• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a sure reboot, since XY Ash doesn't act like this and doesn't make these faces. They are just insulting a league finalist by making him the victim of this slapstick. The animation looks fine to me but the thing that bother me is the sudden change to slapstick. I don't think this type of comedy will fit right in this show after 20 years of run. It was good in Indigo but then things were different. SM will receive negative reviews because of the high bar set by XY&Z
What make you said that? are you the producer who decided how's it go? the series has'nt even begin yet, we don't even know what the hell is going on in that trailer since there is no indication yet beside saying it's gonna be humorous. And FYI, XY&Z is not that good, and so far as i can see, xy series has the worst main heroine character development, even iris is much better than serena in character development. told ya. Serena is cute. that's the point. it just that. nothing special, she's just like character of the day that just happen to be ash companion.

So according to the bio on the official site, Lillie loves Pokemon but is unable to touch them for some reason.

Here's the full update, translated by Dephender from Serebii.
Characters:

chara01.png

Satoshi & Pikachu
Satoshi: A 10 year old young boy that aims to become a Pokémon Master.
He's experiencing school life for the first time in the Alola Region!

Pikachu: Satoshi's first partner Pokémon and his greatest companion.

chara02.png

The Rotom Zukan
Leave everything Pokémon knowledge-related to it.
This is a groundbreaking Pokémon Zukan which finishing touch was having a Rotom enter it.
It speaks human language and assists Satoshi on his adventure.

chara05.png

Lillie
A girl that loves Pokémon, but is unable to touch them for some reason.
Her knowledge of Pokémon is top notch.

chara08.png

Kaki
He likes Fire type Pokémon.
His family runs a farm, so he helps out there while also attending school.

chara04.png

Mao
She likes Grass type Pokémon.
She's an active girl who's also a bit of a scatterbrain.
She helps out at the Aina Cafeteria her family runs by attracting customers to come in and eat.

chara06.png

Suiren
She likes Water type Pokémon.
While she's usually quiet, she's actually a girl of action.
She's the oldest of the three daughters of a fisherman.

chara07.png

Māmane
She likes Electric type Pokémon.
A science nerd with a vast knowledge of technology.
When he gets into something, he analyzes the subject very thoroughly.

chara09.png

Professor Kukui
A professor that studies Pokémon battling and moves. He is also the class' homeroom teacher.
Satoshi lives at his house during his stay.

chara10.png

Principal Okido
The school's principal. The cousin of Professor Okido from the earlier series.
He researches Pokémon that evolve in unique ways in Alola.

chara03.png

The Rocket Gang
Musashi, Kojiro, Nyarth and Sonansu
An evil organization which goal is to get rare Pokémon, strong Pokémon, as well as Satoshi's Pikachu.

-----

Staff:
Executive director: Kunihiko Yuyama
Director: Daiki Tomiyasu
Series Construction: Aya Matsui
Character Design: Satoshi Nakano and Shuhei Yasuda
Art Director: Masatoshi Muto
Color Keys: Noriyuki Yoshino
Director of Photography: Yuko Orikasa
Editor: Jin Nogawa
Music: Shinji Miyazaki
Sound Recording Director: Masafumi Mima

From what we've seen in the previews so far, Lillie's inability to touch Pokemon is played for laughs rather than it being a serious affliction (granted, we haven't seen much of anything in those previews that could be considered serious). My guess is that it's something trauma related (maybe she bathed with her Tentacool). We've had characters afraid of Pokemon outright in the past, but never one who couldn't touch them - makes you wonder how involved she'd be in any capturing and battling.

Apart from that, Lana being a "girl of action" despite her supposed timidness sounds encouraging for her character. That it's even mentioned is another indicator there's going to be action in this series. On top of that, we have Ash crashing with a professor who's apparently a battle expert - maybe there's a potential mentor thing there. Maybe Ash learns how to do the Z-Moves from him?

I'm not too familiar with the staff working on the show. Any significant changes from XY?

I'm not too familiar with the staff working on the show. Any significant changes from XY?
The most notable change is that they replaced Atsuhiro Tomioka with Matsui Aya as the person in charge of series construction.

The most notable change is that they replaced Atsuhiro Tomioka with Matsui Aya as the person in charge of series construction.

Tomioka has been very busy writing for Dragon Ball Super and One Piece lately, but this change in staff would have been done probably nearly a year before broadcast. My guess is he probably accomplished most of what he set out to do these past twenty years and is simply moving on elsewhere.

Tomioka has been very busy writing for Dragon Ball Super and One Piece lately, but this change in staff would have been done probably nearly a year before broadcast. My guess is he probably accomplished most of what he set out to do these past twenty years and is simply moving on elsewhere.
Tomioka probably realized that the status quo in Pokemon anime will never end so he moved on. Makes sense. xD

This is a sure reboot, since XY Ash doesn't act like this and doesn't make these faces. They are just insulting a league finalist by making him the victim of this slapstick. The animation looks fine to me but the thing that bother me is the sudden change to slapstick. I don't think this type of comedy will fit right in this show after 20 years of run. It was good in Indigo but then things were different. SM will receive negative reviews because of the high bar set by XY&Z

Ash has been used for comedy relief plenty of times in the past, including XY, so this isn't particularly new. Perhaps a bit more apparent due to the comical tone we've seen in the previews, but this isn't a new treatment for Ash in regards to using him for slapstick comedy. Honestly, I already find XY overly praised, so I don't really see it as raising the bar so high. The series hasn't even started yet, so it isn't quite fair to claim something like that anyway. You may not like what you see here and that's perfectly fine, but you can't really say that it will receive negative reviews because of how people liked XY.

