, but we don't know if it can hold the Key Stone AND a Z-Crystal at the same time. We might have to choose between using a Mega or using a Z-Move each battle. Personally, I think this would be really stupid because Z-Moves only help for that one turn, while a Mega would be helpful for the rest of the battle (or at least until it's knocked out). This would make their new mechanic really inferior to the old one, which would be really bad game design & something I think even Game Freak wouldn't do. However, I still think we don't have enough information to flat out say there won't be any new Megas, at least not yet. This could just be me holding out hope because I really want new Megas, but whatever. I understand wanting Mega Evolution to be less prominent after last Gen, but not adding to it at all just seems stupid to me, especially with how much of a game-changer it was & the amount of focus it got.

Whew, I'm tired of typing now...

Brionne has definitely grown on me over the past day, and, even though it does look a bit feminine, i still could rather easily see it being either gender. And I don't see why people have a problem with barionne looking like the way it does. If there are pokemon that that look more masculine that can be both genders, then there shouldn't be problem with there being pokemon that look more feminine that can be both genders.

I guess my personal argument is that I don't like either (masculine or feminine Pokemon). The more gender neutral and the less anthropomorphic, the better.

For me personally, I definitely do not like the thought of male Brionne or Gardevoir or anything like that. It doesn't make sense, particularly since I'm pretty sure that the Pokemon Company's intent isn't to subvert gender roles. They intend for these Pokemon to be viewed as feminine and females, in my opinion. It's just the gender ratio is skewed for starters due to tradition and breeding. For something like Gardevoir, it starts off fairly gender neutral and becomes quite feminine, which is why I think there's a 50-50 ratio.

I just think they can't really be bothered with ratios and just want to make designs based on certain concepts without thinking too much about it, and that's what bothers me more. They aren't doing this on purpose, they're just being neglectful and not thinking things through. There are a lot of things I wish they'd fix to make more sense, but I know the never will.

But since it just isn't my thing to have male Brionnes and Gardevoirs running around, I solve this problem in a very simple manner: I don't have any Pokemon of that gender with me. Yes, I'm the type who is crazy enough to restart over and over again for a female starter. I've done it a lot even without this gender role baggage. Honestly, I can just appreciate a good design and play the game the way I want to avoid being bothered. Because as it's a game, I have a choice as to whether or not I can have males or females onto my team. If others want males of that Pokemon, fine. It'll bug me, but that's the way they play the game. Just like this is the way I play the game.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that sometimes, things I don't like exist and they happen. I try to accept that I can't change the fact that they exist, but I can make a choice to avoid their existence. I understand still being bothered by the fact that this is a thing and complaining about it, but to hate a design just because it can be of a gender you don't approve of is silly. I'm still bothered by these genders and I wish they didn't exist, but they do. And all I can do is appreciate the design I was given, and then obtain said Pokemon in the gender I prefer.

Also, I'd like to point out another reason people dislike feminine designs is the whole "furry bait" argument. If it looks like it'll appeal to furries, people will criticize the hell out of it. I don't think they should focus so much on others' reactions to something and judge it that way, just because they don't approve of their actions. (I know I judged Dartrix earlier for the meme reactions that people will have to it, but I also just... don't really like it in general. The meme thing is just something that would make it more annoying, but not be the reason for my dislike)

Last edited:
Why is it usually the Water type starters that get the grief in recent generations? Even after Samurott and Greninja's designs? I can confidently say at this point that Brionne is my favourite middle stage starter and can hardly wait for its final stage.

Seriously, that's now two of my Water starter picks that many criticise for their designs. In a row. Popplio's joining Oshawott.

Samurott was fine by me and regular Greninja is good. Right now, we have one/two bit of news to come. Corocoro and the news on the 14th might not be the same.

I'm conflicted. I wanted to start with Popplio and I do like Brionne, but I like Ash-Greninja even more and I'm tempted to use it too. But two water-types would be really redundant. Maybe I will use Popplio during the main game and Ash-Greninja for whatever battle facility there is (I'm assuming there is one because the official site shows you can buy Mega Stones with BP).

Why is it usually the Water type starters that get the grief in recent generations? Even after Samurott and Greninja's designs? I can confidently say at this point that Brionne is my favourite middle stage starter and can hardly wait for its final stage.

Seriously, that's now two of my Water starter picks that many criticise for their designs. In a row. Popplio's joining Oshawott.
From what I can remember, Froakie was the least favorite out of the Kalos starters first revealed, but then Greninja got voted the number 1 most popular pokemon ever where even the anime showed favoritism. Popplio might be Froakie v.2 should the final evolved form become amazing.

From what I can remember, Froakie was the least favorite out of the Kalos starters first revealed, but then Greninja got voted the number 1 most popular pokemon ever where even the anime showed favoritism. Popplio might be Froakie v.2 should the final evolved form become amazing.
Seriously? I was so certain that Chespin was the one getting that initial dislike. That would have made it three times in a row since I ended up choosing Chespin.

Chespin was by far my favorite Gen 6 starter. I love the whole line to death <3 :D

This makes two generations in a row now, with Chespin and Rowlet, that the Grass starters are my clear favorites (used to be mostly Water, gens 1-3). Though Litten is nice too. Brionne is pretty and all, and I don't hate it at all, just not the biggest fan. Might still use one in the opposite version though. But I'll probably reset for female.

Finally have the time to write down my thoughts about everything:
  • The starter evos: None of them really do it for me. Dartrix looks like it has hair, Torracat just looks weird with its front paws being so much larger than its hind paws and Brionne's wearing a dress and I do hate clothing on Pokémon. Starter's going to be the first one to have fun on Poké Pelago ;)
  • Ash-Greninja: :/ :/ :/ :/ :/
  • Festival Plaza: I'm quite excited for this one, there seems to be a lot to do there. Bouncy Houses seem to replace Super Training and I'm quite glad with that, I really sucked at the ST mini game and happy we're not just getting it copy/pasted again.
  • Poké Pelago: Also seems like a lot of fun and very useful, since we seem to be able to grow berries there and find evolution stones. Finding random Pokés which can join your team seems like fun too.
  • The demo: Thank Arceus it's just going to be in the eShop, but god do I hate that we have to use Ash-Greninja :/ It seems to be the only Pokémon you carry too. It's not only that I dislike Ash-Greninja, but why the hell are we having a demo in a new region with a starter that doesn't belong there?
  • New Global Link stuff: No Megas allowed in VGC? Being able to make 6 battle boxes now? Rental teams? Global Mission? Loving it all.

Finally have the time to write down my thoughts about everything:
  • The starter evos: None of them really do it for me. Dartrix looks like it has hair, Torracat just looks weird with its front paws being so much larger than its hind paws and Brionne's wearing a dress and I do hate clothing on Pokémon. Starter's going to be the first one to have fun on Poké Pelago ;)
  • Ash-Greninja: :/ :/ :/ :/ :/
  • Festival Plaza: I'm quite excited for this one, there seems to be a lot to do there. Bouncy Houses seem to replace Super Training and I'm quite glad with that, I really sucked at the ST mini game and happy we're not just getting it copy/pasted again.
  • Poké Pelago: Also seems like a lot of fun and very useful, since we seem to be able to grow berries there and find evolution stones. Finding random Pokés which can join your team seems like fun too.
  • The demo: Thank Arceus it's just going to be in the eShop, but god do I hate that we have to use Ash-Greninja :/ It seems to be the only Pokémon you carry too. It's not only that I dislike Ash-Greninja, but why the hell are we having a demo in a new region with a starter that doesn't belong there?
  • New Global Link stuff: No Megas allowed in VGC? Being able to make 6 battle boxes now? Rental teams? Global Mission? Loving it all.

I want my Erika-Weepinbell :(

Though I like Poke Pelago. I'll miss my Pokemon rotting away in the box.

Brionne is my favourite mid-starter. I like them all but Brionne's design just takes it home. I hope they keep expanding upon the feminine theme in the final form/s.

I wonder what this means for the theory on version/day/night exclusive final forms, though?

Some of the most femme Pokemon are my favourites tbh. Gardevoir, Jynx, Milotic...all faves.

It's not only that I dislike Ash-Greninja, but why the hell are we having a demo in a new region with a starter that doesn't belong there?
It's a far-off theory (and one I've posted before), but my food for thought was that maybe the anime's episodes that have Ash saying goodbye to his Greninja (from the title, anyway) are what set up the events of this demo. Call me crazy if you wish, I'm already doing that myself - but it's one that I'd find hilarious if it actually occurred in that fashion.

It's a far-off theory (and one I've posted before), but my food for thought was that maybe the anime's episodes that have Ash saying goodbye to his Greninja (from the title, anyway) are what set up the events of this demo. Call me crazy if you wish, I'm already doing that myself - but it's one that I'd find hilarious if it actually occurred in that fashion.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case at all, but that would be even more ridiculous. I would've preferred it to be an event and then it would be fine if it was linked to events in the anime. But this is a demo for people that play the games, and demo's mostly exist so people can find out if they want to buy a certain game or not. Pokémon Sun/Moon isn't about Ash-Greninja in any way, so it has no place in the demo either, especially not as the only mon you can use (as seems to be the case so far). A lot of people (like me) don't even watch the anime and wouldn't have a clue what's going on.

I hope they only showed you carrying one Pokémon for the trailer and that we do get all three of the starters too, just like in the XY and ORAS demo. If that isn't the case, then I hope we can at least catch some wild mons in the demo and use those instead.

Another thing that bothers me is that both trailers show the male trainer in the demo, making me afraid that we can again only play as the male :/

Pokémon Sun/Moon isn't about Ash-Greninja in any way, so it has no place in the demo either, especially not as the only mon you can use (as seems to be the case so far). A lot of people (like me) don't even watch the anime and wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
Makes sense, lol. I guess in that case Zygarde is more excusable than Ash-Greninja's case since its themes are clearly only found in the main game.
I hope they only showed you carrying one Pokémon for the trailer and that we do get all three of the starters too, just like in the XY and ORAS demo. If that isn't the case, then I hope we can at least catch some wild mons in the demo and use those instead.
Here's hoping for sure. I didn't even know XY had a demo... or was that just the E3 demo that you're talking about?
Another thing that bothers me is that both trailers show the male trainer in the demo, making me afraid that we can again only play as the male :/
I don't mind this point as much, though it does kinda bite. I guess their intention is that it's a temporary save sort of thing like the others were, with a placeholder name too (Orlando in Oras, for example).

Back
Top Bottom