• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mythical Pokémon (datamine spoilers)

Reaction score
There's been some discussion about this topic in the main spoiler thread, but I think it warrants its own thread. The key question is: What does the fact that there are "only" two new mythicals mean?

Magearna's QR code is already available in Japan, so that only leaves Marshadow to be used for next year's movie. What will happen in 2018? Some people suspect that Generation VIII will already be promoted by then in time for a fall release, but I can think of three alternative scenarios:

1. At least one of the Ultra Beasts is event-exclusive, in which case it may be used either in 2017 or 2018. We still don't know if any of the Ultra Beasts will be catchable, but it possible that only some will, leaving at least the last one of the batch:

847.png

I have to say that it happens to be one of the less disturbing beasts, so the possibility of having it star in a movie exists.

2. Sun and Moon will be updated with some new data upon the release of the next games. While Game Freak chose to avoid DLC in the last generation, there is another kid-friendly RPG series that has made use of free DLC more than once by now: Yokai Watch. Specifically, the main two versions of Yokai Watch 2 were updated when the third version was released so as to add new Yokai monsters, and now the same thing will be done for Yokai Watch 3. If it works for that series without technical problems, why wouldn't it work for Pokemon?

You could argue that it would be weird for Game Freak to include Marshadow to begin with, while excluding another mythical or two. The explanation for that is simple: Marshadow will almost definitely be downloadable before any new game release, and it isn't a good idea to abuse patches. If new content is ever added to Sun and Moon, it should happen once for the sake of compatibility with new games.

3. The 2018 movie (and possibly the 2019 one) will feature an old mythical Pokemon with a new variant (Forme or Mega Evolution). This possibility is pretty self-explanatory and I don't see why it couldn't work. There already are a whopping 17 mythicals - slowing down on their introduction may be a good idea at this point.

Discuss these possibilities. Which one seems the most likely?

Last edited:
I don't think Game Freak would DLC and I wouldn't like that myself. I think it is confirmed that no new mega evolutions are in SM and probably the same for forms too. I don't think an Ultra Beast would be an event. I do think Marshadow is a wifi/serial code/QR code event.

Honestly, I could see all of these scenarios being the case, but the one I lean towards the most is an old mythical Pokémon returning with a new form. If Mewtwo (though not technically mythical) could do it with Mega Mewtwo Y, why not Celebi/Jirachi/etc.?

Honestly, I could see all of these scenarios being the case, but the one I lean towards the most is an old mythical Pokémon returning with a new form. If Mewtwo (though not technically mythical) could do it with Mega Mewtwo Y, why not Celebi/Jirachi/etc.?
Agreed, although I really dislike both Mega Mewtwo and hope that Game Freak handle Mew/Celebi more carefully.

The three possibilites aren't mutually exclusive, seeing as the generation will presumably have three movies. I'm just more interested in 2018 than 2019 since the latter could simply give us a QR code for the next generation games.

Put me in the camp that assumes G8 will be for fall 2018. The NX is very close and there's some evidence a lot of preliminary work for Sun and Moon was actually developed alongside XY.

Ultra-Beasts seem like a season-long serial plot ala Zygarde Core, if/when the anime addresses them.

There's also the possibility that the same thing that happened with Volcanion and Magearna will happen again - that the "mythical" Ultra-Beast will star alongside the first G8 Mythical in the 2018 movie, which would still mean we'll get G8 in late 2018.

Put me in the camp that assumes G8 will be for fall 2018. The NX is very close and there's some evidence a lot of preliminary work for Sun and Moon was actually developed alongside XY.
Conceptual work in 2013, maybe. Ohmori said in an interview that the development started in late 2014.

The NX being released a few months after the start of Generation VII is really no different than the 3DS being released early on in Generation V (practically alongside the stateside release). This time I would say that Game Freak put more effort into the new engine than they did in Generation V. Why wouldn't they want to use that engine one more time?

Even if they felt pressured to utilize the NX in 2018, it would still be wiser to wrap up Generation VII with cross-generational 3DS/NX games. Since the models are scalable, a game using Sun and Moon's engine could look quite good on the NX with improved resolution and framerate (and some extra feature). A new generation, on the other hand? That would be NX-exclusive and require more work. At this point in time, Game Freak have no way of knowing what the NX's install base will be in 2018, so I don't see why they would be in any rush to work on Generation VIII immediately after Sun and Moon.

Last edited:
If we get a transitory NX/3DS game I think we'll get Diamond and Pearl remakes with a buttload of new Mega Evolutions. I'm still unsure there's enough Mythical promotional content for the franchise to stretch another 3 years.

You could argue that it would be weird for Game Freak to include Marshadow to begin with, while excluding another mythical or two. The explanation for that is simple: Marshadow will almost definitely be downloadable before any new game release, and it isn't a good idea to abuse patches. If new content is ever added to Sun and Moon, it should happen once for the sake of compatibility with new games.
I'd also just argue that Game Freak probably doesn't have the foresight to plan that far ahead. Games like Mario Kart and Fire Emblem's DLC all look like they were planned from the beginning.