Tomioka probably realized that the status quo in Pokemon anime will never end so he moved on. Makes sense. xD

I'd be surprised if it took him that long to realize that.

I am glad that we got confirmation on who the rest of the main cast will be. I've been wondering about that for awhile. It is a rather large group with five characters counting Ash, so I am still a bit worried on how they can handle managing the screentime for the cast. At least we still have two female characters in the main cast. That's pretty awesome. The bio information give a nice indication of their personalities too. Lillie will probably be a supporting character, but I wonder if they'll handle her whole not touching Pokemon thing as a more serious issue.

I hope that people won't get worried about Ash staying at Professor Kukui's house and thinking that he'll be at school for the whole series because of that. He'll have to travel around at some point and can't just go back home after completing a trial.

It wouldn't have taken him that long. As series kousei he would be in regular meetings with Yuyama and the series director to establish the tone and story, so he would certainly be aware of their ideas and ideology before hand.

I'm really hoping Team Rocket is just in a weird pose in that artwork....they look so weird. I'm also bummed Delia didn't get a character bio and artwork, I was hoping she'd be at least semi-recurring. Has she ever gotten official artwork?

(tbh everyone looks a little off in the artwork compared to what we've seen animated so far so I'm not too worried, I just wish we'd see more previews with TR in them)

Right now, SM anime looks like it would the worst of the show in my opinion. Even more worse than Kanto, Unova and potentially Kalos if Greninja is released. Nothing from the trailers have got me hyped for the series.

Right now, SM anime looks like it would the worst of the show in my opinion. Even more worse than Kanto, Unova and potentially Kalos if Greninja is released. Nothing from the trailers have got me hyped for the series.
Here's a question: so what?

You have been going to every single thread here and reiterating that same thought over and over again. How are any of your posts contributing to the discussion? If you have nothing NEW to say, then perhaps better stop posting altogether than complaining over and over and over again.

Most people posting here have their doubts, but are willing to give the show the chance and yet all I see from you is negativity. This sucks, that sucks, this looks so bad...why keep posting in threads dedicated to a show that you CLEARLY have zero interest in? What is the point?

Here's a question: so what?

You have been going to every single thread here and reiterating that same thought over and over again. How are any of your posts contributing to the discussion? If you have nothing NEW to say, then perhaps better stop posting altogether than complaining over and over and over again.

Most people posting here have their doubts, but are willing to give the show the chance and yet all I see from you is negativity. This sucks, that sucks, this looks so bad...why keep posting in threads dedicated to a show that you CLEARLY have zero interest in? What is the point?
No I haven't. Don't assume to know what I do on the forums or who I am. If you are going to reply to me in a negative way then don't reply at all. I am allowed to post my opinion. All I was saying that SM series had not shown anything yet to make me like it.

All I was saying that SM series had not shown anything yet to make me like it.
Which begs the question: why are you posting in threads about a show you are not interested in?

Sun and Moon doesn't appeal to you? That's fine. You dislike something they are doing? Also fine. But finding the entire series so far unappealing and expressing intense disinterest and yet ceaselessly posting in the threads is just something I don't get.

Which begs the question: why are you contributing in discussions about a show you are not interested in?
I don't need to answer that question or justify myself to you or to anyone. If I feel that something doesn't appeal to me and want to post about it then that is my business.

I don't need to answer that question or justify myself to you or to anyone. If I feel that something doesn't appeal to me and want to post about it then that is my business.
It is not your business if starts affecting other people, keep that in mind.

But let's end the discussion here, no reason to go further off-topic.

It seems like we'll have the largest main cast yet in this series.
Judging by the order of the characters, Lillie would seem to qualify as the most important one (ignoring the Rotom Dex :p) as she appears before the rest of the cast.

So much news, so little time. Alright, nice to finally learn a bit about the characters.

Lillie-Seems interesting. The "not being able to touch Pokemon" bit seems interesting. Definitely eager to see her.
Kaiwe-So he also runs a farm. I wonder if we'll see Ash and co visiting it.
Mallow-Scatterbrained and works at a restaurant. Well that's an interesting combo.
Lana-This surprised me. I didn't expect her to be an action oriented person. Really interested in seeing more of her now.
Sophecles-Unfortunately, right now he's just looking like a Clemont clone. And while I loved Clemont, I'd rather not have another character who's just his "Alola Form". Heck, they even both own the Pika-clone. But I guess we'll see how they differ when the show airs.
Professor Kukui-So Ash will be living with Kukui while he's in school. I didn't expect that, but I guess it'll be something different at least.
Principal Oak-Nothing really interesting other than being the principal.
Rotom Pokedex-Glad Ash is getting it. I hope it has a funny personality like Dexter did early on in OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom