• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Over the day, I have looked back on our new mons. After reading what it says on the official webside on Kommo-o, I still probably won't use it, but I like it a lot more. That's so cool, how it goes back to where it was born to watch over the Jangmo-o.

I have also looked a bit more into Tsareena, and while it still really isn't my thing, I did notice something about it. Tsareena reminds me of Nicki Minaj. They look similar. Not as closer as Trump and Gunshoos, put there are similarities with the eyelashes, and the eyes, and the big butt. Needless to say, I will be calling my Tsareena Minaj or Anaconda now.

My question Alola region is their going more grass types then water this time like if their reason for Morawk being fire type that must mean grass Pokémon are more population in this region since Morawk is microevoulruon of fire then being Eletric/Gohst

If this Morawk was eletric/Ghost Pokémon will stand against water Pokémon then being fire is that correct I could explain more

Morawk is weak against Water/Grass/Ice but if their was more water then grass it will microevouktuon as Eletric then being fire

Water-Types are going to be less of a threat to Marowak though since most water types live in and around water, which Marowak doesn't. Thus, even if Alola had like double the Water Types it did Grass, adapting into a Fire type is still more advantageous.

EDIT: Don't know if anyone's pointed it out but Tsareena is based off the uncommon name for purple mangosteens (what Bounsweet is): the 'Queen of Fruits'.

I am just gonna scream if the Bounsweet line, especially Tsareena, turns out to be male as well. I mean, even its Ability Queenly Majesty refers to its feminine nature.
It would be cool if they made a female and male version for the final stage. :)

It might be all female. I won't complain in the slightest if they could be male, too.

Speaking of Steenee and Tsareena, I love them and considering them for my team. They look amazing!

Tsareena comes from the word Tsar/Czar which is a Slavic equivalent of Emperor in countries like Bulgaria, Russia, Serbia, etc.

It originates from the Latin word "Caesar" which is a synonym for "Emperor".

Also, in Spanish, Tsar is Zar, and the female is Zarina, which is very similar to Tsareena.

So I think it will be a female only line.

Last edited:
Tsareena comes from the word Tsar/Czar which is a Slavic equivalent of Emperor in countries like Bulgaria, Russia, Serbia, etc.

It originates from the Latin word "Caesar" which is a synonym for "Emperor".

Also, in Spanish, Tsar is Zar, and the female is Zarina, which is very similar to Tsareena.

So I think it should be a female only line.

There are female Mr. Mime and male Gardevoir and male Aromatisse, despite the last one being strongly based on female Can-can (and Flamenco, apparently, according to Bulbapedia) dancers. You can have your own opinion and preference, of course, but I don't think a 50:50 ratio is anywhere near being out of the question here in terms of objective likelihood. (Plus, we do have Brionne, which as a starter is likely to have a higher chance of being male, but I don't think we know the ratio for sure yet. Personally, I'd like starters to become 50:50 or at least a bit more even.)

There are female Mr. Mime and male Gardevoir and male Aromatisse, despite the last one being strongly based on female Can-can (and Flamenco, apparently, according to Bulbapedia) dancers. You can have your own opinion and preference, of course, but I don't think a 50:50 ratio is anywhere near being out of the question here in terms of objective likelihood. (Plus, we do have Brionne, which as a starter is likely to have a higher chance of being male, but I don't think we know the ratio for sure yet. Personally, I'd like starters to become 50:50 or at least a bit more even.)
The Pokemon's name is literally "female Tsar" in Spanish, and the ability is Queenly Majesty, and you think it's ok for it to be male...

Ok...

I mean, Mr. Mime being female as well is a strong point, I agree, but I think it has more to do with Game Freak's negligence for such things in the earlier generations (Gen I).

But whatever, I don't care about Tsareena as a Pokemon anyway, so I don't mind its gender ratio at all. I was just trying to give some insight regarding its name, since I have knowledge regarding its origin.

Last edited:

Well, Mr. Mime is famously a collision of factors. The first being that there were no genders in Gen I, so it's not something they were anticipating while creating Mr. Mime, and the second being that its Japanese name is the gender-neutral Barrierd.

Nevertheless, seeing as we have male ladybugs and female daddy longlegs irl, I think the fact that it's just Mr. Mime's name that is gendered isn't much of an issue. There's nothing about the Pokémon itself that would push it closer toward either gender.

Whereas with Gardevoir and Aromatisse I would argue that their femininity, especially with Aromatisse, is incidental. In Gardevoir's case, at least until Gallade and then later Mega Gardevoir (I often say that I love how we can have male Mega Gardevoir in their ball gowns, because I seriously love the prospect of burning down idiotic societal norms, but I admit that I don't think it's intentional on GF's part - but why they never bothered to retcon Gardevoir's gender, I have no idea), it looks somewhat feminine, but it also looks ambiguous enough to pass as a weird sort of floaty alien. Maybe like an angel? I'm not really sure what Gardevoir's actually based on. Anyway, Gardevoir also pre-dates Gen IV's introduction of gender differences so they may have just shrugged it off as something they weren't able to fully illustrate at that time.

And then in Aromatisse's case, just because they used a female dance style as a design influence doesn't necessarily mean it carried over in full; they may have just wanted the aesthetic. Besides in my opinion at least, I don't think it looks particularly masculine or feminine.

Basically, my point is that the feminine aspects of Gardevoir and Aromatisse are mostly just aesthetic, and aren't ingrained into their names and Abilities like with Tsareena (who, for the record, I do expect to be female-only).

Also, I know is misused the term "gender" all throughout this post, but that's what it's called in the games and I think everybody will know what I meant.

Last edited:
Anyway, Gardevoir also pre-dates Gen VI's introduction of gender differences so they may have just shrugged it off as something they weren't able to fully illustrate at that time.
Technically, Gen IV was the first to introduce gender differences (albeit, they're minor differences).

Well, Mr. Mime is famously a collision of factors. The first being that there were no genders in Gen I, so it's not something they were anticipating while creating Mr. Mime, and the second being that its Japanese name is the gender-neutral Barrierd.

Nevertheless, seeing as we have male ladybugs and female daddy longlegs irl, I think the fact that it's just Mr. Mime's name that is gendered isn't much of an issue. There's nothing about the Pokémon itself that would push it closer toward either gender.

Whereas with Gardevoir and Aromatisse I would argue that their femininity, especially with Aromatisse, is incidental. In Gardevoir's case, at least until Gallade and then later Mega Gardevoir (I often say that I love how we can have male Mega Gardevoir in their ball gowns, because I seriously love the prospect of burning down idiotic societal norms, but I admit that I don't think it's intentional on GF's part - but why they never bothered to retcon Gardevoir's gender, I have no idea), it looks somewhat feminine, but it also looks ambiguous enough to pass as a weird sort of floaty alien. Maybe like an angel? I'm not really sure what Gardevoir's actually based on. Anyway, Gardevoir also pre-dates Gen VI's introduction of gender differences so they may have just shrugged it off as something they weren't able to fully illustrate at that time.

And then in Aromatisse's case, just because they used a female dance style as a design influence doesn't necessarily mean it carried over in full; they may have just wanted the aesthetic. Besides in my opinion at least, I don't think it looks particularly masculine or feminine.

Basically, my point is that the feminine aspects of Gardevoir and Aromatisse are mostly just aesthetic, and aren't ingrained into their names and Abilities like with Tsareena (who, for the record, I do expect to be female-only).

Also, I know is misused the term "gender" all throughout this post, but that's what it's called in the games and I think everybody will know what I meant.
I could see Bounsweet and Steenee being male, but then pulling a vespiquen and only allowing the female Steenee to evolve. While designs for Pokémon don't have to match the gender (like the ones you've mentioned), the description of the Pokémon and even its ability are all about its queenly nature, which is inherently female. Which is pretty much what you said in your last paragraph. So I think it's either a female-only line or a Vespiquen-like situation.

Technically, Gen IV was the first to introduce gender differences (albeit, they're minor differences).

Right, sorry, that's what I meant. Just a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. :D

Let's not forget about Kingdra or Slowbro or Slaking. I think the Bounsweet line being all female is higly possible, but having a female-only title in its name doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

Don't forget that Gothitelle has a 25% chance of being male

However, I'm of the mind that the Bounsweet line will be like Lilligant and Florges's lines. Female only, which is a shame.

Let's not forget about Kingdra or Slowbro or Slaking. I think the Bounsweet line being all female is higly possible, but having a female-only title in its name doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

Yeah, but I also don't think any of them extend that past their name, whereas Tsareena has the Queenly Majesty Ability.

Counterpoint to myself: Not all Tsareena have Queenly Majesty

*shrug*

I could see Bounsweet and Steenee being male, but then pulling a vespiquen and only allowing the female Steenee to evolve. While designs for Pokémon don't have to match the gender (like the ones you've mentioned), the description of the Pokémon and even its ability are all about its queenly nature, which is inherently female. Which is pretty much what you said in your last paragraph. So I think it's either a female-only line or a Vespiquen-like situation.

If it's a vespiquen situation wouldn't it make sense if it stopped at bounsweet and the female was the only one to evolve past it? Like smaller male, bigger female type of dysmorphisim.

Yeah, but I also don't think any of them extend that past their name, whereas Tsareena has the Queenly Majesty Ability.

Counterpoint to myself: Not all Tsareena have Queenly Majesty

*shrug*

Lmao :p

Well personally I do think they'll be female only but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case. GF has been really inconsistent when it comes to genders. Like, I'm still wondering why the Aegislash line isn't genderless.

I am just gonna scream if the Bounsweet line, especially Tsareena, turns out to be male as well. I mean, even its Ability Queenly Majesty refers to its feminine nature.

Men can be Queens too :<

Furthermore, names are still poor indicators of gender.

Slowking (Japanese: Yadoking) can be female. Gothitelle (Japanese: Gothiruselle) appears to have either 'mademoiselle' or the feminine suffix - elle, and can be male. In the meanwhile, Lilligant (Japanese: Dredear) which has less gendered names (elegant and dear, which a man can be) is always female.

Tbh I can see it go either way. GameFreak is capricious af.

Back
Top Bottom