I'm unsure of what I believe. Though I believe Gen VIII in 2018 seems fairly likely. I could see Gen VII coming in Fall 2018 and then Gen IV DP remakes in 2019.

As for 2017? Unfortunately, I could see us getting another break year. Or, alternatively, we could get a third version of SM, or a Kanto revisit. Both would be relatively quick and easy to make, comparatively. Though a break year is fine by me if the next games after that are amazing.

I'm unsure of what I believe. Though I believe Gen VIII in 2018 seems fairly likely. I could see Gen VII coming in Fall 2018 and then Gen IV DP remakes in 2019.

As for 2017? Unfortunately, I could see us getting another break year. Or, alternatively, we could get a third version of SM, or a Kanto revisit. Both would be relatively quick and easy to make, comparatively. Though a break year is fine by me if the next games after that are amazing.
Kanto?? You think we're going back to Kanto again? I don't think even Game Freak loves gen 1 that much. I'd expect Sinnoh if anything.

This isn't a remake thread.

The Outrage said:
I'd also just argue that Game Freak probably doesn't have the foresight to plan that far ahead. Games like Mario Kart and Fire Emblem's DLC all look like they were planned from the beginning.
But it doesn't require much foresight to say "we'll keep this mythical and a bunch of forms for the next games".

To be honest, the lack of a third mythical does make me think that this is going to be another short generation. Give Marshadow a movie, give Ultra Beasts or even new Forms of old Pokémon a movie (if we're getting games after SuMo in Gen VII it's a good chance it's Diamond and Pearl remakes so we might get new Megas or even something like Hoopa-Unbound, so we might get UBs as the first movie and then Marshadow), and if we get a year break between Gens VII and VII like we do nearly every Gen (Gens IV and V did have breaks, but they were in between the first and second games in the generations), the final SuMo movie could just be like the Zoruark movie: no mythicals, only new Pokémon.

Well the Switch was announced today and now Nintendo's handhelds and home consoles are the same thing. Definitely think GameFreak is going to jump on this like crazy.

I don't believe it counts as a proper handheld. We will still be getting 3DS successor at some point I think. But we will see. Switch looks awesome.

I don't believe it counts as a proper handheld. We will still be getting 3DS successor at some point I think. But we will see. Switch looks awesome.

At this point I will be incredibly surprised if we get a third ds. Switch uses gamecards, is portable, and the tv hookup looks largely optional. I think this is all we're getting.

I think I'm leaning toward #2, although I don't know how confident I am in the idea of GF deciding to pursue DLC. I feel like we could have one more 3DS release in the tank; as you said, they put work into the Gen VII engine and it feels like a bit of a waste to only utilize it one time.

Then again, do you think it's possible that they may port SM to the Switch in order to get something out there for 2017? As a technical question - would that still be using the same (or mostly the same) engine as SM, or would they have to rework it from the ground-up?

Either way, if that could work, then I could see them using that as a transition - SM opens this year, we get Magearna, Switch releases next March, SM port comes in autumn, and then they distribute Marshadow. And I think that could buy them time to get their Switch groove on for Gen VIII in 2018.

I would love Sinnoh, I just don't think it'll happen until Gen VIII
Sinnoh would happen before we ever get another visit to Kanto in my opinion. As for mythicals, I think they won't include Ultra Beasts as one of them in my opinion. Ultra Beasts don't seem like an event type.

Well the Switch was announced today and now Nintendo's handhelds and home consoles are the same thing. Definitely think GameFreak is going to jump on this like crazy.
You mean the same guys who have shied away from home console games? Seriously? They'll have to accommodate the Switch eventually, but there is no obvious reason for them to work faster on the transition than they did with the 3DS (it took 2.5 years).

The Switch is almost definitely going to be the most expensive Nintendo portable system to date. That means that it will take a while before parents want to buy it for their kids. This explains Nintendo saying that they will support the 3DS until 2018.

Esserise said:
Then again, do you think it's possible that they may port SM to the Switch in order to get something out there for 2017? As a technical question - would that still be using the same (or mostly the same) engine as SM, or would they have to rework it from the ground-up?
I don't think they would have to change the engine too much, but the idea of ports is hardly appealing. Pokemon games are not about shiny graphics, so I'm quite sure that 3DS games using a different setting would be more successful than any Switch ports. And if Game Freak really did want to accommodate the Switch sooner than later, a simulatenous release of 3DS/Switch versions of the same game would work best.

Aromatic Mist said:
To be honest, the lack of a third mythical does make me think that this is going to be another short generation.
If by another "short" generation you mean one lasting 3 years, then I doubt anyone is expecting more than that.

I don't think they would have to change the engine too much, but the idea of ports is hardly appealing. Pokemon games are not about shiny graphics, so I'm quite sure that 3DS games using a different setting would be more successful than any Switch ports. And if Game Freak really did want to accommodate the Switch sooner than later, a simulatenous release of 3DS/Switch versions of the same game would work best.

True. I did have that thought in the back of my head - "How do you promote this in any way that gets people excited?" A few extra features wouldn't really be enough, and it would be a backward step into third version mentality.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom